Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Eisenberg: Colts 'Holy War' Is Over

66 posts in this topic

The chance to exact revenge on the Irsay family is no longer a top priority when facing Indy.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-Colts-Holy-War-Is-Over/91ab84cf-5e15-4eae-b4fd-bf286bff160c]View the full article[/url]

Yes the Holy War has ended pretty much. The principle remains though. Our scoreboard should NEVER read Colts. Your article should not refer to them as Colts, especially so many times. They should always and forever remain Indy. Why? Because it isn't only about Irsay. It isn't only about the snowy midnight sneak of the Mayflower vans. It is about an attitude within the NFL itself that still prevails. One only has to have experienced the shunning of Art Modell from the HOF to know that. We are the red headed step child. We dared to stare down the Commish who thought we should "build a museum". We were to quietly switch our loyalty (and our TV market share) to Washington and move along. Instead, we "stole" the Browns. Read anything and you'll know. Irsay "moved" the Baltimore Colts and Baltimore "stole" the Browns. You're right though about the Holy War. This Sunday let's beat that club from Indy, not because of all that went before, but because of all that lies ahead.

Well, Mr. Eisenberg, unless you were here during those glory days, loved and shed hope with ou BALTIMORE COLTS at Memorial Stadium, and suffered their loss in the middle of the night, then you're in no position to make that call!

I'm a "spurned lover",... who, in 1963, played in a Pop Warner 12-14 Year Old football game during Halftime of a Baltimore Colt vs Detroit game!

I can't stand to see our beloved horseshoe now in Indy! So, I'll take a victory over the "Mayflowers" any day!

speak for yourself john I have had to endure years of watching the redskins because the colts left town then i found the ravens .

Bob Irsay is a bad person enough said! Hope he burns in hell!

May bad karma be spread upon the Irsay family!

I grew up with the Baltimore Colts and was crushed when they left. Now I am all in with the Ravens as I could never root for that team in Washington. I am over the fact that the Colts moved to Indy after all these years.

Keep this in mind: The Colts have now been in Indy almost as long as the Colts were in Baltimore. Time to move on.

Not sure I agree - just look at my avatar and you'll get an idea why.

The franchise itself, operated by the Irsay family, was garbage at the time they left and remained garbage for another 20 years. The loss of the franchise was not the true loss ...

We will forever have to deal with the loss of our history. That can never be regained and that loss will remain a source of serious irritation for anyone who witnessed this team in its glory days before the Irsay family bought it and turned it into crap.

Agree. There's no future in dragging up the past. I'll be more then happy to call them the Colts. RAVENS 34 COLTS 13 !

I saw a piece of clothing in the Walmart out here that really made me angry.

Was a sweatshirt that listed the Indianapolis Colts' TWO Super Bowl victories. I wanted to take all those sweatshirts and shred them. I looked at my fiance and snarled quietly, "The INDIANAPOLIS Colts DID NOT win Super Bowl V. The BALTIMORE Colts won Super Bowl V!!!!"

And people tell me to "get over it." Never.

Good article John. Yes, I was part of The Colts when they left, but I've moved on. Balt. & our fans are much better off with The Ravens and their owner than we ever woulda been with the colts.

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1357059341' post='1285766']
I saw a piece of clothing in the Walmart out here that really made me angry.

Was a sweatshirt that listed the Indianapolis Colts' TWO Super Bowl victories. I wanted to take all those sweatshirts and shred them. I looked at my fiance and snarled quietly, "The INDIANAPOLIS Colts DID NOT win Super Bowl V. The BALTIMORE Colts won Super Bowl V!!!!"

And people tell me to "get over it." Never.
[/quote]

Exactly. This speaks to the loss of our history, that I talked about in my previous post. That has been taken away forever and that loss is not to be taken lightly.

Of course, to ravensdfan's point, it is not the fault of the city of Indianapolis. The blame for this lies with the league itself. "Build a museum" ... wow, how could I have forgotten that quote. It speaks volumes on how we are viewed by the league.

While my previous posts have spoken to a continued harboring of resentment that will not be forgotten, I do understand the sentiment by those who believe we should move on. No doubt, we are fortunate to have such a quality franchise representing Baltimore.

Despite the pain that will always be there regarding the loss of our past, it is true that the current focus needs to be about building a new history for Baltimore football.

I agree with Eisenberg for the most part on this. Now John, if you could just convince the hatemongerers in the Cleveland media to stop blocking Art Modell from the HOF using the same logic, we'll be set.

colts are real old news in baltimore now. Love the Ravens. What other team will get you SB in 1st couple years.i can name about million things what colts don't have and we got it.How about Ray Lewis for the starter. how abt you guys tell me wht u think.LET'S GO RAVENS TIME TO WRITE HISTORY!

Here is the big Baltimore question:

Would you rather have Peyton Manning on your team or Ray Lewis?

I'm inching toward Peyton Manning. He never misses a game!

@ Corvus-- I agree. But the difference is Baltimore got a winning team in exchange with colts and Cleveland is stuck with Brownies!!! So they have nothing to cheer for besides looking at us and feeling jealous :)

Hey to all the 11 people that voted my post down.

Teams that have franchise QBs are more stable!

A strong defense can only take you so far if you don't have an elite QB!

Teams with elite QBs will have more fans and will get more media attention!

I think it's died down because it's been over 20 years now.
There's a lot of football fans that weren't even born then and even more that were too young to care.
I lived a half mile from the stadium when the Colts left and was pelting the trucks with snowballs as they were leaving around 11:30 at night in a snow storm
I'll never forget it and the way the NFL was shoving the Redskins down our throats.

@12mandynasty:

He could have played but he let the doctors have too much control over him!

Do I find it ironic that people say Baltimore stole the Browns? Unlike Indy we gave back there history, records, etc. I mean the whole purpose of going to Baltimore was to achieve a SB and we did that in 4 or 5 years. After all these years Cleveland still hates Art Modell, not his fault they can rarely find good players. On the other hand Isray just left and stole all our records, Super Bowls, and Championships. Luckily it wasn't the Johnny Unitas era. The way the NFL treated the city of Baltimore was ridicules. Current Colt fans treat it as another game, but they truly don't no what they received. Oh well, both the Baltimore Ravens and Indy Colts have the same amount of SB's since the Colts left and the Ravens were made. Lets just win the game and move on to our road to a Lombardi Trophy.

[quote name='KidNme' timestamp='1357067403' post='1285895']
I think it's died down because it's been over 20 years now.
There's a lot of football fans that weren't even born then and even more that were too young to care.
I lived a half mile from the stadium when the Colts left and was pelting the trucks with snowballs as they were leaving around 11:30 at night in a snow storm
I'll never forget it and the way the NFL was shoving the Redskins down our throats.
[/quote] If i am not mistaken 2013 will make 30 years since that snowy night. I was still very bitter up until a few years ago. I will never forgive the Irsay family but i am getting over it more as the years pass. They played in Balt for 30 years and have been gone for 30 years. The Ravens are an excellent organization and have been putting some great teams on the field. The fans of Cleveland knew this move was coming but we Colt fans were made fools by Bob Irsay.

[quote name='GoldRaven' timestamp='1357061558' post='1285813']
Here is the big Baltimore question:

Would you rather have Peyton Manning on your team or Ray Lewis?

I'm inching toward Peyton Manning. He never misses a game!
[/quote]

I suggest you go buy a #18 Broncos jersey and donate your Ravens gear to those less fortunate and more deserving. Get off the bandwagon you've been riding, you're no longer a part of this.

I grew up with the Baltimore Colts. I loved the teams we had thru the years. Every Sunday. Now I can honestly say that they are just another team the Ravens play. But I still don't like seeing our shoes on the side of their helmets.

@GoldRaven Sorry buddy, there's no such thing as perfect. You see the Broncos right? Yeah there on a 11 game win streak...but guess what there the exact type of team to get knocked out easily. Ask the Falcons, Packers, even some fans from the 2006 season when we had the number 1 seed how that went. Its always the underdog, remind how we won our Super Bowl again?