Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 1/1: Ravens Interested In Any 'Black Monday' Coaches?

82 posts in this topic

Pagano said Ravens insider knowledge an ‘advantage.’ Did Ravens purposely draw Colts?

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-11-Ravens-Interested-In-Any-Black-Monday-Coaches/c5d332c1-f9e5-4677-bb25-41b04f8d11bb]View the full article[/url]

It's interesting situation! Do we stick with Jim Caldweld or not while Turner and Gailey are available?

Norv Turner or Chan Gaily, proven guys, could be perfect fits as Oh-Coordinator for Joe E-Lite to get him to that heretofore elusive next level!

Yet, Jim Caldwell may well prove to be the answer to Joe's advancement after all. Tough decisions!!!

@Mystigo_Dragon

Bro, you have to stop with that "Joe is elite" talk. I like Flacco, but he's only an above-average QB. He's not in the same tier as Brady or Manning, not that I'm knocking him for that. Joe is good for what we do, or at least what I want to do. That means handing the ball off to Ray Rice and working out of the shotgun and play action. Working with some new OC won't make Joe a complete stud QB.

He's more of a Matt Schaub in my eyes.

Lets see what these first year coaches can do in the playoffs before we're looking for anyone else.

That argument about how much Chuck Pagano know about the Ravens defense and Bruce Arians knows about Dean Pees also works the other way around. The Ravens defense knows how Chuck Pagano's mind works and like wise Dean Pees know what a Bruce Arian offense looks like. Bottom line: I don't see familiarity being an advantage for either team.

@wnst: Marshal Yanda on his status for the Indianapolis game: "I'm playing and I'm going to be going 100 percent on Sunday." #Ravens #NFL [Twitter]

GREAT NEWS.

I liked Tony Dungy at Tampa Bay and he did a nice job in Indy. I suspect a lot of what he says is scripted as much now is counter-point to ESPN's controversy journalism. But he must feel awful at times taking his positions.... Who cares who you play in the second round? Everything goes through Denver and the Ravens were banged up. As a coach, Dungy had to know that.

As for Pags and his knowledge? I wish him the best...next year. I truly believe that his "ex" players want to show him what he left. Pride is important too. As Indy deliberately tried to lose to take the #1 pick and Pags health issues, some feel they are America's darling. The ride is over and the analysts will have to find someone new to gush over. Welcome back to Baltimore and enjoy your sobering flight back home as you plan your tee times.

A coach is only as good as his players,If the players are lackadaisical and don't give their all then you can forget being a coach cause no matter how good you are ( the coach ) the teams going nowhere, same goes for the coordinators, I would like to see Andy Reid become an offensive coordinator for the Ravens,John and Andy worked well together many years ago when he was a Special Team coach for the Eagles,i know that's not going to happened cause Andy express his desire to be a head coach and Harbough going to be a head coach hopefully for a long long time

If Caldwell strings together performances out of Flacco like the one we saw against the Giants in back-to-back playoff games, he officially has earned the right to stay, imho. Cam got fired, so the season is a success in my eyes anyway.

Isn't it interesting that Pagano and Arians have an advantage going against Ravens, but, Caldwell has no advantage going against Colts? Another example of no love for the Purple and Black. Go Ravens!!!!!

I think if Jim comes out with a great game play and we do very well and get to the SB or lose a very close game (Like the AFC Champ. game) He will keep his job. By the way they must have forgot that CALDWELL was the HC for the (Indianapolis) Colts.

[quote name='lwebb21' timestamp='1357055808' post='1285704']
Isn't it interesting that Pagano and Arians have an advantage going against Ravens, but, Caldwell has no advantage going against Colts? Another example of no love for the Purple and Black. Go Ravens!!!!!
[/quote]

They probably say that because there's some truth to it. When a new head coach comes in, there is a new scheme that is put into place. It's more than likely a completely different approach. When a coordinator leaves, the overall feel of the scheme of the unit (this case the defensive side, and even the offense to some extent) probably doesn't change all that much. So if you were talking about advantages, Pagano would have more of one than Caldwell would. But I think advantages like that are just talk. You still have to perform.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1357054179' post='1285681']
Pagano is the enemy as far as I'm concerned.
[/quote]

I know, but I like the guy a lot with dealing with cancer and all that but you are right, NO MERCY!! Lets show them how be play RAVENS FOOTBALL!

i expect the ravens to destroy the colts at m&t bank stadium in front of the best fans in football. i smell a ravens blowout

John Harbaugh doesn't lose in the first round of the Playoffs and that trend is not ending this year. Not against a rookie HC and rookie QB. The spin doctors can spin this one any way they want to as far as "competitive edges" are concerned; bottom line is the Colts just don't have what it would take to beat the Ravens at The Bank in a playoff game-- not this year.

harbs didnt lose this game on purpose so we could play the colts. he did the right thing of buying time for his injured players to get healthier for the playoffs.

[quote name='Blackbird11' timestamp='1357054052' post='1285680']
@Mystigo_Dragon

Bro, you have to stop with that "Joe is elite" talk. I like Flacco, but he's only an above-average QB. He's not in the same tier as Brady or Manning, not that I'm knocking him for that. Joe is good for what we do, or at least what I want to do. That means handing the ball off to Ray Rice and working out of the shotgun and play action. Working with some new OC won't make Joe a complete stud QB.

He's more of a Matt Schaub in my eyes.
[/quote]

I donno, Blackbird! Caldwell may very well fix Joe's cement feet and quicken his release now that Cam's not here, so who's to say he doesn't improve!

Agree he's got an above-average arm, but lacks something when it comes to picking apart a defense! That can be taught too!

So, besides an O Line, he needs some coaching up on mechanics, reads and release and someone who can call a game that makes sense and then we'll see if he becomes more consistent!

And, Joe E-Lite is my counter to Joe Cool, okay!

Do we not have an equal advantage having Caldwell on our side? A man who was the HC in Indy and was with the organization for years? Do we not also have some advantage given that we know Pagano himself and know what approach his defense will take?

Sorry - it is going to come down to execution anyway. If we play our game, Indy looses, strategic advantage or not.

I don't understand Dungy's viewpoint here. It is insane to say the Ravens lost on purpose. They wanted to win that game, but they wanted to give players rest and not risk injury to a key player with the playoffs in front if us. It is that simple. Stop trying to make more out of it than is there.

If our O-line can hold their own for 60 mins i think we have a good chance like any other team. Plus Marshal Yanda on his status for the Indianapolis game: "I'm playing and I'm going to be going 100 percent on Sunday." #Ravens #NFL [Twitter] is a good new and RAY coming back.
every battle need its soldiers n general. As far as knowing each other game plan and personal. Coach can tell you everything about other team n if you don't play well don't mean anything...LET'S GO RAVENS TIME TO WRITE HISTORY.

I think the reasoning behind the Ravens resting their starters is simple. What are the chances of the Pats losing to the Dolphins, and how much value would you put on a beaten up team getting another week of rest before the playoffs? With the Pats winning in Miami, looks like Harbs made the right call.

Ravens need to be careful with this game. 5 years ago other fans were saying the same thing about our rookie coach and rookie QB... We went to the AFC championship game.. If we hit hard and play how were capable, no one will stop us!!!

"%u201CIf Joe Flacco gets outplayed by Andrew Luck, what an indictment on him and the contract he is asking for,%u201D NFL Network analyst Marshall Faulk said. "

Joe BETTER NOT let that happen.

I'm going with Caldwell, he's in the building and know what the offense was missing. Waiting to see playoff play calling and the play calling against the Giants was packed with what everybody been asking for.

I'm waiting for the keep Caldwell if your smart article.

Oh wow what a shocker, Marshall Faulk is bashing Joe Flacco. I wonder if there isn't some deep rooted issue Faulk has with the organization because he and Jamie Dukes are two of the biggest Ravens bashes on tv that are serious commentators, not like that idiot from espn that trashes Flacco. Goes to show how much of a name he has made for himself, I can't remember it.

We have to remember also that Houston and Indy were playing at the same time we were. So, given that Indy got ahead and stayed ahead in that game,made it likely Houston was going to lose, which then gave NE reason to win so they could move up in the seedings. Once Harbaugh and Co. saw that, it was time to rest the starters, regardless of any pregame plans. It then became obvious that no way NE was going to lose, which meant the outcome of our game was meaningless. In other words, why risk injury to starters when it's obvious we can't benefit from a victory? No brainer.....

Our defense was banged up all year, had nothing to do with who coached the defense. I'm glad Ravens coaches keep getting head coaching jobs throughout the league.

My question is does the Ravens produce the most head coaches in the NFL since 96'? Maybe that should be a wall in the Ravens 'Ring of Honor'.

As for Caldwell staying w/us, we don't know what he wants to do. It was said that he'd still like to Head Coach again. I think after we win the SB they will all sit down and discuss it. Which puts us at a bit of a disadvantage, since other teams will start plucking off the good available coaches. Personally, I hope he stays on w/us.