Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Eric DeCosta Staying In Baltimore

36 posts in this topic

The Ravens have been contacted by teams requesting to interview Assistant GM Eric DeCosta.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eric-DeCosta-Staying-In-Baltimore/adaf37fc-52d1-4090-bebb-ba42f6de1a4d]View the full article[/url]

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, January 1, 2013 - Off topic · Report post

Not familiar with the coaching staffs on the teams who have fired their head coaches, but are there any really good Offensive Line coaches in amongst them?

I really do feel for all the coaches that get fired every year. I know this much - every coach puts in an incredible amount of time and preparation and sacrifice so much for this game... more importantly their families sacrifice just as much in that their husbands, fathers, etc. are never home much. The insecurity of the NFL must be really taxing on all of them. But, I am glad the Ravens have so much stability and that must be a factor when we recruit! Go Ravens!

Owners are shuffling, arm-fighting, and mouth spitting, trying to get through DeCosta's door; unfortunately, the door is forever shut and sealed with high-tech concrete wall with thermal lance installed.....

Hey, Front desk...WE believe in you. But try to figureout why we are NOT drafting so well from couple years.

AND SO IT STARTS AGAIN!!!
I hate this time of year when it comes to this stuff.
We lose so many good coaches every year.
I am glad they set Decosta up for life here. One less coach to worry about losing.

A number of GM's were shown the door today and its a good thing we have a GM in waiting. As much as we like to think " The Wizard of OZ" can do no wrong, just like players, there needs to be competition for positions.

To Eric,
This speaks volumes of how well this organization is being run. When a person in your position shows that he wants to stay in Baltimore, it means a lot to us fans. I wish you all the best and want you to know how much I appreciate all that you have done to improve this team.

Go Ravens and let's win some championships!!!!

[quote name='throwback2000' timestamp='1356998739' post='1285327']
It's no secret that in 3 of the last 4 drafts that our top draft picks (mostly falling to the 2nd round), have not panned out. That is why our defense has fallen on hard times. The guys that we have brought in to take over for the free agents that we continue to lose are not maturing. A number of GM's were shown the door today and its a good thing we have a GM in waiting. As much as we like to think " The Wizard of OZ" can do no wrong, just like players, there needs to be competition for positions.
[/quote]I think you're wrong. I think we've had some very good picks in our last 4 drafts.2012- Courtney Upshaw starts so does Kelechi Osemele. bernard pierce probably would start on most teams that didnt have Ray Rice. 2011-Jimmy Smith has suffered some injuries but will be a starter. Torrey Smith is excellent. Jah Reid is a starter. 2010- Sergio Kindle, I believe would have been a beast if he hadnt fallen down some stairs and busted his melon. Terrence Cody was better last year but still was pretty good. Ed Dickson,pretty good but hurt this year. 2009 Oher, starter. Kruger, Starter. Webb, a star but hurt.
Looks like some good drafting to me.

Other teams see how the Ravens run things and want what we have because we win here and keep pushing though all the headaches and stick together as a organization.I'm glad we have the staff we have.Class A ORGANIZATION!

Yes, it is nice that Eric will be here when Oz leaves. Personally, I love post-season football... especially when the Ravens are playing.

For the shortsighted fans who think the Ravens have not drafted well recently here's a nugget to chew on: This organization has made the postseason each of the past 5 years and 6 of the past 7. What that means, my friends, is that you are drafting in the bottom quarters of all rounds of those drafts; and the Ravens still manage to snag some solid players and a few Probowl players in the making. The Texans have a lot of good players because virtually all those guys are top 10 or top 15 players in whichever round they were drafted-- that means perennial underachieving that gives a team a high draft position year after year. Is that what you want as fans?

We are like New England, we don't produce too many "rookies of the year", but consistent coaching and player improvement ensures that our drafted players improve over time and become starters (unfortunately that often means that they leave via FA just after they have started making significant contributions, but that's a story for another day). Pittsburgh has a slightly different model: They are a hot and cold team-- make the playoffs two years (even win the Superbowl in one) and are a mediocre .500 team another year. So they use the "lean" years to bolster their roster-- not too bad, but making the post-season every year sure is nice... now if we can only add one or two Lombardi trophies to the mix to keep the one we got in 2000-01 company!

Aside From Upshaw and if Jimmy williams played safety not corner then that would be 2 guys off hand Oher was a bust the movie should be re-done ,all i have to say is Burfict was not drafted at all and he was a guy i was High on many fans were high on and we had nothing to lose except chunk change on him ,thats all im saying with the poor drafting i dont expect to get a immediate starter ,i do believe Our scouting could be better then it is and our approach we always trade back we should trade up then you think about it this way were only a few guys every year from winning it all ,We dont think long term and a case could be made both ways i understand this ,but let me ask this Who have we brought in that ray can teach and whom have we brought in who Ed Reed will Teach answer is Nobody and these are 2 players who are playing well after there expected Peeks ,But who was to think they could both play at this high of a level for so long,Burfict or Hightower were both there and worth the risks ,and Ed Reed theres been plenty of Safeties that have been options we passed on for a player of no need example Antony allen ,Damien Berry Oniel cousins Bryon mattison ,sergio kindle ,although that one i cant fault in all fairness Texas should have told the Nfl or whoever about his condition going in the Draft i think they didnt want to red flag him from being a high board pick,but see a Pattern all those guys are gone i can be here all day Gaithers Big guy didnt want to play 100% ,,i am encouraged tho as a Ravens Fan that our guys want to stay here minus out teams stealing every D-cord we get ,but this guy Decosta knows in Baltimore he has it made then anywhere else.

Jimmy smith lol sorry got Cary williams stuck in my head because im looking at this weeks matchups

[quote name='throwback2000' timestamp='1356998739' post='1285327']
A number of GM's were shown the door today and its a good thing we have a GM in waiting. As much as we like to think " The Wizard of OZ" can do no wrong, just like players, there needs to be competition for positions.
[/quote]

No.

Ozzie Haters:

You folks just make me laugh. It's not just about having an outstanding draft record (which is comprised from a staff effort, headed by Ozzie), but it's about key FA signings, key trades, and key Undrafted FA signings. It's about assembling the right coaches, timely extensions, and timely releases. Success!...Success!...Success!

He has headed the fielding of a record-breaking Super Bowl team, and a continuous presence in the post-season. He has led the way to surpassing our fiercest rival, and a domination of the division. He has GM'd this organization from perennial joke to elite-of-elite in class and talent. Even with this year's problems there is [i][b]no[/b][/i] team in the playoffs that [i][b]really[/b][/i] wants to face us.

The track record speaks for itself, no matter how much you try to rewrite the facts. Yet, you still [complain] and whine! You people[i][b] [/b][/i]really need to stop it! [i][b]Really!!![/b][/i]

if ozzie does not retire within 5 years i think eric will leave. he must know something we do not. plus seeing how phil savage and george kokinis didnt fair so well after leaving has played in decision as well

I'm glad that we made sure last year that DeCosta would stay where he belongs. Good solid move on our part and it will pay dividends for years to come.

He's Ozzie's heir-apparent and his loyalty will be rewarded someday and insure a GM continuation of excellence that will be apparent on Draft Day!

I am with you Ravens West. So many times when an article is posted we see the controversial comments come ranting out. No one could ask for a better GM than the one we have here in Baltimore. Where there are changes, there is ALWAYS a purpose. Ozzie has been nothing short of amazing when it has come to selection of players and coaches. We have had very few... VERY few unsuccessful in this organization... and maybe those that were??? Just weren't meant to be Ravens.

It's kind of like how Harbs said about how you love to see players come through the system as a coach, and "that's what you strive for." As players develop into something great, so do the staff. Experience and love for an organization breeds a healthy attitude, and a healthy attitudes breed happy, motivated people.

Being a playoff team year after year and a lot of those great things all spawn from this mentality of "growth in our own." It gives us playoff wins, and playoff wins draws in the best talent. It's a cycle, with each component making the wheel turn one more rotation every year.