Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Young Players Get Valuable Game Action

42 posts in this topic

With the Ravens resting the starters, coaches had a chance to evaluate the younger talent.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Young-Players-Get-Valuable-Game-Action/1f0b255a-162e-4810-a4d4-3b4568a921db]View the full article[/url]

Anyone Else Worried that A team will Pick up T.Taylor.

RG3 Doesn't have jack on Taylor. This dude can ball, Best Pocket awareness in the league. It sucks that the WRers were giving up on plays and Taylor had an even worse O line Than Flacco ( lol if thats even possible)

I really enjoyed watching gradkowski he did an awesome job . deonte thompson i don't get why he lays down to catch the ball ....and tyrod did a good job as well looking forward to the playoffs.

Define "pocket awareness"?

By that, do you mean Taylor is great at leaving the pocket on basically every snap? If so, then yes he has great "pocket awareness".

I would much rather see him not flee the pocket after 2 seconds, stand tall in the pocket, step up, and throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field. If he can't do that, then he really has no use.

And no, nobody in the league will watch yesterdays game and feel like they should trade for Taylor. There's a ton of backups in the league just like him, with equal size, athleticism, and skill sets.

I enjoyed seeing Gino get some reps. It seems like our future is secure at the center position. Now imagine if we had wasted our first round pick on Peter Konz.

I thought Gino Gradkowski looked good. I hope he will be ready to take over for Birk next year to add to the youth on our O-Line.

Bottom line is the young guys played pretty damn good against a decent team that made the playoffs. In many respects they outplayed the Bengals. If it was not for the pick-six that should not have been thrown, the 45 yard missed FG, and a few BS calls by the refs we would have had a road win with these up and coming young studs. They all played hard to the end, especially Pierce, and should be commended. All in all, I don't have very much to complain about. I actually enjoyed the heck out of watching this game.

rmcrack23......... You never liked Tyrod to begain with

By that, do you mean Taylor is great at leaving the pocket on basically every snap? If so, then yes he has great "pocket awareness".

I would much rather see him not flee the pocket after 2 seconds, stand tall in the pocket, step up, and throw the ball more than 5 yards down the field. If he can't do that, then he really has no use.

And no, nobody in the league will watch yesterdays game and feel like they should trade for Taylor. There's a ton of backups in the league just like him, with equal size, athleticism, and skill sets.ain with..

redred,

Correct, I didn't. I never attempted to hide the fact that I thought anybody who thought he would be a better QB for this team than Flacco doesn't know a lot about football. I've made that pretty clear all along.

I would be more than happy to change my thinking... if I see something I want to see. I, unlike most people, had no interest in Taylor showing off his athleticism, his ability to evade pass rushers, etc. I've seen that, as has everyone else.

As bad as this sounds... you know what I really wanted to see from Taylor yesterday? I wanted to see him stand in the pocket, go through reads 1, 2, 3, and maybe even 4, and then take a sack. Why? Because that's what every quality QB in the NFL does at certain times. I don't recall a single time where Taylor stood in the pocket and let the play develop. It was read 1, or run. That was it.

And maybe it had something to do with playing with a backup offensive line. But then again, I and everybody else on these boards has complained about not having a good starting offensive line all year anyway.

And for the majority of the second half, it was against second string pass rushers too. Lets not kid ourselves.

@rmcjacket23

You wanted to see him play with the starters but you didn't. You wanted him to have Boldin, Smith & Pitta available with the rest of the cast.

No, I knew he wouldn't. But to me, that doesn't change much.

Whether it's Boldin running a route or Thompson running a route, I want to see him attempt to throw the ball down the field (more than 5 yards). Whether it's Torrey Smith running a 15 yard out route, or David Reed, I want to see him at least attempt to make that throw. He did not.

If he attempted those throws, and the receivers ran bad routes or dropped balls, then we can have that conversation. But the attempts weren't even there.

The bottom line for me is this, and I've said this several times on these boards all year...

I understand (though disagree) with sentiments about Flacco not being the answer for this team. But based on the game film, practice time, etc. that I've seen, I've drawn 2 conclusions:

1. If Flacco is the starter, and Taylor is the backup, and Flacco gets a long-term injury, this team is in big trouble offensively.

2. If Flacco is dropped, the answer at QB is not on this current roster.

@rmcjacket23

You don't remember the pass almost for a TD but faded out of bounds, Jacoby Jones reception? He threw it a yard to far right, but that was your more than 5 yard pass.

And I would say your memory of someone who hasn't had any chance with starters is equal to just that. Kind of worthless, no personal shot at you but when has he ran a game with our starters to really feel him out?

I'm not defending him as wanting him as a starter but defending him as he hasn't played with a powerhouse unit ever in the NFL yet.

Really great to see the guys we don't get to see playing in a regular season, although meaningless game!

I feel really great about our youth movement, especially on Defense,... concerned about the O Line!

I see that there's no middle ground in the Flacco-Taylor debate! Fans can's seem to accept loyal fans who believe that, at present, Joe is not much more than an average quarterback with a big arm and terrible footwork!

At present Tyrod Taylor is Joe's Back-up,... not as big, not as strong and doesn't have Joe's arm, but he is exciting and made some plays in the NFL!

If Joe goes down then Tyrod's gonna be the man!

Glad to see that the youth movement is paying some dividends in the year of the wounded defense!

Gradkowski and the rest of the interior line did a fantastic job with Geno Atkins. The whole week all I heard about was Atkins this, Atkins that. Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but it was so sweet to see our young 2nd string shut him down. It's a shame the same can't be said for our tackles...

And when do backups every really get a shot with the regulars? Is that what we should really be doing?

Rookies, backups, etc... rarely do they start with the 1st team. Their job is to make impressions on people with the team that they have assembled for them. Hell, there are starters in this league that would kill to play QB for even our backup offensive lines because their teams offensive lines are so bad (Cutler, Romo, anybody playing QB in Arizona).

Taylor is judged based on the body of work he has provided with the circumstances that he is allowed. I'm not going to suddenly project him to do something different with a group of guys that may or may not be better suited for him.

We can play the "well if he had the whole starting cast out there" game all day long. And if the Bengals had their whole starting cast out there who knows. Maybe if the Bengals were attempting to score after halftime, maybe Taylor wouldn't have the luxury of handing off to Pierce 35 times.

We can project all we want, which is why I said I would prefer if Taylor didn't rush for 80 yards and instead stood in the pocket, got hit, and delivered accurate throws.

But myself (and clearly the coaching staff) has seen what we've seen from Taylor and have made an accurate assessment that he is simply the 2nd best QB on this roster. Nothing more.

And I agree with most sentiments about Gradkowski. With an offseason of work, I would strongly consider giving him the starting C gig next season. He's a cheaper option than Birk, and frankly, he very well may be an improvement.

With all the young talent we have plus the free agents we aquired (Ihedigho,McBean,J.Jones,Graham, etc.) and add to that our new draft choices we get in April....we should have a very formidable and deep team next year.
I can see us having back to back Superbowls

Benard shows FO that Ricky will not be missed
Gino shows FO that Birk might not be either
Deonte IMHO could make a real push for the 3rd or 4th WR(depending on what Tommy Streeter does as well as Toss next year)
Omar Brown almost comes up with another turnover as usual
Tyrod gave a nice change of play and game plan, which even with a 2nd string squad, gave a starting Cinci D fits.