23 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,118 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Tyrod Taylor scored his first career touchdown, but also gave up a game-clinching pick six.

View the full article

#2 metalraven

metalraven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

I think he is a really athletic player and an OK QB. But he's definitely not comfortable in the pocket. There were a lot of times when WRs were open down field, but he didn't see them, or chose not to throw to them. He needs to work on his reads. He's definitely exciting, and brings an entirely different style to the Ravens offense. But I would NOT feel comfortable if Flacco went down. But good for Tyrod. It was nice to see him out there.

Edited by metalraven, 30 December 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#3 bioLarzen

bioLarzen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

I think we got from Taylor exactly what it said on the box: top shelf footwork, average throwing. I'd say he left us assured that if Flacco went down, he could come in and contribute - but he's not there to beat him for the starting role.

But he's good for a backup.

bio

#4 redravenfan

redravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

i think with more playing experience taylor is going to be a very good qb. i thought he did a great job and i loved watching him play

#5 bioLarzen

bioLarzen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

What I especially liked was how he fooled the D guys by going for the sideline - just to cut back when he got there to gain some more yards. AFC North D players are definitely not accustomed to QB's not scrambling towards the line as soon as possible :)

bio

#6 bioLarzen

bioLarzen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Watching the Redskins-game... RGIII is doing his best Tyrod Taylor-impersonation :D

bio

#7 whobilly

whobilly

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Can anybody say Troy Smith ? Enough said. Good to have as a backup QB.

#8 JakeNumber55

JakeNumber55

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

What I like about Taylor is that he complements are weak o-line play he can put the footwork on someone to get out of a sack

#9 ravne05

ravne05

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

You better hope Flacco stays healthy Taylor is brutal he hangs in the pocket for about a half a second then just bolts the WR are still running routes by the time they turn around the offensive line and taylor are already back in the huddle waiting for the next play.

Edited by ravne05, 31 December 2012 - 12:41 AM.

#10 RiseNconquer

RiseNconquer

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

There is no QB controversey in Baltimore. That being said, Taylor did much better than I expected and better than Mink is giving him credit for in this article. There is no need to list "mistakes" to temper his performance Tyrod is our back up and this is his first regular season action in two years.

The interception returned for a touchdown came off of a deflection. In fact, play calling had a lot to do with the pick. If the lion share of pass attempts are going to the flats, its only a matter of time before someone on the 6th best defense in the NFL jumps a route. Its not like Taylor threw the ball late in the endzone and chased a guy 99 yards before surrendering a touchdown. In fact, it was nothing like watching the JJ swatt show that we saw in Texas. Dunlap made a great play on a much anticipated pass attempt. That's all it was.

This "miss" to Jacoby Jones was as much Jacoby's fault as Tyrod's. Anyone who watches as much football as I do will notice that Jacoby led the quarterback to the sideline. Help your young QB out. If Jacoby were 3 feet in from the sideline, he gives the QB more space to lay the ball out for him. Touchdown.

Here's one you didn't mention. There was a clear miscommunication between Pierce and Tyrod. Tyrod expected Pierce to cut a route short and Pierce was looking for the pass over the top for a long touchdown sprint. I chalked this up to the first time these two were in a game situation together.

Here's my point. Tyrod did well. Very well. Joe is our quarterback. We don't have to temper Tyrod's performance.

#11 law215

law215

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

Is it me or does Oher getting beat cause a game chanign play just about every week? Not to mention the dumb penalties. People blamed Flacco pocket pressence (not saying it doesn't need to improve), but if your tackle whiffs on guys, the QB is either going to get killed or make a bad play. Taylor was running for his life the whole game.

Oher, Reid got beat like a mule. Some of those guys beating them were backups. Either the Ravens Front office has to draft better or position coaches need to improve. Guys like Oher, Reid, J Smith, Kindle, Cody were supposed to be 1st - 3rd round picks that could fill holes on the roster and not create them. After those draft picks they still have holes at Tackle, LG, pass rusher, and secondary. What a waste of time and cap space.

#12 ravensforsb

ravensforsb

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:03 AM

@law215 idk but I saw one play today where Carlos Dunlap ran around him and about halfway during the play... he just let him loose. That was the most head-scratching bizzare frustrating play of the game leading to fourth down. Carlos literally had just started to try to work around oher then oher just stopped blocking him. To be honest I don't know what had happened!

#13 fusuymada

fusuymada

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

I have been saying Oher was a joke for awhile but the Ravens are determined to play him at left tackle even if he showed up in his u ne'er wear with a broken leg. I can't figure it out because any other left tackle in the league would be sitting by now but the Coaches have a love affair with Oher.

#14 redred

redred

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

GREAT POST

There is no QB controversey in Baltimore. That being said, Taylor did much better than I expected and better than Mink is giving him credit for in this article. There is no need to list "mistakes" to temper his performance Tyrod is our back up and this is his first regular season action in two years.

The interception returned for a touchdown came off of a deflection. In fact, play calling had a lot to do with the pick. If the lion share of pass attempts are going to the flats, its only a matter of time before someone on the 6th best defense in the NFL jumps a route. Its not like Taylor threw the ball late in the endzone and chased a guy 99 yards before surrendering a touchdown. In fact, it was nothing like watching the JJ swatt show that we saw in Texas. Dunlap made a great play on a much anticipated pass attempt. That's all it was.

This "miss" to Jacoby Jones was as much Jacoby's fault as Tyrod's. Anyone who watches as much football as I do will notice that Jacoby led the quarterback to the sideline. Help your young QB out. If Jacoby were 3 feet in from the sideline, he gives the QB more space to lay the ball out for him. Touchdown.

Here's one you didn't mention. There was a clear miscommunication between Pierce and Tyrod. Tyrod expected Pierce to cut a route short and Pierce was looking for the pass over the top for a long touchdown sprint. I chalked this up to the first time these two were in a game situation together.

Here's my point. Tyrod did well. Very well. Joe is our quarterback. We don't have to temper Tyrod's performance

#15 Trevelyan

Trevelyan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

Another player that showed some good ability was Deonte Thompson, even though he only had 4-26, he made some tough catches and deserves to get some starting time next season.

#16 jravens13

jravens13

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Taylor Ranks with most back-up QBs as a guy who is maybe good enough to win a game or two if your starter goes down, but clearly not worth starting for an entire season.

#17 FlyLikeARAVEN22

FlyLikeARAVEN22

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

I like Tryod, but Troy Smith was my guy.

#18 Mystigo_Dragon

Mystigo_Dragon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

QB Tyrod Taylor lacks Joe's size and big arm but he put on display something, innate, that Joe wishes he had - "Pocket Presence"!

Jim Caldwell called a game suited perfectly for Taylor! The Option was run effectively as Tyrod Taylor and Anthony Allen broke off huge runs! Tyrod was on target with his passing! One miscue was a size issue, not a passing issue and the other was because Bernard Pierce didn't turn!

Still, it was exciting to see the Raven Offense move the ball consistently! The game would have been a resounding victory were it not for the offensive penalties!

#19 Mystigo_Dragon

Mystigo_Dragon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Taylor Ranks with most back-up QBs as a guy who is maybe good enough to win a game or two if your starter goes down, but clearly not worth starting for an entire season.

Lemme guess! You love big arms throwing deep, low percentage passes even though, at best, only one of three is completed?

I can see Tyrod Taylor being the Number 1 guy for a number of reasons and if one disagrees, just look down 95 South the D.C.!

I can see him leading a ball control, run-oriented, short pass with runs-after-catch offense that moves the ball consistently featuring Rice, Pierce and Leach hauling the lumber and our Receivers dashing after smart, short catches! Plus, he can throw long when called for, not just because he can!

Yet, to each his own, and we've annointed Joe E-Lite, so I'll go with the flow!

Just don't play Tyrod cheap! He's a baller who could get it done!
Towels? We don't need no stinkin' towels!

#20 jravens13

jravens13

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Lemme guess! You love big arms throwing deep, low percentage passes even though, at best, only one of three is completed?

I can see Tyrod Taylor being the Number 1 guy for a number of reasons and if one disagrees, just look down 95 South the D.C.!

I can see him leading a ball control, run-oriented, short pass with runs-after-catch offense that moves the ball consistently featuring Rice, Pierce and Leach hauling the lumber and our Receivers dashing after smart, short catches! Plus, he can throw long when called for, not just because he can!

Yet, to each his own, and we've annointed Joe E-Lite, so I'll go with the flow!

Just don't play Tyrod cheap! He's a baller who could get it done!

Dude did you not watch that game? If you actually think Taylor is a better option than Flacco you are out of your mind. We have made the playoffs 5 straight years with Flacco which happens to be the longest streak in the NFL right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users