Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Would Patriots Lose To Get No. 4 Seed?

76 posts in this topic

New England could dictate all AFC wild-card matchups with a loss and Ravens’ victory.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Would-Patriots-Lose-To-Get-No-4-Seed/8ca40230-b82a-4e53-845a-b43f89e6e684]View the full article[/url]

short answer is No!... long answer is they still got a chance to be 1st or 2nd seed and get a bye week so again No!... well there you have it

If it came down to it, next Tom Brady would much rather be at home wearings his Uggs and snuggling up with Gisele than playing a first round playoff game.

Idk Would they...??? I mean it would be cool if they lose but its a two part thing would the Texans lose to get the 2nd seed?? Then I would be satisfied

No way would they miss a chance to move up in the playoffs instead of down. Not even Brady and Belichick are that idiotic.

Ravens better win! Period! I will be rooting for the 'phins! NE can upset both of the tops seed. Ravens can beat the Broncos and or Texans. Meaning AFC championship game round 2 Pats vs Ravens in B-More!! Ravens need to be as explosive when they played the G-men.

Really it does matter to me who we play , my hope if i had one would be to play the Bangals. we have there number so why not. then we move up to the SEXANS OR PATS no matter after the first one so forget the seed thing I want the Bangals.

Its likely that if the Ravens win the Pats will throw the game, the pats play at 4 so they will know all the results and whether its possible for them to move up, and if everyone wins out nobody wants to play the broncos, period. Its smarter for the Ravens to take the week off and go in 4th, it'll give backups valuable play tine and people like ngata, boldin and reed a week to get healthy

I noticed that The Pats always seem to get the easiest schedule every year!! No team in there division has a winning record.The Ravens on the other hand always have a very difficult schedule,partly because we have such a tough division.In the new Madden, the Ravens are rated an 86,and the Pats are rated a 90.I don't see how they are making there grades. We beat the Pats,and are only one game behind them.Also we have the tougher schedule and division!! If we were in there shoes we would probably be 14 and 1.Just wanted to show how people disrespect Bmore,and jump on the popular teams sacks!! Madden is a joke!!!

I don't want to see the Pats pick the easy way to the Superbowl. Let's lose on purpose so they have to face Cincy and then Houston or Denver, rather than a lesser squad. I'd feel more comfortable going against Andrew (I like to throw picks) Luck, than Andy (I have no soul because I'm a ginger) Dalton.

i think while they still have a chance to snatch a one or two seed they won't throw anything a bye week is very inticing this late in the year esp if the texans continue to implode and play badly .

If you're suggesting that they might "throw the game", that is doubtful and far fetched.
Also, it would be a hard sell to make that look right. Maybe even harder than simply playing normal and winning. They are a good football team but I doubt that they have the talent to choreograph such an academy award winning acting feat.

Also, reedlookalike15 has the right answer. The Ravens just need to win.
Four game winning streak and we hoist the Lombardi. That's waht reallt matters here regardless of what the Pats do.

Who cares what they do at this point.. This is all a new season now...whoever they shall put in front of us will be handled as they should be !!! "Welcome to the Post-Season Football, Ya'all"!!

All very interesting stuff. Also interesting is the fact that the NFL just recently moved the Patsies game back to a late game. Hmmmmm......

The sad part is??? I can actually see the Patriots doing something like this, regardless of what Bellichek says. It wouldn't be far-fetched at all. Texans have lost of late, and the Broncos are on fire... It's not likely that the Patriots would take those seedings... but if they could play a lower caliber team to advance, I believe they would.

That's an absolute REACH! If the Pats move to the 4th seed allowing Baltimore to be the 3 seed. They could end up right back in M&T Bank Stadium. Something I'm sure they don't want.. if they happen to lose; then so be it. But I firmly believe "The Hoodie" will play his starters long enough to secure a win!

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Intentionally losing a football game?... You don't think... NAH!... They would never do something like that... would they?[/font][/i]

Well, one thing that is more important to the paytoilets...and that is having the AFC championship at home. If they lose and we win, then we would host the AFC championship. I'm sure that they believe they will be in that game, so they probably are looking at that too.

I mean, it's a good question because if the Pats do want the #4 seed, not only do they get the Colts, but if they win (and assuming Baltimore wins against the Bengals in wildcard) then the Pats go to Houston (assuming they're homefield advantage beating the Colts tomorrow) and Baltimore goes to the Broncos and Houston showed that they crumble on the big stage.

Four seed assures looks more promising as we would host the colts and travel to Houston. I would much rather face Houston in a climate controlled environment with them on a losing streak, rather than facing Denver in the cold or possible snow.

Look a Belichick's past. He will do whatever it takes. The entire NFL playoff system is now in play. If we don't use it they will. Smart decisions win it.

No way that happens. They will play to win. And this is a team that loves to flaunt its supremacy. Not only will they play for the highest seed, but they will run the score up.

I don't put anything past Belichick. He's been in this league for a very long time and has proven himself as a coach. He will do whatever he feels is best to win the SB. All we can do is win games and prepare ourselves, regardless of who we may be facing.

No one wants to play the Broncos right now. We certainly don't. I'd much rather play the Bengals or Colts then see how the other teams fare.

all of this trickery stuff isn't guaranteed! the team that you "think" you want may be the team that bounces you right out of the playoffs in the 1st round. smh! just play ball!

~Mili

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I think conference winners should just be decided by some weird football-version of Chinese checkers. That way, it doesn't matter who's doing what. All six-teams on the field at once. Kind of like another game we used to play when I was younger, something about "smearing a certain demographic".[/i][/font]

I really don't like the idea of playing the same team two weeks in a row. That's just ludicrous.

SMH....

Belichick never gives up. Ever. Even when his team is ahead by 40, the Pats will continue to plow away their competition. This whole article is just a fanboy's fantasy. A better title would be [i]What if the Dolphins Upset the Patriots at Foxboro?![/i]

With all that being said, the Ravens could do the same thing and lose on purpose to set up the game with Indy and subsequent game against Houston.

I dont care what they do! The Ravens are gonna Beat Down anybody in their way! The pats better do whats best and try and Stay Away from the Ravens! No more cam, just in case they didnt get the memo!

This all is due to the bad playoff-system. It could all be liminated by letting the best wild-card round franchise choose who they want to play with - and the remining two teams would play the other wild-card game. That would make it worth to go for the #3 seed.

bio

And, BTW, I agree with Belichick (and Mink, see the Mailbag-video): this momentum-thing is way overblown. See the "momentum" the Ravens arrived with at the Giants-game - and look what it came to. Or, we can all remember the huge momentum the hammering of the steelers in week#1 last season gave us - and then came the Titans...

I don't think any NFL-team really goes for any kind of "momentum".

bio

Man o man I would just love to see the looks on the Patriot's face if they should lose to the Miami Dolphins, I know it may not happened but it could,you just never know, you know they say to be the best you have to beat the best

Personally, I don't trust Belicheck , never have. He gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "by any means necessary". With the scheduling of the game times Sunday the option has definately been placed right at his feet. If it would give him and the Pats a better road to SB...well let me just say, I wouldn't put it past him!

[quote name='Grapple Raven' timestamp='1356819626' post='1281959']
Personally, I don't trust Belicheck , never have. He gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "by any means necessary". With the scheduling of the game times Sunday the option has definately been placed right at his feet. If it would give him and the Pats a better road to SB...well let me just say, I wouldn't put it past him!
[/quote]

I agree but my question is, why doesn't the NFL step in and flex the Pats game ? That would be the fair thing to do. Wait, I'll answer my own question. The NFL isn't about being fair, it plays favorites, i.e., Pats, Steelers and wherever Peyton is.

We should lose. I hate these stupid games that the NFL sets up for the Pats. It's no surprise that they've had this option before and will again. They are playing in NE. I think, but wherever they are playing, they have no reason to be on after 1 p.m. The NFL just love those Pats. That's why I hate them, because they often get handed advantages, either from the refs, or from the league. Dig it.

Personally, i hate the patriots a ton, but they would be very smart to lose this game. They have already played both the colts and texans, and beat the crap out of both of them. The would handle the colts very easily at home. The texans are not very good against good passing teams, like the pats. Even if it is at Houston, i don't think they would handle the pats there. The broncos are rolling, and are a lot better than when they played the pats. I would much rather play the Texans in the 2nd round than the broncos, so they would be smart. We would also be smart to lose, so we get the colts and texans. But all said and done,it doesn't matter, we will have to go on the road and beat a quality team eventually.

Another note, i just thought about all the teams the Patriots have played this season. The only good team they have played away from home is us. The had the Colts, Broncos, Texans, and 49ers all at home. Tell me the nfl doesn't set that up in their favor??????

And by the way even if you think that Pats may want to loose that means they risk coming to Baltimore for possible AFC championship game!!

And I am pretty sure out of Houston, Denver and Baltimore, M&T is the last place they would wanna come and play for AFC Championship. lol

i would lose if i was the Coach better chance Brady gets hurt against the Bengals then Colts,Brady is a one man show there and the reason i say that is because i csnt even think of who brady's backup has been over there for the last several years,my thing or issue is what if the Bengals want to lose on Purpose to Play us rather then head to NE alot of questions,but i prefer playing a Rookie QB and a team we wouldnt play 2 weeks in a row theres ups and downs in this one if cincy has any major injuries against us then i say we lose on Purpose lol