Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 12/28: Ed Reed Fined, Not Suspended. Why?

34 posts in this topic

Pollard not bothered by snub. Rice, Atkins set to clash. Local vs. national media picks.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-1228-Ed-Reed-Fined-Not-Suspended-Why/b4a9c10e-fcfc-4d82-bc33-5f01dc682bf2]View the full article[/url]

%u201CI think there is still a message out there for players to say, %u2018Wait a second, if they%u2019re going to try to suspend Ed Reed, we better think [twice] about whether we want to hit these defenseless receivers,%u2019%u201D the AFC North blogger said.

Eh, to me it just sends a message that you guys flip-flop on whats a clean hit and what's not.

And we are some serious under-dogs... Let's go boys. We need to show these people that the Ravens are still the Ravens... and the Bengals... Yes, they are still the Bengals.

Suggs, please have another EPIC game against the Colts like you did last season. What a story that would be. Ravens 1st step to winning the Super Bowl was beating the Mayflowers!

I do not see in any way that was an illegal hit. He went chest high and floored the guy. No head to head at all. The league wants the game to turn into a little to no contact sport and i hope they realize that if they keep changing the rules fans will just stop showing up. Someone needs to stop the commish before he ruins the game. I guess the defender can start going for the knees and wont that be very dangerous. You will see less and less of the receiver risking himself in some pretty routine plays because he is afraid his knees will be demolished.

maybe they should mark spots on player with bulleyes. You can hit here and here and here but here or here.
That hit was a great hit, just like youre suppose to hit. And to call him a defensless player is nuts. He had time to turn and see Reed coming. Thats why he ducked his head.
Some one (owners presumeably) have got to put a stop to these stupid unrightious calls before they ruin the game.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Don't ask "WHY?" ... Jeez, just what we need, for this article to remind the league office they forgot to suspend him this time. Keep it on the DL (and not the defensive line, either!).[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I hope we remain the underdog all the way to New Orleans.[/i][/font]

I can see a fine but not a suspension just off reality in the nfl headquarters I could actually probably see a suspension because of how silly there office could be at sometimes imam just leave that at that. Pollard would have made it and RG3 wouldn't have if not for fan voting, so I don't see a snub. Rice and atkins I think will go well because atkins goes up against birk and yanda. I believe between the two of them the will not let Geno dominate. But I am concerned about there ends Michael Johnson and carlos dunlap. They are a dangerous force for Oher and KO. I honestly believe that our points record would have definatly been broke this year, I am surprised we still have not scored enough points tbh. And I believe the ravens win 23-17

This is the same media that almost unanimously picked the Giants over the Ravens last week. They don't know anything.

It wasn't an illegal hit period. At a MINIMUM, the NFL needs to include an intent clause or something. You can see he was just making a play not trying to murder Cruz. SMH.

"The strange twist is that Baltimore can set a new scoring mark just three games after firing its offensive coordinator..." wrote [Jamison] Hensley. Feeling nostalgic about Cam are you? Well, you have that luxury!

It's about the Lombardi Trophy, Mr. Hensley, not about how many more points you score than in previous years!

The Ravens have a Super Bowl to win for the team, city and Purple Nation; especially for #52, #20 and #55 and we needed to get a warrior!

Cam was no warrior Oh Coordinator and Harbs' blinding loyalty to C.C. may have cost a couple of shots at the Lombardi already!

So, that's no "strange twist"! That's trying to get it done! Jim Caldwell may not be the answer but "C.A.C." [Caldwell ain't Cameron]!

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, December 28, 2012 - Uhh sorry, but no! lol · Report post

Sarah, don't you ever cut your hair until your ninety. I hope this is Ravens football related.

bad call on reed!! receivers are ducking to protect themselves thus putting their heads in the line of fire after the defenders have committed themselves in where they are going to hit or tackle you. nfl must change this rule to protect the defender unless there was clear intent to harm

That hit could have been a lot worse if Reed didnt try to restrain from putting further force into that hit. It is getting to the point where it seems like the refs are just throwing flags going off of crowd reaction. Even if the hit was a "bang bang" play, if the crowd goes "OOOOOHHHHHHHHH" or whatever, there goes the flag. I just wish we could go back to when real football players could play without having to be fined whole salaries(avg working american salaries I mean). this is just too much, you might as well just put flags on the WRs and QBs because that is the only group of ppl positively affected by this.

"[i]Baltimore is averaging 25.4 points (10th best in league) on offense and the Bengals are allowing 20.2 points per game. If those averages keep up[/i] (...)"

Both can't, the same time ;)

bio

Let's start a vote. All in favor of seeing Jamison H. cover another division or sport for ESPN please respond, then I will email the list to him and ESPN. He sucks!!!

At this point the NFL is becoming a JOKE! Either let the guys play football or take all of the equipment off and let them play flag football!

That hit by Ed was one of the best I've seen in a long time that he dished out. It's such a pity the refs are told to err on the side of safety if they aren't sure about a play. If Reed had been suspended there would have been hell to pay.

If the League wasn't taking money in this matter, they wouldn't have the incentive to fine so much. I don't know what they do with the money, but if they're pocketing it, they have all the incentive in the world to keep fining players. And, btw, I saw the hit on the TV like everyone else here; it was GOOD and should be viewed as a legal hit. If they fine a guy for that type of hit, 55,000 is too much, there was no intent to harm, just a GOOD FOOTBALL HIT!!!!! It gives me some relief from an ordinary day, replaying that hit in my mind, WOW!

[quote name='ravenstime' timestamp='1356767580' post='1281618']
If the League wasn't taking money in this matter, they wouldn't have the incentive to fine so much. I don't know what they do with the money, but if they're pocketing it, they have all the incentive in the world to keep fining players. And, btw, I saw the hit on the TV like everyone else here; it was GOOD and should be viewed as a legal hit. If they fine a guy for that type of hit, 55,000 is too much, there was no intent to harm, just a GOOD FOOTBALL HIT!!!!! It gives me some relief from an ordinary day, replaying that hit in my mind, WOW!
[/quote]

Money that the NFL collects in fines goes to various NFL sponsored charities.

They probably deduct it from their taxes though :)