335 replies to this topic

#1 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

After a very lackluster season across the NFL by all accounts, not surprising there's going to be some serious house cleaning come Monday morning. We could be looking at a carousel of head coaches going around. So, who do you think will keep their job? Who will be let go? Who will find it hard to find work anywhere?

Edited by CosmicRedPanda, 12 January 2013 - 11:48 AM.

WE RAISE OUR HEAVY GLASS TO YOU IN OUR INDESTRUCTIBLE DAYS
login.png
MAY HEAVENS CALL TO YOU, MAY STARS ALIGN AND LIGHT YOUR WAY

#2 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

cards might give Ken another year... he didn't really have a qb this year... they might go for alex smith as no good prospect in the draft

#3 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

The only thing I know for certain is that Mike Zimmer should be given a head coaching job somewhere in the NFL next season. My in-laws have known him for years, since he and his late wife moved into the building, and he is personally deserving, as well as professionally. I know that it's crazy to hear such high praise for a Bengals coach on a Ravens forum, but I just hope the man finally gets his wish of coaching a team. I think he'll go to Kansas City.

And if he leaves, I think that softens up their defense, which can only help the rest of the division's offense, right? ;)

I'm a mama of three boys. Nothing scares or disgusts me anymore. 

#4 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Turner's basically admitted he won't be back with the team. He's told reporters that he's looking for available OC positions, so he's read the writing on the wall.

As for Rex Ryan, I'm certain the train wreck that is the Jets' front office will hang onto him for another season. To be fair to Ryan, he took the franchise to the AFCCG his first 2 seasons with the team and has only had 1 losing season since, amidst numerous injuries/draft and free agent busts/and a non-existent offense helmed by 2 horrible OCs (Schottenheimer and Sparano). Most of the blame is on Woody Johnson, Mike Tannenbaum and the players themselves,
<p><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);"><span style="font-size:24px;">Banned</span></span>.</p>

#5 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

The only thing I know for certain is that Mike Zimmer should be given a head coaching job somewhere in the NFL next season. My in-laws have known him for years, since he and his late wife moved into the building, and he is personally deserving, as well as professionally. I know that it's crazy to hear such high praise for a Bengals coach on a Ravens forum, but I just hope the man finally gets his wish of coaching a team. I think he'll go to Kansas City.

And if he leaves, I think that softens up their defense, which can only help the rest of the division's offense, right? ;)

Agreed, and I have always thought highly of Zimmer as well. I will throw Dick Lebeau in there too, but that makes me feel like I should wash out my mouth with soap for saying that.

Black Monday.....always hated it. This is the domain of the knee jerk reactionary owner. Stability is the main thing that seperates contenders and pretenders. The Patriots aren't worried about anything other than winning another Super Bowl. While the Browns keep turning everything over from the GM, to the coaches, and all the way down to schemes and players. I think Phil Dawson the kicker, and Josh Cribbs the returner are the oldest tenured Browns. There is a HUGE difference between the Patriots way, and the Browns way.

So let's get to it, who stays and who goes? My caveat here is that there is usually a surprise firing. Seems to happen every year, and maybe has already happened with Cam Cameron.

The Jury is Still Out-On Mike Mularkey, Rex Ryan, Ron Rivera, Romeo Crennel, and Mike Munchak. Sure these were awful seasons that started with high expectations. The Jags were supposed to be the most improved offense, and the Jets are always play-off bound. Cam Newton was supposed to be resurgent, and the Chiefs were a popular pre-season pick to win their division. Munchak is a good coach on a bad team, and I mean really bad. I just don't think these guys go just yet because most of them are rounding into year three. I think in the case of Rex the GM would go first, but then the new GM may want his own to run the show.

The Hot Seat- is getting super hot for Andy Reid, Lovie Smith, Norv Turner, and Ken Whisenhunt. These coaches have been tenured long enough, and have had enough talent on their rosters to be considered under-achievers. I think of this group Andy Reid is the most villainized by the fan base, and yet adored by the players. The Eagles had a good run with Andy Reid, but will face a serious mutiny from the fans if they keep him. I think this team started to fall apart after Jim Johnson succumbed to cancer a few years back and haven't looked the same since. As far as the rest on this list it's fairly obvious that more was clearly expected of them.

Going...Going...Gone-are the days of Chan Gailey and Pat Shurmer. Maybe Chan Gailey belongs to the jury is out group because of his length of tenure. But I think the Bills are going to look to upgrade to a coach that can attract stronger assistants and coordinators. The same can be said of Pat Shurmer, as Cleveland has a new owner who will soon enough have a new GM, and a new coach to once again rebuild this franchise. It's a shame too, because I think the Browns are better than advertised.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#6 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Lovie Smith will hold onto his job, for now. The Chicago Bears will miss the playoffs, but they will (most likely) finish 10-6. However, the team's front office needs to realize that the problem is not Smith; rather, it is that their offense needs a reboot and the only "positives", right now, on the offense is Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall.

Don't forget Matt Forte, he's a top 5 running back!
<p><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);"><span style="font-size:24px;">Banned</span></span>.</p>

#7 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Multiple sources point to Crennel being fired on Monday. Unfortunate, as he has a lot of potential, but was scapegoated for a completely talentless team that was rocked by a homicide/suicide to boot after becoming the interim head coach in Tod Haley's midst and leading them to the upset of the year against against the undefeated Packers. The front office didn't add any talent in the offseason to bolster the team, either.

I think Pat Shurmur will remain the HC. They've finally got some steam rolling in Cleveland (insider joke!). He's assembled a fresh, young offense with a lot of potential. Richardson is good enough to be their franchise player and Weeden is slowly improving with a servicable receiving corps, including the dynamic Josh Gordon. A lot of experts are predicting they'll make the playoffs next year, especially with PIT's decline.

#8 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

I think a surprise firing this year could be Jason Garrett; if the Cowboys lose to the Redskins on Sunday night.

I'm a mama of three boys. Nothing scares or disgusts me anymore. 

#9 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

You are such a suck-up. --- A suck-up with a nice cover. ;)

I think a surprise firing this year could be Jason Garrett; if the Cowboys lose to the Redskins on Sunday night.

The only person in the Cowboys organization that needs to be fired is Jerry. I understand he's the owner and wants to have a hand in his investment, but there comes a point when you need to let up on the reigns a bit. Players play, coaches coach, owners sit in the owners box and have their nephew's clean off their glasses for them (another suck-up). Until Jerry quits meddling, that team will always be sub-par.

I'm done picking on you now. :P

Edited by CosmicRedPanda, 28 December 2012 - 11:31 AM.

login.png

#10 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

While the Browns keep turning everything over from the GM, to the coaches, and all the way down to schemes and players. I think Phil Dawson the kicker, and Josh Cribbs the returner are the oldest tenured Browns. There is a HUGE difference between the Patriots way, and the Browns way.

Every bit of this, so true. And so sad. I wouldn't mind seeing the Brownies turn it around, to have the strongest division in football. Like last season (or two seasons?) ago, when all four AFC North teams finished in the Top-5 for defense. I really thought they were turning a curve there.

They will never get anything going if there is no stability. It's like gutting a car when all you need is a new air filter.

login.png

#11 ravens__

ravens__

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

Don't forget Matt Forte, he's a top 5 running back!

I don't think Forte is a top 5 RB even in the rare case he's healthy. Peterson, Rice, Foster, Charles and Lynch are all definitely better than him. Gore also. Martin, Richardson and maybe even Morris showed more flash this season, albeit with a small sample size.

Edited by ravens__, 28 December 2012 - 12:10 PM.

2010 BR.com "You Pick 'em" Champion

10fqgjp.jpg

#12 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

I don't think Forte is a top 5 RB even in the rare case he's healthy. Peterson, Rice, Foster, Charles and Lynch are all definitely better than him. Gore also. Martin, Richardson and maybe even Morris showed more flash this season, albeit with a small sample size.

You've got to keep in mind the injuries he's played through this season. He really elevates the Bears' offense when he's healthy. He also gets a lot of receptions, in addition to rushes.

#13 ravens__

ravens__

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

You've got to keep in mind the injuries he's played through this season. He really elevates the Bears' offense when he's healthy. He also gets a lot of receptions, in addition to rushes.

Hence why I started off by saying "even in the rare case he's healthy". He basically ended my fantasy season this year and that's why I'm extra bitter but I never thought he could be anything special because of all his injuries.

10fqgjp.jpg

#14 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hence why I started off by saying "even in the rare case he's healthy". He basically ended my fantasy season this year and that's why I'm extra bitter but I never thought he could be anything special because of all his injuries.

On a similar note, who's in your Top 5 WR list?

#15 ravens__

ravens__

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

On a similar note, who's in your Top 5 WR list?

Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald, Reggie Wayne and Brandon Marshall.

Sorry for going off topic, mods. Gonna post my opinion on the topic later.

10fqgjp.jpg

#16 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,039 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Multiple sources point to Crennel being fired on Monday. Unfortunate, as he has a lot of potential, but was scapegoated for a completely talentless team that was rocked by a homicide/suicide to boot after becoming the interim head coach in Tod Haley's midst and leading them to the upset of the year against against the undefeated Packers. The front office didn't add any talent in the offseason to bolster the team, either.

I think Pat Shurmur will remain the HC. They've finally got some steam rolling in Cleveland (insider joke!). He's assembled a fresh, young offense with a lot of potential. Richardson is good enough to be their franchise player and Weeden is slowly improving with a servicable receiving corps, including the dynamic Josh Gordon. A lot of experts are predicting they'll make the playoffs next year, especially with PIT's decline.

I see what you did there.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#17 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,039 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Gailey will be gone from Buffalo and its about 50-50 if they fired their GM. Of the many Bills fans I know, they want them both gone.

Here is a good article from Don Banks previewing everything.

Twitter

#18 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,039 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Jerry Jones has said he will stay because of their recent performance and how he handled the Josh Brent incident.

Twitter

#19 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,008 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

Black Monday should be interesting. Can't wait to see who replaces the current coaches and if we get more college coaches due to Carrol's and Harbaugh's success and the big name coaches that could return.

#20 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,039 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

If the Bears don't make the playoffs, I can see Lovie being fired because they started off so good but have finished very badly.

Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users