Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RavensFanInCA

Reed hit with a $55k fine

47 posts in this topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000118111/article/ed-reed-of-baltimore-ravens-fined-55k-for-cruz-hit

Apparently Reed got charged $55k for his hit on Cruz. Even Cruz thought it was a legal hit. C'mon NFL...

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Roger's gotta eat.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]~ CRP[/font][/i]

Isn't it technically Ray Anderson who hands out the fines? All the same, I blame both. Anderson for handing out the fine, and Goodell for pushing to be over sensitive to safety.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I've mentioned this before, several times, but if the NFL is all about "player safety" then by all rights they should fine players like RGIII and Nick Foles for playing injured.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I mean, if safety really is their concern.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I mean, can you see why I'm getting mixed signals here? Is it me?[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]~ CRP[/i][/font]

The league used to completely disregard safety, and callously let quite a few former players languish in poverty, dementia, some dying broke in charity hospitals. That's still going on, since lots of guys are still around from when the pay wasn't nearly enough to last into retirement. The league not only cared about the potential of danger then, it doesn't deal with the aftereffects of previously realized danger now. That would be one great place to hand these fines.

They've swung from one extreme to the other, with no room for nuance. Steelers fans complain about Ryan Clark and James Harrison under the microscope, but those guys (Colt McCoy from Harrison, Willis McGahee from Clark, many others) have often launched forearms and helmets directly into exposed guys' helmets. Their complaining is not really justified, that's the kind of thing the league was right to step in and cut out.

Reed's hits are not in the same galaxy, and not just because he's a Raven. In none of them has he recklessly launched at a guy midair and had their two helmets slam into each other. Hitting a guy well after he lands, leading with the shoulder, hitting the other guy in the shoulder or midsection, where the mere size of two helmets in close proximity causes them to touch, is not at all what the original problem that needed to be fixed entailed. It's a complete overreaction which gives referees no leeway to distinguish between intent and violence inflicted and treats them all the same.

That kind of buffoonish unawareness until it was broadcast in giant letters, then completely overblown reaction which simply causes an inverse problem, and the tone of self-righteousness accompanying it, is the kind of nonsense I've had from far-removed bosses in chump jobs. You'd expect more from guys paid as well as NFL execs, considering they're not doing anything else worthwhile with their time. They're just scrambling to not admit they were wrong with this latest fine; if it was as they said, he would've been suspended like they've rattled their sabres about. It's not, but they can't just admit it and look silly so you have this petty $55,000 face-saving sham.

The whole thing almost seems like yet another cynical rule change to increase offense to attract casual fan dummies who are only excited by 80 yard passes.

[quote name='RavensFanInCA' timestamp='1356659073' post='1280594']
Isn't it technically Ray Anderson who hands out the fines? All the same, I blame both. Anderson for handing out the fine, and [b]Goodell for pushing to be over sensitive to safety.[/b]
[/quote]

In fairness to him, I would do the same in his position. The NFL lied for many many years about the danger of concussions, and they need to act like they care now to try to stop former players from suing, many of whom lack legitimate gripes and are just trying to make up for their lack of money-management abilities.

This is what I think of this and every other stupid fine that Reed has endured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU48z9teJ7A

[quote name='TonyTone1192' timestamp='1356665640' post='1280651']
This is what I think of this and every other stupid fine that Reed has endured.
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Ah, yes... the manure chant. Exactly what the entire league is becoming.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]It has been said over and over again, get rid of the pads, get rid of the helmets. They're no longer as crucial a part of the player's safety, but more so a weapon.[/i][/font]

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1356664624' post='1280643']
In fairness to him, I would do the same in his position. The NFL lied for many many years about the danger of concussions, and they need to act like they care now to try to stop former players from suing, many of whom lack legitimate gripes and are just trying to make up for their lack of money-management abilities.
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Perhaps when I get old and retire, I will try to find creative ways to get my former employers to pay my way.[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]-- breathing in too much chalk and diamond dust from the baseball park[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]-- music in the store hurt my ears[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]-- watching movies for customer recommendations at the video store hurt my eyes[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]-- old people at the nursing home.... still working on that one[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]-- working in plastics has given me all kinds of funky diseases that i can't even begin to fathom[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]-- typing on the laptop at work all day has given me serious carpal tunnel[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I'm going to be rich!![/i][/font]

The thing that is even more ludacris is Cam Newton intentionally bumped into an official and did not get thrown out (as is required by the rules book) and he kicked a radiers player multiple times and is only hit with a 21k fine for the ref bump. While Reed is hit with a 55k fine for a clean hard hit

I really couldn't care less what they fine players. I don't see how anyone should care, but the player and their family. With that said, there is no rhyme or reason to the amount of these fines.

Both the league and the players are hypocrites when it comes to safety anyways.

I think it's ridiculous that Ed Reed and Others are getting fined for Clean Legal hits. I don't understand how after viewing the hits numerous times following a game the NFL can still fine some of these hits.

It just seems like they are fining guys to justify the penalties being called on Sundays.

Ed Reed actually hit shoulder to body, just because it was enough force that the body of the WR jerked doesn't mean it was penalty worthy or fine worthy.

It's like Deion Sanders said " the head is above the shoulders sometimes the head will strike first, but that was a clean hard hit".

Maybe any pass over 15 yards down field a safety should be allowed to simply touch the defender down since they aren't allowed to tackle them.

Maybe they should put Hit meter sensors in the helmets of offensive players to determine if the "helmet hits " were hard enough to be deemed malicious or concussion causing.

Let's go Under the Hood... Players will be demanding video replay in the next CBA if this keeps up. Just bc a flag flies do not mean the hit was illegal.

Is the NFL just that greedy ? The hit was legal, there was no head to head contact. It was shoulder to chest. If the NFL is hurting that bad for money just fold and give up. What is Peter Angelos running the NFL now ?

If you feel the NFL is be ruined by the commish feel free to write him [email="officeofcommissioner@nfl.com?subject=Turning%20the%20league%20into%20a%20ladies%20gathering&body=Stop%20messing%20with%20the%20NFL.%20It%20is%20fine.%20You%20are%20going%20to%20cause%20a%20lot%20of%20knee%20injuries%20by%20taking%20low%20hits.%20I%20guess%20that%20is%20what%20you%20want.%20It%20will%20decrease%20a%20players%20career%20by%20almost%20half%20because%20of%20knee%20and%20back%20injuries%20and%20it%20is%20all%20thanks%20to%20you."]officeofcommissioner@nfl.com[/email]. I already did.

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1356730647' post='1281244']
If you feel the NFL is be ruined by the commish feel free to write him [email="officeofcommissioner@nfl.com?subject=Turning%20the%20league%20into%20a%20ladies%20gathering&body=Stop%20messing%20with%20the%20NFL.%20It%20is%20fine.%20You%20are%20going%20to%20cause%20a%20lot%20of%20knee%20injuries%20by%20taking%20low%20hits.%20I%20guess%20that%20is%20what%20you%20want.%20It%20will%20decrease%20a%20players%20career%20by%20almost%20half%20because%20of%20knee%20and%20back%20injuries%20and%20it%20is%20all%20thanks%20to%20you."]officeofcommissioner@nfl.com[/email]. I already did.
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]And done. Thanks![/i][/font]

[/quote]
[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356733181' post='1281297']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]And done. Thanks![/i][/font]
[/quote]

Just wrote him a strongly worded email. Hope to hear back from him.

[/quote]
[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1356734748' post='1281318']
Just wrote him a strongly worded email. Hope to hear back from him.
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I made sure to mention my "if safety is your concern, then why are injured players like RGIII and Foles allowed back onto the field... if safety truly is your concern."[/i][/font]

[/quote]

I sent him some poop!

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1356743760' post='1281439']

I sent him some poop!
[/quote]
And I set it on fire.

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1356743760' post='1281439']
I sent him some poop!
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Do unto others...[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356744778' post='1281449']

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Do unto others...[/i][/font]
[/quote]

Bingo ;)

why fine him if everyone agreed it was unintentional? Just get some flags for the boys already, haven't seen a nice hit not get flagged all season. Big hits aren't illegal are they? Do defenders need to judge how much kinetic energy they possess before contact, and take into account the kinetic energy the receiver is also carrying and then decelerate accordingly? RIDICULOUS!

As usual, they are putting the target on Reed's back b/c his a high profile player.

That hit was led by shoulder first toward the chest.

I wonder why people like Hines ward (the dirtiest player ever to play in AFCN) never got the kind of attention Reed is getting. It almost pales in comparison.

We all know this is a bogus penalty. Goodell, the owners, and the 'safety' committee are just trying to save themselves from lawsuits. They can care a rats you-know-what about players safety.

The league is really starting to crack down on Ed Reed. How about flagging some of the opposing players that hit him during the game? Just once, I'd like to see a late hit called.

[quote name='Bruce_Almty' timestamp='1356721440' post='1281059']
Let's go Under the Hood... Players will be demanding video replay in the next CBA if this keeps up. Just bc a flag flies do not mean the hit was illegal.
[/quote]

I guess the era of 4 hour games will be approaching if this happens.

What a way to be treated by the NFL in presumably his final season, after all he's done for the League in his career. The scrutiny is so hypocritical. They claim to punish Reed in the name of safety, but give so many other plays a free pass to make dangerous and unsportsmanlike hits...

Absolute nonsense fine imo. That was as clean as clean can be. It was a clean, hard hit. That's it. I was discussing this with a co-worker as well. He says that what you'll see are people hitting players low instead. So in turn you'll see more leg/knee injuries, you know, the season ending injuries.

If I was Reed, I would appeal and then press charges on the NFL over defamation of character/being singled out.

The NFL should really consider who they are going after and that these fines have other ramifications other than what's on the field. Lots of kids look up to players like Ed Reed as role models. Perhaps Reed is just the NFL's flavor of the year... :rolleyes:

IMO the penalty on Cam Newton should've been $55k. That was totally uncalled for. These fines have no rhyme or reason, no standard is being upheld.

I'm in good shape and exercise regularly (26 yrs old). After a day of flag football and weight lifting, I'm pretty darn sore for a few days. How a league can say they are looking out for player safety, yet have them play Thursday night games is MIND BLOWING. How can they have any sort of credability after OKAYing these games?

So wait, they know that they don't have enough to suspend him and would only get embarrassed by a third party again, so they just fine him instead? Doesn't this mean that they consciously know that was a legal hit and yet still fine him anyway? And I thought last week's refs were bad...

[quote name='ravensfan2430' timestamp='1356810717' post='1281867']
I'm in good shape and exercise regularly (26 yrs old). After a day of flag football and weight lifting, I'm pretty darn sore for a few days. How a league can say they are looking out for player safety, yet have them play Thursday night games is MIND BLOWING. How can they have any sort of credability after OKAYing these games?
[/quote]

No offense, but these guys are in much better shape than you. I really mean that with no offense! Those guys are in unbelievably good shape.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1356816200' post='1281914']
No offense, but these guys are in much better shape than you. I really mean that with no offense! [b]Those guys are in unbelievably good shape.[/b]
[/quote]

You must work for Goodell

[quote name='ravensfan2430' timestamp='1356817689' post='1281936']
[/quote]

Hell no! It's the truth! Have you heard what their conditioning test is? It's brutal. These guys are in much better shape than you're giving them credit for. Just look at a guy like JJ Watt, who ran a 4.8 40 at 290 pounds. The guys in the NFL are the definition of what it means to be a "freak of nature."

I'm not saying I support Thursday Night Football. I'm only saying that their bodies can handle it.

[quote name='ravensfan2430' timestamp='1356817689' post='1281936']

[/quote]
I was thinking more man crush ha

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1356818288' post='1281947']

Hell no! It's the truth! Have you heard what their conditioning test is? It's brutal. These guys are in much better shape than you're giving them credit for. Just look at a guy like JJ Watt, who ran a 4.8 40 at 290 pounds. The guys in the NFL are the definition of what it means to be a "freak of nature."

I'm not saying I support Thursday Night Football. I'm only saying that their bodies can handle it.
[/quote]
I dont think thats really true, especially later in the season. The physical pounding those guys take is unbelievable. I've heard pretty much every single former/current player say the Thursday night game does adversely affect them. Its pretty obvious from the quality of play as well. Goodell is a giant hypocrite about this.

Ok let me get this straight, can't hit low, could hurt player, can't hit high, might give neck injury or concussion. Ok hit him square in the chest right ? No player may see hit coming and lower his head and curl up for hit, and helmets just might touch....How about pull down his pants to his ankles so he can't run ? Will that work Roger ? For the love of Football !