Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Omar Browns Reminds Ed Reed Of Himself

54 posts in this topic

Ravens rookie safety Omar Brown has shown a knack for finding the football.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Omar-Browns-Reminds-Ed-Reed-Of-Himself/299a8657-8a5a-40d5-9ad7-deb56c1148db]View the full article[/url]

That's so awesome. I was stunned when we kept Considine instead of Brown. Now, given a chance to play, he balls out. I hope they make the smart choice and keep him on from here on in.

That first line is exactly my thoughts. This kid just finds ways not to be just to be around the ball, but make plays on the ball. He maybe young but his ceiling seems a lot higher than anything consodine can offer right now. I hope they keep him around before other teams take notice.

Could this guy be the future after Ed retires? I would sure like to see him get a little more experience against Andy Dalton this week. We need to start looking for a replacement safety.

After watching Omar do so well in the preseason, it was nice to finally see him get on the field on gameday and show what he can do. The cool thing about this dude is that he will only get better.

I know people keep saying he is always around the ball, but what I wanna know is, how is he in coverage? I haven't really payed close attention to him. Besides being able to get turnovers, is he actually good at everything else?

It's a strange thing, because some guys may be decent, but don't give the coaches a reason to keep them around during camp. But when it's "game time", some of these guys just have "it"; and they show up when it matters. I don't know if that's this guys' story; but he seems like one of those dudes that just shines when the the lights come on.

You keep those guys around.

I laud Steve Bisciotti for insisting that the coaching staff start to give their younger players playing time instead of always signing over-the-hill free agents off the streets every time an injury occurs. Yes, experience does count for something, but you have to take your lumps with the inexperienced. Here's a thought: A rookie makes a mistake more than once, it can be corrected before it becomes a habit; a veteran makes a mistake more than once, more than likely it is one of the inherent flaws that veteran has been playing with all his career-- almost impossible to correct.

Omar Brown and the other young guys should be given every opportunity to play, and if they can't play then you may discard them. For one thing, we are perennially drafting at the bottom of the rounds (a good thing since that means we are almost always a winning team) so it is most important that we get the absolute most out of our draft picks and undrafted free agents.

I doubt he'll be the next ed reed.... Undrafted free agent, Ed reed is a future hall of famer...Omar will be omar....

i remember a guy called victor cruz who played extremely well in the preseason but barely got any playing time and for a while was on the practice squad and look at him now, i see that in Omar Brown

[quote name='EpicRavensfan2!' timestamp='1356651040' post='1280447']
I doubt he'll be the next ed reed.... Undrafted free agent, Ed reed is a future hall of famer...Omar will be omar....
[/quote]
Who are you to say that?Ed Reed says that he plays like him and I respect him more than you!

[quote name='outkast1' timestamp='1356651372' post='1280457']
Ed Reed says that he plays like him and I respect him more than you!
[/quote] Who am i to judge? No one can do what ed reed does. There might be one or two safeties in the hsitory of the NFL who can do what Reed does. Ed reed is a future hall of famer just because he's reminded of himself by a rookie doesn't mean anything. Omar brown will be omar brown not ed reed. And Idc if you respect me I don't need your respect. "who are you to say that?" I am no one. but who r you to say if he'll be the next reed.

really hope we start giving this guy some more PT. Sure there might be SOME growing pains, a few rookie mistakes, but they'll easily be outweighed if he develops into a stud, because he's done nothing but make plays since getting here, he easily had the best pre season out of anyone on our roster, I was devastated when he was cut.

Omar Brown was still on the practice squad and they practice with the team every week just as if he was on the active roster. Honestly PS guys are usually the ones who don't play as much special teams to make it on the active roster. That's where a lot of the true emergency players are.

Many were floored when they cut Omar and the same when they cut Josh Bynes last year. A good move for the team when they were brought back.

One thing's for sure: the guy seems to be quite good at being good when he has to: he was spot on during the pre-season games, now he got some snaps last week - he notched a sack.

That's a good sign.

bio

I dont know how you guys feel but, Why not give Ed this sunday off and Start Omar.. Reed could use the rest

It'll be hard to get Omar a lot of pt because he's more of a Ed type, and Ed doesn't come off the field unless hurt. So he'll have to be given sub packages, where he can blitz or play underneath coverage. I'd like to see him get more time this game, but in the playoffs, 2-5 snaps a game is all I see, especially with BP returning.

The Ravens have a good group of young guys at safety. Not sure any of them will develop to become studs, but i like them. Brown, Cook, and Thompson all have talent and each bring something different. Cook is more of a Bob Sanders type undersize but huge hitter. Thompson is a big hitter as well, but is more of a FS type. He supposedly is above average in coverage, but haven't seen much of him. Brown is more like a younger Ed Reed. The type that can move all around the defense and be a play maker. I'm not saying any of these guys are comparable to the names i put with them, that's just how i'd envision them being used.

Both Pollard and Ihedigbo are in there prime and seem to have found a home with the Ravens defense. BP just turned 28 and James just turned 29, so both guys should be around for at least another 3 years until younger guys develop.

I always am excited to see Omar out on the field in games. I really hope he gets some more playing time going forward. Nice story.

[quote name='CxM_27' timestamp='1356656014' post='1280560']
I dont know how you guys feel but, Why not give Ed this sunday off and Start Omar.. Reed could use the rest
[/quote]

I would be all for it, but I don't think Harbaugh would do that

They should play him allot this week see what he can do if he could be a potential successor or if they need to find a FA or go somewhere in the draft

Hopefully Ed is right and can help Omar reach his true potential. If Ed is contemplating retirement in the next year or two then maybe grooming Omar is a possibility. This kid is something special and a diamond that just needs a polish. KEEP HIM this time around!

small sample size but so far so good. There's no such thing as replacing 20ER, a living legend of safety, but in the near future we'll have to find someone suitable to start at the position. If nothjing else, he's good depth. heck we might have to replace 20 before we replaced 52.

@20306cab No, a successfully recovered onside kick is actually not a turnover unless a player from the kicking team got possession then fumbled it.