Photo

POLL: Are the Ravens Super Bowl Contenders?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Poll: Who are the formidable contenders? (87 member(s) have cast votes)

Who of these are formidable contenders to win Super Bowl XLVII?

1. Houston Texans (33 votes [8.66%])

Percentage of vote: 8.66%

2. Atlanta Falcons (28 votes [7.35%])

Percentage of vote: 7.35%

3. Denver Broncos (65 votes [17.06%])

Percentage of vote: 17.06%

4. Voted Green Bay Packers (45 votes [11.81%])

Percentage of vote: 11.81%

5. San Francisco 49ers (35 votes [9.19%])

Percentage of vote: 9.19%

6. Baltimore Ravens (57 votes [14.96%])

Percentage of vote: 14.96%

7. Seattle Seahawks (35 votes [9.19%])

Percentage of vote: 9.19%

8. Voted New England Patriots (47 votes [12.34%])

Percentage of vote: 12.34%

9. Dallas Cowboys (7 votes [1.84%])

Percentage of vote: 1.84%

10. Cincinnati Bengals (6 votes [1.57%])

Percentage of vote: 1.57%

11. Washington Redskins (7 votes [1.84%])

Percentage of vote: 1.84%

12. Chicago Bears (5 votes [1.31%])

Percentage of vote: 1.31%

13. Indianapolis Colts (4 votes [1.05%])

Percentage of vote: 1.05%

14. Minnesota Vikings (3 votes [0.79%])

Percentage of vote: 0.79%

15. New York Giants (4 votes [1.05%])

Percentage of vote: 1.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The Prestige

The Prestige

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

I think that with Pollard and Ellerbe, the Ravens are the best team in the AFC.

What many people overlook is not that Cam was fired after a 2-game losing streak, but that the losing streak followed a four-game win streak that included three road wins.

Ultimately, I look at how a team's played lately and the quality and balance of a roster first - the number of playmakers, how many are in their prime - before going into coaching.

In my opinion, the Ravens are the most talented team and their lack of coaching is made up for by their talent and in their urgency and physicality.

This isn't only a thread discussing who the BEST TEAM is, but - to a lesser extent - what their road looks like.

Round 1 is a favorable match-up for the Ravens who just got 100-yard rushing games from Ray and Bernard Pierce (the Colts have allowed 135+ in 4 of last 5, have 5 DL on IR, and just allowed 352 rushing yards to the Chiefs). Mountain air is a favorable match-up for the Broncos.

So, here it is. These are the teams I think have the best chance to win Super Bowl XLVII.

1. Ravens: Already explained.

2. Broncos: I give them the edge over the Patriots, slightly, because they can beat you more ways on offense, and have - this year - slightly better balance and depth on defense.

3. Patriots: They have a great short-area passing game, and they use tempo and quick cuts by RBs, Welker and Hernandez to their advantage. With Gronk back, it will be hard to out-score them.

4. Packers: In my opinion, the Packers ask Rodgers to do about 4.5 times what the Patriots ask Brady to do, and he continually delivers (though he is in his 8th season whilst Brady is in his 13th). Their defense has enough playmakers and a good play-caller in Capers to make some big sacks and turnovers.

That is tier one. I think the Cowboys and Texans are alone in tier 2. I think Jason Garrett and Rob Ryan is a slightly better combination than Kubiak and Wade Phillips (too stupid and predictable) that - if DT Jay Ratliff is back - they have the next best chance.

Edited by The Prestige, 26 December 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#2 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

No offense Prestige, but your poll has nothing to do with your topic title. You ask if the Ravens are Super Bowl contenders, and it shows on the main page that it's a poll so one would assume it's a 'Yes' or 'No' question and yet when I get in I'm greeted with a whole bunch of other team names and a poll that has nothing to do with the question. So to answer your topic title, yes of course the Ravens are Super Bowl contenders. As far as your poll goes, you might as well check every one of them because they all have the potential. It's football, and this is the most exciting sport in the world because even the most horrible looking team (like the Giants) have a chance.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#3 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

every team in the playoffs are super bowl contenders! those that are not...are not! lol!

~Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I May be Done but I'm not Gone!"

- Ray Lewis

#4 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,168 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

every team in the playoffs are super bowl contenders! those that are not...are not! lol!

~Mili

This!

#5 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

:D Guess I should have gone with the Mili short and sweet version.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#6 ravenwildman

ravenwildman

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,955 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

Listen, trust me, the Ravens will win it all

GO RAVENS!

#7 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,783 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

~Mili

I dont agree. Just because you make the playoffs does not make you a contender! Colts, Bengals, Bears...they are all one and done. Mark my words. I'll bet the Texans and Falcons lose in their first game as well.

Just look at the results of the poll and you will see what I mean...I think it is pretty accurate representation.

@gabefergy

#8 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

I dont agree. Just because you make the playoffs does not make you a contender! Colts, Bengals, Bears...they are all one and done. Mark my words. I'll bet the Texans and Falcons lose in their first game as well.

Just look at the results of the poll and you will see what I mean...I think it is pretty accurate representation.

Three words.... Seahawks vs. Saints...

~ Cosmic

WE RAISE OUR HEAVY GLASS TO YOU IN OUR INDESTRUCTIBLE DAYS
login.png
MAY HEAVENS CALL TO YOU, MAY STARS ALIGN AND LIGHT YOUR WAY

#9 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,783 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

Three words.... Seahawks vs. Saints...

~ Cosmic

Yeah, and how far did the Seahawks go?

@gabefergy

#10 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

Yeah, and how far did the Seahawks go?

They still won. I get what you're saying though. But I find it hard to discount anyone in the post-season. As the old saying goes, "In the post-season, every team is 0-0."

~ Cosmic

login.png

#11 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,783 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

They still won. I get what you're saying though. But I find it hard to discount anyone in the post-season. As the old saying goes, "In the post-season, every team is 0-0."

~ Cosmic

That's definitely true, but the way I see it some teams just have what it takes while others do not.

@gabefergy

#12 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

That's definitely true, but the way I see it some teams just have what it takes while others do not.

Kind of like the Falcons. They've got all the talent in the world and yet, somehow, they just fizzle out in the playoffs.

I've actually done a study on that though. Why the Falcons stink it up in the playoffs.. just look at their division. They're a "pass happy" division with poor opposing defenses and even poorer secondaries. So, in the playoffs, they hit a team with a stout D and they crumble.

Yeah... If we come out like last week, we should be OK. Biggest AFC threat, Denver. Biggest NFC threat, Green Bay.

~ Cosmic

login.png

#13 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,783 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

Kind of like the Falcons. They've got all the talent in the world and yet, somehow, they just fizzle out in the playoffs.

I've actually done a study on that though. Why the Falcons stink it up in the playoffs.. just look at their division. They're a "pass happy" division with poor opposing defenses and even poorer secondaries. So, in the playoffs, they hit a team with a stout D and they crumble.

Yeah... If we come out like last week, we should be OK. Biggest AFC threat, Denver. Biggest NFC threat, Green Bay.

~ Cosmic

I completely agree. I'm hoping NE can take care of Denver for us. I have us making it to the SB playing the Packers.

@gabefergy

#14 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

I completely agree. I'm hoping NE can take care of Denver for us. I have us making it to the SB playing the Packers.

I've been waiting to see that Super Bowl for three years now... would love for it to happen. I've got a Packers-fan for a co-worker, he would max out his credit card just to get he & I tickets. He's as big on the Pack as I am on the Flock.

Now, if I could just get me a Ravens' Maryland license plate here in Indiana. :(

~ Cosmic

Edited by CosmicRedPanda, 27 December 2012 - 01:55 AM.

login.png

#15 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

Are the Ravens contenders? Sure they made it to the play-offs, and enough has been said on their legitimacy already.

The game I'm worried about the most right now is that first wild card. I know people want to look ahead to the title game, or the Super Bowl. But if we do that then we may overlook an inspired Indy team with an outstanding rookie QB.

Seems like people are all too happy to draw Indy in that first round, and I have to wonder if that would be one of those pick your poison gone bad kind of deals. Pagano knows us well, and that team has been over-looked all season.

Edited by Dudeman, 27 December 2012 - 02:05 AM.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#16 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

Are the Ravens contenders? Sure they made it to the play-offs, and enough has been said on their legitimacy already.

The game I'm worried about the most right now is that first wild card. I know people want to look ahead to the title game, or the Super Bowl. But if we do that then we may overlook an inspired Indy team with an outstanding rookie QB.

Seems like people are all too happy to draw Indy in that first round, and I have to wonder if that would be one of those pick your poison gone bad kind of deals. Pagano knows us well, and that team has been over-looked all season.

As much love as I have for Chuck and what he did here, Indy would be best to leave Chuck out of it. They've done a great deal without him, just let it run it's course. If he wants to stand on the sidelines, so be it, but just let the coordinators and coaches do what they've done since he has been gone. They've got a good rhythm going.

Posted Image Cosmic

Edited by CosmicRedPanda, 27 December 2012 - 02:09 AM.

login.png

#17 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:11 AM

As much love as I have for Chuck and what he did here, Indy would be best to leave Chuck out of it. They've done a great deal without him, just let it run it's course. If he wants to stand on the sidelines, so be it, but just let the coordinators and coaches do what they've done since he has been gone. They've got a good rhythm going.

~ Cosmic

Agreed. Arians has always been a good coach, and I have no idea what happened to his career in Pittsburgh. Could be he is Johnny on the spot with Rothlisberger and Luck as QBs to work with but I have a feeling there is a little more to it than that.

So yes, Pagano shouldn't try to over due it because of his condition anyways, but again I wonder if people shouldn't be more careful of what they wish for. Not that beating or playing Cincy three times a year is a walk in the park, and losing to them at home would be worse....but lets just leave it that I really don't want to be one and done. Not this year, and specifically because we have worked so hard the past 5 years to get back to the Super Bowl AND win it.

I will take that a step further, and put a vote in that the Ravens have the hardest working team in the NFL. Sure we are loaded with talent, but that talent is wasted without a strong work ethic.

Edited by Dudeman, 27 December 2012 - 02:12 AM.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#18 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,316 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

then that must be based off of YOUR own definition and interpretation for the word contender which has its root in the word contend. contend meaning; to struggle in opposition. it also means to strive or to compete for something. therefore, as i mentioned....ONLY the remaining playoff teams have that ability at this point in the season to "compete," "strive for," and to "struggle in opposition" for the Superbowl. :D :D

~Mili

Edited by Militant X 1, 27 December 2012 - 02:13 AM.

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I May be Done but I'm not Gone!"

- Ray Lewis

#19 Inqui

Inqui

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:30 AM

Here's my take: any team can go all the way. Any given Sunday and all.

But there are some teams that are more likely to get three big-game wins in a row than others. Yeah, I think the Bengals or Colts could come up with an impressive win or two, but I wouldn't back them to make three. I really rate the Seahawks, but they're probably going to have to win three on the road, which I can't see happening.

With that in mind, I voted for the Texans, Broncos, Patriots, Ravens, 9ers, Packers and Bears (yes I do think they can make a run), Out of them, I actually think the Texans are the most likely to go one and done.

#20 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

I checked them all, b/c like many have said, anyone could win it. It all depends who is the healthiest and who gets hot at the right time. Regular season records don't matter anymore after week 17. The Giants were 9-7 and the 6th seed last year. Did anyone thing they would win it all? Nope, but they did, cause they got hot at the right time. Just like i hope we are with the win last week. We shall see.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users