Photo

Offensive Line (key to our Superbowl berth)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I am a firm believer that the offensive line is the key to us succeeding in the playoffs. For example, this past win was dominated by our offensive line albeit Oher had another bad game.

In the denver game, we did not have yanda and we suffered with inside and outside pressure, which pretty much harassed flacco all game(still no excuse for that pick-6).

I know we can rely on marshall yanda, but everybody else is unproven. Jah Reid is doing an average job at lg, but for a newcomer he is exceptional. Is that enough against J.J Watt or Wilfork(still get bad memories from AFCG). Kelechi is as inconsistent as flacco(perhaps there is a trend there), but shut down JPP last game. Matt has underwhelmed but has been serviceable. He consistently loses one on one blocks and concedes pressure up the middle. This could mean another dominant showing by Wilfork if we make it that far in the playoffs.

And now we come to Oher, people may say that pressing needs lie in the dline or ilb or even free safety, but I believe Oher has lost us 3 games blatantly: strip fumble at eagles, strip fumble at pittsburgh, and strip fumble at redskins. This has resulted in scores and has impeded our offense.

For now, lets hope that the oline dominates after last sundays game. Because this is our only hope, if we want the Lombardi trophy. Do you guys think the Oline is as important?

#2 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,490 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

The offensive line is the MOST important position group on offense. Period. Even more important than the quarterback in my opinion. Even the best QBs looks like trash when they don't get protection. You can't run the ball with a bad line. You can't pass safely and efficiently with a bad line. You need a strong offensive line.

If our line plays the rest of the season the way they did Sunday, we'll be okay.

I gotta say, Caldwell's play calling helped the line. The diversity and balance in the play calls really helped the line get in a rhythm and play a great game as a unit. Did Joe even get sacked? I can't even remember!

#3 mdrsharon

mdrsharon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

the O line is most essential to Joe being able to play the game he has the ability to do.
Bottom line - he needs protection = time.
Let's hope they all show up big for the rest of the way!

#4 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

The offensive line is the MOST important position group on offense. Period. Even more important than the quarterback in my opinion. Even the best QBs looks like trash when they don't get protection. You can't run the ball with a bad line. You can't pass safely and efficiently with a bad line. You need a strong offensive line.

If our line plays the rest of the season the way they did Sunday, we'll be okay.

I gotta say, Caldwell's play calling helped the line. The diversity and balance in the play calls really helped the line get in a rhythm and play a great game as a unit. Did Joe even get sacked? I can't even remember!

The only sack came when he tried to do a play action on 3rd and goal from the 1 and the Giants had 8ish guys hitting the line.

Edited by NaveSenrag, 26 December 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#5 CptJesus

CptJesus

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

http://russellstreet...lies-empowered/

This should give you some food for thought.

#6 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

You are right on the money .The Giants game proved to me that Joe can make all the throws and take us to a Super Bowl if
our oline protects him well .

And Caldwell using the middle of the field was spectacular! Rice and Torrey both got td's this way.

#7 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

http://russellstreetreport.com/filmstudy-bullies-empowered/

This should give you some food for thought.

Very fun read, a little disheartening to see our left side of the line being graded so poorly.

z66oxxi.jpg

#8 CptJesus

CptJesus

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Very fun read, a little disheartening to see our left side of the line being graded so poorly.

The upside being that our rookie had a hell of a day. Flattening JPP is hardly something to sneeze at, and he did it all night pretty much.

#9 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,688 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

Disheartening, yet expected. Its never good to have to look back and say you had three different starters at one position throughout the season (at LG), when none of them went down due to injury. They just sucked.

Oh yeah, and Michael Oher is on that side too...

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

"Hodor." - Hodor

#10 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Nahh it's definitely important. The only QB in the league that doesn't need an offensive line to be productive is Big Ben. Joe especially needs our O-line to play well because he loses confidence very quick.

But Birk seemed lost at times as well too.

It's a game of inches and games are won and lost in the trenches

bleed P U R P L E!

#11 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

I think the best part about the Giants game is realizing that Joe doesn't need A LOT of time, just more than what our line had been providing as of late. Caldwell obviously said at some point last week, 'Damn, this line sucks, how can we circumvent that?,' and pretty much did what everyone in Baltimore has been clamoring for all year: quick passes to get Joe into a groove.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#12 t45

t45

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I wish we had a 500 pounder for center with a perfect snap every play. If the guards put forth a little effort I think we can get enough time against most with what we have. And if the recievers just put in a little effort to get open , and if Joe can forget about the 120 yard Air Coryell crap....maybe we can at least show up to a game on offense.

#13 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Ive been thinking this whole year that our biggest priority in the off season needs to be the o line.I watch alot of other games and since the main part the camera shows is the qb I look at the type of pocket some of the better qbs in the league get.Our o line isnt even in the top 10 in the league.We need to work on that if we want Joe to become an elite qb.We gotta stop building these run oriented o lines and think about Joe since hes about to become our highest paid player.

#14 ravens533

ravens533

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

I totally agree that the o-line is very important. It seems to me to be our weak point. Our defense is getting better every week. All our injured players are healing up. And Joe, recievers and running backs looked great last week with the adjustments that were made. Let's hope for a miracle that the o-line will hold in the play-offs. It will be the only way to win it all.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.

Vince Lambardi

#15 rayrayven

rayrayven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

The Giants are walking wounded. JPP has been missing weeks of practice due to a bad back. Tuck wasn't even playing. I'd be careful about getting too excited about Ravens OL because of Giants game.

#16 Ngata Chance

Ngata Chance

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

The Giants are walking wounded. JPP has been missing weeks of practice due to a bad back. Tuck wasn't even playing. I'd be careful about getting too excited about Ravens OL because of Giants game.

Yes, but the Ravens were the pinnacle of health, right?

What's your point?
"Flacco got a hug from owner Bisciotti after game.. Flacco told him: “that felt good.. That was big”

That seems like it was worded wrong...

#17 rayrayven

rayrayven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:55 AM

Yes, but the Ravens were the pinnacle of health, right?

What's your point?

Giants have had no pass rush all season - nor have they been able to stop the run. They are probably out of the playoffs. If people want to say how Ravens OL improved (and they are in this thread) the Giant game is no test. There are reasons they've crashed and burned since Atlanta game. RBs hurt, DBs hurt, two best DEs hurt, LB out = Giants are a shell. Lets see Ravens handle a team likeTexans - who made them look like a mediocre college OL last year.

Edited by rayrayven, 27 December 2012 - 12:56 AM.

#18 Defence_Is_Salvation

Defence_Is_Salvation

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Ive been thinking this whole year that our biggest priority in the off season needs to be the o line.I watch alot of other games and since the main part the camera shows is the qb I look at the type of pocket some of the better qbs in the league get.Our o line isnt even in the top 10 in the league.We need to work on that if we want Joe to become an elite qb.We gotta stop building these run oriented o lines and think about Joe since hes about to become our highest paid player.

This. Flacco gets a lot of crap despite eating turf faster than all who are ranked above him. Give us some quick footed pass blockers and see how Joe performs. I'd get one of the premier LTs in FA and draft someone like Wagner in maybe the third for RT. I've had enough of Oher and I'm sure Flacco has too. Those two, moving Osmele to LG and promoting Grad to C well accend us.

#19 rayrayven

rayrayven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

"Flacco gets a lot of crap despite eating turf faster than all who are ranked above him"

Raven's OL is also why Rice gets pounded in Playoffs when the better defenses are still playing. If the other team is in your backfield when the ball is snapped not much good will come of it. Rice is first guy teams aim to stop. Only a good OL can stop that. Raven's aren't there yet.

#20 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

"Flacco gets a lot of crap despite eating turf faster than all who are ranked above him"

Raven's OL is also why Rice gets pounded in Playoffs when the better defenses are still playing. If the other team is in your backfield when the ball is snapped not much good will come of it. Rice is first guy teams aim to stop. Only a good OL can stop that. Raven's aren't there yet.

At least, Rice is shielded by Leach....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users