Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Eisenberg: A Dangling Carrot To Play For In Cincinnati

66 posts in this topic

A Pats-Ravens AFC title game wouldn’t be shocking. Sunday could determine where it’s played.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-A-Dangling-Carrot-To-Play-For-In-Cincinnati/d94b858d-5358-42da-85b7-bd0abcc97f26]View the full article[/url]

I would definitely agree... We need this additional win! As much as the other teams don't really "need" their wins.

Not sure if the Pats game starts when ours does but if the phins are laying an egg by Halftime, that's plenty of reason to spell some of our "Ones'!

So, say we're up (or down) by 3 and the Patriots are up by at least 10 at Halftime, that may be an indicator that it's time to start saving some regulars for the playoffs!

Just sayin',.......

Yes, a win would be nice but you need to know at the beginning of the season that 13-3 or 12-4 is the record needed for the best chance to secure home field and host the AFC Title game. They didn't get it done. Hoping for a 3 vs 4 situation is a long shot. Don't know when the last time that happened.

Id rather have the 4 seed and play the colts in the Bank, Then get a rematch and beat the Texans then beat Brady again. I dont want to play Cinncinnati, there D is the best left in the playoffs and I dont want to see Peyton ever again, and darn sure not in Mile High.

I want to see as few starters on the field as possible, and watch our backups defeat their backups. I will cringe every time I see Flacco drop back to pass, or watch 1,000 pounds of defender crashing on the ankles of Ray Rice.

Stay healthy my friends, and good luck in the Playoffs.

Let a good portion of the starters go a series or two then bring in the backups.

Let's keep the 4th seed , rest most of our starters , play Indy and then hopefully go to Houston .By then will have enough Mo to go anywhere and WIN!

TorryGundy
Posted
15 minutes agoId rather have the 4 seed and play the colts in the Bank, Then get a rematch and beat the Texans then beat Brady again. I dont want to play Cinncinnati, there D is the best left in the playoffs and I dont want to see Peyton ever again, and darn sure not in Mile High.

We will play the Broncos again next season, and likely in Mile High.

I disagree. Healthy players make for longer playoff runs. The Pats aren't going to lose to Miami. The Jackonsville game was a once in the lifetime thing for them. We are going to be the number four seed so let's accept that fact and rest our ailing players.

I don't see Tom brady blowing a game this late in the season . I like our chances against the colts . i prefer the texans , or patriots over the broncos. we have to find a way to win i have confidence that we can win.

No way the Pats lose to Miami. This is pointless. A second round game at Houston is what we are staring in the face and we will need all hands on deck for that on. Rest rest and more rest this weekend.

@ PurpleReigning " No way the Pats lose to Miami " It could happen, I learned the the AFC is so dominant that any team can beat any team on any given Sunday Teams that has less to lose are the most dangerous

It's a very weird situation - stay at #4 and host the Cinderella Colts with all the ChuckStrong hype, or luck into the #3 spot if NE shockingly gets upset by Dolphins and Ravens win, where they'd have to turn right around and host the Bungles right after beating them at their house. Very weird situation...not sure which one I like better.

I want them to win this game just for the sake of going into the playoffs with confidence and momentum. But at the same time, like most others, I can't see the Phins winning their game. Perhaps play the first half with starters, then pull them. After all, the Bengals have nothing to play for; so they may not be in full force either. So backups vs backups might be kinda cool...and we have good depth; and I believe we could win regardless.

That's my take

[quote name='GoldRaven' timestamp='1356544505' post='1279333']
Joe Flacco has a 4,000 yard season to play for, Hello!
[/quote] Ya, maybe he can get that needed 217 yards in the first half. :) :) :)

Regardless of all other implications, we need to win the game. I want to see if they carry the same momentum in the Bengal game and playoffs beyond or was the Giants game just another win for an inconsistent offense. I haven't forgotten what happened after 10 days off either. So let keep rolling into the playoffs as this is when the good teams rise.

This is where those darn losses that shouldn't have been (PIT and WAS) still sting. Sitting at 12-3, the possibilities would have been great. Oh well, water under the bridge.

I know a lot of people seem to think that there is a disadvantage to playing the Bengals rather than the Colts, but I'm not so sure about that. Getting the 3 seed would be nice, but while that isn't impossible, it is still unlikely.

We do have to walk a fine line of resting those who truly need rest and playing everyone else that is reasonably healthy to try and secure a win and maintain the momentum we started last week (especially on offense).

To those that think Miami can win, think of it this way:

Tom Brady, at home, in December, vs Miami and a rookie QB. No chance.

Rest em !!!

for those saying Ne is going to easily beat Miami must not have watched last weeks Game they were very lucky to beat Jacksonville ,i actually see a upset ,i dont predict Games often ,but Miami is no walk in the Park ,they could have been a Playoff Team this year as well had it not been for some Miscues ,but aside from that Miami wants to get to 8-8 off momentum from last week,NE wants to show a better Outing then Last week ,But i would Take Miami in a Upset this week by 3 ,Hopefully it will Happen because i want to see NE play in our House because i feel not only are we the better team ,but lets face it we dont want to go there ,and we have already beat NE i would feel much better playing at home and hope the Broncos go 1 and doen and texans go 1 and done ,or hope from Injuries to other teams for once ,considering we would have been a 2 seed this year if we were healthy throughout the year because no way do we lose to Pitt and no way do we lose to Wash with a backup QB after RG3 went down.

Practically speaking the chances are slim to none.
The Ravens need to get healthy for the playoffs.
Any defensive player with injuries needs to sit.
The offense needs the practice.

I think we CAN win with our backups in there.
If nothing else, this year has proven that we need to at least KNOW, who we can use as our backups. Playing them now gives us more time to get them up to speed and I be;lieve we can win with them in this particular game anyways.

lets figure that new england well win,its makes sense to use this week as a bye and rest the walking wounded.play joe he needs the work, but dont expose to to be a sitting duck for the long passes.shot passes and runs woul be the answer.

[quote name='BmoreB' timestamp='1356545149' post='1279342']
To those that think Miami can win, think of it this way:

Tom Brady, at home, in December, vs Miami and a rookie QB. No chance.

Rest em !!!
[/quote]

Tom Brady has already lost to Kolb/Skelton/Lindley and Russel Wilson this season, and nearly got washed by Jacksonville last week.
Always a chance.

"If you want to be the best , you have to beat the best" I say we rest just the injured players and go after those Bengals. We need to keep this momentum going. If you're gonna play scared you might as well go home.
The Ravens love to play and they love to play hard.
We need to put some fear in the eyes of the other teams. Its no time for slacking.

I'd rather be the 4th seed than the 3rd. Here's why: As the 4th seed we get to face the Colts who are a smidgen of an easier opposition than the Bengals who have a very underrated defense. I also hate playing AFC North foes in the playoffs-- anything can happen with the familiarity factor.

Second step. We win at home against the Colts, and then we get to face the top seed which should be the Texans if things go as most of us think they will this coming weekend. I know I'll hate to go to Mile High to play a rested Peyton Manning, and that is exactly what the third seeded Patriots have to do if they beat the 6th seeded Bengals-- which they should.

If we beat the Texans-- which we can, and should (forget that anomaly of a game earlier in the season) then we get to face the winner of a Patriots/Broncos showdown on the road. At this time I'm feeling the Broncos are due for a loss, and it comes at the worst time-- the playoffs. So we face the Patriots at Gillette Stadium-- a venue the Ravens don't really mind playing at quite frankly. I think this is the Ravens' easiest path to a championship. I hope Joe Flacco still kept some of that lightning he caught in that bottle on Sunday, we could use it. Fasten your seat belts guys!

[quote name='riseNConquer81' timestamp='1356547890' post='1279376']
Tom Brady has already lost to Kolb/Skelton/Lindley and Russel Wilson this season, and nearly got washed by Jacksonville last week.
Always a chance.
[/quote]

Of course there's always a chance but to compare Wilson/Seahawks to Tannehill/Dolphins is a stretch. As far as the Cards, every team has a fluke game.

Now if you want to compare Tannehill's girl to Brady's girl, there's a debate :)

[quote name='roamingcharges' timestamp='1356548304' post='1279382']
I'd rather be the 4th seed than the 3rd. Here's why: As the 4th seed we get to face the Colts who are a smidgen of an easier opposition than the Bengals who have a very underrated defense. I also hate playing AFC North foes in the playoffs-- anything can happen with the familiarity factor.

Second step. We win at home against the Colts, and then we get to face the top seed which should be the Texans if things go as most of us think they will this coming weekend. I know I'll hate to go to Mile High to play a rested Peyton Manning, and that is exactly what the third seeded Patriots have to do if they beat the 6th seeded Bengals-- which they should.
[/quote]

Pagano has been scheming against our offense for the past several years and there's not much of a sample to study on Luck or any of his offense really except Reggie Wayne. Dalton on the other hand, has no idea what to do with our defensne no matter what shape its in...is often conservative, and has yet to come close to beating us.

And I dont believe in running away from this or that person in the playoffs...If you think Peyton Manning is invincible, then he's just gonna off us in the AFCCG anyway...which would feel worse. Using Tom Brady as a shield isnt tht great of a plan considering 1) Denver D is exactly the kind that can demolish Brady and take him off his groove and 2) even if they werent, Brady has yet to score more than Peyton in their periodic lil clashes anyway.
There arent any bonus points for hanging around the playoffs as long as you can and nobody in the post season is easy to beat...ask Marshawn Lynch.

@roamingcharges - I know we don't think NE losing to MIA is likely, but let's assume they do - since that is the point of this discussion (given that's the only way we raise our seed). So anything I say from here forward assumes that result.

The fact is, we really don't know at this point how the seedings are going to shake out. I don't think it is far fetched at all to see the Texans loing in Indy this week. If that happens then grabbing the #3 will be the only way to get the pathway you describe. The difference will be - we'll be playing NE at home in the AFCN, rather than on the road. While Gillette is a venue the Ravens don't mind playing at, I think M&T is better.

meh, we're better off with #4 seed going at the colts and texans. Frankly I think DEN is the favorite over NE, especially if at Denver. They have the D that the Pats don't. I dont want to be at Denver in the divisional round. Peyton has killed us there multiple times in the past. Texans are vulnerable, that is our best path (if we beat IND) of the afc title game. either way, we're definitely a longer shot than DEN and NE, so lets face it, the road will be hard now matter how you slice it. Can Joe string together 3 great performances? we will see

[quote name='sami' timestamp='1356547981' post='1279377']
"If you want to be the best , you have to beat the best" I say we rest just the injured players and go after those Bengals. We need to keep this momentum going. If you're gonna play scared you might as well go home.
The Ravens love to play and they love to play hard.
We need to put some fear in the eyes of the other teams. Its no time for slacking.
[/quote]

I agree 100%. Rest only those who are already ailing and need to heal. Everyone else plays. I've posted elsewhere, I agree with Belichick's response to his critics when his players have gotten hurt in "meaningless" games/situations. "Football players play football. You tell me which guys are going to get hurt and I'll get them out of there."

Especially since we are still getting our footing with a new OC, we need to run a real game offensively. We saw how we played at home with Caldwell getting plays in and keeping the pace moving. We need to get one under the belt for him on the road playing our game. That's why this game can't be treated like game 4 of the preseason.

[quote name='chevalier' timestamp='1356549237' post='1279392']
meh, we're better off with #4 seed going at the colts and texans. Frankly I think DEN is the favorite over NE, especially if at Denver. They have the D that the Pats don't. I dont want to be at Denver in the divisional round. Peyton has killed us there multiple times in the past. Texans are vulnerable, that is our best path (if we beat IND) of the afc title game. either way, we're definitely a longer shot than DEN and NE, so lets face it, the road will be hard now matter how you slice it. Can Joe string together 3 great performances? we will see
[/quote]
Again - these scenarios are only set if HOU locks down the 1 seed. They don't have that locked and I don't see a loss in Indy (given they are, as you say, vulnerable) to be a stretch. Get the best seed you can, play with purpose and confidence and the rest will take care of itself.

[quote name='BmoreB' timestamp='1356548626' post='1279383']
Of course there's always a chance but to compare Wilson/Seahawks to Tannehill/Dolphins is a stretch. As far as the Cards, every team has a fluke game.

Now if you want to compare Tannehill's girl to Brady's girl, there's a debate :)
[/quote]

Tannehill's not the one that has to stop Brady, NE limped out of there with a one TD lead last time they played. Seattle and Miami's defense are mirror images: bunch of underrated/underappreciated dudes lookin for respect.

And Tannehill and Wilson arent all that different, only discrepancy i see really are a couple of offensive weapons...Miami could do better than Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas, and who can name even one Miami Receiver.
But NE has been beaten before with little to no involvement from a QB, so its not that much of a stretch.

Dangling carrot depending on Tannehill and Reggie Bush...............heh-heh. Any given Sunday. ha,hahahahahhhhhhaaaaaa The Brady led Pats can get a bye by winning if Denver loses at home. Rest our vets, play our rookies let the injured heal. We ain't moving to 3rd. Sign Joe Flacco now!!

@Balfan23 and RiseNConquer81, thanks for reading the post and responding. More than anything else I appreciate the constructive criticism without being negative-- way to go guys! While I understand the philosophies that prescribe that you don't duck anyone if you have real dreams of winning a trophy, you always should hope for the best match-ups while preparing for the worst. As the boxing pundits love to say, "styles make fights". I just think we match up better with Houston and New England than Denver-- not to say we cannot beat the Broncos, because we can.

Another thing is I admit that the season is not over until it is over and I can't assume NE will beat Miami or Houston will roll over Indy, but sometimes you just look at the odds when you have little else to go by. That principle informed my entire thought process that I'd rather host the Colts, then visit the Texans, then Pats and then end up in New Orleans against any of those NFC teams. Nice and logical argument though.

balfan23
Posted
18 minutes ago chevalier, on 26 December 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

Again - these scenarios are only set if HOU locks down the 1 seed. They don't have that locked and I don't see a loss in Indy (given they are, as you say, vulnerable) to be a stretch. Get the best seed you can, play with purpose and confidence and the rest will take care of itself.

The Colts are locked into the 5. If their offensive line continues to play like it has, I don't see Luck playing past the 1st half. Houston has to win this game. Indy could care less.

I think the Dolphins have a better shot of beating NE than Indy does of beating Houston.

The difference to me between the Bengals and Colts has nothing to do with offense. Both have one legitimate NFL caliber WR, medicore RBs, and a young QB who hates pressure.

The difference is defensively. Indy has very little to no pass rush, and they give up a ton of yardage on the ground. That's good for TOP.

Cincy has arguably the best pass rush in football, and they have much better corners.

Also, on a side note, Ray Lewis was just activated, and LaQuan Williams just went on IR.

Defensive line has been playing better, even against the Broncos. Giants proved that was a big key in getting to and winning the Super Bowl last season. If we get the Colts round 1, I think we'll get to Luck early and often and force some turnovers. Their O-line is pretty terrible.

[quote name='rmcjacket23' timestamp='1356550966' post='1279433']
The difference to me between the Bengals and Colts has nothing to do with offense. Both have one legitimate NFL caliber WR, medicore RBs, and a young QB who hates pressure.

The difference is defensively. Indy has very little to no pass rush, and they give up a ton of yardage on the ground. That's good for TOP.

Cincy has arguably the best pass rush in football, and they have much better corners.

Also, on a side note, Ray Lewis was just activated, and LaQuan Williams just went on IR.
[/quote]

i dont know about much better corners. Vontae Davis aint no slouch, and picking on Cassius Vaughn hasnt been that easy. Bengals have Leon Hall, but other than him, none of those DBs is really all that.

Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney, and Cory Redding are nothing to sneeze at either, especially when they Have Pagano backing them who knows exactly how to push this lines buttons. Rookie Osemele and Oher at LT arent all that, they can definitely be beaten, and we're kind of weak at the guard spot.

Plus, we aint doing that great against the run, and we're using 5th string corners.

IN a vacuum, Cincy has a better defense, but when you factor in who their opponent would be, Indy has just enough lil bonuses to make it a wash between the two, neither defense will be that easy for us to deal with.

[quote name='riseNConquer81' timestamp='1356549660' post='1279403']
Tannehill's not the one that has to stop Brady, NE limped out of there with a one TD lead last time they played. Seattle and Miami's defense are mirror images: bunch of underrated/underappreciated dudes lookin for respect.

And Tannehill and Wilson arent all that different, only discrepancy i see really are a couple of offensive weapons...Miami could do better than Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas, and who can name even one Miami Receiver.
But NE has been beaten before with little to no involvement from a QB, so its not that much of a stretch.
[/quote]

*The two defenses are not mirror images... SEA #4... MIA #18
*Tannehill/Wislon are quite different... RT 12TD-12INT... RW 25TD -12INT (looks different to me)
*It's a stretch
*I'll give you Miami w/2-1 odds for as much as you like, just say the word :)

i dont know about much better corners. Vontae Davis aint no slouch, and picking on Cassius Vaughn hasnt been that easy. Bengals have Leon Hall, but other than him, none of those DBs is really all that.

Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney, and Cory Redding are nothing to sneeze at either, especially when they Have Pagano backing them who knows exactly how to push this lines buttons. Rookie Osemele and Oher at LT arent all that, they can definitely be beaten, and we're kind of weak at the guard spot.

Plus, we aint doing that great against the run, and we're using 5th string corners.

IN a vacuum, Cincy has a better defense, but when you factor in who their opponent would be, Indy has just enough lil bonuses to make it a wash between the two, neither defense will be that easy for us to deal with.

Nobody fears Mathis or Freeney anymore. They are aging 4-3 lineman playing in a 3-4 scheme. It's the reason they are one of the worst teams in the league in sacks and one of the worst in stopping the run. They are very much like Ray Lewis these days... leaders in the locker room who's name recognition exceeds on field production.

I feel much better about a team that gives up 40 more yards per game on the ground and 4.5 points more per game.

Stats and projections aside, we're going to have to go after whoever it is we're playing. We're going to have to win on the road (eventually) and we're going to have to upset some pretty good teams. Everyone talks about the NFC's elite teams and all of the just under elite teams they have, but the top 3 seeds Baltimore (if you catch us on a good day) are just as tough as the NFC's top 3 - 4 seeds. This is what the whole season leads up to, so maybe every playoff team has a legitimate shot at a Title, 'World Champions'.

I say we go hard and for it all!! We've proven ourselves on the road and at home during the playoffs. We need to go strong and be prepared, regardless of the route we take.