76 replies to this topic

#1 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

We have many contributors at cb excluding webb like cary, corey and chykie . That's four corners that the team has confidence in, which is just incredible. Now, we also drafted a corner in the first round named Jimmy Smith. He somewhat asserted himself last year, especially in new england. but now he has dropped off to 5th in the depth chart, assuming webb would be number one.

This is no knock on him but praise to ozzie who has turned our cb corps from pitiful(2010) to ,with webb, perhaps best in the league.

Only question now is what is jimmy's role as the presumable 5th corner.Surprising for a a corner touted as the next nnamdi

#2 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,751 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

Jimmy simply has to try and earn his spot back over the rest of this season and next off-season. It's a shame injuries have prevented him from gaining as much experience his first two seasons.

I doubt he played more snaps than Brown last night but I think he still has a chance to overtake him going into the play-offs.

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 24 December 2012 - 05:07 PM.

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#3 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Jimmy needs time..... He is a CB, that position takes years to develop, he will be starting next year.... It's hard coming back from an injury.... He will be back.... Trust me. He looked good this year, I saw him play vs Denver basically eliminating Thomas, he shut down Ausitn. Maybe he reinsured something. He is a damn good CB, he will be fine. He will take Cary's spot next year.
Banned

#4 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hopefully he can stay healthy. It's hard to evaluate CBs as fan you only see them when they're bored.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#5 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

His been injured after another. Very unfortunate for him. This was a frustrating year for him. Hope he can contribute in the playoffs. We need all the help we can get.

#6 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

He's still our youngest corner and still has much to learn.

At Colorado he was a very physical corner with a lot of raw talent. Now that he is in the league he's beginning to understand that he can't bully every receiver he's matched up against. I think the sky is the limit for Jimmy as long as he's coachable.

bleed P U R P L E!

#7 baltravens

baltravens

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

For Jimmy, he could be a bust. We will know that by this time next year as I have brought that up in a thread here 3 weeks ago. I hope not, but this could be the case.

#8 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

We have many contributors at cb excluding webb like cary, corey and chykie . That's four corners that the team has confidence in, which is just incredible. Now, we also drafted a corner in the first round named Jimmy Smith. He somewhat asserted himself last year, especially in new england. but now he has dropped off to 5th in the depth chart, assuming webb would be number one.

This is no knock on him but praise to ozzie who has turned our cb corps from pitiful(2010) to ,with webb, perhaps best in the league.

Only question now is what is jimmy's role as the presumable 5th corner.Surprising for a a corner touted as the next nnamdi

My perception on Jimmy's role is he needs to earn a spot now and if not he will be practice squad bound. He has not remained healthy in any season since he has been drafted and when he is healthy he has some very bad habits which need attention ASAP. If he does not come in and make an impression he will not be in a starters Jersey long as we need adequate corners next season.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#9 Crabcakes&Football

Crabcakes&Football

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

He definitely needs to step up. Can't label him a bust yet, look what Kruger is doing now.
Enjoy the Ride.
Posted Image

#10 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,760 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

I wish he could just stay healthy. We've seen him play great, and we've seen him get lit up. The more expierence he gets (by staying healthy) the more comfortable he should be. And eventually be starting
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#11 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,947 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

My perception on Jimmy's role is he needs to earn a spot now and if not he will be practice squad bound. He has not remained healthy in any season since he has been drafted and when he is healthy he has some very bad habits which need attention ASAP. If he does not come in and make an impression he will not be in a starters Jersey long as we need adequate corners next season.

1. No way the Ravens would just release/waive Jimmy Smith this early in his career.
2. Jimmy Smith isn't even eligible for the practice squad.

Carry on.

#12 Guest_RBates_*

Guest_RBates_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Austin deserves a lot of respect for the job the Db's have done, really all year. I'm amazed at Brown at corner. I never really liked Jimmy Smith. I hope he pans out though.

#13 TDubbs

TDubbs

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

I'm not worried about Jimmy Smith's status on this team. He's been oft injured, something he needs, and I feel he will, get over. He also just needs to grow up some, which he will. He is verrrrry raw talent at the Cornerback position, he still needs time. It was too easy for him in college because he was to physically superior at his position. He's found that won't help him at this level. He will be fine in time as he becomes a true professional.

#14 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

As I said yesterday, if they cut anyone at the DB position, it'll be Williams -- he has had more than enough chances. Should be an interesting camp next season to see who gets those prestigious spots in our secondary.

As others have stated, Jimmy is way too young to be thinking about letting him go now. Look what we put up with from Sergio Kindle...

~ Cosmic

WE RAISE OUR HEAVY GLASS TO YOU IN OUR INDESTRUCTIBLE DAYS
login.png
MAY HEAVENS CALL TO YOU, MAY STARS ALIGN AND LIGHT YOUR WAY

#15 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,769 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

They're not even going to re-sign Cary Williams at the end of the season so theres no reason this is even a topic. JSmith will be back as a starter next year until Webb is able to come back 100% off the knee. Then it will be JSmith at nickel with Webb and Graham.

Edited by Bltravens, 24 December 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#16 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Webb/Smith will be the best duo CB in the league....nuff said....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#17 PeRK82

PeRK82

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

Sorry bud, didn't even read your post but i read you Thread title. NOW WHAT ????

You want to know what i think, Cut him and cut our Losses. Our Secondary is as good as its going to get, and i actually think its going to be or is better without him honestly. Cut our losses NOW , don't let this be another Kindle. If we were to trade him for a draft pick, i dont think we could get more than a 3 rd and 5th pick at best.

#18 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

He and Chykie are the youngest corners on the team but Chykie didn't suffer the string of injuries Jimmy had. Also Chykie has made some mistakes as well but they aren't highlighted because he was coming in on 4 WR sets.

2yno6dx.png

#19 BaltimoreBean

BaltimoreBean

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Sorry bud, didn't even read your post but i read you Thread title. NOW WHAT ????

You want to know what i think, Cut him and cut our Losses. Our Secondary is as good as its going to get, and i actually think its going to be or is better without him honestly. Cut our losses NOW , don't let this be another Kindle. If we were to trade him for a draft pick, i dont think we could get more than a 3 rd and 5th pick at best.

I agree that he's been a disappointment thus far, but I just don't see them cutting him while he's playing under his rookie deal. If anything I'm sure they'll wait untill he's up for an extension and then make their decision.

#20 ravensfan2430

ravensfan2430

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

Jimmy needs time..... He is a CB, that position takes years to develop, he will be starting next year.... It's hard coming back from an injury.... He will be back.... Trust me. He looked good this year, I saw him play vs Denver basically eliminating Thomas, he shut down Ausitn. Maybe he reinsured something. He is a damn good CB, he will be fine. He will take Cary's spot next year.

He needs time, yes, but he has played pretty terrible for being a 1st round pick thus far.
GO Ravens!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users