Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BMORE_96

Jimmy Smith (now what?)

77 posts in this topic

We have many contributors at cb excluding webb like cary, corey and chykie . That's four corners that the team has confidence in, which is just incredible. Now, we also drafted a corner in the first round named Jimmy Smith. He somewhat asserted himself last year, especially in new england. but now he has dropped off to 5th in the depth chart, assuming webb would be number one.

This is no knock on him but praise to ozzie who has turned our cb corps from pitiful(2010) to ,with webb, perhaps best in the league.

Only question now is what is jimmy's role as the presumable 5th corner.Surprising for a a corner touted as the next nnamdi

Jimmy simply has to try and earn his spot back over the rest of this season and next off-season. It's a shame injuries have prevented him from gaining as much experience his first two seasons.

I doubt he played more snaps than Brown last night but I think he still has a chance to overtake him going into the play-offs.

Jimmy needs time..... He is a CB, that position takes years to develop, he will be starting next year.... It's hard coming back from an injury.... He will be back.... Trust me. He looked good this year, I saw him play vs Denver basically eliminating Thomas, he shut down Ausitn. Maybe he reinsured something. He is a damn good CB, he will be fine. He will take Cary's spot next year.

His been injured after another. Very unfortunate for him. This was a frustrating year for him. Hope he can contribute in the playoffs. We need all the help we can get.

He's still our youngest corner and still has much to learn.

At Colorado he was a very physical corner with a lot of raw talent. Now that he is in the league he's beginning to understand that he can't bully every receiver he's matched up against. I think the sky is the limit for Jimmy as long as he's coachable.

For Jimmy, he could be a bust. We will know that by this time next year as I have brought that up in a thread here 3 weeks ago. I hope not, but this could be the case.

[quote name='BMORE_96' timestamp='1356386006' post='1278271']
We have many contributors at cb excluding webb like cary, corey and chykie . That's four corners that the team has confidence in, which is just incredible. Now, we also drafted a corner in the first round named Jimmy Smith. He somewhat asserted himself last year, especially in new england. but now he has dropped off to 5th in the depth chart, assuming webb would be number one.

This is no knock on him but praise to ozzie who has turned our cb corps from pitiful(2010) to ,with webb, perhaps best in the league.

Only question now is what is jimmy's role as the presumable 5th corner.Surprising for a a corner touted as the next nnamdi
[/quote]

My perception on Jimmy's role is he needs to earn a spot now and if not he will be practice squad bound. He has not remained healthy in any season since he has been drafted and when he is healthy he has some very bad habits which need attention ASAP. If he does not come in and make an impression he will not be in a starters Jersey long as we need adequate corners next season.

I wish he could just stay healthy. We've seen him play great, and we've seen him get lit up. The more expierence he gets (by staying healthy) the more comfortable he should be. And eventually be starting

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1356391957' post='1278353']
My perception on Jimmy's role is he needs to earn a spot now and if not he will be practice squad bound. He has not remained healthy in any season since he has been drafted and when he is healthy he has some very bad habits which need attention ASAP. If he does not come in and make an impression he will not be in a starters Jersey long as we need adequate corners next season.
[/quote]

1. No way the Ravens would just release/waive Jimmy Smith this early in his career.
2. Jimmy Smith isn't even eligible for the practice squad.

Carry on.

Austin deserves a lot of respect for the job the Db's have done, really all year. I'm amazed at Brown at corner. I never really liked Jimmy Smith. I hope he pans out though.

I'm not worried about Jimmy Smith's status on this team. He's been oft injured, something he needs, and I feel he will, get over. He also just needs to grow up some, which he will. He is verrrrry raw talent at the Cornerback position, he still needs time. It was too easy for him in college because he was to physically superior at his position. He's found that won't help him at this level. He will be fine in time as he becomes a true professional.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]As I said yesterday, if they cut anyone at the DB position, it'll be Williams -- he has had more than enough chances. Should be an interesting camp next season to see who gets those prestigious spots in our secondary.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]As others have stated, Jimmy is way too young to be thinking about letting him go now. Look what we put up with from Sergio Kindle...[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]~ Cosmic[/i][/font]

They're not even going to re-sign Cary Williams at the end of the season so theres no reason this is even a topic. JSmith will be back as a starter next year until Webb is able to come back 100% off the knee. Then it will be JSmith at nickel with Webb and Graham.

[quote name='BMORE_96' timestamp='1356386006' post='1278271']

[/quote]

Sorry bud, didn't even read your post but i read you Thread title. NOW WHAT ????

You want to know what i think, Cut him and cut our Losses. Our Secondary is as good as its going to get, and i actually think its going to be or is better without him honestly. Cut our losses NOW , don't let this be another Kindle. If we were to trade him for a draft pick, i dont think we could get more than a 3 rd and 5th pick at best.

He and Chykie are the youngest corners on the team but Chykie didn't suffer the string of injuries Jimmy had. Also Chykie has made some mistakes as well but they aren't highlighted because he was coming in on 4 WR sets.

[quote name='PeRK82' timestamp='1356407253' post='1278489']

Sorry bud, didn't even read your post but i read you Thread title. NOW WHAT ????

You want to know what i think, Cut him and cut our Losses. Our Secondary is as good as its going to get, and i actually think its going to be or is better without him honestly. Cut our losses NOW , don't let this be another Kindle. If we were to trade him for a draft pick, i dont think we could get more than a 3 rd and 5th pick at best.
[/quote]

I agree that he's been a disappointment thus far, but I just don't see them cutting him while he's playing under his rookie deal. If anything I'm sure they'll wait untill he's up for an extension and then make their decision.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1356386892' post='1278286']
Jimmy needs time..... He is a CB, that position takes years to develop, he will be starting next year.... It's hard coming back from an injury.... He will be back.... Trust me. He looked good this year, I saw him play vs Denver basically eliminating Thomas, he shut down Ausitn. Maybe he reinsured something. He is a damn good CB, he will be fine. He will take Cary's spot next year.
[/quote]

He needs time, yes, but he has played pretty terrible for being a 1st round pick thus far.

[quote name='ravensfan2430' timestamp='1356409816' post='1278529']
He needs time, yes, but he has played pretty terrible for being a 1st round pick thus far.
[/quote]

No, not really

I'm glad most of you aren't running the team. Get rid of Jimmy? Really? He's a 1st round pick with tremendous tools that he has yet to put together. While he's had some rough games, he's also had some really good games.

And to take Chykie Brown over him? Yeah, he played well yesterday. Are we really going to base his skill off of one game? I think he has potential, but to get rid of a 1st rounder because he had one good game? Ridiculous.

[quote name='ravensfan2430' timestamp='1356410784' post='1278539']
Yes, really.
[/quote]

Nope, sorry

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1356410950' post='1278541']
Nope, sorry
[/quote]

I assume you mean he doesn't need more time, because he hasn't been productive at all so far. ...sorry

[quote name='ravensfan2430' timestamp='1356411172' post='1278542']
I assume you mean he doesn't need more time, because he hasn't been productive at all so far. ...sorry
[/quote]

Really? Guess you haven't watched him much.
He hasn't been knock your socks off great, but to say he has played terribly for a first rounder is one hell of a stretch.

[quote name='ravensfan2430' timestamp='1356409816' post='1278529']
[/quote]
Simply not true. Carry on though.

[quote name='flynismo' timestamp='1356411592' post='1278544']
Really? Guess you haven't watched him much.
He hasn't been knock your socks off great, but to say he has played terribly for a first rounder is one hell of a stretch.
[/quote]

You guessed wrong.
To say he has played anywhere close to the word great is laughable. He was getting beat on double moves all the time, commiting penalties, and when he did make plays it looked like he was getting away with holds and illegal contact. I think he has the potential to play well, but his Chris McCalister style of play is harder to get away with nowadays since the league doesn't allow touching. His ball awareness hasn't been impressive either.

I think all the problems I mentioned above will be solved with health and a little more regular playing time. It hasn't just hasn't happened yet.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1356412012' post='1278549']
Simply not true. Carry on though.
[/quote]
Will do. The fact that he hasn't seen the field much since being a Raven speaks volumes for me. Thanks

[quote name='BaltimoreBean' timestamp='1356408901' post='1278515']
I agree that he's been a disappointment thus far, but I just don't see them cutting him while he's playing under his [b]rookie deal. If anything I'm sure they'll wait untill he's up for an extension and then make their decision.[/b]
[/quote]

No bud , this his second yr. Sorry to bust you bubble. lol Its his second yr.