Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ragin'Raven

It's snowing! :)

146 posts in this topic

[quote name='Ragin'Raven' timestamp='1356549977' post='1279410']
They rarely closed schools either, at least that I remember. We lived in Hamilton, OH, for a few of my childhood years, and I can't remember too many snow days. They definitely know how to handle snow in the Mid-West, you're correct! :)
[/quote]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]When I was in middle school and high school, I think in those seven-years we had a grand total of 3 snow days. Granted, I only lived a 1/2-mile from the school and there was no bus that ran that close to the school. So, I literally had to walk to school up Doran Hill, which was about a 50-to-60-degree incline. Going up wasn't so bad... going down... well, you can imagine.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Oh, the good ol' days.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]~ Cosmic[/font][/i]
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I think we had more school delays for fog than we did for snow.[/font][/i]

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1356381096' post='1278188']
Its maryland. Thats white death out there.
[/quote]
[quote name='Moderator 2' timestamp='1356550316' post='1279418']
so Im not the only one that calls it that lol
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]That's what I call mayonnaise.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]~ Cosmic[/i][/font]

[media]http://youtu.be/w_LQhzvE5Gw[/media]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Sorry about the wind, couldn't be helped.[/i][/font]

[quote name='Moderator 2' timestamp='1356550316' post='1279418']
so Im not the only one that calls it that lol
[/quote]
I called it that... 2010
WORST YEAR EVER!

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1356552030' post='1279455']
I called it that... 2010
WORST YEAR EVER!
[/quote]
SNOWMAGEDDON!!! Where the native soil got two February blizzards that dumped four and a half feet of snow on us in the span of three days!!!! Where I stepped out on the front porch and couldn't see my six foot tall vehicle!!! Where I had to go out in the side yard and dig out the Hemlock branches to keep them from bending too far!!! Yay Snowmageddon....not....digging out my vehicle was a serious pain...both literally and figuratively.

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1356552733' post='1279462']
SNOWMAGEDDON!!! Where the native soil got two February blizzards that dumped four and a half feet of snow on us in the span of three days!!!! Where I stepped out on the front porch and couldn't see my six foot tall vehicle!!! Where I had to go out in the side yard and dig out the Hemlock branches to keep them from bending too far!!! Yay Snowmageddon....not....digging out my vehicle was a serious pain...both literally and figuratively.
[/quote]
It took me three days to get out of my own driveway....

The snow I didn't mind. The snow that turned into rain, with all this snow on the ground, I don't like too much. Ick!

Hey CRP...hopefully you are in a place that you are safe and can stay there. DCEMA has issued Red Travel Status....emergency travel only until 10 am.

Is Rushville in Decatur County?

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1356552030' post='1279455']

I called it that... 2010
WORST YEAR EVER!
[/quote]agreed!!!!!

[quote name='Ragin'Raven' timestamp='1356554387' post='1279475']
The snow I didn't mind. The snow that turned into rain, with all this snow on the ground, I don't like too much. Ick!
[/quote]typical MD schlop! Unless you are ( profanity not said ) north and west of the city ugh
I kid you not we used to go to my sisters Christmas Eve in Arbutus, it would be 40 degrees, hit 795 34 degrees slide down the ramp on OMB and it was 33 degrees slide past MPT 29 degrees and 4 inches of snow at home.

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1356559765' post='1279548']
Hey CRP...hopefully you are in a place that you are safe and can stay there. DCEMA has issued Red Travel Status....emergency travel only until 10 am.

Is Rushville in Decatur County?
[/quote]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Nope... Rushville has it's own county. Rush County.[/font][/i]

[center][i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][img]http://www.cyberindiana.com/maps/rush_county.jpg[/img][/font][/i][/center]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I'm north of you. ;)[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]~ Cosmic[/font][/i]
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Our state even looks like a stocking. :P[/font][/i]

Cosmic, we used to drive over to Brown County, Indiana in the Fall to look at the leaves. I haven't been there in about 15 years, but it was always so pretty that time of year. :)

[quote name='Ragin'Raven' timestamp='1356566534' post='1279644']
Cosmic, we used to drive over to Brown County, Indiana in the Fall to look at the leaves. I haven't been there in about 15 years, but it was always so pretty that time of year. :)
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Little Nashville... yeah. Same here. I love that place. We used to rent a cabin there for the Fourth Of July holiday, but we haven't been able to get our normal cabin (named "Almost Heaven") for the last two summers.. so, we've put it off. Rent some horses, go swimming, hiking... and best of all.. no cell phones.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I wonder what it looks like right now with all the snow. *sighs*[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]You got me all nostalgic.[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356564951' post='1279621']
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Nope... Rushville has it's own county. Rush County.[/font][/i]

[center][i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][img]http://www.cyberindiana.com/maps/rush_county.jpg[/img][/font][/i][/center]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I'm north of you. ;)[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]~ Cosmic[/font][/i]
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Our state even looks like a stocking. :P[/font][/i]
[/quote]

YOUR state. My deepest roots are elsewhere! :P :)

Well I would assume that if Decatur County put out a declaration, that Rush County did as well. Be warm and safe tonight!

my wife is from the Boston area. She laughs at this area when it "snows".

Her first winter here they had a school closing, she thought something had gone horribly wrong.
I explained to her it was because of the snow she looked at me like I had three heads.

They are pretty hard core up there in the Boston area.

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1356572784' post='1279722']
YOUR state. My deepest roots are elsewhere! :P :)

Well I would assume that if Decatur County put out a declaration, that Rush County did as well. Be warm and safe tonight!
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]No clue if there is a warning or not, I don't watch regular TV. Netflix, Hulu and whatever else I can find for free on the computer. :P I'm a smegging cheapskate.[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356573413' post='1279734']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]No clue if there is a warning or not, I don't watch regular TV. Netflix, Hulu and whatever else I can find for free on the computer. :P I'm a smegging cheapskate.[/i][/font]

[/quote]

You know it's bad when the Pacers have to postpone one of their games!

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1356574885' post='1279760']
You know it's bad when the Pacers have to postpone one of their games!
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Seriously, it's not that bad. I was thinking of going out later just to do donuts in the Kroger parking lot with the kids. Ugh...[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]...Perhaps the downside of living here my whole life, it doesn't matter how high the snow gets, it's never high enough. I just hope the power stays on so I don't have to go outside and dig a makeshift cooler in the snow to hide all of our perishable foods like in 2010.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]And that hawk... keep that red tail away from me. I took our pug out to use the restroom in 2010.. the hawk came down and tried to take off with him. His wings hit the side of my hoodie... scared the smeg right out of me.[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356575254' post='1279766']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Seriously, it's not that bad. I was thinking of going out later just to do donuts in the Kroger parking lot with the kids. Ugh...[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]...Perhaps the downside of living here my whole life, it doesn't matter how high the snow gets, it's never high enough. I just hope the power stays on so I don't have to go outside and dig a makeshift cooler in the snow to hide all of our perishable foods like in 2010.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]And that hawk... keep that red tail away from me. I took our pug out to use the restroom in 2010.. the hawk came down and tried to take off with him. His wings hit the side of my hoodie... scared the smeg right out of me.[/i][/font]

[/quote]

What's the worst you ever got, 5 ft?

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1356575494' post='1279772']
What's the worst you ever got, 5 ft?
[/quote]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]For the entire winter, or a 24-hour period? We counting drifts?[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]If we go with a 24-hour period, no drifts -- there was nearly three-feet of snow in one day back in December 2004. The reason I remember it so well... I had just moved back from my nine-month transplant in Florida.[/font][/i]

We got snowflakes down in Gainesville last winter. I remember standing outside watching it with the palm trees 20 feet in front of me. It was very bizarre.

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356575787' post='1279779']
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]For the entire winter, or a 24-hour period? We counting drifts?[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]If we go with a 24-hour period, no drifts -- there was nearly three-feet of snow in one day back in December 2004. The reason I remember it so well... I had just moved back from my nine-month transplant in Florida.[/font][/i]

[/quote]

What's the worst you've gotten over the course of say a week? I'm guessing it can accumulate to an astronomically high height.

It snowed 7"4 in Silver Lake, Colorado on April 14-15, 1921.

The most it's ever snowed in 1 storm in the U.S. was 15"9 in Mt. Shasta Ski Bowl, California on Feb 13-19, 1959.

The most snow to fall in 1 season in the U.S. was 95 ft in Mount Baker, Washington in 1998-1999.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1356576082' post='1279786']
What's the worst you've gotten over the course of say a week? I'm guessing it can accumulate to an astronomically high height.
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]In a week?... I've seen 8-foot tall privacy fences disappear. I remember my old apartment building, we had these sliding doors that lead out to the porch. The whole door was blanketed with snow. I used to stand there, drinking hot chocolate, just laughing.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I've had to dig tunnels out of my front door. The actual height though... say 10-12 feet in a week.[/i][/font]

[quote name='Ragin'Raven' timestamp='1356576238' post='1279788']
What part of Florida were you "transplanted" to, Cosmic?
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]As Nurps would say, "Pistol Packing" Pinellas Park... Funny, the wife was watching one of those real-life murder mystery shows the other day about a murder that happened there. Then I found out it was in 2008, didn't care after that. I was down there when the guy from that reality show "Cheaters" got stabbed on the boat. It was all over the news. Real or fake, I don't know...[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356576670' post='1279795']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]In a week?... I've seen 8-foot tall privacy fences disappear. I remember my old apartment building, we had these sliding doors that lead out to the porch. The whole door was blanketed with snow. I used to stand there, drinking hot chocolate, just laughing.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I've had to dig tunnels out of my front door. The actual height though... say 10-12 feet in a week.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]As Nurps would say, "Pistol Packing" Pinellas Park... Funny, the wife was watching one of those real-life murder mystery shows the other day about a murder that happened there. Then I found out it was in 2008, didn't care after that. I was down there when the guy from that reality show "Cheaters" got stabbed on the boat. It was all over the news. Real or fake, I don't know...[/i][/font]

[/quote]

Your house has been buried in 12 ft of snow?! How do you survive?!

Crazy stuff!

[img]http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/misc/snowdrift1.gif[/img]

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--CesWmxon3w/ULHQc5mEavI/AAAAAAAAMF4/iSC5-8lH_lE/s1600/snowtunnels.jpg[/img]

Lol, all we got today was tornado warnings all around and ALOT of rain! Lord have mercy, we get an inch on the ground here in NC and they close the schools, lol. Ya know we Southerners and snow don't mix very well, lol.