Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ragin'Raven

It's snowing! :)

146 posts in this topic

Living in Florida for so many years has made me really appreciate being able to live in a climate now that lets it snow. I know it's probably stale for some of you, but I love looking out my kitchen window and seeing it come down! :) The only thing I have to get out for tonight is Midnight Mass, so let the snow fall! :)

Up here in NY, we haven't had a white Christmas in at least 3 years! MIght be 4, I can't remember that far back.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]We've got nothing here. No rain. No snow. Even the snow we just got has already melted away.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]No white Christmas here. :([/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]~ Cosmic[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Almost done retweaking the Joe sig. :P[/i][/font]

It will probably all melt tomorrow and Wednesday with the rain, but it's fun to look at on the ground! My husband works at 1:00 tomorrow afternoon though, and I don't want to think of him driving through it to get to the hospital. :( He's been a Southern driver for too many years now, so driving on snow is questionable for him.

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356382355' post='1278205']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]We've got nothing here. No rain. No snow. Even the snow we just got has already melted away.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]No white Christmas here. :([/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Almost done retweaking the Joe sig. :P[/i][/font]
[/quote]

Yeah but apparently we're going to get nailed right after Christmas......blech. I hate winter.

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1356415335' post='1278573']

Yeah but apparently we're going to get nailed right after Christmas......blech. I hate winter.
[/quote]
Come to the west then! Warm weather year round!

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1356415335' post='1278573']
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Yeeeah... we're under a Winter Weather Alert.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]So, looks like Euclid's hammering of the southeast will only be bested by his big brother getting ready to make landfall on the west coast. Hopefully that one rips across the country as fast as Euclid did.. or will for the next 36 hours.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Another surprise Christmas party just popped up on my radar this morning... looks like I'm headed your way again. :P[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356445356' post='1278666']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Yeeeah... we're under a Winter Weather Alert.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]So, looks like Euclid's hammering of the southeast will only be bested by his big brother getting ready to make landfall on the west coast. Hopefully that one rips across the country as fast as Euclid did.. or will for the next 36 hours.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Another surprise Christmas party just popped up on my radar this morning... looks like I'm headed your way again. :P[/i][/font]

[/quote]

Nope...we're under a winter weather warning now.

I'm packing a bag of spare clothing and toiletries just in case I have to crash at the truck stop tonight.

Also throwing a cold weather sleeping bag and a snow shovel in the car.

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1356449462' post='1278717']
Nope...we're under a winter weather warning now.

I'm packing a bag of spare clothing and toiletries just in case I have to crash at the truck stop tonight.

Also throwing a cold weather sleeping bag and a snow shovel in the car.
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Seriously... from a long-time Indiana native... don't go crazy. I think the grocery stores and news are in it together. People hear snow, and you can't find bread, milk, toilet paper or water in any store. It's actually quite funny after awhile.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Sleeping bag & shovel are good. If you can get some kitty litter or salt in the trunk, do that too in case you get stuck in the ice. ;)[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356449816' post='1278720']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Seriously... from a long-time Indiana native... don't go crazy. I think the grocery stores and news are in it together. People hear snow, and you can't find bread, milk, toilet paper or water in any store. It's actually quite funny after awhile.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Sleeping bag & shovel are good. If you can get some kitty litter or salt in the trunk, do that too in case you get stuck in the ice. ;)[/i][/font]

[/quote]

My fiance commented on my nervousness earlier. "You're from Pennsylvania. You should be used to this." My response? "I can drive fine in snow...but consider that, in PA, I didn't have to drive 18 miles a day to get back and forth from work!"

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1356451014' post='1278727']
My fiance commented on my nervousness earlier. "You're from Pennsylvania. You should be used to this." My response? "I can drive fine in snow...but consider that, in PA, I didn't have to drive 18 miles a day to get back and forth from work!"
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]If you're driving the interstate, and I'm assuming you are, just stay in the right-hand lane and you'll be all right. Semi's do a wonderful job of breaking up the snow & ice. ;)[/i][/font]

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1356451683' post='1278734']
I want to go to INdiana just to hear what all the fuss is about!
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]*LOL* It's really nothing. East Coasters should have no problem driving in this stuff. The NORTH Midwest... now that... that I would be worried about. Lake Effect Snow sucks. I've seen homes completely buried in a matter of hours, all you see is steam and smoke coming out of the chimney.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Off to Greensburg! WOO HOO![/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Please let there be veggies...[/i][/font]

I'm gonna find al gore and punch him in his global warmed face

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/42171653/DSCN0459.JPG[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/42171653/DSCN0460.JPG[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/42171653/DSCN0461.JPG[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]This is what a Midwest snowfall looks like.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I've got videos loading up to my YouTube account... when they're ready, I'll post those as well.[/i][/font]

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1356542845' post='1279311']
I'm gonna find al gore and punch him in his global warmed face
[/quote]
Watch out for man-bear-pig.

*Taco Bell chichuahua* Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere bleezard bleezard.

I theenk I need a beeger shovel.

[center][img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090206080802/manbearpig/images/7/74/Manbearpig.jpg[/img][/center]

[center]RAWR!!![/center]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Shovel? Who uses a shovel? Put the car in reverse and slam the gas until you hit the street. :D

~ Cosmic
Stupid YouTube... still waiting on that video to finish uploading. It's only 40 seconds and it's taken almost two hours to upload. :P[/i][/font]

[quote name='Ragin'Raven' timestamp='1356543735' post='1279327']
Snow turning into sleet, turning into rain. My Ohio childhood remembered... ;)
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Our favorite saying at work is ... "It's not going to stick."[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Even with a blizzard like this, we still say it. We had a co-worker, a real Mr.-Know-It-All and when there was a big snow storm back 2010, he said "It's not going to stick."[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]So, whether it's 20-feet or 2-inches... "It's not going to stick."[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356549773' post='1279406']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Our favorite saying at work is ... "It's not going to stick."[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Even with a blizzard like this, we still say it. We had a co-worker, a real Mr.-Know-It-All and when there was a big snow storm back 2010, he said "It's not going to stick."[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]So, whether it's 20-feet or 2-inches... "It's not going to stick."[/i][/font]

[/quote]

They rarely closed schools either, at least that I remember. We lived in Hamilton, OH, for a few of my childhood years, and I can't remember too many snow days. They definitely know how to handle snow in the Mid-West, you're correct! :)

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1356381096' post='1278188']
Its maryland. Thats white death out there.
[/quote]so Im not the only one that calls it that lol

[quote name='Ragin'Raven' timestamp='1356549977' post='1279410']
They rarely closed schools either, at least that I remember. We lived in Hamilton, OH, for a few of my childhood years, and I can't remember too many snow days. They definitely know how to handle snow in the Mid-West, you're correct! :)
[/quote]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]When I was in middle school and high school, I think in those seven-years we had a grand total of 3 snow days. Granted, I only lived a 1/2-mile from the school and there was no bus that ran that close to the school. So, I literally had to walk to school up Doran Hill, which was about a 50-to-60-degree incline. Going up wasn't so bad... going down... well, you can imagine.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Oh, the good ol' days.[/font][/i]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]~ Cosmic[/font][/i]
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I think we had more school delays for fog than we did for snow.[/font][/i]

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1356381096' post='1278188']
Its maryland. Thats white death out there.
[/quote]
[quote name='Moderator 2' timestamp='1356550316' post='1279418']
so Im not the only one that calls it that lol
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]That's what I call mayonnaise.[/i][/font]

[media]http://youtu.be/w_LQhzvE5Gw[/media]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Sorry about the wind, couldn't be helped.[/i][/font]

[quote name='Moderator 2' timestamp='1356550316' post='1279418']
so Im not the only one that calls it that lol
[/quote]
I called it that... 2010
WORST YEAR EVER!

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1356552030' post='1279455']
I called it that... 2010
WORST YEAR EVER!
[/quote]
SNOWMAGEDDON!!! Where the native soil got two February blizzards that dumped four and a half feet of snow on us in the span of three days!!!! Where I stepped out on the front porch and couldn't see my six foot tall vehicle!!! Where I had to go out in the side yard and dig out the Hemlock branches to keep them from bending too far!!! Yay Snowmageddon....not....digging out my vehicle was a serious pain...both literally and figuratively.

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1356552733' post='1279462']
SNOWMAGEDDON!!! Where the native soil got two February blizzards that dumped four and a half feet of snow on us in the span of three days!!!! Where I stepped out on the front porch and couldn't see my six foot tall vehicle!!! Where I had to go out in the side yard and dig out the Hemlock branches to keep them from bending too far!!! Yay Snowmageddon....not....digging out my vehicle was a serious pain...both literally and figuratively.
[/quote]
It took me three days to get out of my own driveway....

The snow I didn't mind. The snow that turned into rain, with all this snow on the ground, I don't like too much. Ick!

Hey CRP...hopefully you are in a place that you are safe and can stay there. DCEMA has issued Red Travel Status....emergency travel only until 10 am.

Is Rushville in Decatur County?

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1356552030' post='1279455']

I called it that... 2010
WORST YEAR EVER!
[/quote]agreed!!!!!

[quote name='Ragin'Raven' timestamp='1356554387' post='1279475']
The snow I didn't mind. The snow that turned into rain, with all this snow on the ground, I don't like too much. Ick!
[/quote]typical MD schlop! Unless you are ( profanity not said ) north and west of the city ugh
I kid you not we used to go to my sisters Christmas Eve in Arbutus, it would be 40 degrees, hit 795 34 degrees slide down the ramp on OMB and it was 33 degrees slide past MPT 29 degrees and 4 inches of snow at home.

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1356559765' post='1279548']
Hey CRP...hopefully you are in a place that you are safe and can stay there. DCEMA has issued Red Travel Status....emergency travel only until 10 am.

Is Rushville in Decatur County?
[/quote]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Nope... Rushville has it's own county. Rush County.[/font][/i]

[center][i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][img]http://www.cyberindiana.com/maps/rush_county.jpg[/img][/font][/i][/center]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I'm north of you. ;)[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]~ Cosmic[/font][/i]
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Our state even looks like a stocking. :P[/font][/i]

Cosmic, we used to drive over to Brown County, Indiana in the Fall to look at the leaves. I haven't been there in about 15 years, but it was always so pretty that time of year. :)

[quote name='Ragin'Raven' timestamp='1356566534' post='1279644']
Cosmic, we used to drive over to Brown County, Indiana in the Fall to look at the leaves. I haven't been there in about 15 years, but it was always so pretty that time of year. :)
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Little Nashville... yeah. Same here. I love that place. We used to rent a cabin there for the Fourth Of July holiday, but we haven't been able to get our normal cabin (named "Almost Heaven") for the last two summers.. so, we've put it off. Rent some horses, go swimming, hiking... and best of all.. no cell phones.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I wonder what it looks like right now with all the snow. *sighs*[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]You got me all nostalgic.[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356564951' post='1279621']
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Nope... Rushville has it's own county. Rush County.[/font][/i]

[center][i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][img]http://www.cyberindiana.com/maps/rush_county.jpg[/img][/font][/i][/center]

[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I'm north of you. ;)[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]~ Cosmic[/font][/i]
[i][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Our state even looks like a stocking. :P[/font][/i]
[/quote]

YOUR state. My deepest roots are elsewhere! :P :)

Well I would assume that if Decatur County put out a declaration, that Rush County did as well. Be warm and safe tonight!

my wife is from the Boston area. She laughs at this area when it "snows".

Her first winter here they had a school closing, she thought something had gone horribly wrong.
I explained to her it was because of the snow she looked at me like I had three heads.

They are pretty hard core up there in the Boston area.

[quote name='INRavensgirl' timestamp='1356572784' post='1279722']
YOUR state. My deepest roots are elsewhere! :P :)

Well I would assume that if Decatur County put out a declaration, that Rush County did as well. Be warm and safe tonight!
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]No clue if there is a warning or not, I don't watch regular TV. Netflix, Hulu and whatever else I can find for free on the computer. :P I'm a smegging cheapskate.[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356573413' post='1279734']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]No clue if there is a warning or not, I don't watch regular TV. Netflix, Hulu and whatever else I can find for free on the computer. :P I'm a smegging cheapskate.[/i][/font]

[/quote]

You know it's bad when the Pacers have to postpone one of their games!

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1356574885' post='1279760']
You know it's bad when the Pacers have to postpone one of their games!
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Seriously, it's not that bad. I was thinking of going out later just to do donuts in the Kroger parking lot with the kids. Ugh...[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]...Perhaps the downside of living here my whole life, it doesn't matter how high the snow gets, it's never high enough. I just hope the power stays on so I don't have to go outside and dig a makeshift cooler in the snow to hide all of our perishable foods like in 2010.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]And that hawk... keep that red tail away from me. I took our pug out to use the restroom in 2010.. the hawk came down and tried to take off with him. His wings hit the side of my hoodie... scared the smeg right out of me.[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1356575254' post='1279766']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Seriously, it's not that bad. I was thinking of going out later just to do donuts in the Kroger parking lot with the kids. Ugh...[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]...Perhaps the downside of living here my whole life, it doesn't matter how high the snow gets, it's never high enough. I just hope the power stays on so I don't have to go outside and dig a makeshift cooler in the snow to hide all of our perishable foods like in 2010.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]And that hawk... keep that red tail away from me. I took our pug out to use the restroom in 2010.. the hawk came down and tried to take off with him. His wings hit the side of my hoodie... scared the smeg right out of me.[/i][/font]

[/quote]

What's the worst you ever got, 5 ft?