Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Ed Reed Awaits NFL Action On Hit

79 posts in this topic

Ed Reed led with his shoulder on a penalized hit on Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ed-Reed-Awaits-NFL-Action-On-Hit/e868f45c-a521-49d1-a923-dc2e5124961f]View the full article[/url]

Just because its a big hit, doesn't mean it's illegal. Its a contact sport, people get hurt, they realize this, get over it. If you don't want to get hurt, play tennis, or is the national tennis association going to remove the ball incase someone gets hit by it? Perhaps virtual tennis will the the tennis of the future.

Clean hit, all the way. Dude is playing the game of football and gets yet another penalty for doing exactly what he's supposed to do. I applaud Ed for putting the smack down, and he should continue to do so. Maybe Cruz and others will think twice about catching the ball...like Dustin Keller...hehe

[quote name='Legendary Ravens' timestamp='1356369086' post='1277934']
Hitting will be a long lost art if they continue to make these calls
[/quote] And it's only going to get worse, my friend. They implement these calls and rules under the guise of "player protection", when it's really about "lawsuit protection."

It's like taking checking out of hockey. They're changing the core of the game, and not for the better.

I expected a penalty for his hit, because any receiver who gets hit that hard and doesn't get up right away is going to draw a flag, regardless of legality.

The penalty for Torrey Smith's block was atrocious. I could understand if it's on the other side of the field, but that block was key to springing the ball carrier forward.

A horrendous call in my opinion, and I expect Reed to get suspended for week 17 for his hit.

[Manure]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! quit picking on Ed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Goodell wants the players to wear lingerie and play lingerie football. Football is BECOMING A JOKE AND HARD TO WATCH ANYMORE.

this isn't flag football it was a legal hit. the refs made allot of "questionable" calls yesterday,Torry smith couldn't even reach that guy's head really,,,then the touchdown, the ed reed hit ...insanity .

Ed Reed should some give some advice to that Seahawks player who got flagged for playing good defense. Honestly, the rules have gotten so out of hand that the refs are eager to throw a flag for player safety even if it was a good clean hit. The game has gotten so fast, the refs can't keep up with the pace of the game and neither can the NFL.

If they end up fining him, I'm inclined to send in a few bucks to the NFL to help Ed out. I may end up storing them in my armpit a while first for a little added bonus to show what I think of that call.

I doubt if Reed gets suspended. He didnt lead with his helmet. I still think they should review it during the game. Something like that could and has won or lost games for some teams.

It was a legal hit. The good news is if he is suspended for one game, we already won the division and the last game doesn't mean much. Don't change the way you play the game ed. Love your hard hitting attitude.

Legendary Ravens, on 24 December 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:
Hitting will be a long lost art if they continue to make these calls
And it's only going to get worse, my friend. They implement these calls and rules under the guise of "player protection", when it's really about "lawsuit protection."

It's like taking checking out of hockey. They're changing the core of the game, and not for the better.

@metalraven,

And yet they(Goodell and Owners) are talking additional playoff games and teams.. and or adding a team in London

Total Hypocrisy

All about Law Suites

[quote name='johnmike72' timestamp='1356370599' post='1277970']
Soon the players wont even play football, they`ll play MADDEN on the JUMBO TRONS at the stadiums.
[/quote] LOL!!

Nah, probably the Nintendo Tecmo Bowl; because it's safer. Although the thumb blisters developed from those controls were horrible!! So they'll have to play with the "Power Glove." ;)

I think more than aything Ed keeps having problems because he is not tackling with good technique so it looks horrible. Simple said ... WRAP UP ... Stop lunging at the ball carrier!

I think the refs should be held accountable for their screw ups. They should have a point system. For every bad call, they get a point. Once they get to a certain # of points/bad calls during the season, they should be fined. If if they get to a higher number of points during the season they should get suspended.

[quote name='Sugar Ray Lewis' timestamp='1356371171' post='1277984']
I think the refs should be held accountable for their screw ups. They should have a point system. For every bad call, they get a point. Once they get to a certain # of points/bad calls during the season, they should be fined. If if they get to a higher number of points during the season they should get suspended.
[/quote] I agree. But unfortunately their union would fight tooth and nail, and we'd have another strike. But as bas as the refs have been, they can all get the hell out of here as far as I'm concerned.

Reed's hit was clean as was Torrey's block. Jones made a second move by extending the football into the endzone for the touchdown that they stole from us. I could have sworn that they got rid of the replacement refs, not so sure anymore.

Little know fact....
Officials are graded on every game. They are held accountable for every good call, bad call, and missed call. They are fined, suspended and do get fired.

As for Ed's hit...I watched it over and over and agree that he led with his shoulder. Maybe someone should talk to the WRs and remind them not to duck their heads.

Just what was Reed supposed to do? Stop and ask permission to touch the guy? This all getting ridiculous. It was his job to hit him and send a message to the receiver and try to jar the ball loose and thats all he did.

[quote name='KatLovesFootball' timestamp='1356372147' post='1278005']
Little know fact....
Officials are graded on every game. They are held accountable for every good call, bad call, and missed call. They are fined, suspended and do get fired.

As for Ed's hit...I watched it over and over and agree that he led with his shoulder. Maybe someone should talk to the WRs and remind them not to duck their heads.
[/quote] Not saying that you're not telling the truth; but do you have references for this? I'm interested to know more about this. You'd think the refs would do a better job if what you say is true.