Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] The Breakdown: Pinpointing The Difference Caldwell Makes

67 posts in this topic

Eisenberg’s 5 game thoughts, including: Flacco being mentally tougher than he appears.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/The-Breakdown-Pinpointing-The-Difference-Caldwell-Makes/86545ad5-70fa-4a65-b6c0-46fa2e9e6b6c]View the full article[/url]

They can say the 'tempo' was the difference all they want. They can say the plays were the same all they want. They weren't.

The plays were CLEARLY different. We ran different blocking patterns, we ran the OPTION on a play, we ran many, many slant routes instead of hooks and outs. These plays are obviously in the playbook, but Caldwell seems to have a nice grasp on what they players do well.

Although I cannot say I completely support Joe, he played one heck of a game and I am proud of all our players. Let's heal up and wait for Luck or Dalton to come to town.

The plays may have come out of the same playbook, but they certainly werent the same plays.

Boldin was running slants from the slot, Torrey was running routes other than just the 9 route, and Rice, Pitta, and Jacoby were used in other creative ways.

This was a great improvement, all thanks to Caldwell.

I feel as though firing Cam Cameron was one of the best decisions the Ravens have made thus far. (Aside from the Jacoby Jones acquisition)

Also, please put McKinnie as LT and sit Oher out! He had like 3 penalties called on him in 1 series..

Sometime our players are disciplined so good on how to respond to the media that they actually lie lol. Those plays were NOT AT ALL the same plays that Cameron would play. When in the last 3 years has Anquan ran most of his routes short/intermediate and not streaking deep every play? When all SEASON besides the NE game was Torrey used in a variety of routes? These recievers were actually being used to their strengths and not running deep every play.

Also Chris those penalties were bogus. The false start was bogus because the entire giants DEFENSE jumped offsides due to Flaccos hard count, but the refs must have assumed that Flacco could pull of a hard count that good and assumed that it HAD to be a false start. That chop block was also ticky tack.

For once every 3rd and 2 yards to go didn't turn into a race down the side line for some heave by Joe,the Ravens used the whole field in their short passing game,they also used Rice in pass plays down the field,taken him out of pass protection adding a TE in the backfield as extra protection/safety valve[when Rice is ask to pass protect that aids the defense because then they don't have to account for him. Joe extended plays with better movement in the pocket,though his receivers still have to work on their movements once he does so,but that is something that will come the more Joe learns his receivers. Also here's a comment,when Harbaugh is asked about his offensive line he always answers by saying he will play the best five,but he never gives any names,if he doesn't know from week to week who is his best five,just what is he looking for;consider this you have a contest for candidates to do a certain job you put them thru all these test,gather all these stats,then you tabulate all this data,checks the film,do background checks,the works,have them compete with others,then when it comes time to give the results,make your choice,the verdict is "Inconclusive',that's the situation with Harbaugh and his offensive line a contest,a search for something that has no definition; until Harbaugh makes up his mind what he is looking for he will never find it!

ps:the Ravens do not run the ball very well with Dickson as the extra TE,#86 is a better blocking TE,a small matter,I'm sure they'll work it out!

Dont forget Joe got the ball out allot quicker remember that first td i mean it looked like Joe was getting the ball out of his has very fast most of the time defiantly different then in the past few games. and yea plays where creative that pass to rice loved it and that Td to jacoby we know it was a td btw was great!

We used the middle of the field more. That was different. The officiating crew really stunk. That wasn't so different.

[quote name='tbird' timestamp='1356327535' post='1277473']
..... The officiating crew really stunk. That wasn't so different.
[/quote]
That is putting it nicely. I would have said, "The game looked like the NFL had the fix in for the Giants as phantom call after phantom call was called. I don't know if the NFL just wants the games close or they wanted another larger market team in the post-season.....

It sure looked and felt that way.

Hats off to a focused Ravens team that beat the NY Giants AND the NFL's referees.

A few take aways from the game

1. Oher is terrible. 3 penalties in a row. could have killed drives. Again why no McKinnie
2. I don't know if it was the play calling or Flacco but the ball got out of his hands quickly. Short passes got Flacco in rythym.
3. Play Calling helped Oline. Quick passes, rolling Joe out of pocket, up tempo, play action, balance with run game. Well done Caldwell. Hopefully will continue.
4. Defense attacked. Seemed like more blitzes even against the run. Defense looks better when attacking and Ellerbe makes a difference.
5. Dissappointed couldn't punch the ball in with goal to go situations but liked commitment to try to run it in instead of risking pass plays. The one time they tried to get cute, Flacco was sacked for a loss.

LOVED LOVED LOVED the offensive play calling by Jim today. He kept it continuos with the flow of the game especially after we were up big. He was always aware of down & distance & called plays to suite every INDIVIDUAL playmate we have on offense. GREAT job Jim, i'd rather the ship go down as is than with Cam on board.

[quote name='sami' timestamp='1356328311' post='1277482']
Flacco isnt exactly Mr. Excitement when it comes to interviews. lol
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]That he is not.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Needs to work on the mike skills a bit.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]~ Cosmic[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]"you know... I don't know..."[/i][/font]

If only Oher could be more patient or sit some plays, cause he might cause us a game really need. it did not hurt us this time but we better address that problem next week or our season could be over from penalties like that.

We beat a horrible team with no confidence it's a win but we need to keep this thing going Oher was bloody HORRIBLE! 3 penalties in a row??!?!?!?!? I think it is time for a new LT... Oher isn't Big he isn't strong he isn't athletic nothing stands out about him.... We need to get Jake long in the off-season if the dolphins don't franchise him. Lord knows we need a new Tackle... Osemele looked good he's a rookie he has potential.

[quote name='law215' timestamp='1356328211' post='1277480']
A few take aways from the game

1. Oher is terrible. 3 penalties in a row. could have killed drives. Again why no McKinnie
2. I don't know if it was the play calling or Flacco but the ball got out of his hands quickly. Short passes got Flacco in rythym.
3. Play Calling helped Oline. Quick passes, rolling Joe out of pocket, up tempo, play action, balance with run game. Well done Caldwell. Hopefully will continue.
4. Defense attacked. Seemed like more blitzes even against the run. Defense looks better when attacking and Ellerbe makes a difference.
5. Dissappointed couldn't punch the ball in with goal to go situations but liked commitment to try to run it in instead of risking pass plays. The one time they tried to get cute, Flacco was sacked for a loss.
[/quote]

Sorry Oher actually had a pretty good game and at least one of those penalties was totally wrong the defense was offside. Problem is you don't notice Oher trying to make up for something lacking on the inside block. McKinnie has done a lousy job most of the time he has been in this year and that is why he is on the bench.

Flacco getting rid of the ball was more the fact that we had both TEs even when the ball wasn't going to them them both being healthy opened up a lot more of the short passing game. The fact also that the long ball was a threat today made them cover Torrey Smith and Jones and keep the Safeties in more true safety positions covering the deep pass. All of these things combined with the quicker play call meant the short pass was open and open quicker because the defense didn't have time to adjust with the limited coverage they had for short plays,

Flacco being more mobile and having more dump off options than just Ray Rice helped the O line.

Defensively I think we have more players getting involved and shining in their play. Brendon Ayanbadejo, and at least two of the CBs Brown and Graham getting mixed in with blitzes. Making up for the missing Lardarius Webb. They don't have the full skills he has but they have added something missing since he has been gone.

Goal to go options I think were more aimed toward eating clock and getting any points while eating as much of the clock as possible. That was also why there were few pass plays, incomplete passes stop the clock.

Brendad Ayanbadejo looked awesome today...at his age to be playing defense pretty much for the first time in his career, he really stepped up and was a big factor...hopefully everybody gets healthy soon so we can make a run at the Lombardi

Do you all want a QB or a prima donna? Flacco is Flacco and that is the way he has always been. It DOES NOT mean he doesn't have passion for the game. Give him a break will ya. Good grief some fans are just too much. Go Ravens.

Definitely Ngata's tackle was a game changer. Too many times this season we've seen situations on defense where they give up a third down play while the opponents is still deep in their territory. Then things go downhill. Another 20 yd pass and we all know that part of the story. Ray's dodging and weaving was brilliant. Pierce's long train running was great but while it didn't matter in the outcome it was 1 yd short and we're reminded that the more things change the more they stay the same. Not to pour water on the burning desire they showed though. The defense was outstanding. Eli looked like Joe the pass few weeks. Head down. In shambles. Sure Cary gave up one or three but Brown made up for it. Ed made a shoulder tackle so Goodell can suck his puck. Names I don't know or rarely have seen "stepped up". I told my son in law they'd win big. I sorta believed they'd rally to the cause especially at home. Now I need a time machine to place that make believe bet. A win over a tougher Bengals will be good. If they face the Colts in the first game it won't be easy but the defense will have more passing plays to concentrate on leaving the line and backers to blitz. That could be a win too. After that it will depend largely on who shows up, and though the Gints sucked bad the Ravens showed up. Can't forget: so many gr8t catches and the lines were spectacular even if against a wilting team.