Photo

Flashes of Greatness

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Flashes of greatness (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Will our Ravens look this good from here on out?

1. Definitely, we're getting hot at the right time. (17 votes [21.79%])

Percentage of vote: 21.79%

2. I don't believe so, we're still inconsistent. (6 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. I still have minor doubts, but I think we can. (48 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

4. We beat a struggling team, I'm not convinced. (7 votes [8.97%])

Percentage of vote: 8.97%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

With almost a complete season under our teams' belt we've just about seen it all. We've had our games where we look like NO ONE can touch us (Bengals, Raiders, Giants). We've had our games where we flat out got lucky (Dallas, Steelers, Chargers) & we've had our games where we look like a non-playoff team (Houston, Kansas City, Denver).

We've seen flashes of greatness but we haven't been able to maintain that level of play throughout the entire season. I give our injury plagued defense a pass on this one, but our offense receives no empathy from me.

Do you guys believe that we can play this well for the rest of our season? Or will we continue this inconsistent play into the playoffs?

bleed P U R P L E!

#2 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Got a coin I could flip?
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#3 Ngata Chance

Ngata Chance

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Why not see how we look after the Cincy game?

We had a stinker under Caldwell, and now a good game. 1 game either way does not a season make.
"Flacco got a hug from owner Bisciotti after game.. Flacco told him: “that felt good.. That was big”

That seems like it was worded wrong...

#4 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

Why not see how we look after the Cincy game?

We had a stinker under Caldwell, and now a good game. 1 game either way does not a season make.

I see what you're saying with the Caldwell factor and that is very true. But well before the Caldwell move this season, our team has played highly inconsistent. It's been the theme of our 2012 season up to this point.

bleed P U R P L E!

#5 Ngata Chance

Ngata Chance

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

I see what you're saying with the Caldwell factor and that is very true. But well before the Caldwell move this season, our team has played highly inconsistent. It's been the theme of our 2012 season up to this point.

And now things have changed. Why make a judgement based on 2 games?
"Flacco got a hug from owner Bisciotti after game.. Flacco told him: “that felt good.. That was big”

#6 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,878 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

It could well be argued we have been equally inconsistent under Caldwell.

Half the games have been atrocious half have been fantastic.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#7 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

And now things have changed. Why make a judgement based on 2 games?

Lol my dude I'm not evaluating Caldwell. I'm evaluating the team as a whole!

bleed P U R P L E!

#8 Ngata Chance

Ngata Chance

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

Lol my dude I'm not evaluating Caldwell. I'm evaluating the team as a whole!

Ya I get that.

Your reply options are black and white. The answer is somewhat grey.

The answer you want is we are great, we are terrible, or I maybe but I doubt it. How can any sane person make that determination with the fluctuating conditions of our team?

#9 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

It will be hard to tell what to make of the Ravens going into the playoffs, as BAL will probably resign the game to rest all of their starters for a half, if not the entire game. It'll be interesting to see the backups in action in an actual game.

Honestly, I am surprised that you (Poe) got second. After the draft I thought your team was doomed for failure.

You get used to it. Even posts that don't violate the rules aren't safe.

Ray Guy to the NFL Hall of Fame

#10 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

It's too hard to tell after one game. They had three 'pride hurt' losses before that. Saying a team is dominant and a turn around after one really good performance is jumping the gun I think, but that's also why I think you don't rest the starters who can still play next Sunday. Rest those that are really banged up physically, sure, but you keep riding the train to the end. You don't get off and start walking a mile before your destination.

I'm a mama of three boys. Nothing scares or disgusts me anymore. 

#11 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,764 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

At this point I don't think it matters. As I said last week, each situation for each team is different. You can place teams in a box and say, they can win because of this or they will win because of this, or they're great or suck based off past performances.

Right now if the Texans go 1and Done in the playoffs, people will stay they lost their momentum with the game vs the Vikings. However if they go to the Super Bowl, people will say that loss was needed.

If the Broncos lost to the Pats in the Division round, people will say they peaked to soon.

If the Ravens win next week, win their home playoff and play a great game against a slightly overrated Texans team and win. People will say, the Ravens needed that 3 game losing streak because it humbled them. That's what i think by the way.

However if the Ravens lose at any point, people will say, this team has been lucky all year and their luck ran out.

There is no way of knowing how a team will play week to week, even when they are playing great. Who thought the Texans, Pats and 49ers would struggle yesterday? Who thought the Ravens would dominate every phase of the game?

You just don't know and that's what makes the NFL so exciting

Posted Image

#12 stan

stan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

We're doing well against lousy teams. Giants are not playing well. We beat them as we should have. Cincy will be a different team. Ravens will have to bring their A game next week. Don't let the Giants" game be a gauge.
We will beat the Bengals if we first take away A.J. Green then go from there. Pressure Dalton and make him go somewhere else besides Green. They have a one dimentional offense.

#13 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

We're doing well against lousy teams. Giants are not playing well. We beat them as we should have. Cincy will be a different team. Ravens will have to bring their A game next week. Don't let the Giants" game be a gauge.
We will beat the Bengals if we first take away A.J. Green then go from there. Pressure Dalton and make him go somewhere else besides Green. They have a one dimentional offense.

Dalton will go to AJ Green even if he is covered. It is his first and only read, outside of maybe those sissy screens that they ran a million times against us.

#14 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Definitely I couldn't agree more. I didn't want to be too pessimistic and say I know we beat a struggling team in front of our home crowd... but we played really well in the win against a team with a winning record, so in that case I'm a bit optimistic.

The Bengals game will be a different test which I'm a bit excited for. (on the road, against a division foe, against a somewhat hot team). Definitely, we must take away Green and generate the same pressure on Dalton as we did Eli, Dalton is still young and doesn't play well under pressure.

bleed P U R P L E!

#15 frozen joe flacco fan

frozen joe flacco fan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

We played very poorly in two losses --- Houston and Denver. In the other three losses, we simply beat ourselves. Inconsistent teams don't win 10 games in the NFL. A team that has the longest active playoff streak isn't inconsistent. If the Redskins make the playoffs, we will have lost to only two non-playoff teams --- the Eagles and Steelers. If Dallas wins their Division, we will have beaten 3 out of 5 of the 12 playoff teams plus the defending SB champs. From here on out, its about survival. One of the most important things we have in our favor is our playoff experience. Hopefully, it will pay off. If we continue to play like we did against the Giants, we should make it to the Super Bowl. If we do, it will be because one of the most consistent and elite QBs in the NFL lead us to the Promised Land.

#16 mdrsharon

mdrsharon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

For some reason - even the best NFL teams are inconsistant.
Houston, Atlanta, Green Bay all looked unbeatable and then had bad games.
Coming on strong is Denver, Manning has always managed to beat us - no matter what team.

Is this a coaching thing?
I think so.
Every sport is mental as well as physical - we have to have that winning mentality to "make things happen".

When Ray Lewis is fully back - we will have a different team.
Can't wait!
Go Ravens!!!

#17 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

Though we showed great signs of progression, I was still just a TAD bit dissapointed in our offense. We left a lot of points on the board against the Giants, Flacco could have had a career day in week 16, a lot of his throws to the endzone where about 2 or 3 inches off the mark, which could have been touchdowns. Those minute details are what separates the consistent from the inconsistent. Our offense kicked... something like 4 field goals, all of them where 30 yards or less. I'm glad that we got that close, but when we get that close we HAVE to score.

Here's to more improvement come week 16.

1Untitled_zps8afd95ac.pngbench_zps0a7ce32d.jpg

#18 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Based on the poll I have minor doubts, but I think we can.

I think we have played better than average in most of our games. Sure we want consistency, but it's the fool's gold of the entire NFL. There are some teams some people say are the models of consistency. One of those teams in the Steelers, and they missed the play-offs this year.

You ca't win all the time, so the only thing you can do is try to improve your team. Which I believe we have done. Let's get the job done in the play-offs, it's all that really matters.

Edited by Dudeman, 27 December 2012 - 01:56 AM.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#19 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

We played very poorly in two losses --- Houston and Denver. In the other three losses, we simply beat ourselves. Inconsistent teams don't win 10 games in the NFL. A team that has the longest active playoff streak isn't inconsistent. If the Redskins make the playoffs, we will have lost to only two non-playoff teams --- the Eagles and Steelers. If Dallas wins their Division, we will have beaten 3 out of 5 of the 12 playoff teams plus the defending SB champs. From here on out, its about survival. One of the most important things we have in our favor is our playoff experience. Hopefully, it will pay off. If we continue to play like we did against the Giants, we should make it to the Super Bowl. If we do, it will be because one of the most consistent and elite QBs in the NFL lead us to the Promised Land.

I know that the only thing that matters in this league is wins and losses. But unfortunately if that were REALLY the case then Tebow would be a starter this year.

What also matters is how well you play in the games. I love the Ravens and I'm VERY excited that we have yet another playoff berth. But we should have lost to the Cowboys and Chiefs. We didn't beat either one of them they beat themselves. And I LOVE the "fiddle diddle Ray Rice up the middle" but a fourth and 29 conversion... simply luck. Yes I am content that we are 10-5 b/c we've clinched our Division once again, but we could very EASILY be 7-8.

Yes I know every team has it's share of bad games but we've had a roller coaster ride for our level of play(up and down) this season.

bleed P U R P L E!

#20 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

It could well be argued we have been equally inconsistent under Caldwell.

Half the games have been atrocious half have been fantastic.

Way too short of a sample size. Cam well he got what he deserved .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users