Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TonyTone1192

Flashes of Greatness

Flashes of greatness   78 members have voted

1. 1. Will our Ravens look this good from here on out?

• Definitely, we're getting hot at the right time.
    • I don't believe so, we're still inconsistent.
    • I still have minor doubts, but I think we can.
    • We beat a struggling team, I'm not convinced.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 posts in this topic

With almost a complete season under our teams' belt we've just about seen it all. We've had our games where we look like NO ONE can touch us (Bengals, Raiders, Giants). We've had our games where we flat out got lucky (Dallas, Steelers, Chargers) & we've had our games where we look like a non-playoff team (Houston, Kansas City, Denver).

We've seen flashes of greatness but we haven't been able to maintain that level of play throughout the entire season. I give our injury plagued defense a pass on this one, but our offense receives no empathy from me.

Do you guys believe that we can play this well for the rest of our season? Or will we continue this inconsistent play into the playoffs?

Why not see how we look after the Cincy game?

We had a stinker under Caldwell, and now a good game. 1 game either way does not a season make.

[quote name='Ngata Chance' timestamp='1356321369' post='1277273']
Why not see how we look after the Cincy game?

We had a stinker under Caldwell, and now a good game. 1 game either way does not a season make.
[/quote]

I see what you're saying with the Caldwell factor and that is very true. But well before the Caldwell move this season, our team has played highly inconsistent. It's been the theme of our 2012 season up to this point.

[quote name='TonyTone1192' timestamp='1356322908' post='1277332']

I see what you're saying with the Caldwell factor and that is very true. But well before the Caldwell move this season, our team has played highly inconsistent. It's been the theme of our 2012 season up to this point.
[/quote]

And now things have changed. Why make a judgement based on 2 games?

It could well be argued we have been equally inconsistent under Caldwell.

Half the games have been atrocious half have been fantastic.

[quote name='Ngata Chance' timestamp='1356322973' post='1277336']
And now things have changed. Why make a judgement based on 2 games?
[/quote]

Lol my dude I'm not evaluating Caldwell. I'm evaluating the team as a whole!

[quote name='TonyTone1192' timestamp='1356323321' post='1277345']

Lol my dude I'm not evaluating Caldwell. I'm evaluating the team as a whole!
[/quote]

Ya I get that.

Your reply options are black and white. The answer is somewhat grey.

The answer you want is we are great, we are terrible, or I maybe but I doubt it. How can any sane person make that determination with the fluctuating conditions of our team?

It will be hard to tell what to make of the Ravens going into the playoffs, as BAL will probably resign the game to rest all of their starters for a half, if not the entire game. It'll be interesting to see the backups in action in an actual game.

It's too hard to tell after one game. They had three 'pride hurt' losses before that. Saying a team is dominant and a turn around after one really good performance is jumping the gun I think, but that's also why I think you don't rest the starters who can still play next Sunday. Rest those that are really banged up physically, sure, but you keep riding the train to the end. You don't get off and start walking a mile before your destination.

At this point I don't think it matters. As I said last week, each situation for each team is different. You can place teams in a box and say, they can win because of this or they will win because of this, or they're great or suck based off past performances.

Right now if the Texans go 1and Done in the playoffs, people will stay they lost their momentum with the game vs the Vikings. However if they go to the Super Bowl, people will say that loss was needed.

If the Broncos lost to the Pats in the Division round, people will say they peaked to soon.

If the Ravens win next week, win their home playoff and play a great game against a slightly overrated Texans team and win. People will say, the Ravens needed that 3 game losing streak because it humbled them. That's what i think by the way.

However if the Ravens lose at any point, people will say, this team has been lucky all year and their luck ran out.

There is no way of knowing how a team will play week to week, even when they are playing great. Who thought the Texans, Pats and 49ers would struggle yesterday? Who thought the Ravens would dominate every phase of the game?

You just don't know and that's what makes the NFL so exciting

We're doing well against lousy teams. Giants are not playing well. We beat them as we should have. Cincy will be a different team. Ravens will have to bring their A game next week. Don't let the Giants" game be a gauge.
We will beat the Bengals if we first take away A.J. Green then go from there. Pressure Dalton and make him go somewhere else besides Green. They have a one dimentional offense.

[quote name='stan' timestamp='1356375812' post='1278078']
We're doing well against lousy teams. Giants are not playing well. We beat them as we should have. Cincy will be a different team. Ravens will have to bring their A game next week. Don't let the Giants" game be a gauge.
We will beat the Bengals if we first take away A.J. Green then go from there. Pressure Dalton and make him go somewhere else besides Green. They have a one dimentional offense.
[/quote]Dalton will go to AJ Green even if he is covered. It is his first and only read, outside of maybe those sissy screens that they ran a million times against us.

[quote name='stan' timestamp='1356375812' post='1278078']
[/quote]

Definitely I couldn't agree more. I didn't want to be too pessimistic and say I know we beat a struggling team in front of our home crowd... but we played really well in the win against a team with a winning record, so in that case I'm a bit optimistic.

The Bengals game will be a different test which I'm a bit excited for. (on the road, against a division foe, against a somewhat hot team). Definitely, we must take away Green and generate the same pressure on Dalton as we did Eli, Dalton is still young and doesn't play well under pressure.

We played very poorly in two losses --- Houston and Denver. In the other three losses, we simply beat ourselves. Inconsistent teams don't win 10 games in the NFL. A team that has the longest active playoff streak isn't inconsistent. If the Redskins make the playoffs, we will have lost to only two non-playoff teams --- the Eagles and Steelers. If Dallas wins their Division, we will have beaten 3 out of 5 of the 12 playoff teams plus the defending SB champs. From here on out, its about survival. One of the most important things we have in our favor is our playoff experience. Hopefully, it will pay off. If we continue to play like we did against the Giants, we should make it to the Super Bowl. If we do, it will be because one of the most consistent and elite QBs in the NFL lead us to the Promised Land.

For some reason - even the best NFL teams are inconsistant.
Houston, Atlanta, Green Bay all looked unbeatable and then had bad games.
Coming on strong is Denver, Manning has always managed to beat us - no matter what team.

Is this a coaching thing?
I think so.
Every sport is mental as well as physical - we have to have that winning mentality to "make things happen".

When Ray Lewis is fully back - we will have a different team.
Can't wait!
Go Ravens!!!

Though we showed great signs of progression, I was still just a TAD bit dissapointed in our offense. We left a lot of points on the board against the Giants, Flacco could have had a career day in week 16, a lot of his throws to the endzone where about 2 or 3 inches off the mark, which could have been touchdowns. Those minute details are what separates the consistent from the inconsistent. Our offense kicked... something like 4 field goals, all of them where 30 yards or less. I'm glad that we got that close, but when we get that close we HAVE to score.

Here's to more improvement come week 16.

Based on the poll I have minor doubts, but I think we can.

I think we have played better than average in most of our games. Sure we want consistency, but it's the fool's gold of the entire NFL. There are some teams some people say are the models of consistency. One of those teams in the Steelers, and they missed the play-offs this year.

You ca't win all the time, so the only thing you can do is try to improve your team. Which I believe we have done. Let's get the job done in the play-offs, it's all that really matters.

[quote name='frozen joe flacco fan' timestamp='1356550250' post='1279416']
We played very poorly in two losses --- Houston and Denver. In the other three losses, we simply beat ourselves. Inconsistent teams don't win 10 games in the NFL. A team that has the longest active playoff streak isn't inconsistent. If the Redskins make the playoffs, we will have lost to only two non-playoff teams --- the Eagles and Steelers. If Dallas wins their Division, we will have beaten 3 out of 5 of the 12 playoff teams plus the defending SB champs. From here on out, its about survival. One of the most important things we have in our favor is our playoff experience. Hopefully, it will pay off. If we continue to play like we did against the Giants, we should make it to the Super Bowl. If we do, it will be because one of the most consistent and elite QBs in the NFL lead us to the Promised Land.
[/quote]

I know that the only thing that matters in this league is wins and losses. But unfortunately if that were REALLY the case then Tebow would be a starter this year.

What also matters is how well you play in the games. I love the Ravens and I'm VERY excited that we have yet another playoff berth. But we should have lost to the Cowboys and Chiefs. We didn't beat either one of them they beat themselves. And I LOVE the "fiddle diddle Ray Rice up the middle" but a fourth and 29 conversion... simply luck. Yes I am content that we are 10-5 b/c we've clinched our Division once again, but we could very EASILY be 7-8.

Yes I know every team has it's share of bad games but we've had a roller coaster ride for our level of play(up and down) this season.

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1356323189' post='1277340']
It could well be argued we have been equally inconsistent under Caldwell.

Half the games have been atrocious half have been fantastic.
[/quote]
Way too short of a sample size. Cam well he got what he deserved .

[quote name='jimmypowder' timestamp='1356563928' post='1279600']
Way too short of a sample size. .
[/quote]

Understood and agreed.
My comment was for those declaring clear cut victory.

Relaity is Cam did in fact have some good games. (meaning four quarters )
He had some mixed games, maybe a good quarter or two.
Some games ( more than not unfortunately ) just could not get any thing together.

I have Caldwell sitting fully at 50/50 right now. Four poor quarters, four outstanding quarters.
I think we should have a fair and reasonable snapshot with in two weeks.

[quote name='TonyTone1192' timestamp='1356560976' post='1279561']

I know that the only thing that matters in this league is wins and losses. But unfortunately if that were REALLY the case then Tebow would be a starter this year.

What also matters is how well you play in the games. I love the Ravens and I'm VERY excited that we have yet another playoff berth. But we should have lost to the Cowboys and Chiefs. We didn't beat either one of them they beat themselves. And I LOVE the "fiddle diddle Ray Rice up the middle" but a fourth and 29 conversion... simply luck. Yes I am content that we are 10-5 b/c we've clinched our Division once again, but we could very EASILY be 7-8.

Yes I know every team has it's share of bad games but we've had a roller coaster ride for our level of play(up and down) this season.
[/quote]

It is all about wins and loses..period. I know people like to use numbers and stats to say how well a team or player is performing, but that doesn't matter.

The Chargers were top 5 in offense and defense last year. However they didn't have enough wins to even qualify for the playoffs. In 2010, the Ravens were the only team to hold a lead in the 4th quarter of ever game. They played consistently well, however it meant nothing because they didn't play consistent in the most important game. The Divisional Playoff Game. You had a guy in Rice who didn't fumble all year, fumbled. Boldin and Housh pretty sure handed vets, dropped crucial passes. The usually stellar defense gives up a 3rd and 19, basically with the game on the line.

Point is how you win games don't matter much. Yes, everyone would love to see the Ravens go out and look good in a victory every week, but it doesn't happen. The Texans and Broncos each have 3 losses, you don't think there are games where they probably should have lost, but the other team just didn't make the play to win. Just like DAL with the missed FG.

Last year we can all say how lucky both the Giants and Pats were to make it to the Super Bowl. However the 9ers and Ravens didn't make the the plays in the end to win. People talked about how lucky those teams were for maybe a day or two, then they turned their focus to the Pats and Gaints playing in the SB, because that's who won.

People get way too caught up in numbers and style of play, when the results of the game is what matters most. Ben's Super Bowl numbers are ugly. But his team won, so he's a 2 time Super Bowl winner. Period. Brady has 5 Super Bowl appearances. His 3 wins came while playing with flawed, almost no name teams that had to find ways to win. His 2 losses, and other playoff failures came while playing with teams who seemed unbeatable. Why, because while the Pats were deemed the better team, the other team, found ways to be better for 60 mins and they won. Jmo

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1356565047' post='1279624']
Understood and agreed.
My comment was for those declaring clear cut victory.

Relaity is Cam did in fact have some good games. (meaning four quarters )
He had some mixed games, maybe a good quarter or two.
Some games ( more than not unfortunately ) just could not get any thing together.

[b]I have Caldwell sitting fully at 50/50 right now. Four poor quarters, four outstanding quarters.
I think we should have a fair and reasonable snapshot with in two weeks.[/b]
[/quote]

i wouldn't put the denver game on him. the oline was garbage and joe missed a lot of throws. i thought he called a pretty good game.

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1356565430' post='1279632']
It is all about wins and loses..period. I know people like to use numbers and stats to say how well a team or player is performing, but that doesn't matter.

The Chargers were top 5 in offense and defense last year. However they didn't have enough wins to even qualify for the playoffs. In 2010, the Ravens were the only team to hold a lead in the 4th quarter of ever game. They played consistently well, however it meant nothing because they didn't play consistent in the most important game. The Divisional Playoff Game. You had a guy in Rice who didn't fumble all year, fumbled. Boldin and Housh pretty sure handed vets, dropped crucial passes. The usually stellar defense gives up a 3rd and 19, basically with the game on the line.

Point is how you win games don't matter much. Yes, everyone would love to see the Ravens go out and look good in a victory every week, but it doesn't happen. The Texans and Broncos each have 3 losses, you don't think there are games where they probably should have lost, but the other team just didn't make the play to win. Just like DAL with the missed FG.

Last year we can all say how lucky both the Giants and Pats were to make it to the Super Bowl. However the 9ers and Ravens didn't make the the plays in the end to win. People talked about how lucky those teams were for maybe a day or two, then they turned their focus to the Pats and Gaints playing in the SB, because that's who won.

People get way too caught up in numbers and style of play, when the results of the game is what matters most. Ben's Super Bowl numbers are ugly. But his team won, so he's a 2 time Super Bowl winner. Period. Brady has 5 Super Bowl appearances. His 3 wins came while playing with flawed, almost no name teams that had to find ways to win. His 2 losses, and other playoff failures came while playing with teams who seemed unbeatable. Why, because while the Pats were deemed the better team, the other team, found ways to be better for 60 mins and they won. Jmo
[/quote]

Hey I'm not one to get caught up in stats but I do believe that game play is crucial. I understand that we won't go out and play top notch EVERY week, no team does, there will be a few bad games. But we have yet to put a streak of good looking wins together.

Hey you're right about the Giants and Pats of last season.. so we'll see.

[quote name='TonyTone1192' timestamp='1356569786' post='1279690']

Hey I'm not one to get caught up in stats but I do believe that game play is crucial. I understand that we won't go out and play top notch EVERY week, no team does, there will be a few bad games. But we have yet to put a streak of good looking wins together.

Hey you're right about the Giants and Pats of last season.. so we'll see.
[/quote]

You're right, but my point is it doesn't matter. All good looking performances do is instill confidence into the fan base and media to say, that team is Super Bowl bound. However if the Ravens play the same exact way they've played all year, but find a way to win the Super Bowl, the NFL won't discount it because the Ravens were unimpressive in winning.

If the Ravens put together great looking performances all season, what would that do, besides what you and I feel more confidence or have the media jump on the bandwagon, saying the Ravens are the team to beat? If that same team went into the playoff, played great, but lost on a 62 yard field goal in double OT, would it make you feel better about the loss because of a great performance? I don't think so. I think you'd be upset all the same because they didn't win the Super Bowl.

Right now there are a large group of people who can't get behind the Falcons, because they don't trust them in the playoffs. That has nothing to do with how ATL will perform. The Ravens could have 190 yards of total offense in the AFCCG, if they found a way to win it wouldn't matter.

[quote name='TonyTone1192' timestamp='1356560976' post='1279561']

[/quote]

So, your point is "Its not whether you win or lose; its how you play the game that counts?" That's a great thing to tell your daughter or son who are playing flag football. However, in the NFL, winning isn't everything; its the only thing. By your own standard of success, Tim Tebow is a winner because of how well he played last year. Whether he is a NFL caliber QB or not, he played well enough last year to win a playoff game so your post is confusing to me. I think he was treated very unfairly by the Broncos and the Jets. He deserved a chance with both teams to prove what he could do. When Mark Sanchez floundered, Rex Ryan should have handed the ball to Tim Tebow , not McElroy. If the Jets bought the rights to Tebow in order to push Sanchez, then that was the wrong reason to sign him. The Broncos treated Tebow the same way that the Ravens and Redskins treated Trent Dilfer and Mark Rypien, respectively, after both men led their teams to SB victories. I disagree with treating people that way. Its a helluva way to say Thank You!

I would agree with you that it is unfortunate that players are frequently judged by wins or losses but that's a microcosm of life. My final thought is this --- I don't think it speaks too well of John Elway that he wasn't able to help Tim Tebow by teaching him the proper mechanics of throwing a football. I must admit I'm biased because I've never thought much of Elway's character, dating back to the days he refused to play in Bmore after being drafted by the Colts.

[quote name='frozen joe flacco fan' timestamp='1356622063' post='1280047']
So, your point is "Its not whether you win or lose; its how you play the game that counts?" That's a great thing to tell your daughter or son who are playing flag football. However, in the NFL, winning isn't everything; its the only thing. By your own standard of success, Tim Tebow is a winner because of how well he played last year. Whether he is a NFL caliber QB or not, he played well enough last year to win a playoff game so your post is confusing to me. I think he was treated very unfairly by the Broncos and the Jets. He deserved a chance with both teams to prove what he could do. When Mark Sanchez floundered, Rex Ryan should have handed the ball to Tim Tebow , not McElroy. If the Jets bought the rights to Tebow in order to push Sanchez, then that was the wrong reason to sign him. The Broncos treated Tebow the same way that the Ravens and Redskins treated Trent Dilfer and Mark Rypien, respectively, after both men led their teams to SB victories. I disagree with treating people that way. Its a helluva way to say Thank You!

I would agree with you that it is unfortunate that players are frequently judged by wins or losses but that's a microcosm of life. My final thought is this --- I don't think it speaks too well of John Elway that he wasn't able to help Tim Tebow by teaching him the proper mechanics of throwing a football. I must admit I'm biased because I've never thought much of Elway's character, dating back to the days he refused to play in Bmore after being drafted by the Colts.
[/quote]

Once we enter the playoffs yes a win is a win.. You are correct there. But let's stick to NFL football and not anyone's personal life. These players get paid to play football, if and when I do have children they will be playing sports as a leisure activity. Two polar opposites.

But when we get into the playoffs that lackadaisical play won't cut it. We'll be playing against better opponents who are prepared to go to war i.e. (broncos game & texans game). One at home and one on the road, we looked like we weren't ready to play football in either of those games and it showed on the scoreboard.

I'm happy that we've won 10 games and that we're back in the tourney, yes, but I have not been pleased w/ our in ability to play well on a consistent basis. Reg. season doesn't matter anymore if we look lousy in a win in the post season I'll happily take it b/c we're one step closer to the lombardi trophy.

My only hope is that our boys come ready to play come time playoffs.

[quote name='TonyTone1192' timestamp='1356657571' post='1280579']

Once we enter the playoffs yes a win is a win.. You are correct there. But let's stick to NFL football and not anyone's personal life. These players get paid to play football, if and when I do have children they will be playing sports as a leisure activity. Two polar opposites.

But when we get into the playoffs that lackadaisical play won't cut it. We'll be playing against better opponents who are prepared to go to war i.e. (broncos game & texans game). One at home and one on the road, we looked like we weren't ready to play football in either of those games and it showed on the scoreboard.

I'm happy that we've won 10 games and that we're back in the tourney, yes, but I have not been pleased w/ our in ability to play well on a consistent basis. Reg. season doesn't matter anymore if we look lousy in a win in the post season I'll happily take it b/c we're one step closer to the lombardi trophy.

My only hope is that our boys come ready to play come time playoffs.
[/quote]

I think our guys are hungry and ready to go to war. Most of them were on the team last year and tasted the bitter agony of defeat in Foxboro. I think they are ready to finish the job they started last year and will experience the thrill of victory in the AFC Championship. I think they have played consistently well this year, given the injuries we have had to overcome and the psychological impact that is bound to have on a team. I'm more concerned that we enter the playoffs with no more injuries than we already have. Also, Ed Reed is correct. It is the Lamar Hunt Trophy we should be focused upon right now, not the Lombardi Trophy. We can't get the latter w/o the former. You are also correct. Once we get into the playoffs, what happened during the regular season doesn't matter. They must ratchet up the intensity to a new level. Enjoy the rest of the season and the playoffs!

Im not convinced yet, this team has been super inconsistent, and these last two games are just more of that. I hope we're actually getting hot and not just spiking up and down. For this game, we have to actually COVER AJ Green, not hope he runs into the wrong zone, cover him, double team if you have to. If we can do that then the only other offensive weapon they have is the law firm, and you lock him down by putting up offensive points, win the toss, opt to receive, make it a two possession game quickly, then cover green and harass Dalton for 60 minutes.

Basically We Are Who We Thought We Were. Because the Ravens have had a certain level of inconsistent goodness for a few years, but its usually called "winning ugly, grinding it out , etc "

It never fails every year it would seem for a game or 2 like maybe the offense won't sputter around and will score when the defense gives it a short field. Or the team my be on a winning streak and face a sub .500 team and totally play down to competition on a game that could create space in the wins column.

This season started off much differently because the offensive explosion in week 1, and the near explosions in a Philly game and other weeks solid. It looked like the offense would finally match the defense but the defense was giving up 400+ yards.

Basically if it ain't one thing it's another. Last year special teams errors and mishaps was a problem. This year they've been stellar.