Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Jim Caldwell / Offense Week 16 Thread

91 posts in this topic

Great game called by Caldwell. We saw the use of Torrey in multiple routes, we saw Anquan over the middle a lot, a lot of routes to the flats for Pitta, and a nice WR screen that got negated by a stupid Oher penalty. Also, we saw great use of the run game.

Questionable calls were the draw on 3rd and goal (that shouldn't even happened after the stupid call by the refs)and the PA pass on the last 3rd and goal. Other than those two, great game from Jim and the offense.

Show some love

Caldwell and Pees called great games. I am amazed at how we played tonight. I thought our offense was done and the defense could get no worse but i admit when i am wrong and i was so very wrong and apologize. Joe played like Joe should play, the defense played way above the level of their talent and Ngata came to life. What about #51 Brendon. He was everywhere. I wanted to hear Upshaws name called more and Krugers as well but hey, we showed up to defend our house and i am more then ecstatic about it. Great play on every level.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1356309281' post='1276560']
Best game I can remember
[/quote]
Agreed.... He keeps it up, we have no more problems at OC for awhile.... Now if we can hire Jim Zorn.....

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1356309468' post='1276582']
Agreed.... He keeps it up, we have no more problems at OC for awhile.... Now if we can hire Jim Zorn.....
[/quote]

Why Zorn friend, seems like Joe has found a groove and needed no hand holding. He was the QB we all knew he could be and finally it has shown through.

I think this will make it harder for opposing defenses to game plan for us because we will breaking those Cam tendencies. We have the ability to add a few new wrinkles that hasn't been seen just in time for the playoffs. We looked like a complete offense rather than that fight for every completion offense. Joe looked the most comfortable I've seen even with pressure in his face. Oline didn't have to hold as long. Jim's playcalling allowed him to make some easy completions to get into rhythm. Hope this continues!

[quote name='RavensMillz' timestamp='1356309609' post='1276594']
I think this will make it harder for opposing defenses to game plan for us because we will breaking those Cam tendencies. We have the ability to add a few new wrinkles that hasn't been seen just in time for the playoffs. We looked like a complete offense rather than that fight for every completion offense. Joe looked the most comfortable I've seen even with pressure in his face. Oline didn't have to hold as long. Jim's playcalling allowed him to make some easy completions to get into rhythm. Hope this continues!
[/quote]
There are enough posts on Caldwell / Offense. Merging this.

We needed that game. I think it's the best complete game we've played all year. I guess Caldwell just needed a week to settle in. And how bout Joe on that big play to Pitta?

Absolutely tremendous game called by Caldwell. Boldin finally got to work out of the slot, Torrey did more than just run under deep balls, and we saw a good bit of Pitta, Jacoby, and of course Rice and Pierce were rolling. Great, great game by Caldwell, and excellent execution on top of that.

That's how you play on offense! Saw a nice balance in and run and pass. It helped that they got up by a score or so, which allowed them to stay with the run.

I liked how we used our receivers. Shorter routes with YAC. I loved the play calling today. It was exciting.

I love the way he used Pitta and utilized Pierce and I also liked the tempo. It seemed like they spread the ball to everyone. Would have liked to have seen Vonta get a try on the one yard line.

I was impressed. Normally I can literally sit back and call or tell you about 70-80% of what the ravens are going to do next. I couldnt do that today. I didnt think he did so bad last week given the little time he had to put his offense in we just REALLY didnt execute last week.

What i was most impressed with was the fact Caldwell made the Giants defense the offense today. They couldn't key in on what the Ravens wanted to do because the offense styed fresh.

Caldwell showed so much confidence in his QB and offense today and it showed. 3rd and long usually results in a draw or a check down to Rice or Pitta. I always viewed this as give up calls by Cam. With Jim today it didn't matter, he forced the Giants to stop his offense instead of conceding a possession.

There was a certain confidence about the offense today and I think Caldwell had a lot to do with it. Even when Oher had like 3 penalties on one drive, Caldwell stayed aggressive, he didn't just go into a shell because they got behind the sticks.

He trusted his players to make plays and they did.

[quote name='baltravens' timestamp='1356314160' post='1276927']
The win makes the holiday that much sweeter. ...A Merry Christmas to all of the Flock!!!
[/quote]

that it does! that it does! Merry Christmas to all of my Flock brothers and sisters! we got the W tonight....we're the AFC North Champs AND the steelers (and their obnoxious fans) got bounced out of the playoffs altogether! how sweet it is! lol!

~Mili

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1356314419' post='1276950']

that it does! that it does! Merry Christmas to all of my Flock brothers and sisters! we got the W tonight....we're the AFC North Champs AND the steelers (and their obnoxious fans) got bounced out of the playoffs altogether! how sweet it is! lol!

~Mili
[/quote]

Yes siiiirr!

You as well, man!

Props! Good to see joe roll out and for us to have 2 hundred-yard rushers. This was the 2008 offense with a more experienced flacco. These plays were in the book since 2008 when cam was protecting a rookie....then cam tried to outsmart himself and was downhill since.

Flacco is made for rolling out and shotgun! Cam stopped the rolling out which was not only beneficial to flacco, but the offensive line as well!

Rice got his, the routes were diverse and most importantly, the players executed for the most part. Kudos to Caldwell. With that said, there were numerous games over the past five seasons where Cam looked good only to look completely out of touch with the game-flow at other times.

Caldwell been on opposite ends of the spectrum in the first two games. I'm looking forward to seeing Caldwell's mettle in tighter games

Finally a route combination/route tree that doesn't make it incredibly easy for guys to defend. That's why 3rd down was so drastically different today. Still need to go more no-huddle, but I understand why we didn't today.

Guys made plays today that they don't always make. Still a few points and 1st downs left on the field by drops or whatnot. The only lingering problem was the huge amount of offensive penalties that just so happen to negate 10+ yard plays.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1356315395' post='1277000']
Best play calling I've ever seen by a Raven OC. EVER!
[/quote]
Agreed!

I also want to bring up how well balanced the offense was today. Wasn't too pass heavy. Wasn't too run heavy. Perfect balance, in my opinion.

Are they any words to describe Ravens' offense today? I can't cuz I'm speechless that how's Caldwell calling his unpredictable plays and Joe has all his freedom to audible and make his decision. Caldwell fully utilized his players skill set; Boldin in slot, Torrey over the top, under route, comeback routes, and short routes, Pitta deep route, middle route, side routes, Jacoby in slot, over the top and comeback route, and Rice running, crossing route and deep route. I'm just shocked that how Caldwell calls his aggressive, unpredictable playcallings; I was like the rest of Ravens fans really didn't know what's the next plays Caldwell and Joe are going to call. Every plays and routes are coming from Cam's playbook, but he is horrible at playcallings. It shows Cam genius at designing the plays but horrible at calling them. I'm glad he's gone for good.....

Best part is we didnt get all conservative on a 14 point lead.
We played 60 minuets.

Well 58 minuets since taking a knee really isnt playing.

Point being. We never got conservative.

I cannot emphasize how important I think this is for Flacco: early, high % passes to get him going. When he get into a rhythm early, he is money. I didn't hear it talked about too much in here, but Cam was blind to this it seemed. If you go and watch the beginning of this game, the first few passes were high %. I can only hope that was intentional.

What I liked
The receivers used the entire route tree
The playcalling varied
The above took immense pressure off the o-line
Ray Rice got 25+ touches

What I didnt like
We pretty much solely threw at Webster (while this is good strategy, its situational and we won't be facing him every week)
The Giants pass rush flat didnt show up today. I didnt see any extraordinary blocks
Joe's deep ball placement still needs some work.

this was what i wanted all into 1 game. he gave joe easy throws to get him going, always considered Ray, and gave some really impressive wrinkles like the PA rollouts and more back shoulder throws. Also, he was aggressive even when penalties backed us up. Joe made some great throws, Wr's made some really nice catches, and the oline (outside the penalties) played a really solid game. Best game we've played in a long time. i'm hoping this wasn't one of those deals where the offense makes you encouraged by what you see, then the next week rolls around and its back to normal. i want this offense to stay.

I like that Caldwell actually decided to utilize the Ravens' backs! Bernard Pierce is on fire right now and Rice is starting to get back on his Crimson Knight groove. I look forward to seeing much more from Pierce and Leach, as well.

I hope BAL's offense becomes like DET, where there are several great backs who complement each other, fulfilling different roles, both on the ground and in the air. BAL has a better version of DET's tight end corps and a dynamic receiving corps- though not Megatron, obviously. Let's see if Caldwell can keep BAL''s ball rolling!

this is probably the only game this season where we had a almost 40 minutes of TOP. when u give your D that much time rest on the sideline thats great game.

BAL had 553 yards! Now that's what I called a high-powered offense! Hopefully, it's not a fluke and will continue into the playoffs, like the Giants did last year on their path to the Lombardi Trophy.

[quote name='Sizzlebshu' timestamp='1356323740' post='1277358']
What I liked
The receivers used the entire route tree
The playcalling varied
The above took immense pressure off the o-line
Ray Rice got 25+ touches

[b]What I didnt like
We pretty much solely threw at Webster (while this is good strategy, its situational and we won't be facing him every week)[/b]
The Giants pass rush flat didnt show up today. I didnt see any extraordinary blocks
Joe's deep ball placement still needs some work.
[/quote]Why didn't you like how we were taking advantage of bad CB?? We surely didn't play against Webster every week, but there are a lot of Webster kind of play out there. We have Webster on our team too like Cary or something....I like how Caldwell and Joe were taking advantage of the Giants' weaknesses...

[quote name='AsianRice' timestamp='1356325208' post='1277412']
Why didn't you like how we were taking advantage of bad CB?? We surely didn't play against Webster every week, but there are a lot of Webster kind of play out there. We have Webster on our team too like Cary or something....I like how Caldwell and Joe were taking advantage of the Giants' weaknesses...
[/quote]

exactly, i saw that as a positive. if caldwell goes with favorable matchups then i'm all for that !

[quote name='AsianRice' timestamp='1356325208' post='1277412']
Why didn't you like how we were taking advantage of bad CB?? We surely didn't play against Webster every week, but there are a lot of Webster kind of play out there. We have Webster on our team too like Cary or something....I like how Caldwell and Joe were taking advantage of the Giants' weaknesses...
[/quote]
Again I said it was good strategy but Webster was having a really terrible game where everything you threw at him was a completion. Teams with two passable corners (something Webster really isn't) that likely wont work and teams will make adjustments to prevent that by throwing a safety over there to take pressure off.

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1356309545' post='1276587']

Why Zorn friend, seems like Joe has found a groove and needed no hand holding. He was the QB we all knew he could be and finally it has shown through.
[/quote]

Ha ha haaaa! That's the funniest thing I have seen in a long long time. Oh dear sweet lord, bless you. I haven't laughed that hard in years.

[quote name='Sizzlebshu' timestamp='1356325621' post='1277429']
Again I said it was good strategy but Webster was having a really terrible game where everything you threw at him was a completion. Teams with two passable corners (something Webster really isn't) that likely wont work and teams will make adjustments to prevent that by throwing a safety over there to take pressure off.
[/quote]
The point is if 80% of your completion going to an X corner, you should attack that corner like he just robs your paychecks....Even a good CB has a bad day, so if Joe and Caldwell adjust in game to which they should attack, I'll be ecstatic like a little 10 year old kid who is allowed to play video game all night....Even they put a safety over the top of a weak CB, they'll be exposed to other position like in middle, one on one for Torrey, Pitta, Rice, Pierce, Jacoby.......adjustment is the key....

Ravens offense ran 81 total plays! 45 rush and 36 pass. The game was a bit run heavy since we were ahead, to start the game the calls were very balanced.

Flacco was under center for most of the game with a few shotgun plays mixed in the only time the shotgun was utilized more than under center was the end of the second half with 4 minutes to go, 4 out of 7 plays on the scoring drive were from shotgun.

Caldwell understands the type of Quarterback Joe is, and plays to his strengths. Joe is a great intermediate passer, his stats in these situations are as good a Tom Brady.

[quote name='rlh445' timestamp='1356323465' post='1277350']
No, no....Flacco sucks and we shouldn't pay him at all, right?
[/quote]

Sweet.

I knew Caldwell would be good money; never mind Norv Turner! That's what happens when you're around Peyton Manning for so long. Pierce is a real hidden gem. I hope Caldwell makes him a regular feature in the backfield, like the Joique Bell to DET's Mikel Leshoure.

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1356309545' post='1276587']

[/quote]
Flacco didn't make nearly as many mistakes with Zorn at the helm....

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1356314419' post='1276950']

~Mili
[/quote]And to all a good night

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1356330039' post='1277522']
Flacco didn't make nearly as many mistakes with Zorn at the helm....
[/quote]
He also improved each year with Zorn at the helm. I would love to get him back as either OC or QB coach.

Any real shot at either?

I think it's worth acknowledging that the whole offensive line played GREAT yesterday vs the Giants. But K.O. really stood out to me. He did fantastic vs JPP. Especially in pass protection.

Leach was his usual beastly self. What he does is amazing, and I feel alot of people miss it, or don't pay attention to it. Play after play he blows up defenders and makes way for Ray. The man is a one of a kind.

Big Mac looked really good when we used him on the goal line.

Flacco looked extremely comfortable and relaxed. I don't know if I ever seen him so poised.

Also, someone who no one is really talking about is Ray Rice & Benard Pierce. Rice had 158 total yards today, and it seemed like it was only the Joe show!

Oh, and another couple things! When Dickson caught that ball (which I believe was called back) didn't he look abnormally fast? I don't know if it's just me or not. Also Torrey & Boldin did work today! They were used properly and I think they really shined for us vs them.

I think this season disproved the theory of the QB that can carry a team on his own. Rodgers made a remark about the running game being unimportant last season ("it's a passing league now") and then paid the price when his Packers got off to a rocky start (because unlike last season he actually had to throw against a couple good pass defenses O.O ), the Saints tried to fix the loss of Sean Payton with even more passing and then had to get the running game into the mix to save the season, heck, even the Pats run the ball nowadays.

The people, who criticize Flacco, because [i]"he can't do it on his own"[/i] are somewhat delusional to what other QBs are capable of in this league and just think that "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence". Not to say Flacco is as good as Brees, Brady or Rodgers (right now ;) ), but they are not those self reliant superstars everyone hypes them to be either.

If you take the final quarter of the last game out of consideration (when we started playing save because we were so far ahead), we didn't run more then we passed or passed more then we ran, it was fairly evenly divided between Joe vs Ray/Bernard.
Just running or just passing just doesn't work. We had plenty of games, where Joe had to save our offense because the RBs couldn't get it done, just as much as we had games where running the ball was the crucial element for the victory.

As long as we strike a good balance and don't demand Rice or Flacco to win games for us on their own, which is an unrealistic notion spread by ridiculous sports analysts, who fall in love with "their" QB, we will be as good as any offense in the NFL. The problem never was that Flacco can't play at an "elite" level (whatever that means) or that Rice "started the season slow" (can't believe people actually complained about that), but the fact, that the Ravens still haven't figured out "what kind of offense" they are, which explains temporal flashes of greatness followed up by total disappointment. Hopefully Caldwell becoming the OC marks an end to that saga. -_-