Photo

POLL: Most underutilized WR?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: POLL: Most underutilized WR? (116 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is the most underused WR on the Ravens?

1. Torrey Smith (24 votes [16.22%])

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

2. Voted Anquan Boldin (10 votes [6.76%])

Percentage of vote: 6.76%

3. Tandon Doss (34 votes [22.97%])

Percentage of vote: 22.97%

4. Jacoby Jones (35 votes [23.65%])

Percentage of vote: 23.65%

5. David Reed (6 votes [4.05%])

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

6. La'Quan Williams (17 votes [11.49%])

Percentage of vote: 11.49%

7. Voted Deonte Thompson (22 votes [14.86%])

Percentage of vote: 14.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The Prestige

The Prestige

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

The biggest flaw of the offense is the way the Ravens like to use just 1 - or at most, with Jacoby Jones - 2 speed threats on the field at once, running only a portion of the route tree.

If they want defenses to stop condensing, they need to start using WR's more like every other team in the NFL does.

I'm a little biased here because I liked Reed in college and I like his shiftiness out of breaks. I voted for Doss, him, and Thompson. I just wonder if maybe speed doesn't show up in practice the way it does in full pads in a game.

I am not saying Boldin, Leach and Pitta have to be off the field on EVERY passing down, but I think running clear-outs and rub routes would benefit this team. I've seen Ron Jaworski talk about it.

What formations, personnel and routes do you think would most maximize the other wide receivers?

Do you think the O-line is more to blame, and that a team should be able to consistently throw out of a set featuring RB-FB-TE-Boldin?

It's a shame, too, because Boldin and Smith were both on track for 1000 yards this season.

Come on, coaches. LET JOE LOOSE!

#2 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

It s easily Deonte Thompson.This guy showed how big of a threat and good of a route runner he was in the preseason yet we still wont let him touch the field as a wr.Matter of fact,I dont think hes touched the field period since that time he fumbled a kick return against the chiefs.The thing that makes gbs wr corp so much better than the rest of the leagues is they actually use EVERY wr they activate as a wr.And they make sure EVERY one of them gets a touch.Cobb,Jones and Nelson didnt start out as beastly wrs.They gave them a REAL amount of snaps in 4 and 5 wide sets and developed them into beast over a period of years.I wish we would start being more like them...

Edited by HomeoftheBRAVENS, 23 December 2012 - 07:01 AM.

#3 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

The biggest flaw of the offense is the way the Ravens like to use just 1 - or at most, with Jacoby Jones - 2 speed threats on the field at once, running only a portion of the route tree.

If they want defenses to stop condensing, they need to start using WR's more like every other team in the NFL does.

I'm a little biased here because I liked Reed in college and I like his shiftiness out of breaks. I voted for Doss, him, and Thompson. I just wonder if maybe speed doesn't show up in practice the way it does in full pads in a game.

I am not saying Boldin, Leach and Pitta have to be off the field on EVERY passing down, but I think running clear-outs and rub routes would benefit this team. I've seen Ron Jaworski talk about it.

What formations, personnel and routes do you think would most maximize the other wide receivers?

Do you think the O-line is more to blame, and that a team should be able to consistently throw out of a set featuring RB-FB-TE-Boldin?

It's a shame, too, because Boldin and Smith were both on track for 1000 yards this season.

Come on, coaches. LET JOE LOOSE!

Despite the terrible performance, the offense did run a lot of the routes needed to take advantage of the talent on offense. Tandon Doss had a couple of catches over the middle after clear out routes. Torrey had a couple crosses, Pitta got down the seam, which probably would've been Dickson if healthy. Even though he only had 2 catches, D. Reed was used nicely in the second half.

I liked the way Caldwell called the offense, I thought the players didn't do a great job of executing.

As for the WR not being fully used, I'd say Torrey Smith. Just because a guy is fast doesn't mean the 9 route is his best route. Much like the Lions did with CJ last night, you gotta find a way to get the ball into Torrey's hands at all levels of the defense. No i'm not saying Torrey is CJ, but if a OC has to get "creative" in finding a way to get a beast like CJ open, then there is no reason why you shouldn't be creative in getting Torrey the ball.

@HomeoftheBrave, I agree man. It's no longer a I-formation league and the Ravens have to change with the times. The offense isn't broken, it just needs to be tweaked a bit. Guys like Doss, Reed, LQW need to be used, even if you're only giving them a opportunity to get the ball in their hands once a game.

Jones and Dickson need to be used more as well. WRs and TEs aren't like QBs and RBs, meaning that don't really need to get into a rhythm to be effective. Boldin, Pitta and even Smith don't HAVE TO BE, on the field at all times. Yea when you need a play, you want your best guys, but getting other guys involved is important to. It makes the defense think more then they'd like. This offense is so predictable and basic as the Texans defenders said, because they don't make a defense think or guess, there are no tendency breakers, because you use the same guys to run the same routes in every game.

mj5v69.jpg

#4 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,305 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

The problem with the speed route long passes is Joe has. 05 seconds to get the ball out of his hand before his swiss cheese of a line lets someone steam roll him.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#5 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

Considering the amount of snaps he's played, it's Torrey.

He's still learning the game but for him to go six games this year with 2 catches or less is just a crime. He lead the league in depth of target last year and I wouldn't be surprised if he was among the leaders again this season.

Stretching defenses is great but the plays are often inefficient. You see other teams make it a point of getting their most talented WRs involved through shorter routes, even when the opposing team is trying to take them away. Under Cam, that rarely happened. I wasn't able to catch last week's game but hopefully, Caldwell is different.
"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#6 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Is Torrey Smith going to be returning today following his concussion?
<p><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);"><span style="font-size:24px;">Banned</span></span>.</p>

#7 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,183 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Is Torrey Smith going to be returning today following his concussion?

From what I've read/heard, yes.
Posted Image

#8 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Considering the amount of snaps he's played, it's Torrey.

He's still learning the game but for him to go six games this year with 2 catches or less is just a crime. He lead the league in depth of target last year and I wouldn't be surprised if he was among the leaders again this season.

Stretching defenses is great but the plays are often inefficient. You see other teams make it a point of getting their most talented WRs involved through shorter routes, even when the opposing team is trying to take them away. Under Cam, that rarely happened. I wasn't able to catch last week's game but hopefully, Caldwell is different.

Caldwell did do a job of trying to get the ball to Torrey on shorter routes. Problem was, much like K-Dog said, the oline got beat early and Joe struggled with his accuracy, which lead to some 3&outs. Hard to get things moving and into a rhythm standing on the sidelines.

The offense from what I saw was much different, however because of poor execution, it was hard to tell.

mj5v69.jpg

#9 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:55 AM

Definitely want to see if Deonte Thompson is capable of making big plays. The receiving corps has little to lose at this point in the season.
<p><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);"><span style="font-size:24px;">Banned</span></span>.</p>

#10 jazz1988

jazz1988

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

I want to see Reed and Williams get more time on offense

Edited by jazz1988, 23 December 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#11 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Definitely want to see if Deonte Thompson is capable of making big plays. The receiving corps has little to lose at this point in the season.

We have the division to lose. I'd love to try Thompson in the mix. He has speed and the ability to run after the catch. Boldin is slowing down but has sure hands. We need to use him on those Mason comeback routes more often. If Smith can't play, then we will see more variety in the receiving corps.

Super Bowl Champions 01/28/01 and 02/03/13!

#12 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Well this is a very good week to get another receiver involved as i would keep Torrey out this week to clear any cob webs and other ill effects he may have lingering. I think Jacoby will get a lot more time in the offense this week and i have no issue with that but let's start using Doss more. The kid is fearless and wants so bad to play.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#13 RavensMillz

RavensMillz

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

I would like to see more of Doss. He has been efficient in limited action. Is he ok to play today? I actually liked what I saw from Reed as well. He had that burst off the the line. His routes were sharp. And for Thompson it's a shame that he can't even get on the field for one play. Hell we even lined Tyrod up as a receiver once or twice but Deonte can't see any action. I think our offense is predictable like someone said because we don't try to incorporate everyone. Just the same 3 guys and a TE. Joe needs more receiving options to throw to and give defenders a reason to drop into coverage rather than bullrush the oline. This may change with Caldwell. Players have to excute though

#14 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,340 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Torrey and Jacoby for me. We've taken plenty of shots to Torrey but only connected on a few, almost the opposite for Jacoby - who will be lucky to see 3 targets in a game. Both have speed and talent.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#15 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

Torrey by far, seems like we don't know how to use him.... Give him the ball on quick slants!

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#16 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Torrey smith and it isn't even close. Hopefully our next OC will learn how to utilize Torrey against every different form of coverage.

#17 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,864 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Has LaQuan even been on the field this season? I just honestly have not seen him and I was really optimistic about this guy before the season started.

#18 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,183 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

I would say all the above (starters at least).

Boldin doesn't work the middle as much as he should
Torrey NEVER catches the ball short and turns up field due to scheme
Jacoby rarely even gets looks
Posted Image

#19 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

"let joe loose"

Sad to say but I disagree with that statement. I'm not saying Joe has been our problem but he sure hasn't helped stop the bleeding. I know our ENTIRE offense has been lackadaisical so far but Joe has been very inaccurate lately. We need more balance on the offense. Start using our BEST offensive weapon more, Mr. Rice. As much as I would like for our team to be an aerial attack we aren't there just yet. Until we get there we need to make sure we don't forget about number 27.

BTW I voted for Williams I believe that he made a positive impact on our offense last year making some key grabs and we've only seen him on special teams thus far...

bleed P U R P L E!

#20 HomeoftheBRAVENS

HomeoftheBRAVENS

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

We have the division to lose. I'd love to try Thompson in the mix. He has speed and the ability to run after the catch. Boldin is slowing down but has sure hands. We need to use him on those Mason comeback routes more often. If Smith can't play, then we will see more variety in the receiving corps.

Boldin doesnt have nifty enough feet to run that route the way Mason did.Mason may not have been fast but he had some of the quickest footwork in the game.

Edited by HomeoftheBRAVENS, 23 December 2012 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users