Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhstandard

Ravens vs Giants Super Bowl XXXV

21 posts in this topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch6CLuRpUno

I love watching this game. Not too much to be seen offensively but the Ravens Defense was just amazing. Every single position has more than one star player. Run defense was unstoppable.

Goosebumps rewatching this; 2000 defense are loaded up with stars and HOF. If our today team are 100% healthy, I think we can be 2000 defense.

I miss those old days, but we can't live from the past......

[quote name='AsianRice' timestamp='1356155108' post='1273193']
Goosebumps rewatching this; 2000 defense are loaded up with stars and HOF. If our today team are 100% healthy, I think we can be 2000 defense.

[/quote]

Components. Ray Lewis was way better back then. Our corners besides Webb are nowhere near as good and neither is the interior of the D-Line. Goose and Sam Adam were monsters.

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1356148768' post='1273130']
Run defense was unstoppable.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure we gave up less than 1000 rushing yards in the entire season.

[quote name='AsianRice' timestamp='1356155108' post='1273193']If our today team are 100% healthy, I think we can be 2000 defense.[/quote]

Individually? Possibly; but, right off the bat, 2000 [b]Ray Lewis[/b] would "destroy" today's version. As for the other linebackers, well, in 2000, Baltimore ran a 4-3; oh, and the trio of [b]Peter Boulware[/b], Lewis and [b]Jamie Sharper[/b] is considered to be one of the best linebacker cores in NFL history. Although, despite what Boulware brought to the table, [b]Terrell Suggs[/b] is better at going after the quarterback. But, other than that, 2000 Lewis could do [i]everything [/i]that he and [b]Jameel McClain [/b]or [b]Dannell Ellerbe[/b] currently do. Sharper and [b]Paul Kruger [/b]isn't even a comparison.

On the defensive line, once again, the 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense dominates this year's group. Part of the problem, for the 2012 Ravens (when comparing to the 2000 defense), is that [b]Haloti Ngata[/b] plays defensive end in the 3-4. If his surrounding line was more consistent or the Ravens ran a 4-3, Ngata would be a force as a defensive tackle/nose tackle, all-the-time. Individual, though, I would take Ngata over either [b]Sam Adams[/b] or [b]Tony Siragusa[/b]. But, damn; those two clogged the middle back in 2000. [b]Ma'ake Kemoeatu[/b] shouldn't even be mentioned with the prestigious 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense. Oh, and getting back to the ends; well, since Ngata is currently one, and the other is either [b]Pernell McPhee[/b] or [b]Arthur Jones[/b], the combo of [b]Rob Burnett[/b]/[b]Michael McCrary[/b] [i]actually[/i] attacked the offensive line with ease and went made it to the quarterback. So, once again, no question who's better here.

Finally, for the downbacks... well, I think this one is down the middle. For the safeties, I would take the hard hitting [b]Bernard Pollard[/b] over [b]Kim Herring[/b], who's the forgotten player on that defense, at strong safety. Meanwhile, the comparing [b]Ed Reed [/b]and [b]Rod Woodson[/b] is easy and hard, at the same time. Both are/were nearing the end of their careers; as well, both have had [i]way [/i]better years, in the past. Either way, I think Reed in this toss-up. But, for the corners? No question, [b]Chris McAlister[/b]/[b]Duane Starks[/b] destroys the combo of [b]Lardarius Webb[/b] and... well, "hit-or-miss" [b]Cary Williams[/b], sadly. See, I still think Webb will be "more talented", in the long run, than BOTH McAlister and Starks, but, back in 2000, nobody passed on them; that's the truth!

Looking back, what worked so well for that defensive squad was them playing as a unit. [b]Marvin Lewis[/b] knew how to use each, and every one of them to their fullest. He drew-up the perfect schemes for that defense. Basically, his philosophy was top-notch. And, obviously, [b]Dean Pees[/b] has struggled adapting to the current defense. But, it's not directly his fault; he likes to have a more-conservative defense, unlike what the Baltimore Ravens have been used, like in 2000, when Lewis had his unit playing aggressively.

Overall, I get chills watching Super Bowl XXXV. I (vaguely) remember watching that game, as a kid, seeing how I got into football at the time; although, I [i]do [/i]remember watching that game. But, I didn't have a favorite team, back when the Ravens won the Super Bowl; so, that is why I'm still waiting for Baltimore to host the Lombardi Trophy, once again. However, this is so nostalgic, for me. It's basically the end of a football era; the end of an era where defenses could just dominate. Also, that CBS presentation/package is so classy. Oh, and I'm reminded how much better Phil Simms was when he was paired with Greg Gumbel, who's definitely underrated as the play-by-play man...

Correct me if I am wrong but the Giants one and only score that game was on special teams.

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1356183462' post='1273291']
Correct me if I am wrong but the Giants one and only score that game was on special teams.
[/quote]

Yup...followed by a JLew TD of his own and the point to the sky for his kid! Awesome moment!

[/quote]your absolutely crazy. That defense is easily top three of all time. This one, every one fit doesn't even come top 3 this season

So I happened to just skip forward to a random time in the video...

Stopped at 31:50...
A dilfer beauty sailing right out of bounds when sehorn fell on his butt and left Johnson open by 20 yards

And yet they want flacco's head haha

[/quote]
Na that defense was better at literally every position with the exception of Ngata and sizzle( if they were healthy.).
Webb's about the only other one who would even see significant time in that defense

Of course reed would fit in there but hard judging that by his level of play right now

while i absolutely love this game (i have the entire DVD set myself...lol) and the Ravens have had some good defenses since then....i NEVER try to compare any other Ravens defense to that 2000 Ravens defense. smh! lol! they were a special bunch! it is safe to say that they caught lightning in a bottle with that core of players. and their defensive mentality was unmatched by any other. back then...their thing was...."if the offense can get us a 10 point (or less) lead...the game is over!" wow! i miss those days.

~Mili

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1356187021' post='1273316']
Yup...followed by a JLew TD of his own and the point to the sky for his kid! Awesome moment!
[/quote]

JLew has been a sad story since then. He was arrested earlier this year driving a car with the wrong plates on it. He like a few of the guys on that team are having hardships and i find that just sad.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1356190293' post='1273347']
your absolutely crazy. That defense is easily top three of all time. This one, every one fit doesn't even come top 3 this season
[/quote]
I forgot Ray and Ed are aging........

[quote name='AsianRice' timestamp='1356191977' post='1273400']

I forgot Ray and Ed are aging........
[/quote]probably the biggest factor, but as someone else pointed out, every position group as a whole back then was far superior. Pity our best rest of defense were wasted with no offense apart from that one year

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1356190346' post='1273349']

A dilfer beauty sailing right out of bounds when sehorn fell on his butt and left Johnson open by 20 yards

And yet they want flacco's head haha.
[/quote]

He was cut after that game.....

[quote name='PurpleCityLights' timestamp='1356192358' post='1273409']

He was cut after that game.....
[/quote]
Filthy lies

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1356192228' post='1273404']
probably the biggest factor, but as someone else pointed out, every position group as a whole back then was far superior. Pity our best rest of defense were wasted with no offense apart from that one year
[/quote]We never have a good OC who can help our offense with better scheme, playcallings, and drafting inputs. I hope we will find a stable and good OC. I think that's part of the reason Ravens offense is horrible historically.... All of our DC are going for their HC job except OC....

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1356190346' post='1273349']

And yet they want flacco's head haha
[/quote]

No one said Dilfer was better, both are inaccurate

[quote name='Alexir' timestamp='1356193639' post='1273440']

No one said Dilfer was better, both are inaccurate
[/quote]

Wasn't that the last game he played for us?

[quote name='PurpleCityLights' timestamp='1356194120' post='1273449']

Wasn't that the last game he played for us?
[/quote]

Think he only played in like 11 games with us and we cut him after Super Bowl. Not saying he was great, but one of the strangest moves the front office has done.