Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nextgen_RavensFan

What is your Worse case for our Cap next season

52 posts in this topic

I think the money we pay Joe will define a lot of what we do at the end of the season and how our could look could change a bit more then most expect. This is just my understanding and if i am wrong please let me know as i have real trouble understanding it all.

If Joe gets something between 12 and 15 million per year that will force us to make hard decisions on if Reed, R. Lewis, Anquan Boldin all stay or go ? Or is it as simple as restructuring their contracts ? Because i "think" if we franchise Joe he will get around 17 million ?

I know most teams only have but so many stars on a team and we have been very fortunate to have as many quality players that we do. In your best educated guess what would be the very worst case scenario you see as a possibility for our team.

This is a huge deal to me and want to hear from others and hope i am very wrong because numbers never have been a favorite for me.

I do not intend for this to be a bash Joe topic nor am i gonna debate his value as in reality who am i to gauge anyones talent ?

Ray and Reed are going to be let go or forced into retirement. I could see Ray restructuring, but not Reed.
Boldin... I want to keep him but we may not be able to when we sign Joe. Boldin may also be willing to restructure, though.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1356023420' post='1271711']
Ray and Reed are going to be let go or forced into retirement. I could see Ray restructuring, but not Reed.
Boldin... I want to keep him but we may not be able to when we sign Joe. Boldin may also be willing to restructure, though.
[/quote]

I was thinking that they make Jacoby take a bigger role if they lose Boldin but i always get just a bit tense when he is back there handling returns because of his past but i have to admit up until last game he has been a blessing. So it all does hinge on how much Flacco gets ?
I know i feel bad for Reed, i wish we could get him a ring this season but a lot of great players never got one i guess.

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1356023917' post='1271721']
I was thinking that they make Jacoby take a bigger role if they lose Boldin but i always get just a bit tense when he is back there handling returns because of his past but i have to admit up until last game he has been a blessing. So it all does hinge on how much Flacco gets ?
I know i feel bad for Reed, i wish we could get him a ring this season but a lot of great players never got one i guess.
[/quote]

If Reed wants a ring badly enough, he'll restructure.

If we lose Boldin, I want Doss to get a bigger role. He was one of few bright spots against Denver. Can't believe nobody really talked about him this week, but damn. He's gonna be a baller when Boldin's gone.

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1356023917' post='1271721']

[/quote]

If Reed wanted a ring so bad, he would show it on the field in his tackling and effort

I don't see him back

[quote name='Alexir' timestamp='1356024117' post='1271725']
If Reed wanted a ring so bad, he would show it on the field in his tackling and effort

I don't see him back
[/quote]

I think Reed is going to end up in New England, as much as it pains me to say it.

I think Ray retires. Reed retires or moves on. Boldin is most likely gone unless he takes a big pay cut. Birk likely retires. Mckinnie, Williams, Kemo, Considine all gone. Cody and Oher will likely be trade bait. The Ravens need to get younger and get better at a few key spots.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1356024163' post='1271728']

I think Reed is going to end up in New England, as much as it pains me to say it.
[/quote]

Oh most certainly, BB will scoop him up

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1356024773' post='1271740']
I think Ray retires. Reed retires or moves on. Boldin is most likely gone unless he takes a big pay cut. Birk likely retires. Mckinnie, Williams, Kemo, Considine all gone. Cody and Oher will likely be trade bait. The Ravens need to get younger and get better at a few key spots.
[/quote]

I really hope this happens. If it does though, we may be in a bit of a rebuilding year next season.

[quote name='Alexir' timestamp='1356024812' post='1271741']
Oh most certainly, BB will scoop him up
[/quote]

We all know how much BB loves Reed...

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1356024163' post='1271728']
[/quote]

I never saw that one but he certainly could. If i was Reeds age i would head to a warm climate as i know the guys bones have to hurt in the cold damp times.

So if i get this right when everyone speaks of "Windows" of opportunity closing it is partially due to Cap limits most of the time as you could always buy better talent right. No wonder the days of dynasties are gone.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1356024893' post='1271742']
I really hope this happens. If it does though, we may be in a bit of a rebuilding year next season.

We all know how much BB loves Reed...
[/quote]

Can you imagine BB trying to control Reeds outspoken nature. He would be the wildman there. Not as bad as Gronk in acting a fool in public but speaking to the press on anything. BB is a very strong believer in hiding information about players and situations.

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1356025207' post='1271747']

Can you imagine BB trying to control Reeds outspoken nature. He would be the wildman there. Not as bad as Gronk in acting a fool in public but speaking to the press on anything. BB is a very strong believer in hiding information about players and situations.
[/quote]

BB would feast on his first born to get Reed on his team. He's enamoured with him.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1356024041' post='1271724']
[b]If Reed wants a ring badly enough, he'll restructure.[/b]

If we lose Boldin, I want Doss to get a bigger role. He was one of few bright spots against Denver. Can't believe nobody really talked about him this week, but damn. He's gonna be a baller when Boldin's gone.
[/quote]

i would love to think that to Raven. but to be honest...the Ravens haven't really demonstrated SB material as of late. sure, we were in last years AFCCG but look how the defending AFC North champs have played this year. smh! Reed may decide to take his chances elsewhere.

~Mili

[quote name='Purple Nurple' timestamp='1356025812' post='1271758']
BB would feast on his first born to get Reed on his team. He's enamoured with him.
[/quote]

I did not realize that, i am stunned.

We need to clear over 10m in cap space just to be able to tender our RFA's/EFA's and franchise Flacco. (Assuming the cap is right around 120m again)

Leach, Boldin, J Jones, Birk, B Williams, McKinnie, Lewis, Reed, McClain and C Williams should all be gone

[quote name='Militant X 1' timestamp='1356025839' post='1271759']
i would love to think that to Raven. but to be honest...the Ravens haven't really demonstrated SB material as of late. sure, we were in last years AFCCG but look how the defending AFC North champs have played this year. smh! Reed may decide to take his chances elsewhere.

~Mili
[/quote]

and as it could mean more veterans have to walk i am not sure i could blame him either. Now i wonder what rice is thinking because a rebuild takes away a lot of his prime years and joes as well.

[quote name='REEDPIXUOFF' timestamp='1356028693' post='1271819']
We need to clear over 10m in cap space just to be able to tender our RFA's/EFA's and franchise Flacco. (Assuming the cap is right around 120m again)

Leach, Boldin, J Jones, Birk, B Williams, McKinnie, Lewis, Reed, McClain and C Williams should all be gone
[/quote]

That would all but kill our Oline, special teams and leave us just a few lb's

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1356028943' post='1271829']
That would all but kill our Oline, special teams and leave us just a few lb's
[/quote]

If you haven't noticed our oline and linebackers are already terrible. Use the savings to sign Branden Albert or Jermon Bushrod, that would fix a lot of the o-line problems.

As for Leach, a high priced fullback isn't a luxury we can afford considering the current state of our offensive and defensive lines.

Wow this is a rough topic!

I have no idea how it's going to shake out. I think Joe will sign for a deal similair to Schaub, Rivers, Ryan, and Cassel right between 10-12 million a season. But I think some of the cap purging will depend on how the post-season shakes out. If we go one and done then you can expect we will turn over the roster. If we go on a deep run we will try to keep all the players we can.

I'd love to see Boldin back too, and I think he could be willing to restructure his deal.

[quote name='REEDPIXUOFF' timestamp='1356029475' post='1271843']
If you haven't noticed our oline and linebackers are already terrible. Use the savings to sign Branden Albert or Jermon Bushrod, that would fix a lot of the o-line problems.

As for Leach, a high priced fullback isn't a luxury we can afford considering the current state of our offensive and defensive lines.
[/quote]

All of this is much more then i expected. In more ways then i thought this season really is that window closing and the last chance to go deep for at least 3 to 4 years as we groom all of our young guns. Is sad to think that an Era of dominance and hard nosed play is at its end. Makes my hopes for this year turn to urgency.

[quote name='Dudeman' timestamp='1356030618' post='1271866']
Wow this is a rough topic!

I have no idea how it's going to shake out. I think Joe will sign for a deal similair to Schaub, Rivers, Ryan, and Cassel right between 10-12 million a season. But I think some of the cap purging will depend on how the post-season shakes out. If we go one and done then you can expect we will turn over the roster. If we go on a deep run we will try to keep all the players we can.

I'd love to see Boldin back too, and I think he could be willing to restructure his deal.
[/quote]

Is an eye opener for me for sure and i wish things were like when if i remember correct the patriots all chose to be a unit and lose some money. That solidarity was rare and very nice to see.

I do think a good core is developing with Ellerbe, Webb, Kruger, Upshaw, Reid, Osemele, Doss and company right ? I think everyone was right and i like others have been spoiled by the Lewis's, Reed, Rice, Ogden , J.Lewis and numerous other stars we have had for so long.

Here's a great rundown on our cap situation:

[url="http://russellstreetreport.com/ravens-2013-free-agency-preview/"]http://russellstreetreport.com/ravens-2013-free-agency-preview/[/url]

If we have to tag flacco that is going to be a huge cap hit . at the beginning of this season i thought get a ring for reed , a second for lewis then both retire /coach .but now i'm not sure how this shakes out leach will most def get a good deal elsewhere . bouldin i don't see leaving . i think with the injuries we see now that even without lewis and reed we have bright stars still here . i think cary williams is looking for webb money and i don't see that .

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1356030761' post='1271868']
All of this is much more then i expected. In more ways then i thought this season really is that window closing and the last chance to go deep for at least 3 to 4 years as we groom all of our young guns. Is sad to think that an Era of dominance and hard nosed play is at its end. Makes my hopes for this year turn to urgency.
[/quote]

Where are you getting 3-4 years from? Teams have made massive leaps in single seasons before. People said the same thing after 2007, yet we vaulted back into Super Bowl contention immediately.

Can we please stop saying to restructure reed and lewis, both need to retire. Neither can justify the cost versus what they provide to the team anymore. Please don't tell me about veteran leadership either.

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1356033793' post='1271938']
Here's a great rundown on our cap situation:

[url="http://russellstreetreport.com/ravens-2013-free-agency-preview/"]http://russellstreet...agency-preview/[/url]
[/quote] tyvm for the link

[quote name='redlobster' timestamp='1356036183' post='1272001']
Can we please stop saying to restructure reed and lewis, both need to retire. Neither can justify the cost versus what they provide to the team anymore. Please don't tell me about veteran leadership either.
[/quote]

I think Ray can justify it... He's our only ILB that knows how to tackle. If he took a pay cut, we could justify it. I think he's making 7 million now. If we even got him down to the 3-5 million range it could help.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1356036398' post='1272004']
I think Ray can justify it... He's our only ILB that knows how to tackle. If he took a pay cut, we could justify it. I think he's making 7 million now. If we even got him down to the 3-5 million range it could help.
[/quote]

the issue I see, is if he is restructured doesn't that just move the cap hit to next year instead of this year?