Ravens-Texans      Joe Flacco      Schedule   

Photo

What is your Worse case for our Cap next season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I think the money we pay Joe will define a lot of what we do at the end of the season and how our could look could change a bit more then most expect. This is just my understanding and if i am wrong please let me know as i have real trouble understanding it all.

If Joe gets something between 12 and 15 million per year that will force us to make hard decisions on if Reed, R. Lewis, Anquan Boldin all stay or go ? Or is it as simple as restructuring their contracts ? Because i "think" if we franchise Joe he will get around 17 million ?

I know most teams only have but so many stars on a team and we have been very fortunate to have as many quality players that we do. In your best educated guess what would be the very worst case scenario you see as a possibility for our team.

This is a huge deal to me and want to hear from others and hope i am very wrong because numbers never have been a favorite for me.

I do not intend for this to be a bash Joe topic nor am i gonna debate his value as in reality who am i to gauge anyones talent ?
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#2 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,628 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Ray and Reed are going to be let go or forced into retirement. I could see Ray restructuring, but not Reed.
Boldin... I want to keep him but we may not be able to when we sign Joe. Boldin may also be willing to restructure, though.

#3 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

Ray and Reed are going to be let go or forced into retirement. I could see Ray restructuring, but not Reed.
Boldin... I want to keep him but we may not be able to when we sign Joe. Boldin may also be willing to restructure, though.

I was thinking that they make Jacoby take a bigger role if they lose Boldin but i always get just a bit tense when he is back there handling returns because of his past but i have to admit up until last game he has been a blessing. So it all does hinge on how much Flacco gets ?
I know i feel bad for Reed, i wish we could get him a ring this season but a lot of great players never got one i guess.

#4 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,628 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

I was thinking that they make Jacoby take a bigger role if they lose Boldin but i always get just a bit tense when he is back there handling returns because of his past but i have to admit up until last game he has been a blessing. So it all does hinge on how much Flacco gets ?
I know i feel bad for Reed, i wish we could get him a ring this season but a lot of great players never got one i guess.

If Reed wants a ring badly enough, he'll restructure.

If we lose Boldin, I want Doss to get a bigger role. He was one of few bright spots against Denver. Can't believe nobody really talked about him this week, but damn. He's gonna be a baller when Boldin's gone.

#5 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

If Reed wanted a ring so bad, he would show it on the field in his tackling and effort

I don't see him back

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#6 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,628 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

If Reed wanted a ring so bad, he would show it on the field in his tackling and effort

I don't see him back

I think Reed is going to end up in New England, as much as it pains me to say it.

#7 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

I think Ray retires. Reed retires or moves on. Boldin is most likely gone unless he takes a big pay cut. Birk likely retires. Mckinnie, Williams, Kemo, Considine all gone. Cody and Oher will likely be trade bait. The Ravens need to get younger and get better at a few key spots.

Blitz every down! It's the only way to win!

#8 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

I think Reed is going to end up in New England, as much as it pains me to say it.

Oh most certainly, BB will scoop him up

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#9 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,628 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

I think Ray retires. Reed retires or moves on. Boldin is most likely gone unless he takes a big pay cut. Birk likely retires. Mckinnie, Williams, Kemo, Considine all gone. Cody and Oher will likely be trade bait. The Ravens need to get younger and get better at a few key spots.

I really hope this happens. If it does though, we may be in a bit of a rebuilding year next season.

Oh most certainly, BB will scoop him up

We all know how much BB loves Reed...

#10 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

I never saw that one but he certainly could. If i was Reeds age i would head to a warm climate as i know the guys bones have to hurt in the cold damp times.

So if i get this right when everyone speaks of "Windows" of opportunity closing it is partially due to Cap limits most of the time as you could always buy better talent right. No wonder the days of dynasties are gone.

#11 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

I really hope this happens. If it does though, we may be in a bit of a rebuilding year next season.

We all know how much BB loves Reed...

Can you imagine BB trying to control Reeds outspoken nature. He would be the wildman there. Not as bad as Gronk in acting a fool in public but speaking to the press on anything. BB is a very strong believer in hiding information about players and situations.

#12 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,234 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

Can you imagine BB trying to control Reeds outspoken nature. He would be the wildman there. Not as bad as Gronk in acting a fool in public but speaking to the press on anything. BB is a very strong believer in hiding information about players and situations.

BB would feast on his first born to get Reed on his team. He's enamoured with him.

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#13 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,908 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

If Reed wants a ring badly enough, he'll restructure.

If we lose Boldin, I want Doss to get a bigger role. He was one of few bright spots against Denver. Can't believe nobody really talked about him this week, but damn. He's gonna be a baller when Boldin's gone.

i would love to think that to Raven. but to be honest...the Ravens haven't really demonstrated SB material as of late. sure, we were in last years AFCCG but look how the defending AFC North champs have played this year. smh! Reed may decide to take his chances elsewhere.

~Mili

@Mili

mili1.png

"We have an opportunity to get to the playoffs.

None of these teams are better than us. Let’s go prove it!”

- John Harbaugh

#14 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

BB would feast on his first born to get Reed on his team. He's enamoured with him.

I did not realize that, i am stunned.

#15 REEDPIXUOFF

REEDPIXUOFF

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

We need to clear over 10m in cap space just to be able to tender our RFA's/EFA's and franchise Flacco. (Assuming the cap is right around 120m again)

Leach, Boldin, J Jones, Birk, B Williams, McKinnie, Lewis, Reed, McClain and C Williams should all be gone

#16 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

i would love to think that to Raven. but to be honest...the Ravens haven't really demonstrated SB material as of late. sure, we were in last years AFCCG but look how the defending AFC North champs have played this year. smh! Reed may decide to take his chances elsewhere.

~Mili

and as it could mean more veterans have to walk i am not sure i could blame him either. Now i wonder what rice is thinking because a rebuild takes away a lot of his prime years and joes as well.

#17 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

We need to clear over 10m in cap space just to be able to tender our RFA's/EFA's and franchise Flacco. (Assuming the cap is right around 120m again)

Leach, Boldin, J Jones, Birk, B Williams, McKinnie, Lewis, Reed, McClain and C Williams should all be gone

That would all but kill our Oline, special teams and leave us just a few lb's

#18 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I just noticed Vonte on that list, i hope Pitta or Dickson can block.

#19 REEDPIXUOFF

REEDPIXUOFF

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

That would all but kill our Oline, special teams and leave us just a few lb's

If you haven't noticed our oline and linebackers are already terrible. Use the savings to sign Branden Albert or Jermon Bushrod, that would fix a lot of the o-line problems.

As for Leach, a high priced fullback isn't a luxury we can afford considering the current state of our offensive and defensive lines.

#20 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Wow this is a rough topic!

I have no idea how it's going to shake out. I think Joe will sign for a deal similair to Schaub, Rivers, Ryan, and Cassel right between 10-12 million a season. But I think some of the cap purging will depend on how the post-season shakes out. If we go one and done then you can expect we will turn over the roster. If we go on a deep run we will try to keep all the players we can.

I'd love to see Boldin back too, and I think he could be willing to restructure his deal.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp