162 replies to this topic

#1 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

In all likelihood, we are going to resign Joe Flacco as our QB. Now while there some people here who think we are better off getting rid of him, we don't need troll posts like nothing, or $1 or something thats not even remotely close to a contract possibility. If you want to do that, go to the assessment thread please, no need to derail the thread. To the rest of you, I ask how much we should pay him and how much do you think we are going to pay him?

I think we will end up paying him 14 million a year, but I only think he deserves 12 million.

Edited by Sizzlebshu, 19 December 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#2 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,902 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

I think we need to wait and see how the season plays out. It's been pretty rough so far, but there have been stretches of excellent play to go along with stretches of poor play. Not all the blame lies with Flacco, but he certainly shoulders much of it. If we can finish the season strong and make a run in the playoffs I think he can ask for the 13-15M range. However, if this implosion continues and Flacco and the rest of the offense still looks anemic I cant justify much more than 12-13M. It's really on Joe's shoulders.

Most likely what ends up happening is he gets the Franchise Tag and screws our cap situation.

@gabefergy

#3 HaX

HaX

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

14m I'd say

#4 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

He will probably get the Franchise Tag just so we make sure he doesn't hit the open market and a team like Arizona or the Jets would over-pay for him. Like gabefergy said though, let this season play out, see how far he takes us. I'm hoping we go $11-13 million. But he could ask for as much as 14-15M.

Edited by bauer77, 19 December 2012 - 07:33 PM.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#5 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

I think we need to wait and see how the season plays out. It's been pretty rough so far, but there have been stretches of excellent play to go along with stretches of poor play. Not all the blame lies with Flacco, but he certainly shoulders much of it. If we can finish the season strong and make a run in the playoffs I think he can ask for the 13-15M range. However, if this implosion continues and Flacco and the rest of the offense still looks anemic I cant justify much more than 12-13M. It's really on Joe's shoulders.

Most likely what ends up happening is he gets the Franchise Tag and screws our cap situation.

I really think the tag is a last resort and the front office doesnt want to have to do that. I am hoping it doesnt come to that and if it does we work out a deal quickly so we can make some moves in FA.

I dont see much benefit to either side waiting it out. Flacco has a tough schedule left and for his next game he may be without #1 receiver Torrey Smith. So Flacco's agent cant be happy with the idea of Flacco tanking his stock even more due to personnel problems and the front office doesnt want to risk him playing better upping his stock. I am not saying a deal gets done this week, just that waiting it out doesnt benefit either side. There are other risks to waiting it for the front office like Joe's agent forcing them to tag him if they dont give an adequate offer.

Edited by Sizzlebshu, 19 December 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#6 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

I really think the tag is a last resort and the front office doesnt want to have to do that. I am hoping it doesnt come to that and if it does we work out a deal quickly so we can make some moves in FA.

I dont see much benefit to either side waiting it out. Flacco has a tough schedule left and for his next game he may be without #1 receiver Torrey Smith. So Flacco's agent cant be happy with the idea of Flacco tanking his stock even more due to personnel problems and the front office doesnt want to risk him playing better upping his stock. I am not saying a deal gets done this week, just that waiting it out doesnt benefit either side.

Anybody know how much the tag would actually be? Wouldn't it be about 18-19M? Or am i wrong?

nb4yyq.jpg
Twitter

#7 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Anybody know how much the tag would actually be? Wouldn't it be about 18-19M? Or am i wrong?

http://www.nationalf...ag-numbers.html

It s about 14.5 million

#8 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,902 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

I dont see much benefit to either side waiting it out. Flacco has a tough schedule left and for his next game he may be without #1 receiver Torrey Smith. So Flacco's agent cant be happy with the idea of Flacco tanking his stock even more due to personnel problems and the front office doesnt want to risk him playing better upping his stock. I am not saying a deal gets done this week, just that waiting it out doesnt benefit either side. There are other risks to waiting it for the front office like Joe's agent forcing them to tag him if they dont give an adequate offer.

I dont think a deal will be done this season, but maybe I am wrong.

@gabefergy

#9 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

If the tag is 14.5, then I'd sign him for 11 per year for 5 years with about 30-35 guaranteed. I'd also like us to draft a decent rookie like A. J. McCarron to be waiting in the wings if we need to jettison Flacco before the contract is up.

Edited by CapoRocky, 19 December 2012 - 07:29 PM.

Super Bowl Champions 01/28/01 and 02/03/13!

#10 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,902 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

If the tag is 14.5, then I'd sign him for 11 per year for 5 years with about 30-35 guaranteed. I'd also like us to draft a decent rookie like A. J. McCarron to be waiting in the wings if we need to jettison Flacco before the contract is up.

There's no way Flacco signs for only 11M per year and A.J. McCarron isnt entering the draft, not that he has any NFL potential anyways.

@gabefergy

#11 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

He will probably get the Franchise Tag just so we make sure he doesn't hit the open market and a team like Arizona or the Jets would over-pay for him. Like gabefergy said though, let this season play out, see how far he takes us. I'm hoping we go $11-13 million. But he could ask for as much as 14-15M.

If they tag him he'll get like 17mil for that year so how are they going turn around and try to under pay him a contract for 14mil a year???? He will not get the tag...

#12 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,586 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

This is funny!!!
Posted Image

#13 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

If they tag him he'll get like 17mil for that year so how are they going turn around and try to under pay him a contract for 14mil a year???? He will not get the tag...

They will do what Rice did... Its gonna come down to the wire....
Banned

#14 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

There's no way Flacco signs for only 11M per year and A.J. McCarron isnt entering the draft, not that he has any NFL potential anyways.

I would negotiate soon before Flacco starts to win again. I'm not sure how high they will go for him but I don't see us paying him more than 12-13 a year. At least we aren't the Jets who have Sanchez guaranteed for 8.5 next season.

#15 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

This is funny!!!

His value dropped when we were losing 31 to 3.

#16 bravensfan52

bravensfan52

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

10.5-11 mil
Live life like 52 plays- Bravensfan52

#17 rlh445

rlh445

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

His value dropped when we were losing 31 to 3.

Dude, player value doesn't drop according to one or even five game performances, they are based on an overall basis. If we win our next two games and win one or more in the playoffs, 31 to 3 will mean squat.

This is football, not teacups with the Queen.

#18 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,902 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

I dont think a lot of you realize the market value of the QB in today's NFL. Matt Schaub got 14M a year. I dont think anyone can argue that Schaub has been a signficantly better QB than Flacco. Schaub has put up some prettier stats, but over the course of their respective careers Flacco has been much more consistent and clutch. He is also younger with more upside. It's pretty clear that a lot of Ravens fans are suffering from what psychologist's refer to as recency bias. We have just watched Flacco play pretty poorly in a few games and all of a sudden he only deserves 10-11M? Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not happening.

@gabefergy

#19 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,730 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

I dont think a lot of you realize the market value of the QB in today's NFL. Matt Schaub got 14M a year. I dont think anyone can argue that Schaub has been a signficantly better QB than Flacco. Schaub has put up some prettier stats, but over the course of their respective careers Flacco has been much more consistent and clutch. He is also younger with more upside. It's pretty clear that a lot of Ravens fans are suffering from what psychologist's refer to as recency bias. We have just watched Flacco play pretty poorly in a few games and all of a sudden he only deserves 10-11M? Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's not happening.

I am not suffering from that, and I cant speak for the rest of people, but if you look at the market for QBs is going to force us to overpay Flacco. Flacco doesnt deserve 14 million. Has he won games? Yea of course, but his numbers are about the same as Eli's only slightly better (Eli's are terrible outside of last year btw). For the record, Eli didnt deserve his contract but a superbowl win + having the last name Manning got him his.

Likewise, flacco doesnt derserve a huge contact. He hasn't put up elite numbers or even consistency with certain numbers, but the market says a qb like that is now worth 15 million (because other qbs were grossly overpayed cough Brees cough).

If you put relate positions to cap and players value at that position to the cap (how much of a team's cap a qb is worth, and how good of a qb is Flacco and how much of the cap should he account for), Flacco is not worth 15 million or 12.5% of our cap when Peyton who is one of the best of all time is only worth 15% of the team's cap. He just has not been that good and extra money that is forced to go to him, could actually net us a player that can help him and us a lot.

Again this is not Flacco's fault, other teams have grossly inflated the market for QB's, and as a result we will be forced to pay Flacco more than he is actually worth, but Flacco's production doesn't balance out the % of cap he will be paid.

Thats what I feel upsets people about Flacco.

Edited by Sizzlebshu, 19 December 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#20 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Did you not read any of the above posts? http://www.nationalf...ag-numbers.html The projected franchise tag value for a QB is about 14.5M. And i believe there is a strong possibility we could give him the tag with the way he has played this year. Why would we want to sigh him if we don't think he is going to improve anymore in his 6 year? Why would we want to invest so much money in him, and possibly it screw us over down the road?

Get him a new OC that can work with him during training camp, if we see a drastic improvement next year, then we sign him long term. If not, then he walks after next year.

nb4yyq.jpg
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users