Training Camp      Stadium Practices     

Watch LIVE Press Conferences Saturday at 4:00 pm ET

Jerry Rosburg, Gary Kubiak, and Dean Pees will address the media following training camp practice.
*Time is subject to change
Close

Photo

[News] Joe Flacco Confident Contract Gets Done

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,816 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

The fifth-year quarterback's rookie contract expires at the end of the season.

View the full article

#2 crabby

crabby

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Maybe it should be on his mind. I thought in the beginning of the season that playing in a contract year would be great for Flacco and our team as he would give it his all. That doesn't always seem to be the case. And maybe it's just me but he doesn't look very confident when things don't go his way. He seems to get shaken easily. I am hopeful for the next few games.

#3 BoominRaven

BoominRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

the only positive thing I can say is at least the dude isn't mark sanchez and has some form of mental toughness. if you're capable of scoring 30 joe, i suggest you make good on that claim instead of losing heartbreakers to teams we should destroy (ie pitt, washington, philly)

#4 bpytnjr58

bpytnjr58

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Confidence is a great thing to have...Hopefully Sunday he will have a ton of it.

#5 The Greek

The Greek

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

fix the o-line and we will score 30 plus a game

#6 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,758 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

Flacco was asked how much of the offensive struggles he puts on himself.

"As much as I can. All of it. It starts with the quarterback," he said. "That's the position that's looked at and you have to go look at yourself and see what you can do better to make everybody else around you a little bit better."

^ really? lol! that sounds like something myself and others in here have been saying all along.

~Mili

Edited by Militant X 1, 19 December 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#7 dweezy420

dweezy420

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Ravens fans are getting to get a bit ridiculous this year.

Yeah our team is on the down end right now , Because of injuries an key players fighting through injuries to play ( ngata , suggs , reed .. etc ) Dont say flacco isnt a good quaterback .. Those will be the first ones to say hes " elite " or " our " qb when he throws a good game this week.

Jus my opinion , we have alot holes in our O-Line , wish we could see some Mckinney , but we dont know what's going on behind closed doors.

-D

#8 RiseNconquer

RiseNconquer

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

I would be confident to if Tyrod Taylor was my back up and no matter how well I play I know at the end of the year I'm getting a significant raise. Hopefully, he and Linta are more realistic this time around.
Life is good and can only get better.

#9 plb623

plb623

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

joe everybody remembers only the bad things which have happened, you can do your job perfectly for the whole game, and make an mistake and hear about it the rest of your career. well theres a lot of teams out there that would jump on you in a minute to get you, your coaches know it and biscotti knows it, hes not a stupid man, youll get the contract we the fans know it. youll get the contract for you to stay here in baltimore. so the news media just back up and lets look forward to whooping eli.

#10 Ravensfan4life2010

Ravensfan4life2010

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

he deserves it hasnt missed a game he put his entire heart on the field dont say he dont show emotion cause you dont know what you talking. fix oline he is great.

Ozzie newsome finally is realizing that he shouldve re-signed grubbs. Re-structure ray lewis contract just to keep grubbs here

#11 ravensfan240

ravensfan240

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

flacco doesnt deserve his long term deal tell ya y cam was fired and the main issues was coming from #5 that fumble on that qb sneak the big pick at the end of the 1st half u cant get brady peyton deals if u cant throw many many key word MANY tds time to move on ray lewis gettin too old y not get the best free agent might b little older but WHO CARES most of our team is on the blink of retirement LETS GO OZZIE bring a true hard worker that seems and SHOWS winning skills to bmore cuz flacco is NOT the answer

#12 RiseNconquer

RiseNconquer

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Ravens fans are getting to get a bit ridiculous this year.

Yeah our team is on the down end right now , Because of injuries an key players fighting through injuries to play ( ngata , suggs , reed .. etc ) Dont say flacco isnt a good quaterback .. Those will be the first ones to say hes " elite " or " our " qb when he throws a good game this week.

Jus my opinion , we have alot holes in our O-Line , wish we could see some Mckinney , but we dont know what's going on behind closed doors.

-D

I hear you, but all the injuries you name are on the defensive side of the the ball. Why does our offense suck? Pittsburgh beat us with their 3rd string quarterback (we don't even have a thrid string QB). Washington beat us with their rookie back up after joe took the ball and went 3 and out in overtime.

We lost Grubbs because the front office made a good faith effort to sign Rice and Flacco. The rest of the O line is what it is. maybe Oher should be at RT, maybe Birk is done. Regardless, this is the same oline we've had all year. They are who they are and we should scheme better. Certainly Flacco should not be holding the ball or failing to count above 4 when the other defense is blitzing off the line.

There is no excuse or explanation for the offense to be this inept with so many starters playing, and there is no excuse for the coaching staff to be making the aggriegous mistakes they have been making over the last two weeks. Harbaugh's horrible challenges and the illegal substitution calls tell us all we need to know about what is happening inside the organization.

I would love to see them turn it around, but Flacco is not a leader and many in the locker room appear to have already checked out of the season. Its going to be downright laughable when Linta uses their 5th straight playoff appearance as a reason to pay Flacco 100 million dollars.
Everyday I wake up, I am one day closer to watching my Ravens.

#13 RavenoutWest

RavenoutWest

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

O-Line definitely needs to be fixed, but I say let the season play out and compare some numbers. I'd keep Joe, but he's got to show his value.

#14 RavenManiac5220

RavenManiac5220

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

First, I'm not hatin' on Joe. After the bad smell in the air left behind by the Boller and last year of the McNair eras, it was refreshing to see usually competent QB play. HOWEVER, the ship has sailed and it's time to move on. Joe has shown NO improvement over his five years in key areas: accuracy, pocket awareness, and ball control. In fact, you can say he regressed in all of the above this year. I don't want to hear about dropped passes and poor OL play. Joe sails passes over receivers heads just as much as they drop them. His unwillingness to scramble out of the pocket, throw a ball away, or fumble after a bad sack just exacerbates the bad OL play. Boldin and the TE's have a hard time getting open because Linebackers know they don't have to hang around to cover Joe if the pocket collapses. He is what he his. At this point, he can't be coached up or will show any significant improvement. His ceiling is a poor man's Drew Bledsoe and we don't have the O-Line or the playmaking receivers to allow for that.

Bottom line, if we franchise Joe or sign him to a contract that he ultimately he does not deserve, it ties up what little cap space we have to address other more important issues: improving the Offensive and Defensive lines. There is no point in overpaying Joe if the O-line does not get any better. And we can not get into shoot-outs with more dynamic teams if the Defense keeps leaking oil and giving up 30 pts a game.

Supposedly there are no worth-while QBs on the free agent market or coming out of the draft. Or so they say. Russell Wilson was a 3rd Round Pick, so was Colin Kapernick. There is talent to be found. But beyond that, even if there aren't any viable options this year, let's spend a year seeing what Tyrod can do with a run-oriented game plan with a heavy dose of Rice, Pierce and Leach carrying the load. Let's get back to Raven football (run the ball, control the clock, play tough D and control field position with our special teams) and forget about becoming something that our roster is not put together to be.

#15 bioLarzen

bioLarzen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Evidently, he most be quite bitter thinking about it: he knows that he could have made a better deal with a new contract before the season...

Or, at least, so far he's been his own worst enemy...

A Super Bowl appearance can still save his case though.

bio

Edited by Grapple Raven, 19 December 2012 - 04:24 PM.
Profanity

#16 Guest_D3x3001_*

Guest_D3x3001_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

I would stick Joe with a first round tender and let him work out his inconsistencies next season in order to prove to us he can stop being hot and cold and just play well.

#17 bioLarzen

bioLarzen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Yeah our team is on the down end right now , Because of injuries an key players fighting through injuries to play ( ngata , suggs , reed .. etc )

One small remark: before last week's game, all of our key injuries were on the D: Webb, Suggs, Lewis, Ngata, Reed, Jimmy Smith, Ellerbe, etc... Every key memeber of the O was healthy. Yanda was the first improtant offensive player to get injured. So, while the D - and Pees - have the right to point at the injury list (though they never have), the O doesn't.

bio

#18 bioLarzen

bioLarzen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,740 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

I would stick Joe with a first round tender and let him work out his inconsistencies next season in order to prove to us he can stop being hot and cold and just play well.

... and who would be your QB?

bio

Edited by bioLarzen, 19 December 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#19 Ravensallday24/7

Ravensallday24/7

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

"As much as I can. All of it. It starts with the quarterback," he said. "That's the position that's looked at and you have to go look at yourself and see what you can do better to make everybody else around you a little bit better."
HMM...wasn't some of us saying that Flacco never puts any blame on himself?

#20 rmcjacket23

rmcjacket23

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Supposedly there are no worth-while QBs on the free agent market or coming out of the draft. Or so they say. Russell Wilson was a 3rd Round Pick, so was Colin Kapernick. There is talent to be found. But beyond that, even if there aren't any viable options this year, let's spend a year seeing what Tyrod can do with a run-oriented game plan with a heavy dose of Rice, Pierce and Leach carrying the load. Let's get back to Raven football (run the ball, control the clock, play tough D and control field position with our special teams) and forget about becoming something that our roster is not put together to be.

It's years too early to say anything about the success of Kaepernick and Wilson. I'm still betting that Wilson will be a career backup by his 3rd or 4th year. In a QB draft pool that even analysts say is incredibly weak, you are basically suggesting that we just guess at how the best 3rd round QB will be, and hope we get lucky. No good franchise drafts that way.

Two of the things you said are essentially unattainable with the current healthy roster we have. Playing tough D? Hard to do when half your starters (most of which are probowl caliber) have missed significant games. Also hard to do when their backups (our entire MLB core) are injured and missing games also.

Controlling time of possession? Again, almost impossible when the defense won't get off the field. While the Ravens are still among the better teams in the league in points allowed (ultimately the only thing that matters), giving up yardage effects time of possession. So we have a defense that can't stop the run (see no MLBs) and a defense that is struggling on third down.

We can run the ball every play, and we still won't dominate TOP with the way our defense is shaping up at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users