Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kassaiscool

Kyle Shanahan

49 posts in this topic

To be honest I would like him to be our Head Coach. I think hes a younger version of a Sean payton with the potential to be a better play caller. The only thing risky about him is he has never been a head coach before, but after reading this article [url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000113501/article/kyle-shanahan-on-coaching-fast-track-with-redskins-malleability"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000113501/article/kyle-shanahan-on-coaching-fast-track-with-redskins-malleability[/url] it makes me want him even more. I know Joe and him would be great working together, because Kyle adapts to the qb, not the other way around. I know coach Harbaugh is a great leader of men, but I don't really hear about John being schematically good. He also cost this team by bringing back Cam, and now firing him mid season is not a good look.

Does anyone think Kyle Shanahan would be a good head coach for the ravens?

[quote name='kassaiscool' timestamp='1355866992' post='1269774']
To be honest I would like him to be our Head Coach. I think hes a younger version of a Sean payton with the potential to be a better play caller. The only thing risky about him is he has never been a head coach before, but after reading this article [url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000113501/article/kyle-shanahan-on-coaching-fast-track-with-redskins-malleability"]http://www.nfl.com/n...ns-malleability[/url] it makes me want him even more. I know Joe and him would be great working together, because Kyle adapts to the qb, not the other way around. I know coach Harbaugh is a great leader of men, but I don't really hear about John being schematically good. He also cost this team by bringing back Cam, and now firing him mid season is not a good look.

Does anyone think Kyle Shanahan would be a good head coach for the ravens?
[/quote]

Like that option. Would like to see a more aggressive approach on the team. I do not like playing it safe and when you get a lead you dummy the offense down and play off on the defense. It never leads to anything good. I want to see pressure pressure pressure on the opposing team. Very nice post my friend.

[quote name='nextgen_RavensFan' timestamp='1355867462' post='1269788']
Like that option. Would like to see a more aggressive approach on the team. I do not like playing it safe and when you get a lead you dummy the offense down and play off on the defense. It never leads to anything good. I want to see pressure pressure pressure on the opposing team. Very nice post my friend.
[/quote]

Thanks, I was just thinking ahead of what Joe could be in the future given a new system, and some new confidence in the system. I know Joe won't be leaving so we might as well make things easier for him to succeed. I also remember that John Harbaugh didn't have any Head Coaching experience before we hired him. I just like innovating coaches, and Kyle seems to be that type of guy.

I'll pass. I think it's a little premature to be talking about a replacement HC. We're still the division leader with a 5th straight playoff berth under John. It's a miracle we have 9 wins with the scope of our injuries and lack of offense.

[quote name='BMORElegacy' timestamp='1355868993' post='1269837']
I'll pass. I think it's a little premature to be talking about a replacement HC. We're still the division leader with a 5th straight playoff berth under John. It's a miracle we have 9 wins with the scope of our injuries and lack of offense.
[/quote]

I love your optimism friend but no matter what time of the season we are in. Looking at options never hurts, hell might even make Harb's man up and show a backbone for once.

[quote name='BMORElegacy' timestamp='1355868993' post='1269837']
[/quote]

Yea, I agree its a little bit to premature but at the same time he might be gone after this season. Other teams might being trying to get him, and the ravens job is probably more attractive than the other jobs. As far as going to the playoffs 5 straight years that's a great accomplishment, but also wasted opportunities. We also will probably not have any hall of famers anymore in ed reed and ray lewis. We also won't have a decided advantage in talent like in the past, after this season.

Harbaugh should not have dropped that pass at the end of the AFCCG last year. We could have been in the SB. I'm not sure why we brought him back.

Kyle Shanahan has been a good OC throughout his entire career, I'm certainly not opposed to seeing if he's the guy. I'm fairly confident that Harbaugh isn't. Still, I'm worried our OL is too decimated and unintelligent to run that system.

Are people seriously looking to get rid of the HC who helped us get to the playoffs 5 years in a row? Are people seriously looking to get rid of the HC who helped us have a winning record every year? Do you really think Harbaugh had nothing to do with our successes? Now we have a team riddled with injuries and you want him fired? SMH!

[quote name='Moderator 3' timestamp='1355872612' post='1269932']
Are people seriously looking to get rid of the HC who helped us get to the playoffs 5 years in a row? Are people seriously looking to get rid of the HC who helped us have a winning record every year? Do you really think Harbaugh had nothing to do with our successes? Now we have a team riddled with injuries and you want him fired? SMH!
[/quote]

Amen to that

[/quote]Yes, people are seriously looking to get rid of said HC... I've seen sky is falling threads before but this one takes it to a whole different level.

[quote name='PurpleCityLights' timestamp='1355872772' post='1269942']
I think we need a new Offensive Line coach, And Wide Receiver coach.
[/quote]

Definitely a new WR coach. I've been saying that for a couple of years.

I do the facepalm each week after our HC explaines how great the other team played and how this experience will make us better ( or whatever positive spin is in place ). The playoff record is the result of talent ( fluke lucky streak this year however ). Rebuild time from the top down....nuke this team and coaches start from scratch if it were my money.

Its a interesting thought that's all I am saying. For me personally I would like Kyle as a our head coach for the future. I love the fact that this team has been to the playoffs 5 years in a row, but isn't it time to take the next step? You know maybe go to the superbowl? The fact that Cam was retained after the season was all John Harbaugh, and the fact now he has a OC who was never called a nfl game besides last week is sad. If he just let Cam walk after last season maybe a new scheme on offense would have helped tremendously.

[/quote]

One of the points of this thread is to look for someone to help Joe improve. John isn't capable of making that happen in my opinion. This is a QB league all I am saying is I believe Kyle will be able to get everything out of Flacco. I want to keep Harbaugh, but at the same time if the rest of this season goes downhill and the ravens have a subpar season next year, I wouldn't say that is out of the question.

[quote name='kassaiscool' timestamp='1355875744' post='1270012']
One of the points of this thread is to look for someone to help Joe improve. J[b]ohn isn't capable of making that happen in my opinion. This is a QB league all I am saying is I believe Kyle will be able to get everything out of Flacco. I want to keep Harbaugh, but at the same time if the rest of this season goes downhill and the ravens have a subpar season next year, I wouldn't say that is out of the question.[/b]
[/quote]

The ravens just recently got rid of Cam(the man that every ravens fans said was holding joe back) and now the ravens offense and joe have to adjust to a new offensive coordinator. if the ravens lose or dont make it to the playoffs there will be alot good offensive coodinators to choose from this offseason . I personally like Hue Jackson and Pat Shurmur

why not just find a good offensive coordinator? maybe im in the minority but i like harbaugh, he works well with the team and brings a positive atmosphere/chemistry to the team. We improved as a team from when harbaugh started to last year. We were a field goal/completion away from the superbowl last year. We are not as good this year because the d is hanging by a thread. Our offense is healthy and talented but they're just inconsistent. Our offense has always been inconsistent but relied on our d to save the day. Our d is injured now so the offense needs to show up. A good offensive ccordinator + execution by the players can fix that.

[quote name='jazz1988' timestamp='1355876719' post='1270024']
The ravens just recently got rid of Cam(the man that every ravens fans said was holding joe back) and now the ravens offense and joe have to adjust to a new offensive coordinator. if the ravens lose or dont make it to the playoffs there will be alot good offensive coodinators to choose from this offseason . I personally like Hue Jackson and Pat Shurmur
[/quote]

Yea I like Hue as well, but I like Kyle a little more. Kyle might be a HC after the season as well. Just giving some options.

[/quote]

You gotta stop with the commonsense thing, it only leads to headaches with all the nonsense around here.

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1355881252' post='1270072']
You gotta stop with the commonsense thing, it only leads to headaches with all the nonsense around here.
[/quote]

hahaha i actually laughed out loud.

Like awholelottahaloti said on the first page, Harbaugh should've caught that pass in the AFCCG last year, and we wouldn't even be talking about this.

No, I don't think he'd be good for us. He was nearly ran out of town before RG3 .. I like what Dirk did in ATL... Then again, superior talent on the offensive side of the ball makes life easier.

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1355881890' post='1270082']

hahaha i actually laughed out loud.

Like awholelottahaloti said on the first page, Harbaugh should've caught that pass in the AFCCG last year, and we wouldn't even be talking about this.
[/quote]

Or at the very least he should have made the kick to send it to overtime.

John seems like a nice guy but he doesn't have what it takes to be a HC IMHO. There's a stark contrast between him and his younger brother Jim who is much more aggressive and "cold-blooded" when it comes to his coaching style, e.g., running up the score, the "handshake" with Detroit's coach, replacing his starting QB with his back-up, etc.. For my money, I like his style better. I think John aspires to be a player's coach like Andy Reid but he is obviously intimidated by some of the veterans like Ray and Ed as some young coaches would be. I'd rather have a Head Coach like Tom Coughlin who could care less if his players like him as long as they respect him. Being a player's coach is a fine line to walk. Ask Rex Ryan.

John has been the benefactor of very talented players who have led him to the playoffs for five years in a row now. Unless something drastic happens, that streak will end next year just as the 15 game streak of home victories ended. Its December and we're not playing well, notwithstanding all of the injuries. Yes, I think it is legitimate to question his leadership. How many of you can remember when Marty Schottenheimer was canned after his first season with the Redskins? I forget the year but the Skins lost their 1st 5 games and wound up winning 8 of their last 11 games that year and he was still fired even though their final record was 8-8. I can recall thinking that it was unfair at the time but stranger things have happened. To put it into perspective, we won 9 of our first 11 games thanks in part to lady luck and we could easily wind up with a record of 9-7. Of course, a lot will depend on how we do in the playoffs but if we go one and done, the front office will have to do some serious self-introspection, notwithstanding the injuries. The inspiration for other mercenaries to come play in Baltimore has not come from Coach Harbaugh but rather Ray Lewis. When he retires, it will be even tougher to attract good free agents.

My mother taught me two things about eggs that have served me well all these years. The 1st is "Never enumerate your feathered progeny before their incubation period is fully realized." The 2nd is "Never put all your eggs in one basket." The chicken always comes home to roost. Let;s win one for Ray & Reed so we can put all this silly talk to rest!

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1355883627' post='1270115']
No, I don't think he'd be good for us. He was nearly ran out of town before RG3 .. I like what Dirk did in ATL... Then again, superior talent on the offensive side of the ball makes life easier.
[/quote]

Then again, when you have to choose between Rex Grossman and John Beck for your starting QB, you cant expect a whole lot offensively...

[quote name='Free Agent' timestamp='1355888893' post='1270218']

Then again, when you have to choose between Rex Grossman and John Beck for your starting QB, you cant expect a whole lot offensively...
[/quote]

They CHOSE those QBs.... Thinking that they could be "smart enough" to make them good. Grossman was a first round draft pick, he had some talent... similar to Flacco, he self destructed at times. I get what you're saying , but the Ego of the Shanny is pretty remarkable. lol. : P

I would ride it out with Harbaugh a little bit longer with Cam just getting canned. Even though I'm against HC's that can't take over either the defensive or offensive play calling duties, John has done a decent job since he been here.

[quote name='jazz1988' timestamp='1355876719' post='1270024']
[/quote]
I agree. Hugh Jackson is my first choice because I think he's the best and available. Pat Shurmur is also a great choice looking at the brilliant work he did with Sam Bradford but will he be available? If Mike Mularkey gets fired he could be an option considering the work he did with rookie Cam Newton.

Good OC doesn't translate to be a good HC; ask Mr Cameron or Josh Daniels and many others....

However, Harbs has set himself with a very strong resume who "magically" turned a losing team into a 5 straight playoff appearances with 2 NFC championship trips. If we ever want to replace HC, I want someone with a better resume than John or John himself screws up the whole team with KC and Buffalo record.......

PS:I understand OP puts out a suggestion, but at least it has to be fair to Harbs and a bit of common sense.......

[quote name='kassaiscool' timestamp='1355875744' post='1270012']
One of the points of this thread is to look for someone to help Joe improve. John isn't capable of making that happen in my opinion. This is a QB league all I am saying is I believe Kyle will be able to get everything out of Flacco. I want to keep Harbaugh, but at the same time if the rest of this season goes downhill and the ravens have a subpar season next year, I wouldn't say that is out of the question.
[/quote]

What? The only head coach right now who I would say has a direct connection with how his team is playing is BB and maybe Sean Payton. How many people even knew the name of the Packers coach when they won the Super Bowl.

This is honestly the dumbest thread I have ever seen. Harbaugh took a sorry team and led us to 5 straight playoffs with a win in each won and you want to get rid of him? Do you even watch this team? Just the dumbest thread I have ever seen.

[/quote]

Did he win anything? No not even an AFC championship. A couple of division titles.....woohoo.

[quote name='Dfence4champs2052' timestamp='1355983776' post='1271416']
Did he win anything? No not even an AFC championship. A couple of division titles.....woohoo.
[/quote]

You're right. It makes perfect sense to fire the dude who coached the Ravens to a truly impressive 5 consecutive playoff berths.

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1355969634' post='1271208']
What? The only head coach right now who I would say has a direct connection with how his team is playing is BB and maybe Sean Payton. How many people even knew the name of the Packers coach when they won the Super Bowl.

This is honestly the dumbest thread I have ever seen. Harbaugh took a sorry team and led us to 5 straight playoffs with a win in each won and you want to get rid of him? Do you even watch this team? Just the dumbest thread I have ever seen.
[/quote]

I am giving Kyles name as a option. My question to you is if the ravens go to the playoffs 10 years in a row without going to a superbowl once, would you be fine with it? Andy reid has been to the playoffs a bunch of times, and to the superbowl once and lost it. All I am saying John is fortune to come into a situation like this. Their is no better leader than ray, and he is probably gone next season, reed? hall of fammer probably gone as well. I will love to see what type of coach he is after those players leave. I don't hate Harbaugh, I actually like him but at the same time i'm being realistic.

[quote name='kassaiscool' timestamp='1355990174' post='1271449']
I am giving Kyles name as a option. My question to you is if the ravens go to the playoffs 10 years in a row without going to a superbowl once, would you be fine with it? Andy reid has been to the playoffs a bunch of times, and to the superbowl once and lost it. All I am saying John is fortune to come into a situation like this. Their is no better leader than ray, and he is probably gone next season, reed? hall of fammer probably gone as well. I will love to see what type of coach he is after those players leave. I don't hate Harbaugh, I actually like him but at the same time i'm being realistic.
[/quote]

Andy Reid is being fired because the Eagles only got more talented but had two straight losing seasons. This team got significantly worse because of free agents being picked off and the players who were being paid the big bucks getting injured. The BEST players on the team Ngata Webb Ray Lewis Ed Reed Suggs have all been injured as well as the depth behind them.

Harbaugh was not fortunate at all. If he was so fortunate then why did the team before him go 5-11? It's no coincidence. Norv Turner is regarded as one of the best OC in the league but has been fired from every Head Coaching job he has had because it is a different skill set. He has gone from OC to Head Coach and back to OC I think 3 or 4 times simply because of the differences in performance.

maybe it's me, but something is weird about those Shanahan guys.
They are pretty hard core and I think we are a cool team,now that Cam out, all we need is a rockin' OC who knows how to use what he's got.
Right now, they have a world class athlete in RG3, super mobility. He's making them look great.
That should be worked on for us.

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1356039822' post='1272054']
Andy Reid is being fired because the Eagles only got more talented but had two straight losing seasons. This team got significantly worse because of free agents being picked off and the players who were being paid the big bucks getting injured. The BEST players on the team Ngata Webb Ray Lewis Ed Reed Suggs have all been injured as well as the depth behind them.

Harbaugh was not fortunate at all. If he was so fortunate then why did the team before him go 5-11? It's no coincidence. Norv Turner is regarded as one of the best OC in the league but has been fired from every Head Coaching job he has had because it is a different skill set. He has gone from OC to Head Coach and back to OC I think 3 or 4 times simply because of the differences in performance.
[/quote]

The reason why we went 5-11 was because the head coach prior had no structure. Harbaugh has some leadership skills, and it was obvious that the ravens players could care less about what billick had to say anymore. Also it was the first year of Joe flacco and rex ryan also lead the defense.

[quote name='kassaiscool' timestamp='1356043879' post='1272134']
The reason why we went 5-11 was because the head coach prior had no structure. Harbaugh has some leadership skills, and it was obvious that the ravens players could care less about what billick had to say anymore. Also it was the first year of Joe flacco and rex ryan also lead the defense.
[/quote]

Rex was the DC the year before so that's irrelevant. And you just proved my point. Harbaugh has leadership skills and that's the biggest part of a head coach besides the Superstar head coaches. Head Coaches pretty much do that, practices, and game management as well as having input with the FO. It's all different depending on organization.

The offensive and defensive play pretty much comes down to the players and coordinators. Harbaugh did stick with Cameron for a while but in his defense Cameron gave him his first job and it's probably hard to fire him unless all the blame can be put on him and not just poor performances by Flacco and the offense. Overall Harbaugh has been solid in game management besides a few slip ups but just look at other teams like the Lions or Cowboys where the coach simply throws the game.

Stop playing the blame game when one of the major factors has been poor play and injuries. The Raiders went through so many changes in coaches because they thought that was the problem when it was really just having a bad team. Stop playing the blame game and let these guys do their jobs.

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1356050959' post='1272205']
Rex was the DC the year before so that's irrelevant. And you just proved my point. Harbaugh has leadership skills and that's the biggest part of a head coach besides the Superstar head coaches. Head Coaches pretty much do that, practices, and game management as well as having input with the FO. It's all different depending on organization.

The offensive and defensive play pretty much comes down to the players and coordinators. Harbaugh did stick with Cameron for a while but in his defense Cameron gave him his first job and it's probably hard to fire him unless all the blame can be put on him and not just poor performances by Flacco and the offense. Overall Harbaugh has been solid in game management besides a few slip ups but just look at other teams like the Lions or Cowboys where the coach simply throws the game.

Stop playing the blame game when one of the major factors has been poor play and injuries. The Raiders went through so many changes in coaches because they thought that was the problem when it was really just having a bad team. Stop playing the blame game and let these guys do their jobs.
[/quote]

You say don't play the blame game while you blame injuries for the reason why we are losing.The steelers had plenty of injuries this year including to the most important position in QB. Their defense is ranked # 1. The fact that he retained Cam Cameron when everyone wanted him out set back this team another season offensively. Now the fact that hes fired Cam mid season confirms what i just said. I'm not saying fire coach Harbaugh this season or even the next, but his friendship with cam screwed the offense up.

He'd make a better coach than Harbaugh. Contextually, Harbaugh and Cam did their best job in 2010. The rest of the time, "1-2 playoff win(s)" is not something to be proud of when your roster is Super Bowl champion-level.

5 years in a row Blah, blah, blah. The glass is half empty, half full, 5 years in a row to fall short, all the while pushing down our draft spot and under achieving with better teams.

Excuses of poor clock management and when to use timeouts to get the right call on the field.

(The same AFC championship game) that he was on the cusp of winning. Not calling a timeout to set your kicker up in the most important game in his history as a coach.

Not firing Cam until three weeks left in this year.

Why can't we talk about a replacement coach with a great offensive mind? Beats a special team coach, that struggles to manage games. I'm biased though, i have never liked Harbaugh. At least not this one.

Your being very naive if you dont think he's on a hotseat. He's a player manager. Not a football coach.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1355984272' post='1271419']
You're right. It makes perfect sense to fire the dude who coached the Ravens to a truly impressive 5 consecutive playoff berths.
[/quote]

yeah, cuz I obviously said fire him. I asked if he won anything. Now back to the corner with your dunce cap.