Ravens vs. Browns      Playoff Scenarios      Game Rewind   

Photo

True fans?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Been hearing a lot of people throwing out the term "True Fan" around here lately.

Which to me begs the question, what is a true fan?

Let's not even get into Super Fans here. Those guys are on another level entirely. We aren't talking about Captain Defense, or the Ravens Maniac. I mean to talk more about the average fan.

I get that people are frustrated too, but that's no reason to call out someone's "fandom." The argument also seems to swing both ways whether you're being optomistic, pessimistic, or flat out realistic the catch et al is always, "well your just a bandwagon fan."

Now let me set the record straight here. I think the idea that there is a large group of NFL fans that just jump from team to team just sounds ridiculous. Seriously, does anyone know anyone that does this at all? I may play fantasy football, and I may like other teams (just that I don't like them when they play us.) But by no means does that mean that my opinion, positive or negative have any basis on how much of a fan I am or am not.

Furthermore, (and last I checked) it's against forum rules to really call someone's fandom into question. I think we can all agree that if you're on the site that you are a football fan. So maybe this isn't being caught by the mods, or reported enough but it starts with us reflecting on our responses a little better before posting them.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#2 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Been hearing a lot of people throwing out the term "True Fan" around here lately.

Which to me begs the question, what is a true fan?

Let's not even get into Super Fans here. Those guys are on another level entirely. We aren't talking about Captain Defense, or the Ravens Maniac. I mean to talk more about the average fan.

I get that people are frustrated too, but that's no reason to call out someone's "fandom." The argument also seems to swing both ways whether you're being optomistic, pessimistic, or flat out realistic the catch et al is always, "well your just a bandwagon fan."

Now let me set the record straight here. I think the idea that there is a large group of NFL fans that just jump from team to team just sounds ridiculous. Seriously, does anyone know anyone that does this at all? I may play fantasy football, and I may like other teams (just that I don't like them when they play us.) But by no means does that mean that my opinion, positive or negative have any basis on how much of a fan I am or am not.

Furthermore, (and last I checked) it's against forum rules to really call someone's fandom into question. I think we can all agree that if you're on the site that you are a football fan. So maybe this isn't being caught by the mods, or reported enough but it starts with us reflecting on our responses a little better before posting them.

Firstly, yes I do know bandwagon fans. It's funny to see, they are always called out for it but they don't care. I have a uncle that bounces between New England, New York Giants, and The Green Bay Packers... I'm waiting for him to buy a Texans jersey if they start doing well.

And to get to your "True Fans" concept, everyone on this board is a fan one way or another. We just have different personalities. The pessemistic fans often come off as "Fair Weather Fans" but they just want the team to do well, there's the optomistic personalities, and you mentioned. And there are people in the middle, what you called realisitic. But niether one of those people are more "True Fans" than the next, they are just different people.

z66oxxi.jpg

#3 TreTheRaven

TreTheRaven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Excellent post. Very excellent. I will not say much else, but other than this thread could be used as a learning experience for some.

We all as fans have the right to express our concern and frustration. Doesn't make us any less of a fan.

Thank you though for providing a learning thread.

Edited by TreTheRaven, 18 December 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#4 tctony

tctony

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

Some people on this forum say you aren't a fan if you have anything negative to say about the Ravens. They like to drink the "everything is fine" koolaid that Harbaugh is constantly handing out.

GO RAVENS!

Posted Image

#5 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,028 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

good post Dude. however, i let no one question my "fanhood." i've poured too much money into buying tickets, hotel rooms, gas and food to drive up from Chesapeake, VA to baltimore for 3 home games a year. i have purchased waaaay too much Ravens gear (i.e. 5 coats, numerous hats and caps, gloves, pajama pants, shirts, jerseys, socks, clocks, watches, trash cans, lamps, pictures, scarfs, blankets, rain coats, pillows etc.) to allow anyone to make me feel that i'm not a fan. they are my team! i cheer them when they do well...and i smoke them when they play poorly. why? because i want them to win! i see their potential and i want to see them achieve it. they are my team! i am a Ravens fan! period!

~Mili

Edited by Militant X 1, 18 December 2012 - 04:42 PM.

@Mili

mili1.png

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"

- Aristole

#6 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

To me a fan is a person that has an almost investment in the team and is competitive by nature and wants to win every game no matter what and when we lose the fans feels it. You invest your time, emotions and money to show your loyalty to your team. And when your team fails it hurts bad. Of course you want to win so you point out what is wrong in your mind whether it be good or bad at the time it makes sense to you.

You get very upset with a loss and want to point out what or who went wrong and almost need to have it fixed. For me when i see the same mistakes week after week of course it is obvious to me as i blow things way out of proportion but do not think i am at the time. I just want to see a win and improvement NOW. LOL

That to me is a true fan. You hurt when the team loses, you want a win every week and when you do not get the win it is actually painful. I may be a bit obsessed but i do mean well i promise.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#7 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Good post man! I remember the Boller days.... Ugh.
Banned

#8 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Good post man! I remember the Boller days.... Ugh.

Ackkkkkkkkk !! horrible memories. Poor Todd Heap.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#9 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Ackkkkkkkkk !! horrible memories. Poor Todd Heap.

Yeah it cost Todd another 3-4 years in the NFl.

#10 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

True fan cares about the team. You are not here just as fan of a single player... But the whole team.

You stick with the team through thick and thin, and you never give up on the team.

That is a true fan.

#11 TT_05_Stang

TT_05_Stang

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

A true fan, is one who sticks with the their faltering(bad) team, and enjoys the beast mode times...

I was a Redskins fan, until '96. However I had to support the local team. We all came from some other team, and now the Ravens are ours.

back when 9 points or less would win a game, or when 30+ can not. When you have to roll into work on Monday or Tuesday and face steeler fans, or skins fans, and you still defend your team. When you have that sinking feeling that they will lose, but the moment you wake up on Sunday your fired up, because you have faith they will win.

When you wear your Jersey into work on Friday, even though you lost the past 3 games. When after a heartbreaking turnover , you still get loud for our defense.

Just a few things that make you a true fan... to me...

#12 PurpleCorsair

PurpleCorsair

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Some people on this forum say you aren't a fan if you have anything negative to say about the Ravens. They like to drink the "everything is fine" koolaid that Harbaugh is constantly handing out.

Quite the contrary. True fans are ones who stay at the blowout loss in the rain because they love their team. True fans can criticize or praise the Ravens without being irrationally fatalist or optimistic. True fans get upset because they know this team's potential and see it, week in and week out, fall well short of that potential.

I'd love to say we all love the Ravens, but when you see posters wishing for failure just to prove a point is where I personally start questioning their fandom.

#13 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Fine post, Dude. Real fine post.

~ Cosmic

:th_thKumbiyah:

WE RAISE OUR HEAVY GLASS TO YOU IN OUR INDESTRUCTIBLE DAYS
login.png
MAY HEAVENS CALL TO YOU, MAY STARS ALIGN AND LIGHT YOUR WAY

#14 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

True Fans criticize their team to other Ravens fans and defend those same players and coaches when some other team says anything bad. It's like being a brother; "Dude, Ed Reed is slacking" "Yeah he is". But when it's other team " watch your mouth, that's a hall of fame safety!"

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#15 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

So if you still have confidence in your team, you drink the "everything is fine" koolaid?

And no, its actually not that some people say you aren't a true fan if you say something negative about the Ravens. Its the way some people say it. "Oh i'm done watching this team" or "This team freaking sucks" or the best one, "Why don't we just lose out, and go 1 and out in the playoffs, so we can get a higher draft pick?". THAT in my opinion, makes you not a true fan.

Not saying you said those things, but i did see them in the game-day thread.

Edited by bauer77, 18 December 2012 - 09:01 PM.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#16 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

True Fans criticize their team to other Ravens fans and defend those same players and coaches when some other team says anything bad. It's like being a brother; "Dude, Ed Reed is slacking" "Yeah he is". But when it's other team " watch your mouth, that's a hall of fame safety!"

Lol, exactly. Ain't nobody allowed to talk about our boys but us.

#17 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

The only thing I'm tired of is the "fire so-and-so" discussions. If it were up to some people, we wouldn't see anyone on this roster here next year.

~ Cosmic

WE RAISE OUR HEAVY GLASS TO YOU IN OUR INDESTRUCTIBLE DAYS
login.png
MAY HEAVENS CALL TO YOU, MAY STARS ALIGN AND LIGHT YOUR WAY

#18 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:45 PM

I like all the replies, and in my best Mr. Burns all I can say is excellent.... :D

When I think about it true fans still wear their colors no matter what. Just for the record, I think if you're even wearing purple and black then you're in pretty good company to me. At least whenever I tailgate everyone is super friendly. Now I did go the the Eagles game this year, and their own fans were fighting each other...after they won, so talk about stupid. Anyways I digress....

I also don't think it's really fair to question someone's fanhood based on their comments, but I have also found it easy to do. I have done it before, and I am not totally proud of it in hindsight, I was just upset that i couldn't change their minds.

So yeah, all in all it's a lesson to learn that sometimes you just got to let it go. No sense of taking someone's comments personally. In fact some trolls are just dying to get a rise out of someone.

Edited by Dudeman, 18 December 2012 - 11:46 PM.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#19 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

Cheering when ANY Raven gets hurt.
NOT a fan.

K-Dog

You DO NOT know more than any coach in the NFL.  You simply do not.

#20 Desert

Desert

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

I am so glad I read this whole thread. It made me realize as "A Raven's Fan" I should appreciate what this team has accomplished this year and in the past four.

I always take very much pride in wearing any purple and black, especially in the past few years when we have consistently proved many in the media wrong.

Win or lose the rest of the year it has been a bumpy ride, with Ray Lewis, Suggs , and Webb out of the picture I thought we were done. Somehow we have made it to the playoff's once again, and for that I am happy.

It has been nice at work , surrounded by Steeler's fans not hearing them most of the year, They all predicted last winter we would be in last place in the division by now after seeing our 2012 schedule.

So with that all I can say is I Love My Team, GO RAVENS!!!!

Desert