Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] How Week 16 Shapes AFC Playoff Picture

51 posts in this topic

Baltimore has been eliminated from a first-round bye, but certain scenarios will further affect seeding.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/How-Week-16-Shapes-AFC-Playoff-Picture/f493477d-687a-4a96-86a3-f8a1ea195415]View the full article[/url]

going to the playoffs for the 5th straight year. gotta love it. all we have to do is get a little better and healthier and who knows what could happen.

Getting better and healthier is two things that are almost impossible to accomplish in a span of precisely 2.5 weeks.

we will beat the giants this week. mark my words. cinci will also beat pittsburgh which will make the week 17 game between us and cinci pointless... the wild card games will be
ravens vs colts
pats vs bungles
we and the pats will win making us go to houston and the pats to denver..
we will get payback on houston. just watch. and new will upset denver.

basically we need to beat the Colts & Texans in order to get to the superbowl... Lets just get healthy and worry about that later

now this i like positive stories . I would walk to houston to watch us spank them like new england did .

RAVENS vs PAGS for round 1!
We get the ship headed in the right direction this week with a win over the Gmen and finsish strong with a quality win over a divisional foe. THis moves us into RD 1 with a very winnable game over a good yound team (colts)

That sets us up with a 3 game win streak over three quality teams and we should get healthier each week. We have a chance to turn this around is a very big way! Looks similar to what the Giants did last season!

getting ray and ellerbe back is going to really help on the defensive side of the ball. and nobody wants joe's play to improve more than Joe. I am confident that he can turn it around.

[quote name='edreedfor6' timestamp='1355862085' post='1269613']
we will beat the giants this week. mark my words. cinci will also beat pittsburgh which will make the week 17 game between us and cinci pointless... the wild card games will be
ravens vs colts
pats vs bungles
we and the pats will win making us go to houston and the pats to denver..
we will get payback on houston. just watch. and new will upset denver.
[/quote]That game WILL NOT be POINTLESS (if it happens that way). We'll be fighting for home game. Go Pitt, beat Cincy. Go Ravens!!! :)

Good God...so hard to believe we were once in prime position to take the 1st seed..and after the Texans buttwhooping, still take the 2nd seed. I hate to admit, but critics of the Ravens might be right...we got lucky, and our luck streak ended. Even when Webb was in, we were still failing to separate ourselves as an elite team. Joe Flacco, you better wake up, or youll be dropped. You're playing for a contract extension, and to be frank, you arent living up to it. I say put in Tyrod Taylor if we lose against the Giants...just to see how he plays.

We need a 3rd qb and the new one needs to be a real ace who can lead this team all-the-way!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='drillem' timestamp='1355865872' post='1269740']
Flacco will have to play more than one good game in a row. That's a tough one.
[/quote] nah its not he did that for the first half of the year are you a new fan who has no clue what the record was before the three losses cause you missed allot .

Its all on Flacco!! Hit your receivers...and hopefully they will catch it for you. And for god sakes it is ok for you to gain yards by running out of the pocket.

We might finally see that fire in joe that we've all been waiting for. Joe is going to have to take command of this offense recognize situations to make the best decisions and play good football. His lineman will have to give him time and ray rice will have to be able to be productive at least 100 all purpose yds minimum.If not this team may not recover and will be facing a makover in the offseason. Joe has to know that it's all on him. He's got to be on the front line getting this offense on track.

"That game WILL NOT be POINTLESS (if it happens that way). We'll be fighting for home game. Go Pitt, beat Cincy. Go Ravens!!!" it would even if cinci beat us we would still have a better division record and conference record

Let's wrap up the division against the Giants so that the week 17 Bengals matchup means nothing and we can rest our starters then. We wouldn't move in playoff seeding so it could effectively be our own bye week.

All this if this and if that stuff is giving me a headache ....Just go in there and play Ravens football and win both games and let the chips fall where they may... And no, I'm not Insane... It's called Wishful thinking, but it's not Impossible.."LOL" ! It's just easier this way, right???

If we end up losing the AFC North to the Bengals, we may as well sign off on the season and start looking to next season. If it ends in such terrible fashion I want some changes particularly at positions where we have glaring weaknesses.....

[quote name='12thmandynasty' timestamp='1355867962' post='1269800']
We might finally see that fire in joe that we've all been waiting for. Joe is going to have to take command of this offense recognize situations to make the best decisions and play good football. His lineman will have to give him time and ray rice will have to be able to be productive at least 100 all purpose yds minimum.If not this team may not recover and will be facing a makover in the offseason. Joe has to know that it's all on him. He's got to be on the front line getting this offense on track.
[/quote]I know you are trying to be optimistic, but seriously you may as well wish I would outrun Usain Bolt in the sprints....

To much like rite to win the Division and get a bye week! I think they like their backs against the wall and now they Better Come Out The Corner Fighting! The Ravens can beat the brakes off all those teams pictured above! Gotta Move the Pocket!

Could this be a possible playoff scenario???

We all know that the Squeelers are going to beat the Bungles cuz the Bungles have not beat Pittsburgh (especially in Pittsburgh) in a trillion years. If PITT beats CINCY and we LOSE to NYG then we will be 1 game ahead of both PITT and CINCY. PITT will have the tiebreaker over CINCY.

Since we already clinched a playoff birth shouldn't we let the Bungles beat us in week 17??? That way we ELIMINATE the squealers from the playoffs automatically.

If we beat the NYG this Sunday, I would definitely do what I stated above just to get back at the Squeelers and see them OUT of the playoff picture for good. I would throw the SQUEELER CURSE right back at them by letting a team purposely beat us just to see them out of the race. (we could very well give it our all and still walk away losers in week 17 since the Bungles are no pushover).

This is just a thought. I know our #1 goal right now is to be AFC North champs, and then win the SB. This is the reason why the NYG game is soooo important for us, cuz if we win WE GET TO DECIDE who will be the other team from the AFC North that will go to the playoffs.

Nothing will give me more satisfaction than to see the Squeelers out of business during the month of January. Obviously the only thing that would give me more satisfaction is to see the Ravens (Ray, Ray, ED, and company) hoist the Lombardi trophy in who dat nation.

Shaky ,this is a case inwhich i wish our week against the Giants wasn't moved to 4:15 so this way we could see what the steelers and bengals do first,obviously i rather win no matter this week However i also do not want to Play at Heinz Field if we lose both Games either.

my thing this week i expect to see are the following
1.all our wrs utilized if torrey is out with a concussion give laquan a shot hes a fast wr as well.
2.shifting in the line put Mckinnie in there and stop being cheap
3.go with 3-4 wr sets we dont ever do this and it kills me with the guys we have
4.Ray rice on screens with good blocking eventually it will lead to huge Gains
5.the No Huddle im one of Flacco's critics here ,yet he states hes better in the No Huddle so let him do it and if he fails at it then hes run out of excuses period.
6.time of possesion has killed us all year long we need to win that one this week
7.and lastly better coverage from the defense by the safeties and better Middle coverage i felt ihadegbo lol misspelled played better then Pollard in coverage because Manning went up the Middle only a few times ,Pollard is good at stopping the run and thats it,so we need to use the correct packages.

We do most of these things or all we will turn our season around as guys get healthy

I'd like to point out a few things.

The next win clinches us the division. If we beat the Giants, the Bengals game is completely irrelevant to us. The Colts are going to lock up the 5 seed this weekend, and we can pretty much only get the 4 or the 6 seed.

We couldn't play Pittsburgh or Cincinnati in the first round of the playoffs under either scenario. If we are the 4, we host Indianapolis. If we finish with the 6, we will be playing in Denver or NE.

In fact, I believe there is no possible way we would face Cincinnati or Pittsburgh in the playoffs before the AFC title game. So I don't really care which one of those teams gets in.

Shaky End of the Quarter...

Under your scenario, Pittsburgh wins the division, and we finish with the 6th seed. If Pittsburgh beats both Cincy and Cleveland, and we lose to both NYG and Cincy, the Steelers take the division. So not only does your scenario not work, it backfires completely.

Our Ravens are very lucky to be in the playoffs. We need to play hard and try to "win" the division no matter what else occurs. This team has pride&tradition on it's side. Fair weather fans are spoiled by rarely seeing home losses so we must ignore the doomsdayers and root harder FOR "our" team in this season of injuries. Joe Flacco is as elite as his offensive line let's him be.Face it our O-line can keep our defense off the field "we" don't need Eli riddling our injury depleted defense. I'm tired of Cary Williams pointing to everybody when his man scores a TD. See ya Cary we'll survive without you and the boo birds.

IMHO if we can get healthy, we can be a very scary team to play. Ray Lewis, D Ellerbe, B Pollard, Ed Reed ,( he had the flu) J Smith, M. Yanda, T Smith,T Suggs . Get well for the Playoffs.
That injury list looks like a pro bowl team.

Did I miss something? Did we suddenly get a pass rush, and a new QB? Well, at least we can blame Cam. Oh, that's right he's gone...hmmm. Ok, maybe Flacco got an early Christmas present..."pocket awareness". Ah, I'll just go with Harbs on the "hope and change" train.

The Ravens are done for the season,4 and out hopefully 1 playoff game as a Wild Card, we'll just have to wait for next year however if you believe in MIRACLES which I don't the Ravens can still pull out the biggest surprise since the Ravens moved to Baltimore.

hey Popeye the Sailor, there were a lot of Giant fans last year saying the same thing. Also a lot of Green Bay fnas in 2010 crying how they were gonna lose the rest of their games. Have some faith. We can do this.

Just a question: Is there any way we would have to play the Bengals twice in a row AT Cincinnati?

[quote name='TheRavengers' timestamp='1355882082' post='1270086']
Just win the last 2 games with no casualties and all can be forgiven. I hope.
[/quote]

I'll take a win this week - then week 17 will mean nothing. Rest the injured - that's the best case scenario.

[quote name='sami' timestamp='1355888777' post='1270216']
hey Popeye the Sailor, there were a lot of Giant fans last year saying the same thing. Also a lot of Green Bay fnas in 2010 crying how they were gonna lose the rest of their games. Have some faith. We can do this.

Just a question: Is there any way we would have to play the Bengals twice in a row AT Cincinnati?
[/quote]

Yes, there is a way we'd play 2 times in a row at Cincinnati. Here's how that could happen

Week 16:
@KC over IND
NYG over @BAL
CIN over @PIT

Week 17:
HOU over @IND
@CIN over BAL

A bigger worry - is if all of the above happens, except IND wins @KC. Then the loser of our game will end up going to DEN or more likely NE.

Translation is - the game this weekend is BIG. We need to seal the North NOW and rest the weary and injured in week 17.

Weren't we "road warriors" last time we went to the Super Bowl? Our only home game was our first and we stomped the Broncos. Then we went on the road for 3 games to get the ring.

Everyone needs to chill out! It's been done before.

People are wonder if w can win the super bowl my answer is yes my question is why should we not.The is the reason we play this game.I hate comparing teams but lets go way back to maybe 2007 against Spittsburgh you look back at the last five years and you can see how really really close we were to the show. lastly look at the team we are playing Sunday two out of three years with low winning numbers still won the super bowl. All we need is this dam monkey off our back, a break, a win, something I really thought we were going to dedicate this year to the passing to Art was going to inspire this team and from the start it did now it feels like the roof have fallen in on this team and the fans sometimes we hate the team we hat the players we hate the coaches heck we hate each others comments, even myself but if you look at the real picture what we need to do is pray for this team not for games not for a ring but for the to get healthy. We need the Ravens more then they need us. we are not thankful sometimes not for what we had but what we have. We have to go way way back to understand why we are here. When we lost our colts we were in pain for 12 to 13 years we were watching every team but ours we even got a second class team called the Generals then we name them the Baltimore STARS We may not had a N.F.L team but we had something and most of all we had eachother. and even when we lost which was not many we felt like winners. Now we have a team A TOP OF THE LINE TEAM A WINNER WHICH HAD THE BEST DEFENSE IN THE TOP TEN FOR 16 STRAIGHT YEARS,look at us now why are we here complaining Baltimore please tell me this? why are we here?we have a winning team but when you really look at the big picture we are not the winners but our team is. that is why they are banged up they are banged up for all those years trying to please the people OF BALTIMORE CITY Maryland. some of you might think I am preaching may i am maybe i am not but it is still up to us fans to help this team and helping this team is to stop putting anyone down just a little for right now they dont need this they need us in there corner lets act like real fans and start acting like real fans anybody can come to the games if you dont go somebody else will even from out of town .So i would put on my thinking cap and look at myself before I start looking at this team to complain.we are Ravens fans not coaches owners if we were we could not handle what is going on lets be whowe are. be what we are and act like it We are Ravens fans with pride Art Modell give that back to us 16 years agolets take back our team lets stick together. back this team win or lose.through thick and thin lets all go home a pray for a healthier team and thank God that we have a team and thank God that this team keeps us togetherI love true Ravens fans i can not stand unfaithful fans lets stop the bleeding yall it stops NOW. GOOD NIGHT. And may God bless you ALL.

The Ravens always "turn it up a notch" when the playoffs roll around!

I trust that they will again this year too.

Get on a roll ... and put some razzle, dazzle pepper-jelly on it!!!

Go Ravens ... I know it can be done!

blah blah blah we are in so that means we have to be dealt with! I'm just getting ready for this loooong playoff run, Lets Go Ravens!

I wouldn't sat the Ravens turn it up a notch in the playoffs Norway, I'd say they start playing 100% then.
Fans may not like it but it's hard to argue this year right?

[quote name='drillem' timestamp='1355865770' post='1269736']
We need a 3rd qb and the new one needs to be a real ace who can lead this team all-the-way!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]
yeah that makes sense lol

[quote name='sami' timestamp='1355888777' post='1270216']

[/quote]
Ravens would be an away wild card team with two losses. Cincy of course would be winning their last two....

If Indy loses out, then Cincy would leap frog Indy to the 4 seed....

With Indy and Ravens both having identical 9-7 records... Ravens would be 5th seed and indeed play again in Cincy...

Hope this helps

Where are Rex and the JETS! Can't believe so called fans are dissing Harbaugh! Carefull lest you get a joker for a coach and not a five time winner like Harbs! Yes, the IN GAME decision making must improve but, CMON Man, five playoffs in a row! Lay off Harbs and Joe for heavens sake!

Harbaugh won because he was handed a great team. Every year he seems to find a way to lose. Five times to the playoffs in spite of him.