41 replies to this topic

#1 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

We need to decide if we are an offensive or defensive team and make the changes accordingly. We cannot survive in the NFL with both sides being mediocre. During this next draft we will need to either go pure defense and NOT trade down Oz. Or we go all offense and protect fragile Joe. Either the defense needs to carry Joe or needs to carry the game and he does not have it in him to do so for a full season. I doubt he can do it for 4 games.

In any case we need to decide on what we are, either a strong defense or a strong offense. This middle of the road crap is not going to get us anywhere but out in the first round of the play offs.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#2 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

I think that's fairly obvious. We don't even have an offense that can help the team be a balanced team.

I'd load up on the front 7 and the Oline and turn the offense into one like Houston that relies on the run to generate easy completions off the PA. Schaub would get murdered if he sat back and threw the ball 35 times in conventional shotgun formations. And really, Houston is a team that shows you how easy you can transform a defensive unit from being god awful to extremely tough with a good DC and 2 good drafts.

The coaching is just as important, if not more so.

Edited by Bltravens, 18 December 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#3 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,275 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

I totally agree that we need to decide either we go all out offensively or defensively; evidently, we are competitively in the playoff in the past 5 year due to our strong defense; however, we need a boost offensively to push us to the ultimate goal.

My suggestion is we need to spend our first top 3 pick on our O-line and the rest spent on our defense. No more WR draft crap.

Again, we need to load it up on our O-line and defense next year draft and the following year.......

Edited by AsianRice, 18 December 2012 - 03:04 PM.

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#4 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

I want smash mouth football... Defense that is feared again... and a qb that won't show more drive to catch an int returner down the sideline rather than get out of a sack and/or fumble. I would rather rebuild our downlineman (oline and dline) and start over with a new qb and scheme and start from scratch... if we miss the playoffs then we will have higher picks to work with and I would take a few year of down time for a ring over just making the playoffs and getting sent home every year. Especailly if they expand the playoff teams like Roger G wants. Don't get me wrong winning the Division is great but we this year haven't deserved it and this year shows that we need to rebuild and can't rely on luck all year to get by. Tme for a new beginning and start with the trenches and work out. Because working with the qb and WR is not getting us over the hump.

#5 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,275 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

I want smash mouth football... Defense that is feared again... and a qb that won't show more drive to catch an int returner down the sideline rather than get out of a sack and/or fumble. I would rather rebuild our downlineman (oline and dline) and start over with a new qb and scheme and start from scratch... if we miss the playoffs then we will have higher picks to work with and I would take a few year of down time for a ring over just making the playoffs and getting sent home every year. Especailly if they expand the playoff teams like Roger G wants. Don't get me wrong winning the Division is great but we this year haven't deserved it and this year shows that we need to rebuild and can't rely on luck all year to get by. Tme for a new beginning and start with the trenches and work out. Because working with the qb and WR is not getting us over the hump.

Joe is like Matt Shaub who really needs a strong running game to support his passing game. He just can't take over the game like Rogers, Manning and others elite.
With our old system of smashed-mouth football, Joe is our best option.

I hope we focus on O-line and defense the next year and in the future.....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#6 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

I think that's fairly obvious. We don't even have an offense that can help the team be a balanced team.

I'd load up on the front 7 and the Oline and turn the offense into one like Houston that relies on the run to generate easy completions off the PA. Schaub would get murdered if he sat back and threw the ball 35 times in conventional shotgun formations. And really, Houston is a team that shows you how easy you can transform a defensive unit from being god awful to extremely tough with a good DC and 2 good drafts.

The coaching is just as important, if not more so.

To say that we should strengthen our trenches isn't novel. Simply put if we had dominant lines... we'd win more games. Maybe if we sign Jake Long... there's a couple LTs on the market next year

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#7 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

To say that we should strengthen our trenches isn't novel. Simply put if we had dominant lines... we'd win more games. Maybe if we sign Jake Long... there's a couple LTs on the market next year

My contention wasn't to only just strengthen the lines, but to take more control out of Flacco's hands and to put it into the backs. Pierce should be getting 10 carries every game, Rice at least 20. I'd have the scheme never letting Flacco throw over 25 in an ideal game, with the majority of the passes coming off PA.

#8 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

My contention wasn't to only just strengthen the lines, but to take more control out of Flacco's hands and to put it into the backs. Pierce should be getting 10 carries every game, Rice at least 20. I'd have the scheme never letting Flacco throw over 25 in an ideal game, with the majority of the passes coming off PA.

I think 25-35 with play action and screens. Then again if we got receivers who could get open we'd be a lot better off too.

Basically if we had a better team we'd have more production.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#9 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

We do need to keep Joe in a comfort zone or he will self implode. Do not expect him to carry the team but to be a supporting cast member to a win.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#10 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Actually I hope Oz and the front office doesn't choose just offense or just defense. We need balance, and we need to be one of the most balanced teams in the league.

I think our drafts have been leaning towards offense lately though, and I would love to move up and take a top 10 defensive talent in the teens.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#11 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

If i were in charge of player personnel I would spend all of my draft picks on Lineman (Both Offense and Defense) until they were dominant. Football is won in the trenches. A good offensive line can make an average runningback/quarterback look great (Shaun Alexander/Philip Rivers)

z66oxxi.jpg

#12 big hits and ball hawks

big hits and ball hawks

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

My vote is for a great offense and a great defense. We can have both. As far as the draft goes, the priority should be the O or D line. If we can get a proven LT in FA then defense is the bigger priority as far as our higher picks. Then we look at LB, S, and possibly CB. Of course, the FO will probably do BPA. As long as they meet the needs with BPA then I'm fine with that.

I have high hopes for next year, but I still have high hopes this year. I get that we need to win these next two games to build momentum, and I know all the other reasons why I shouldn't be optimistic, but we're in the playoffs this year and I'm not giving up on this year.

#13 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Give me the negs, but I really think identity is overrated. Why do we have to chose? Just win games, and I'm happy. That said, going forward, I would like to see us grab more play makers on both sides of the ball. We have plenty of solid players who can step in and get it done, which is pretty good, but as the play makers that we once had begin to fade, we have to draft others.

That's what were missing right now: superstars

Edited by RavensAllTheWay, 18 December 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#14 Blackbird11

Blackbird11

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

Yeah, I totally agree with RavensAllTheWay ^. Our problem, I think, with our defense now is that we are overrating our talent. Now that Ray and Ed are nearing retirement, we need another (though I wouldn't mind a few) superstar, not just a solid player, but a legitimate superstar. We have Haloti and Suggs, which is great, and Webb now too, but we really need that new stud linebacker or pass rusher. In my opinion, a lot of are defensive players are just solidly above average, not great. For instance, I like Upshaw a lot and I think that he'll grow into a solid player, but that's basically it: a solid player. We need the next Suggs.

#15 JoeCool#5

JoeCool#5

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

Two things really need to happen in order for the offense to truly become the focal point of the team.
1) Create an offensive system consisting of more rubs, crossing patterns and use of the middle of the field which will allow separation for its WRs, thanks to its schemes.
2) Most importantly, have an OLine can consistently win the battle at the line of scrimmage, creating solid running lanes, better pass protection, eliminate or reduce the holding calls.

Until then the Ravens will always be a defense first team, regardless of who your QB or RB is. <scratch that, unless Ozzie get some once in a lifetime player like Barry Sanders who could do amazing things even without an o-line>

9 playoff wins
3 AFC Championship game appearances
1 AFC Championship
1 Super Bowl Title
1 Super Bowl MVP

Give the kid a running game and the world is his oyster. 

#16 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

Joe is like Matt Shaub who really needs a strong running game to support his passing game. He just can't take over the game like Rogers, Manning and others elite.

i

i love the idea but we need to have cap to sign them... and signing Joe to the deal he will ask for and if he tests the market with teams in desperate need we will lose out on good lineman. Also we would be forced to probably release Boldin and after watching Torrey and Joe work together do anyone believe that will be our #1 wr.

#17 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Fans will be fans. smh My god we've had a minor hiccup in the road and some of you guys act like we're the Jags or Chiefs. News flash we've been to the tourney the last four seasons. Joe put the team on HIS BACK in the AFC championship game just a year ago. We should've been in the superbowl (not Joe's fault one bit).

Our o-line and d-line need HELP! Our offensive line on a good day is mediocre and our front four provides NO PRESSURE what so ever w/out a healthy suggs.

It all starts up front, if you can't pressure ANY NFL Qb they'll pick you apart. If you can't keep your QB clean he can't get the ball to his weapons. Simple. The season is not over yet. We have 2 more games left (not including ANOTHER playoff game) and we have ourselves another winning season. Be patient

bleed P U R P L E!

#18 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

We need to decide if we are an offensive or defensive team and make the changes accordingly. We cannot survive in the NFL with both sides being mediocre. During this next draft we will need to either go pure defense and NOT trade down Oz. Or we go all offense and protect fragile Joe. Either the defense needs to carry Joe or needs to carry the game and he does not have it in him to do so for a full season. I doubt he can do it for 4 games.

In any case we need to decide on what we are, either a strong defense or a strong offense. This middle of the road crap is not going to get us anywhere but out in the first round of the play offs.

"fragile joe" funny.. Because he's started & played in every game thus far in his 4+ year career.

bleed P U R P L E!

#19 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:46 AM

After one game with a new OC we are going to judge him......
Give him a new system and then we will talk.... Flacco is Brees 2.0+6(for inches taller than Brees)
Banned

#20 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,275 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

After one game with a new OC we are going to judge him......
Give him a new system and then we will talk.... Flacco is Brees 2.0+6(for inches taller than Brees)

Great QB starts with pro-bowl O-line; without it, you can see Manning was almost out of his career and Brady once too. He has been judged ever since he becomes Ravens QB, so it's nothing new. However, I want to see what Flacco can do with our strong O-line like 09.....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users