126 replies to this topic

#1 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,864 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

So.. Before the season I was listening to the fan.. It was mentioned by Rob Long, Vinny Cerrato and G-Unit that Ngata looked fat and out of shape. In fact, Cerrato went as far as to say that Ngata would be the "star" on defense that would be the biggest disappointment this year. He mentioned that, he would be plagued by injuries. Mostly, due to the fact of his shear size and lack of conditioning.

This season, I've made it a major point to watch this guy VERY CLOSE. It seems he's almost turned off the drive to perform. He'll show up some games... but mostly, hes hand fighting and not trying to be involved in plays. I know from his college days, the knock on Haloti was that he took plays off and seemed to lack motivation. Now that he's gotten his truck load of cash.. Is this the end of a dominant player? Is there a chance this guy just disappears from here on out? Have we already seen Ngata's best football behind him? I remember this guy getting doubled and still beating his assignment, this year..? Forget that. Generally, if he makes a splash play its a coverage sack or a blown assignment from the Oline.

Does this guy dedicate himself in the offseason to revive that All-Pro form? I didnt buy his argument of saying he picked up weight to be stronger later in the year... In fact, even after "getting healthy" hes failed to make much of an impact. Lets look at yesterdays game... He didnt have a solo tackle. He had 1 ASSIST! Are you kidding me? Even Cody had a tackle and 2 assists.

So, does anyone else see his decline like I do? It seems people dont like to talk about it becasue of his previous greatness.. Lets be real though.. This guy has done a BAD job this season.

#2 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,714 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

I didn't think about his conditioning so much, but Ngata's performance is irrelevant. Unless you can find a trade for him, we're stuck with that contract.

#3 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

He definitely has a bad season, just like Suggs in 09; my guess is Haloti will bounce back to pro-bowl form next year. Again, he is defintely not playing like the used-to-be Haloti Ngata.....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#4 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,864 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

He definitely has a bad season, just like Suggs in 09; my guess is Haloti will bounce back to pro-bowl form next year. Again, he is defintely not playing like the used-to-be Haloti Ngata.....

I agree. It seems like we've been plagued by bad seasons or unfortunate issues after signing guys. Here's a few examples of bad season after a contract:

Suggs ( balloned to near 3bills and wasnt a factor)
Ngata ( 350-60lbs going into camp, hampered by injuries)
Rice ( Hes played lower then his standard this year, didnt come to camp on-time)
Webb ( guy is a beast, but went down with a knee)

#5 Twistidfunk

Twistidfunk

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

I didn't think Ngata did a whole lot last season outside of week 1 against Pitt.

Grossly overpaid IMO and he really has not had much impact this season. I think his best game was probably the Charger game.

He is more of an "occupier" now than a playmaker.

Edited by Twistidfunk, 17 December 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#6 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,864 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

I just look at Wilfork, and I see how this guy CONSISTENTLY has great seasons, and is ALWAYS a force.

#7 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

We need to move him to NT, flat out.

#8 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

We need to move him to NT, flat out.

That wouldn't solve anything, we'd just leave a whole wherever he was on the Dline

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#9 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

I noticed it as well. He would go a long way in helping stop the bleeding of not being able to stop the opponents run games right up the middle and if double teamed would free up Kruger or Upshaw to get more pressure at times. I was not sure if he was still playing hurt or not. But if he is just calling it in then we are in trouble. We will have to eat the money and have another Mckinnie on our hands for a few years to come.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#10 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,759 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

That wouldn't solve anything, we'd just leave a whole wherever he was on the Dline

I meant in the future. We have young guys who can play the DE spot decently well right now in Jones and Tyson, but we are trotting out absolute garbage at the NT spot. Since we need help on the Dline and Ngata doesn't really play like a DE I think it would be to the defense's benefit to move Ngata to NT in the future.

#11 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

I meant in the future. We have young guys who can play the DE spot decently well right now in Jones and Tyson, but we are trotting out absolute garbage at the NT spot. Since we need help on the Dline and Ngata doesn't really play like a DE I think it would be to the defense's benefit to move Ngata to NT in the future.

That's understandable then. But I'd rather find a pure NT and move Ngata around

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#12 CalvinSmoke

CalvinSmoke

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

I didn't think Ngata did a whole lot last season outside of week 1 against Pitt.

Grossly overpaid IMO and he really has not had much impact this season. I think his best game was probably the Charger game.

He is more of an "occupier" now than a playmaker.

He has been pretty invisibile for the past 2-3 years. I will never forget in the New England game last year, Gronkowski blocked/drove Ngata by himself down in the redzone. He even exclaimed after the play "I blocked him!"

I'm hoping he shows up again, but he hasn't lately.

z66oxxi.jpg

#13 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,864 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

He has been pretty invisibile for the past 2-3 years. I will never forget in the New England game last year, Gronkowski blocked/drove Ngata by himself down in the redzone. He even exclaimed after the play "I blocked him!"

I'm hoping he shows up again, but he hasn't lately.

I remember this as well. Basically, this guy needs to wake up and smell the roses. He says all the time about how Ray Lewis is a hero to him. Just for one offseason, TRAIN with Ray Lewis and actually BE the best Dlineman in the game.
When does Clarence Brooks get added to the hot seat? His unit has played WELL below expectations!

#14 Jillester

Jillester

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Haloti had a few good plays against the Skins where he penetrated their OL to get to RGIII. He caught up with RGIII on a run. I've witnessed him chasing down opponents. BUT...yesterday he looked like a dancing bear. His consistency is lacking.

That which does not kill me... will be the basis for my revenge.

#15 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

This will sound a bit strange, but i think the entire team has the Super Bowl hangover effect. Now they didn't win it obviously, so i'm not sure you can calll it that.

My reason for saying that is, this team seems to have the We were one drop from the Super Bowl mentality. It seems like they are just going through the motions of the regular season, thinking the playoffs is a given. It's like everyone is waiting to prove themselves in the AFC Championship Game again.

The defense, even before all the injuries wern't play great ball. Webb's claim of best Secondary in the NFL fell way short and even before his injury, he wasn't playing like he did last year.

Under Harbs, this team is usually very well disciplined, but this year, they are among the league leaders in penalties. Guys like Cody, McPhee and McClain didn't take that next step like the FO thought. Even a guy with the consistency of Yanda, seems to have a lot of unimpressive performances this year.

I think Kevin Bryne's article last week really hinted to this. These guys thought they were gonna roll through this season and it hasn't happened that way. Well it's gut check time now, for all players and coaches. This is the time you either prov you are what you say you are or you prove to be what everyone thinks you are.

My apologies for going so far off the topic of Ngata.

mj5v69.jpg

#16 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,864 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

I just rewatched the play where Ed Reed got beat over the middle .. Followed by the run by Moreno , right up the middle. Ngata was line up at NT and got pushed all the to the left guard ... Openig a HUGE hole for the RB to walk in to the endzone.

#17 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

This will sound a bit strange, but i think the entire team has the Super Bowl hangover effect. Now they didn't win it obviously, so i'm not sure you can calll it that.

My reason for saying that is, this team seems to have the We were one drop from the Super Bowl mentality. It seems like they are just going through the motions of the regular season, thinking the playoffs is a given. It's like everyone is waiting to prove themselves in the AFC Championship Game again.

The defense, even before all the injuries wern't play great ball. Webb's claim of best Secondary in the NFL fell way short and even before his injury, he wasn't playing like he did last year.

Under Harbs, this team is usually very well disciplined, but this year, they are among the league leaders in penalties. Guys like Cody, McPhee and McClain didn't take that next step like the FO thought. Even a guy with the consistency of Yanda, seems to have a lot of unimpressive performances this year.

I think Kevin Bryne's article last week really hinted to this. These guys thought they were gonna roll through this season and it hasn't happened that way. Well it's gut check time now, for all players and coaches. This is the time you either prov you are what you say you are or you prove to be what everyone thinks you are.

My apologies for going so far off the topic of Ngata.

Not strange at all. I said Cam has held Joe back soo much, that he has regressed him back to near rookie form!
Banned

#18 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,989 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Not strange at all. I said Cam has held Joe back soo much, that he has regressed him back to near rookie form!

Yea Cam held Joe back and actually the scheme and design of the offense wasn't bad at all yesterday, but Flacco has to work harder towards staying consistent with his fundamentals. Flacco has regressed and Caldwell needs to harp on him staying true to his mechanics and that will solve a lot of his accuracy issues.

Getting back to the whole ngata thing. I think he definitely needs to step up. Yea he's injured, but i'm not sure that's what's causing his decline in play. I don't think Ngata is a long term problem, like someone else mentioned, it's like Suggs in 09'.

Maybe his personal life is an issue as well. Having a young baby at home is tough. I'm not sure what the issue is, but if he can turn it on with a healthy Ray and maybe Suggs, the Defense might be strong enough to get it done in the playoff. Despite the score i thought the defense played well against Denver

mj5v69.jpg

#19 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Yea Cam held Joe back and actually the scheme and design of the offense wasn't bad at all yesterday, but Flacco has to work harder towards staying consistent with his fundamentals. Flacco has regressed and Caldwell needs to harp on him staying true to his mechanics and that will solve a lot of his accuracy issues.

Getting back to the whole ngata thing. I think he definitely needs to step up. Yea he's injured, but i'm not sure that's what's causing his decline in play. I don't think Ngata is a long term problem, like someone else mentioned, it's like Suggs in 09'.

Maybe his personal life is an issue as well. Having a young baby at home is tough. I'm not sure what the issue is, but if he can turn it on with a healthy Ray and maybe Suggs, the Defense might be strong enough to get it done in the playoff. Despite the score i thought the defense played well against Denver

They only gave up three TD's!.
Injuries are hurting everyone! We need another capable DT in the draft (see Irrev mock 4). Anyway.... I agree generally, Ngata is a beast, but has regressed. I think that the scheme is the problem. That scheme.. Zone coverage as well, is holding everyone back, Thats the only thing I hate bout Pees
Banned

#20 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

I think he is disappointed by the play of those around him. Remember when he was interviewed early on in the season and said it was said he seemed frustrated with how Cody was not giving any effort. He is probably demoralized from the fact that he will blow up double teams only to see the rest of the guys struggle to break free of 1 on 1 matchups.

Sometimes lack of effort from the team brings you down as well. We have been lucky to have the post-season success we have had but it seems all the losses are heartbreaking coming down to dropped passes, missing field goals, letting up on big plays, and blowing leads. That has to take a toll emotionally on a player especially when everything comes crashing down after being so close the past four years.

Edited by dhstandard, 17 December 2012 - 10:45 PM.

2yno6dx.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users