Ravens at Texans      Roster      Game Rewind   

Photo

If you had input with Ozzie what would your recommendations be for next years team?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

If I could have Ozzie's ear regarding what direction I think the team should go next year. I would make these suggestions.

1. Sign Flacco to slightly abouve average qb money. (Preferably around the 11-14 million dollar range on par with Roethlisberger but below the elites).

2. Release Bobbie Williams, Jimmy Smith, Ed Dickson, and McKinnie. (That would free up money to invest in a few other areas)

3. With the money saved by not paying Flacco top qb money should be enough to get Ed Reed signed for the next 3 years. ( I want him to retire a raven and his salary should hurt the team and we will offer him more than any other team will while being fair to him).

4. Ray Lewis and Matt Birk will most likely retire at the end of the year. ( this will free up salary cap room that can help may Flacco and Ed Reed's contract not put us up against the cap).

5. Do not offer a contract to Cary Williams. ( teams just continue to pick on him, he makes some plays but always gives up a td or gets a pass interference every game). The two guys playing are okay especially the cb #24 Graham has really impressed me as a #2 cb and is under contract I believe for at least another year.

6. With regards to free agency I think we should target Dwayne Bowe or Mike Wallace as our #1 WR. (I love Anquan Boldin but his lack of speed on the outside keeps too many men near the line of scrimmage). If we were to release him we would only have to spend another million or two to get either player. Both of them would increase our speed and make our offense a lot more dynamic. I would prefer Bowe over Wallace because he's a more dangerous redzone performer.

7. With regards to the draft I think we should try and tade up to get around picks 13-17 in the first round. We badly need a DE who can cause havoc to other teams. ( That will free up Suggs, Ngata, and a few other players to maintain an effective pass rush).

8. I think we could keep our current Defensive Coordinator for another year. He started off rough but with all of our injuries the team holds it's own against some potent offenses. ( I think we should switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 especially if we can draft a pass rushing DE. I would put Suggs on the line as an every down DE for a majority of games in the 4-3 alongside Ngata).

9. For the money we paid Bobbie Williams and Mckinnie we should be able to upgrade our left guard spot and get someone who will be around for a while that's durable. I think we're set with Oher, Yanda, and Osemele. Gradkowski hopefully can develop into a good center for us. If we shore up our o-line we may not have to get rid of Boldin. Or it might make us even more dynamic by doing both.

10. Sign an offensive coordinator who understands his roster and the other teams roster. He should be able to make in game adjustments, especially at half time. I hate how we can predict what our offense is going to run 80% of the time. ( Leach is in their running, Leach subbed out passing) Every team we play seems to be able to get 4-6 yards on quick hitting plays that we can't seem to get when we're on offense). we don't need a big name just someone who understands offense and knows how to create specific game plans vs whatever defense we're playing that week.

If we did all or most of these moves we would have enough cap and flexibility to improve our teams weaknesses. ( O-line, and pass rush).

What would you do? Do you agree with any of my recommendations or do I need to take a breather and relax lol?

post-53455-0-40820000-1365601474_thumb.j

#2 ravensfan2430

ravensfan2430

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

See if Cam is available. LOL
GO Ravens!!

#3 ravens88

ravens88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

dont agree on Jimmy smith at all

#4 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

I pretty much agree with most of what you've said except the cutting of Jimmy Smith and Ed Dickson. There is really no salary-cap reason focutting Ed as he isn't making that much, even as a 3rd rounder. Jimmy has only been in the league two years, we won't give up on a first round pick that quickly. No need to worry about Cary, he decided his future when he turned down that extension at the beginning of the year. Here are my top 3 points of emphasis...

1. Franchise tag Joe Flacco. This allows you to properly evaluate him in what will be only his second offensive system in the league, while also putting him on notice that it is now or never since the old blood will all be washed away by then (see #2).

2. Overhaul the offensive system. Put Caldwell
back to QB coach, find a west coast type offensive coordinator who can understand the type of personnel he has and even accept input on what they can do the best. Fire Andy Moeller and bring in a new o-line coach (still shaking my head on how NO ONE on these forums ever seems to mention how Matsko was made a scapegoat after the '10 season, both facets of blocking have been hands down worse since Moeller took over in '11. Not coincidentally, the highest our offense ever ranked in the Air Coryell era was in '09, due in large part to excellent technique and effort).

3. Focus free agency and high draft picks on the trenches. We need some blue chip guys on both sides that will not disappear in (or get pushed around) games.

#5 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

dont agree on Jimmy smith at all

What has he done? He's benn hurt most of his first two years with us. He doesn't start and whenever he's on the field qb's go at him and get completions. He has the worst hips of cb I've seen. He tries to be really aggressive which causes him to get killed on double moves. If you're not releasing we should defnitely restructure his deal. He's getting paid starting cb money and as of right now he's not playing like a starting cb before or after his injuries.

#6 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

I stop reading at Jimmy Smith thing; 1st round pick with great potential hit with a release? are you kidding?
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#7 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

I pretty much agree with most of what you've said except the cutting of Jimmy Smith and Ed Dickson. There is really no salary-cap reason focutting Ed as he isn't making that much, even as a 3rd rounder. Jimmy has only been in the league two years, we won't give up on a first round pick that quickly. No need to worry about Cary, he decided his future when he turned down that extension at the beginning of the year. Here are my top 3 points of emphasis...

1. Franchise tag Joe Flacco. This allows you to properly evaluate him in what will be only his second offensive system in the league, while also putting him on notice that it is now or never since the old blood will all be washed away by then (see #2).

2. Overhaul the offensive system. Put Caldwell
back to QB coach, find a west coast type offensive coordinator who can understand the type of personnel he has and even accept input on what they can do the best. Fire Andy Moeller and bring in a new o-line coach (still shaking my head on how NO ONE on these forums ever seems to mention how Matsko was made a scapegoat after the '10 season, both facets of blocking have been hands down worse since Moeller took over in '11. Not coincidentally, the highest our offense ever ranked in the Air Coryell era was in '09, due in large part to excellent technique and effort).

3. Focus free agency and high draft picks on the trenches. We need some blue chip guys on both sides that will not disappear in (or get pushed around) games.

The franchis tag will be really expensive for a QB it would kill our cap I think you try to get him signed for a 11-14 million a year deal wih a decent signing bonus that way if after a year or two he continues to regress we could cut our losses without it killing our cap. I may be harsh with Jimmy but he was on the field for three plays. One was special teams and the other two as a cb. peyton went at him 2 straight times with completions. As soon as he went off the field #24 and #39 kept the wr they were guarding at bay.

#8 ravens88

ravens88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

What has he done? He's benn hurt most of his first two years with us. He doesn't start and whenever he's on the field qb's go at him and get completions. He has the worst hips of cb I've seen. He tries to be really aggressive which causes him to get killed on double moves. If you're not releasing we should defnitely restructure his deal. He's getting paid starting cb money and as of right now he's not playing like a starting cb before or after his injuries.

as someone else has said he has had little time to even play with injury which can be concerning his play is that of a second year player one that has had 1 offseason training camp. Corner is one of the most difficult positions to play. not only that but you say to free up money he is on the second year of his rookie deal he is a small fraction of our salary cap. you also say dont pay cary so now we have webb graham cykie brown i like graham but theres no depth id rather keep a promising second year CB than make that roster move. does smith need to work on his weaknesses? absolutely but theres a bigger picture than giving up on someone that quick with that much ability, thats my opinion. i agree on alot of things you say but this one i strongly disagree on.

#9 BmoreLuv

BmoreLuv

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

See if Cam is available. LOL

As in Cam Newton I'll take him!!

#10 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

as someone else has said he has had little time to even play with injury which can be concerning his play is that of a second year player one that has had 1 offseason training camp. Corner is one of the most difficult positions to play. not only that but you say to free up money he is on the second year of his rookie deal he is a small fraction of our salary cap. you also say dont pay cary so now we have webb graham cykie brown i like graham but theres no depth id rather keep a promising second year CB than make that roster move. does smith need to work on his weaknesses? absolutely but theres a bigger picture than giving up on someone that quick with that much ability, thats my opinion. i agree on alot of things you say but this one i strongly disagree on.

I could be jumping the gun with Jimmy but everything about that game yesterday got me mad. I was at the game watching him. If he's injured next year or has to miss games he has to released he'll never learn the game from practice and training camp he needs to be on the field and he can't get on the field that's whats frustrating me regarding him. He played very well during the playoffs for us last year and I had high hopes for him. this year I've been more impressed with Cary. Although I still don't think Cary is worth big money for a cb.

#11 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

The franchis tag will be really expensive for a QB it would kill our cap I think you try to get him signed for a 11-14 million a year deal wih a decent signing bonus that way if after a year or two he continues to regress we could cut our losses without it killing our cap. I may be harsh with Jimmy but he was on the field for three plays. One was special teams and the other two as a cb. peyton went at him 2 straight times with completions. As soon as he went off the field #24 and #39 kept the wr they were guarding at bay.

You're right that franchising Flacco would put us in a tighter spot, but honestly, if I'm Steve or Ozzie, I don't see another option apart from letting him walk. In my opinion, Cam should have been gone after '10 (I know he didn't "drop the pass" etc etc but the signs were there throughout that season that this was what the future of the Cameron offense held) but they both stepped back and deferred to Harbs and his friendship with Cam (the only true flaw I have consistently seen in Harbs IMO other than the occassional clock mismanagement) and let this go on for almost two more full seasons. We could have had two seasons of Flacco, Rice, and company in a new system that perhaps isnt, oh I dunno, OUTDATED and it would have made sense from a long-term financial standpoint. You can probably look up threads from after we lost to Pittsburgh in the playoffs that year and see posts of mine saying that it made since for the teams' financial future to go ahead and get rid of Cam so we can figure out who exactly we want to lock up long term.

Now I've been a Flacco supporter since day 1 and unlike many here, I still support him right now. But the entire offense isn't inspiring anyone over the last 4 games and its not going to change THIS season anyway. Since the front office waited so long to pull the plug on Air Coryell, they really don't know what in the heck we have with Flacco. He has proven over and over that he can be clutch and at the same time he has had us sighing in disbelief many other times. I guess all I'm saying is, since it took so long to get to this point, were it my money I would be hesitant to sign Joe to any sort of long term deal, hence my reasoning from my original post. Sorry for posting so much, thanks for reading it all if you do, haha...

Edited by Corvus, 17 December 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#12 Latch

Latch

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

PUT IN TYROD!!! FLACCO IS A WASTE!!!

just kidding.

agree with everything except for cutting jimmy. Signing mike wallace is a little dangerous. watching him play sometimes he comes up big and other times he chokes. as for the draft, o-line/wr is our biggest priority. maybe a lb, but probably not.

#13 ravens88

ravens88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

I could be jumping the gun with Jimmy but everything about that game yesterday got me mad. I was at the game watching him. If he's injured next year or has to miss games he has to released he'll never learn the game from practice and training camp he needs to be on the field and he can't get on the field that's whats frustrating me regarding him. He played very well during the playoffs for us last year and I had high hopes for him. this year I've been more impressed with Cary. Although I still don't think Cary is worth big money for a cb.

I agree he cant keep getting hurt its affecting the team and his development especially he hasnt done anything this year that has impressed me but i think he will need time to develop as most players do to early to cut him. Cary will not be here next year i dont think, someone will pay him more than we offer and good for him. anothr point you have made is Mckinnie he will be gone for sure he getting 2 mil this year and harbaugh seems ademate that he wont see the field unless we lose a OT to injury. Flacco's contract is first in the offseason list i think he demands 10-12mill avg with incentives raising that number. either way this offseason will be a tough one with Ed and flacco's contracts especially with how everyone seems to be under performing most of the year.

#14 VA_Fan

VA_Fan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Me: Hey Oz..might want to keep this within reaching distance.

Posted Image

Oz: Thanks

#15 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

And this is why I'm glad most of you do not have input with Ozzie.

#16 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Too many extremes.

1. I like Caldwell and he could make an excellent OC in time but Flacco will be heading into his 6th year and can't wait for that. This isn't a rookie QB starting with a new OC. Flacco needs someone who has been an OC for years and is good at it. Nothing against Caldwell but time is an issue here.

2. Sign Flacco for low end money around 11-13 mil.

3. Re-Sign Ed with the money Ray Lewis and Birk will leave.

4. Re-Sign Kruger This guy is a beast as a rotational pass rusher and will be a great 3rd down guy with Upshaw playing the first 2. Just pray Suggs is healthy.

5. Draft a solid DE/NT. Maybe a guy like Jesse Willams if he falls. He and Ngata will be a force on the D-line. Give Ngata a tough working guy to believe in so he tries every play.

6. O-Line. We NEED a Left Tackle. Give Gino the starting job at Center switch Oher to right tackle and Osemele to left guard. I don't care if we can't get a top flight LT any solid guy on the market will do.

Oh and last but not least. Apologize to whatever football gods we angered that plagued us with so many injuries.

Edited by dhstandard, 17 December 2012 - 10:58 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#17 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Fix the OL and DL. All our problems go away.

Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)

Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP

Farewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!

If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#18 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Let's be sure to focus on impact players, we don't just need bodies, that's what we have now

#19 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,936 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

1. Franchise tag Flacco and listen to offers for trades. But mainly this is to give him one more year before we give him a long term contract. Gives him another year to try and break out/show up.

2. Release Bobbie Williams and McKinnie.

3. Let Ed Reed walk

4. Ray Lewis will be back, Birk probably will retire

5. Let Cary test market, sign him if financially reasonable.

6. With regards to free agency, build up the trenches.

7. I am all for trading up to get a knock out player in the first round. Who is 2013's JJ Watt?!?!

8. Unless the Panthers fire Riviera or any other D Coord is available, keep Pees

9. LT is the priority, we can groom a guard easier than we can find a franchise LT. Main priority in free agency is LT and Pass rush (interior).

10. There will be some fired coaches to take a look at for filling our OC position.

My opinion.

Edited by Alexir, 17 December 2012 - 11:26 PM.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#20 Fang

Fang

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:31 PM

- I don't agree with letting both Cary Williams and Jimmy Smith go. I'd like to keep both of them.
- Trading up in the 1st round sounds good, but at what cost?
- Ed Reed for 3 more years. That sounds like a stretch for a guy who doesn't tackle much anymore.
- The best suggeston was to sign an offensive coordinator.