Ravens-Saints Gameday      LISTEN LIVE      You Pick The Team      Kickoff Week   

Photo

Ravens Spirit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

I think one thing that is generally well accepted is the notion that Baltimore area fans are pretty sports saavy. We know our sports, and I have visited a lot of sports towns. I can confidently say we know say we know what we like, what we see, and what's going on.

Even in a win we complain about the bad football played within the game. The moments that the ball didn't go our way, or the refs blow a call. Things that are really out of the players control. Even win we lose, we find moments to be proud of like when Leach pancacked Casey Hampton in the last Steelers match.

I also feel that generally speaking the Ravens are still a good team, with a bright future, loads of talent, promise, upside, etc. But these guys need to get on the same page. Harbaugh always preaches playing tough, disciplined, fundamental football. Yet some of the fundamentals have been lacking, and the team isn't showing a lot of discipline. I think Joe is trying to do too much, and Boldin/Rice can help carry this team. Joe was much better as Average Joe, Joe Cool, you know the guy who didn't try to do everything on his own. Not this other guy the media keeps saying has something to prove about being elite. You know what? Sometimes the offense just needs to stay on the field for good things to happen! The elite don't worry about proving it, they just do everything they can to linger on the field. Eventually the defense tires and makes a mistake, and there is a ton of hidden yardage to be found in penalties. Those aren't things that go into recording "elite" stats either.

Furthermore, why aren't we blitzing behind Ngata more? Seems Bynes isn't a bad blitzing LB, and you can blitz runs too. Rice should be featured heavily on all areas of the field, like the Eagles used to do with Westbrook. I like Pierce a whole lot too, but never at the expense of leaning heavily on Rice. We were much better with a run first mentality, and getting caught up in trends has a way of backfiring when the pendulum swings.

So where was I going with this, and where does this all lead? Basically, what I mostly want is to see a spirited game. I want to see good effort, and smart football. Smart calls, and crisp execution. Let's pick back up the lunch pail, drop the diva, "Oh woe is me crap." and get back to work!

Edited by Dudeman, 16 December 2012 - 11:59 PM.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#2 poedacrow

poedacrow

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:58 AM

A few years back we went 9-7 and one of those losses was to the Peyton Manning led Colts. 17-15 something like that. Entirely different scenario here with Manning returning to give us this drubbing.

I guess that team from a few years ago just "feels" like it was a better team. That game was one of those "good efforts, smart football games with smart calls" and while we didn't win it I felt really good about how we played as a team. This year when we were 8-3 I knew in my heart we had problems as a football team. Too many um.."ugly wins" coupled with even uglier losses.

I too like the talent on this team now. I'm really fond of Bernard Pierce. He along with RR, Vonta Leach make an excellent trio and I wonder why we don't live off those guys like in the old days.

I'm not sure if this is statistically Flacco's worst year but it might be his most inconsistent. I remember a four int outing against Cincy a while back but this is the longest stretch of bad or mediocre games I can recall.

But we are in the playoffs and I hope the guys do bring their lunch pails and get back to work (lunch pail thing makes me think about JJ)

I Hope we see some inspired football from here on out as well.

Edited by poedacrow, 17 December 2012 - 02:58 AM.

"It wasn't perfect, it wasn't pretty but it was us."

#3 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:47 AM

Great post my friend.

#4 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

I think one thing that is generally well accepted is the notion that Baltimore area fans are pretty sports saavy. We know our sports, and I have visited a lot of sports towns. I can confidently say we know say we know what we like, what we see, and what's going on.

Even in a win we complain about the bad football played within the game. The moments that the ball didn't go our way, or the refs blow a call. Things that are really out of the players control. Even win we lose, we find moments to be proud of like when Leach pancacked Casey Hampton in the last Steelers match.

I also feel that generally speaking the Ravens are still a good team, with a bright future, loads of talent, promise, upside, etc. But these guys need to get on the same page. Harbaugh always preaches playing tough, disciplined, fundamental football. Yet some of the fundamentals have been lacking, and the team isn't showing a lot of discipline. I think Joe is trying to do too much, and Boldin/Rice can help carry this team. Joe was much better as Average Joe, Joe Cool, you know the guy who didn't try to do everything on his own. Not this other guy the media keeps saying has something to prove about being elite. You know what? Sometimes the offense just needs to stay on the field for good things to happen! The elite don't worry about proving it, they just do everything they can to linger on the field. Eventually the defense tires and makes a mistake, and there is a ton of hidden yardage to be found in penalties. Those aren't things that go into recording "elite" stats either.

Furthermore, why aren't we blitzing behind Ngata more? Seems Bynes isn't a bad blitzing LB, and you can blitz runs too. Rice should be featured heavily on all areas of the field, like the Eagles used to do with Westbrook. I like Pierce a whole lot too, but never at the expense of leaning heavily on Rice. We were much better with a run first mentality, and getting caught up in trends has a way of backfiring when the pendulum swings.

So where was I going with this, and where does this all lead? Basically, what I mostly want is to see a spirited game. I want to see good effort, and smart football. Smart calls, and crisp execution. Let's pick back up the lunch pail, drop the diva, "Oh woe is me crap." and get back to work!

Well said.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#5 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

A few years back we went 9-7 and one of those losses was to the Peyton Manning led Colts. 17-15 something like that. Entirely different scenario here with Manning returning to give us this drubbing.

I guess that team from a few years ago just "feels" like it was a better team. That game was one of those "good efforts, smart football games with smart calls" and while we didn't win it I felt really good about how we played as a team. This year when we were 8-3 I knew in my heart we had problems as a football team. Too many um.."ugly wins" coupled with even uglier losses.

I too like the talent on this team now. I'm really fond of Bernard Pierce. He along with RR, Vonta Leach make an excellent trio and I wonder why we don't live off those guys like in the old days.

I'm not sure if this is statistically Flacco's worst year but it might be his most inconsistent. I remember a four int outing against Cincy a while back but this is the longest stretch of bad or mediocre games I can recall.

But we are in the playoffs and I hope the guys do bring their lunch pails and get back to work (lunch pail thing makes me think about JJ)

I Hope we see some inspired football from here on out as well.

Inspired was the word I was searching for when I was writing this post. Inspired, spirited, relentless, driven, etc.

I also think about JJ when I think about players with blue collar attitudes. I was also thinking about Sandra Bullock as Oher's mom in the Blind Side calling the coach, "Just run the dang ball Bert!!"

Seems rather elementry to me. Run the football!! You eliminate so many of those drop back and throw a pick or take a sack situations by just choosing to run.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users