76 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

While Baltimore is focused on what Caldwell should do, here’s what he should avoid.

View the full article

#2 Mystigo_Dragon

Mystigo_Dragon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,248 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

As Eisenberg correctly pointed out, number 1 is give Rice more touches!

I say take that farther and give Rice, Bernard Pierce and Vonte Leach more touches, early, to batter the Bronco defensive front and make the play-action a realistic threat of run!

It begins there!

Edited by Mystigo_Dragon, 15 December 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#3 JoeSoHard

JoeSoHard

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

if its not in shotgun, Play Action. Run a stretch play action play and hit a home run to Jones or Smith. We gotta get creative if were gonna win these next few games. Joes comfortable now and has the monkey off his back that is Cam Cameron. Lets see what we got offense, maybe Laquan Williams or Deonte Thompson would be able to get some snaps?!

#4 axisofeeble

axisofeeble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Seam route for Pitta?....before Miller hits Flacco from the Blind Side. Wheel route for Rice?...before Elvis strip sacks Joe. Fake bubble screen to Torrey, quick hitter to Jones. after Peyton lights up Cary Williams. Quick screen to Leach more than twice. With Caldwell joining Pees in the press box I'm sure Joe can use all "our" time outs way before the last two minutes so we dion't have a choice with 29 seconds left tied in the 4th quarter. Defensive injuries without adequate replacements are endangering the Ravens playoff hopes. Where is Sergio Kindle? I hope I'm wrong but Caldwell doesn't strike me as an imaginative born OC anymore than Cam did. We should have rode out the rest of this season with Cam(who I didn't like at all and I'm glad is finally gone but) and tried to hire Andy Ried as OC after the Eagles fire him. Andy is an offensive genius.

#5 reed20fence

reed20fence

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Do teams win when their runningbacks get more touches, or do runningbacks get more touches because their teams are winning? I always take the touches argument with a grain of salt because the circumstance dictates the number of touches.

It's already been said by people much more intelligent than I, but bears repeating. If Caldwell lives up to his claim to "just improve by that much" we'll be fine. Cam proved he was capable of working off of a foundation built for success, now all we need is for Caldwell to through in some more aggressive situational playcalling to carry us over that hump and win those close games.

#6 ravenpic

ravenpic

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Caldwell calls the shots now. Play calling is a Chess match. Go with what works. Run and shotgun.

#7 raven5286

raven5286

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

I would be surprised if he puts Tyrod Taylor in the wildcat. If that happens and it works and we get first downs or decent yardage, then New York Jets "that is how the wildcat should be executed".

#8 TorryGundy

TorryGundy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

Dont be predictable. We have so many versitile players. Ray can line up as a HB and motion into a SE. Vonte can go from FB to HB to TE, Pitta can be a TE or a WR. WE have to take a page from the Redskins. THey run multiple plays with the same personell. They rund, option, roll out, pass , screen and you can not tell which is which. IF we com out in 22 personel and Peirce was in, we ran or play action. Single back with rice, we passed. Double te , we ran. In those same formations we have so many more options. Calwell is smart. We will not be as predictable.

#9 Guest_D3x3001_*

Guest_D3x3001_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

That's not exactly rocket science. Of course we can't afford to turn the ball over. Peyton has no problem driving 8o yards, so why on earth would we want to make his job any easier? Let's go out there, keep the ball in our hands, and nab a few interceptions while we're at it.

#10 pchaz102

pchaz102

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

The turnovers that the Ravens have committed aren't from vicious hits from the opponent. They have been caused by breakdowns in the offense. Joe or any other QB in the league would fumble if his receivers don't get open and the offensive line can't sustain their blocks. There is a system flaw that has caused the turnovers. The changes you SHOULD see against the Bronco's? Pass routes designed to run away from the defenders and not into their coverage. Receivers open sooner will account for Joe getting rid of the ball sooner and seeing more RAC yards by those catching the ball. Another addition will be Ray Rice getting 25 carries and at least five receptions. One does not take over a position from a colleague and make the same mistakes. You should also see a faster paced no huddle that keeps defenders on the field and slows down the pass rush. Lastly, in his fifth year at QB, Joe knows the playbook. Caldwell should allow him to play football and audible into any play that the personnel and formation would allow. We all know Cameron didn't let Joe have any options for audibles. These changes should demonstrate an offense with rhythm that moves downhill with significant chunks of yardage per play. Oh, and fewer turnovers.

#11 axisofeeble

axisofeeble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

No excuses like Cam's play calling now. It's all on Joe and recognition at the line of scrimage to carry out Caldwell's plan. Cam's gone and now we see if Joe is talented enough to overcome a tweaked game plan. Check off to the run Joe,don't try to make a homerun out of a sacrifice . Throw it away you are playing for maybe your last chance at a big contract wherever you land.Our O-line is young and can run block,use'em.

#12 ravenwildman

ravenwildman

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

John hit the nail on the head. If not for the turn overs last week the score would have been a 6 plus difference (Minus one field goal for them, plus one field goal for us). It would have never gone to OT.

This time, no receivers open or pocket collapsing....run Joe run! or throw it away. Someone should remind Flacco that when he hears the home crowd screaming something like AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! somebody is coming. lol

GO RAVENS!

Edited by ravenwildman, 15 December 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#13 axisofeeble

axisofeeble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Ah! Play action The D-fense would need to fear the run for that to work. Torrey is getting better but his route running needs work. A possession reciever like Boldin might flourish if Torrey can occupy Champ Baily and Tandon Doss over the middle will be wide open if Joe has time. How about a 5 wide look with Williams,Reed,Doss Or Boldin,Torrey&Jones spreading out the vaunted Denver defense out of empty shotgun roll out? Quick run&shoot type plays.(heh-heh) Sorry I thought Cam was still here.

#14 Mystigo_Dragon

Mystigo_Dragon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,248 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

When the sack is eminent, let the home crowd do a Forrest Gump-ish: "THROW IT AWAY, JOE, THROW IT AWAY"!

#15 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

If we are talking about things to avoid on offense, worse than the turnovers is the stupid penalties. The illegal formation, holding penalties, and especially the contant false starts are killing way too many drives.

#16 Purple Dawg 96

Purple Dawg 96

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

It must be NICE, to get the Keys to such a NICE Ride! My advice to Caldwell is "DONT WRECK IT"! Lol! The Ride got alot of Power and it Corners very well! It will be like taking off the Restrictor Plate!

#17 You gets Ngata

You gets Ngata

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

Does Anquan go to the slot with Jacoby and Torrey outside? More pitta? More screens and pick plays?
To me Joe needs to get that automatic three yard completion down pat....I never saw Cam running comeback routes or slants....always deep routes. Can't wait to see the Caldwell offense.

#18 You gets Ngata

You gets Ngata

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

I also remember how at the start of the season we had the no huddle going and then...none.
This fear to push too fast in the no huddle (they we should run more!)...that won't be the case now...expect us to push, push, the pace. Expect more interesting effective lineups....just noticing matchups and sets and what you call...wow it is going to be night and day.

#19 axisofeeble

axisofeeble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Only 13 turnovers-- I guess losing two in a row magnifies Joe's last 4. How many take aways? How many 3rd down conversions againt our defense OOPS! How many 3rd down conversions for Joe&Co.? And yes I remember 4th&29. The Ravens could easily be 6-7 with great replacement ref call going our in Patriot game,Dez dropping the 2 pointer and Ray's miracle on 4th down. Reality Raven world, we might back into the playoffs and even get a home game but Caldwell can't make Sergio an on the field defensive demon or make DeAngelo Tyson into Elvis Dumbervil or Courtney Upshaw into Von Miller. Face it we are winging it and it just might not be our year Cam or no Cam.

#20 axisofeeble

axisofeeble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Peyton ain't Charlie Batch. The Bronco "D" ain't the Redskins. Good Luck Joe, if Ray can't run it's going to be a long day watching pro-bowl corner Champ blanket Torrey and punch bowl corner Cary Williams chasing Thomas&Decker into the end zone. This is not a good week for Caldwell to debute as OC for the Ravens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users