23 replies to this topic

#1 Slim

Slim

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

Hello everyone, I am one of those who say that Ray Lewis, even though he lost a step, still can lead the defense to great accomplishements and can make big plays with his experience, work ethic on and off the field and desire to win.

And If there is something we needed against the redskins' pistol offense last sunday and Manning's offense this week, it sure is a play recognition master, I think Ray does that pretty well.

I chose two plays I wanted to share with you from last sunday where our Inside Linebackers were very late which led to the defense giving up some big plays (On 280 yards passing, we gave up 150 down the middle, usually between our inside LB's and our safeties where the space I thought was too big) Hopefully they'll do a better job this week against Peyton Manning who I think has the best play action fake in the game.

1st play

Looked like we were lining up in a sort of cover 4 with our Nickel back Graham in man to man with the slot receiver Santana Moss, Ayanbadejo and McClain at ILB's
Posted Image

As the play goes and RG3 executes his play action, the two LB's are attacking the run which is understandable but watch Corey Graham looking at the ball, at this moment, Moss knows he's going to take advantage since the three of them are going to leave the middle of the field opened.
Posted Image

Now Graham knows its PASS, so do Jameel and Brendon who are trying to get back to their middle zone pass reads, Graham is going give up this play because he paid too much attention the play action.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Keep your mind as clear as a polished mirror.

#2 Slim

Slim

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

2nd play

On this play, another play action, this time the full back is going to run a streak between the ILB's. On defense looked like a cover 3 with Corners and Reed covering the deep, McLellan and Pollard covering flat curl zones and Bynes and McClain on short middle pass reads
Posted Image

This time again, the play action worked out pretty well and as they haven't re-attacked yet, the fullback is almost on the same line.
Posted Image

He had two steps on Bynes at the end, easy completion, Reed made the tackle.
Posted Image

From this angle
Posted Image

Ed is so deep we don't see him on this picture, but Garçon is one fast man...
Posted Image

#3 Slim

Slim

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Last play

This play is the pass to Garçon that RG3 made on one leg, I was very surprised by the space between the Linebackers and the secondary when the pass was thrown (2nd picture). But I have to give him credit for throwing it on one leg between 4 defenders...
Posted Image

No one left in Cary's zone, could've helped his safety and stick with Garçon
Posted Image

Posted Image

I trust this team so bad, and I'm sure we'll get things fixed for the playoffs, but the LB's played a little poorly last week that's why it is my concern for this weekend. I hope all of you guys are doing great ! Have a great end of the week !!! Oh here's a little bonus :-) this is the failed 3rd down conv in overtime where Joe took 3 yards scrambling.

Rice was wide open !
Posted Image

GO RAVENS !

I apologize again, I hope the page isn't too slow to load with all the pictures, I try not to put too much so it's easier for you guys to read.

Slim.

Edited by Slim, 13 December 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#4 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,075 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Another great post, Slim.

Another way Ray can help and something Mod 2 has pointed out all week is that Ray Lewis was screaming out "Screen!" on the sidelines before our D, apparently oblivious, got wrecked by it.
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#5 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,632 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hey man, have you sent your resume to the Ravens yet ?

Great post AGAIN.
Rays knowledge is what keeps him in the game.
Wile he was super quick and hit real hard, lots of people can do that. His football IQ is what has this 37 year old still highl effective on the field.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#6 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,191 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

Excellent analysis slim.

#7 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,123 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

I love these. I know alot about football but I always learn something new from one of your breakdowns lol. It's really helping me understand some things better, so thanks!

And no doubt will our defense play smarter when Rays playing. Also more intense/motivated.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#8 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

People like to criticize the scheme for those "wide open" guys "uncovered" in the middle of the field, but I think it's apparent through this analysis that once again, personnel is the problem, not the scheme.

Damn, our linebackers suck in coverage. We need Ellerbe back.

#9 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,410 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

Slim Joes passed the los there. He can no longer pass forward.

It's clear the defense was told to key in on play action. be different this week though.

#10 Slim

Slim

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

Slim Joes passed the los there. He can no longer pass forward.

It's clear the defense was told to key in on play action. be different this week though.

It was 3rd and 6 at Baltimore 29 yards line, on the picture looks to me Flacco is around the 23 and Rice just crossed the 25. Joe could've passed forward. but hey, it's not easy to see for Joe I guess, he ran out of the pocket like he was chased by tigers and probably thought he was chased from behind at this moment.

Have a great day

Slim

Edited by Slim, 14 December 2012 - 04:10 AM.

#11 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,410 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

It was 3rd and 6 at Baltimore 29 yards line, on the picture looks to me Flacco is around the 23 and Rice just crossed the 25. Joe could've passed forward. but hey, it's not easy to see for Joe I guess, he ran out of the pocket like he was chased by tigers and probably thought he was chased from behind at this moment.

Have a great day

Slim

he'd still get flagged being ahead of los. They may huddle and over rule the flag but if they don't you can't blame them uno cause he was ahead of the line.

What that pic shows more is how badly beat the line was. They are all 5 6 yards behind original los.

#12 Tank 92

Tank 92

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

Have a great day

Slim

he'd still get flagged being ahead of los. They may huddle and over rule the flag but if they don't you can't blame them uno cause he was ahead of the line.

What that pic shows more is how badly beat the line was. They are all 5 6 yards behind original los.

I remember this play. Even though it looks as though RR was open, Joe had already committed to running and the D was pursuing. A little deceiving.

The previous panes are an excellent illustration of just how much Ray/Ellerbe are needed. Ray's insight and abilities to read plays far outweigh any liabilities due to declining physical tools. Ellerbe has really grasped the challenge, performed well and has provided an excellent alternative. With both down we were left in deep poo.

I know it's a far reach, but if Ray plays this week it may just provide enough of an improvement to get some stops when needed. Not some huge turn around, but at least be there to provide the needed leadership. Heck, with Ellerbe out I'd feel better if Ray were just standing in the middle of the field wearing street clothes directing the D. We really can't expect much going to a 3rd alternative on the depth chart. Not because of lack of football skills, but more so the intangibles and field generalship.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#13 Twistidfunk

Twistidfunk

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thanks Slim, nice post! With this defense so decimated, I am not sure how we can overcome the personel on the field right now. It is what we got. We can scheme all we want but if you don't have the players to run it, not sure what we can do.

#14 display name

display name

Ravenous Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

Ray has knowledge and motivational value, that's about it.
He was terrible at getting of blocks. Will he be an improvement? Maybe, but not by much.

The Raven, on 03 January 2012 - 05:24 PM said:
"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

#15 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,525 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

class is in session. another great post Slim.

~Mili

Militant X 1

mili1.png

"I AM THE RENEGADE.....I HAVE NO EQUALS!"

- MX1

#16 Tank 92

Tank 92

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Ray has knowledge and motivational value, that's about it.
He was terrible at getting of blocks. Will he be an improvement? Maybe, but not by much.

I respectfully disagree. With Ellerbe out Ray would be a HUGE improvement. Not much value in shedding blocks if your D as a whole is lost in their assignments.

#17 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Anyone else think even a declining Ray Lewis would have nailed Cousins prior to the goal line on the 2 point conversion ?

#18 Slim

Slim

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

Anyone else think even a declining Ray Lewis would have nailed Cousins prior to the goal line on the 2 point conversion ?

Great point ! I don't know if he would have nailed Cousins but Ray is so smart, he knows how to read linemen so well that he might have had reconized the play. I guess we'll never know :-)

#19 jimmypowder

jimmypowder

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Ray would have sniffed that play out !

#20 Tank 92

Tank 92

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Definitely. Can only imagine how he felt watching that play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users