39 replies to this topic

#1 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,554 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Once again Roger Goodell is being a hypocrite and doesn't understand the phrase, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. At the end of a league meeting in Dallas, there was talk of expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 teams, or even 16 teams eliminating the Bye Weeks completely.

Goodell said that the owners “teed up” the issue of expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 or 16 teams, and that the discussions will continue in the coming months.

So Goodell here is all about player safety, yet he wants to add 2 more games to the regular season, 2 more games in which players could get hurt, and wants to expand the playoffs which again goes against his player safety agenda. I'm against an 18 game schedule, and I do NOT want to have the playoffs expanded.

http://profootballta...s-could-expand/

My Suggestion: Take a page out of the MLB playbook and have the 6th & 7th Seeds battle it out in a one win or go home game to determine who gets the 6th and final spot in the AFC/NFC. The winner of that game automatically goes on to face the 3rd Seeded team in each conference.

For example, if the playoffs were to end now, the 6th and 7th Seeds in the AFC/NFC follow like this:

AFC:
6. Pittsburgh
7. Cincinnati

NFC:
6. Chicago
7. Washington

Those 4 teams would face off for the 6th Seed and the right to face the 3rd Seeded teams in the Wild Card Round(which would be Green Bay and Denver at the moment)

#2 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

I don't think playoff expansion is all that bad of an idea. 7 teams from each conference would not be too cumbersome - add another wild-card. Just take away the #2 seed's bye week and have them play the #7 seed in the wild-card round. The #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5 would still take place and the divisional round would be unaltered.

2 more total games is not a significant threat to player safety, imo.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#3 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,686 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Horrible idea. A few years ago we had trouble getting teams with winning records in there and he wants to expand. Plus the increased injury risk. What a stupid idea, the schedule is perfect the way it is. Leave the NFL alone, Goodell.

#4 TreTheRaven

TreTheRaven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

Great, so let's water down the playoffs with teams who finish the season with a record of 6 - 10 and hope they win the Super Bowl.... Yeah, keep up the wonderful ideas Goodell.

#5 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hey Roger,
How about we just do this... A double round-robin tournament. Play everyone in your division twice, use the tiebreakers to decide the brackets and just put all 32-teams into the playoffs?

I mean, as long as we're coming up with stupid ideas, might as well throw this one on the pyre as well.

~ Cosmic
Can the fans suspend the Commissioner?

THE SUN, THE MOON, THE STARS AND THE TRUTH
login.png
ALL THINGS YOU CAN COVER UP, BUT EVENTUALLY THEY REVEAL THEMSELVES

#6 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

The only thing that should be different is that a 10-6 team (New Orleans Saints) shoudn't have to go on the road to play a 7-9 team. (Seattle Seahawks)
That's the only issue.
Goodell is SO stupid.

Edited by display name, 12 December 2012 - 09:10 PM.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#7 Malkavian Raven

Malkavian Raven

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

The only thing that should be different is that a 10-6 team (New Orleans Saints) shoudn't have to go on the road to play a 7-9 team. (Seattle Seahawks)
That's the only issue.
Goodell is SO stupid.

Honestly, in my opinion, a sub-.500 team never should've been allowed in the playoffs. If I was going to change anything about the playoffs -- if you're really concerned about giving fans "the best product"... put the top-6 winning teams from each conference. Some divisions could have no one represent them in the playoffs. You can still win your division, just no trip to the playoffs.

I'm not saying I want that, but they always say they are trying to provide the best product to their fans. The best product would be the best teams, yeah?

~ Cosmic
Someone drug test Goodell.

Edited by CosmicRedPanda, 12 December 2012 - 09:41 PM.

THE SUN, THE MOON, THE STARS AND THE TRUTH
login.png
ALL THINGS YOU CAN COVER UP, BUT EVENTUALLY THEY REVEAL THEMSELVES

#8 MATTFROMPA

MATTFROMPA

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

The expansion of the payoff is dumb taking the kickoff out of the game is down right stupid

#9 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

For the record, four (full-price) preseason games and weekly Thursday night games are stupider than expanding the playoff field.

Everyone will reference the Seahawks but that's different - they won their division, just speaks to how crappy the NFC West was.

Good teams have missed playoff berths, too. The 2008 11-5 Patriots. The 2010 10-6 Giants (they went 9-7 in 2011 and won the Super Bowl). 2010 10-6 Bucs. 2007 10-6 Browns. Just a few that come to mind.

What I would propose, if I could propose, would be cutting down to 3 preseason games, building an additional bye week for each team into the season, and switching to a 7-team expanded playoff field like I detailed above.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#10 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,528 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

We might as well eliminate the offseason as well..... Just give ONE DAY for players to resign or sign with other team, and start playing football the Sunday after the superbowl. I mean as long as the ideas are stupid as possible it works for me....

#11 ghost1986

ghost1986

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

This guy has got to be the worst and most hypocritical commissioner the NFL has ever had. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if they did away with the Thursday Night games. Those are bad enough for the players. Granted it almost makes NFL Network useless(with the exception of the combine and draft coverage), but still. I say transition Sunday Night games to NFL Network and render Chris Collinsoworth useless. I know Mayock may have a lisp, but at least he knows his stuff and appreciates our players as much as the other teams'.
"Don't stop huntin'! Don't stop huntin'! Until you have him up on your wall!"-Ray Lewis to Terrell Suggs on hunting 49ers QB Alex Smith

#12 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,323 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

What's the point of the playoffs if half the league is guaranteed to get in? It's an insult to the teams that actually put forth playoff-caliber efforts.

MOD666 SUCKS!!!!!!

#13 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,528 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

Let the 14 year old run the NFL! My slogan

"You are better off now than you were four weeks ago!"

#14 Guest_Mr. Nobody_*

Guest_Mr. Nobody_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

i would agree with 2 more teams in the playoffs if we get four more teams in the league... 12 for 32 is quite alright at the mo... as 14 for 36 would be too

#15 MsMarvel73

MsMarvel73

BSHU cheerleader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

Go ahead and expand the playoffs....as long as you table your horrible 18 game season idea FOREVER!

CableandDeadpool_zpsb3c012fd.jpg

#16 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,962 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Goodell is such a [bleep]

It's all about the money, stop throwing out these stupid ideas fool, more teams playing = more injuries. He's wants it to be safe as possible but wants to expand the schedule to 18 games and have crappy teams playing in the playoffs. What a joke.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#17 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,852 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Goodell is an idiot.

#18 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,111 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

every time i hear this cats name and what he's doing in the league...i just gotta....

Posted Image

~Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I May be Done but I'm not Gone!"

- Ray Lewis

#19 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

Once again we see Goodell's emphasis on improving player safety exposed for it's true agenda ie an attempt to offset the damage and injuries we're going to see with the expanded season/postseason.

#20 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,020 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Understand that Goodell works for the owners. They hired him and they could fire him... if they wanted. He's done pretty much what they want, gotten results, and taken all the PR brutality that comes with it.
a9skd1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users