Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JO_75

Goodell: Playoffs Could Expand

40 posts in this topic

Once again Roger Goodell is being a hypocrite and doesn't understand the phrase, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. At the end of a league meeting in Dallas, there was talk of expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 teams, or even 16 teams eliminating the Bye Weeks completely.

[quote]Goodell said that the owners “teed up” the issue of expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 or 16 teams, and that the discussions will continue in the coming months.[/quote]

So Goodell here is all about player safety, yet he wants to add 2 more games to the regular season, 2 more games in which players could get hurt, and wants to expand the playoffs which again goes against his player safety agenda. I'm against an 18 game schedule, and I do NOT want to have the playoffs expanded.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/12/goodell-says-playoffs-could-expand/

[b]My Suggestion:[/b] Take a page out of the MLB playbook and have the 6th & 7th Seeds battle it out in a one win or go home game to determine who gets the 6th and final spot in the AFC/NFC. The winner of that game automatically goes on to face the 3rd Seeded team in each conference.

For example, if the playoffs were to end now, the 6th and 7th Seeds in the AFC/NFC follow like this:

AFC:
6. Pittsburgh
7. Cincinnati

NFC:
6. Chicago
7. Washington

Those 4 teams would face off for the 6th Seed and the right to face the 3rd Seeded teams in the Wild Card Round(which would be Green Bay and Denver at the moment)

I don't think playoff expansion is all that bad of an idea. 7 teams from each conference would not be too cumbersome - add another wild-card. Just take away the #2 seed's bye week and have them play the #7 seed in the wild-card round. The #3 vs #6 and #4 vs #5 would still take place and the divisional round would be unaltered.

2 more total games is not a significant threat to player safety, imo.

Horrible idea. A few years ago we had trouble getting teams with winning records in there and he wants to expand. Plus the increased injury risk. What a stupid idea, the schedule is perfect the way it is. Leave the NFL alone, Goodell.

Great, so let's water down the playoffs with teams who finish the season with a record of 6 - 10 and hope they win the Super Bowl.... Yeah, keep up the wonderful ideas Goodell.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Hey Roger,[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]How about we just do this... A double round-robin tournament. Play everyone in your division twice, use the tiebreakers to decide the brackets and just put all 32-teams into the playoffs?[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I mean, as long as we're coming up with RETARDED ideas, might as well throw this one on the pyre as well.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]~ Cosmic[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Can the fans suspend the Commissioner?[/i][/font]

The only thing that should be different is that a 10-6 team (New Orleans Saints) shoudn't have to go on the road to play a 7-9 team. (Seattle Seahawks)
That's the only issue.
Goodell is SO stupid.

[quote name='display name' timestamp='1355360993' post='1259705']
The only thing that should be different is that a 10-6 team (New Orleans Saints) shoudn't have to go on the road to play a 7-9 team. (Seattle Seahawks)
That's the only issue.
Goodell is SO stupid.
[/quote]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Honestly, in my opinion, a sub-.500 team never should've been allowed in the playoffs. If I was going to change anything about the playoffs -- if you're really concerned about giving fans "the best product"... put the top-6 winning teams from each conference. Some divisions could have no one represent them in the playoffs. You can still win your division, just no trip to the playoffs.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I'm not saying I want that, but they always say they are trying to provide the best product to their fans. The best product would be the best teams, yeah?[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]~ Cosmic[/i][/font]
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Someone drug test Goodell.[/i][/font]

We might as well eliminate the offseason as well..... Just give ONE DAY for players to resign or sign with other team, and start playing football the Sunday after the superbowl. I mean as long as the ideas are retarded as possible it works for me....

For the record, four (full-price) preseason games and weekly Thursday night games are stupider than expanding the playoff field.

Everyone will reference the Seahawks but that's different - they won their division, just speaks to how crappy the NFC West was.

Good teams have missed playoff berths, too. The 2008 11-5 Patriots. The 2010 10-6 Giants (they went 9-7 in 2011 and won the Super Bowl). 2010 10-6 Bucs. 2007 10-6 Browns. Just a few that come to mind.

What I would propose, if I could propose, would be cutting down to 3 preseason games, building an additional bye week for each team into the season, and switching to a 7-team expanded playoff field like I detailed above.

This guy has got to be the worst and most hypocritical commissioner the NFL has ever had. Honestly, I wouldn't even care if they did away with the Thursday Night games. Those are bad enough for the players. Granted it almost makes NFL Network useless(with the exception of the combine and draft coverage), but still. I say transition Sunday Night games to NFL Network and render Chris Collinsoworth useless. I know Mayock may have a lisp, but at least he knows his stuff and appreciates our players as much as the other teams'.

What's the point of the playoffs if half the league is guaranteed to get in? It's an insult to the teams that actually put forth playoff-caliber efforts.

i would agree with 2 more teams in the playoffs if we get four more teams in the league... 12 for 32 is quite alright at the mo... as 14 for 36 would be too

Goodell is such a [bleep]

It's all about the money, stop throwing out these stupid ideas fool, more teams playing = more injuries. He's wants it to be safe as possible but wants to expand the schedule to 18 games and have crappy teams playing in the playoffs. What a joke.

every time i hear this cats name and what he's doing in the league...i just gotta....

[IMG]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn209/MilitantX1/smh.gif[/IMG]

~Mili

Go ahead and expand the playoffs....as long as you table your horrible 18 game season idea FOREVER!

Once again we see Goodell's emphasis on improving player safety exposed for it's true agenda ie an attempt to offset the damage and injuries we're going to see with the expanded season/postseason.

Understand that Goodell works for the owners. They hired him and they could fire him... if they wanted. He's done pretty much what they want, gotten results, and taken all the PR brutality that comes with it.

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1355424902' post='1260274']
[b]Understand that Goodell works for the owners[/b]. They hired him and they could fire him... if they wanted. He's done pretty much what they want, gotten results, and taken all the PR brutality that comes with it.
[/quote]
but the owners work for the fans; if we can tie hands and protest, we can fire the owners, making them invest elsewhere beside footballs.....

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1355401559' post='1259976']
i would agree with 2 more teams in the playoffs if we get four more teams in the league... 12 for 32 is quite alright at the mo... as 14 for 36 would be too
[/quote]

Let's not count our chickens before the eggs hatch. It will only empower Goodell to keep doing what he's been doing.

[quote name='AsianRice' timestamp='1355426872' post='1260295']
but the owners work for the fans; if we can tie hands and protest, we can fire the owners, making them invest elsewhere beside footballs.....
[/quote]

Don't be so naive, the owners work for themselves. The owners can't get fired, if they could Al Davis wouldn't have needed to die to free the Raiders from his grasp. If it makes more money, they'll consider it. That's what they're in business to do.

[quote name='AsianRice' timestamp='1355426872' post='1260295']
[/quote]

Theoretically yes. Pratically no. The NFL is the biggest sport in the US by a wide margin and growing. They're just throwing out ideas, testing the waters to see how the public would react. They would have to make really drastic changes to hurt the NFLs bottom line.

I think an expanded playoff field is viable, though. Playoff games generate an incredible amount of viewership and, thus, revenue. The owners are probably salivating at the prospect of it. It has a better chance of happening than an 18-game season. I still stand by taking a pre-season game away and adding a playoff game per conference. Better football.

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1355432288' post='1260397']
Theoretically yes. Pratically no. The NFL is the biggest sport in the US by a wide margin and growing. They're just throwing out ideas, testing the waters to see how the public would react. They would have to make really drastic changes to hurt the NFLs bottom line.

I think an expanded playoff field is viable, though. Playoff games generate an incredible amount of viewership and, thus, revenue. The owners are probably salivating at the prospect of it. It has a better chance of happening than an 18-game season. I still stand by taking a pre-season game away and adding a playoff game per conference. Better football.
[/quote]
Owners just can't just make raw decision; they are voting against each other in the conference room and come up with final voting decision. It's like in politics I guess....

However, very few turn away from making large margin of profits; extra game in playoff means more cha-ching to collect. I'm ok with only #1 seed to get a bye, but over-protecting players' safeties is just getting out of hand when football is known for one of the most physcial sport; for that simple reason, NFL is #1 most-watched sport in the nation.

I wish there are more owners who love real football than money cuz it's not like they don't have enough money or something.....

What the? No who the heck are we? The NBA? We already have a problem as it is with teams with losing or break even records getting in. This type of performance should be condemned not rewarded.

I dont care about the added games to the season as preseason should be cut down by 2 games anyway, but I like where the nfl is right now. If it aint broke dont fix it.

I dislike TNF and MNF because the dilute the excitement of the game. More does not mean better. The great thing about football is the anticipation for Sunday, the anxiety over whether or not the team will win that crucial game to just barely make the playoff cut. If anything we need less football not more.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1355428723' post='1260334']
Let's not count our chickens before the eggs hatch. It will only empower Goodell to keep doing what he's been doing.
[/quote]

one egg to hatch in London, one in LA, one in Toronto and one in Mexico... now that's a basket of a division... can see it though they'll go 14 and only leave the top in conference get the bye (in current 32 teams format)

[quote name='Sizzlebshu' timestamp='1355436123' post='1260449']
What the? No who the heck are we? The NBA? We already have a problem as it is with teams with losing or break even records getting in. This type of performance should be condemned not rewarded.

I dont care about the added games to the season as preseason should be cut down by 2 games anyway, but I like where the nfl is right now. If it aint broke dont fix it.

I dislike TNF and MNF because the dilute the excitement of the game. More does not mean better. The great thing about football is the anticipation for Sunday, the anxiety over whether or not the team will win that crucial game to just barely make the playoff cut. If anything we need less football not more.
[/quote]

TNF and MNF are at 1.30 AM in UK and going even further into deep night hours as you travel towards central and eastern Europe... if these were done for opening a new market, then this failed outside USA... and fans don't really like them over to your side of pond too much, but they'll keep the format anyway

If Goodell had his way, players would be out there with pillows strapped around their heads playing two-hand touch. Players are fined upwards of $10,000 if they shove instead of touch.

[quote name='Latch' timestamp='1355446175' post='1260552']
If Goodell had his way, players would be out there with pillows strapped around their heads playing two-hand touch. Players are fined upwards of $10,000 if they shove instead of touch.
[/quote]

I don't think so. He'd have the same game but without the litany of concussion lawsuits that the NFL is facing. The big reason the NFL is cracking down on that stuff is to make them seem proactive (and have some defense for themselves) whereas, earlier, concussion side-effects were either ignored or swept under the rug.

QBs would still be protected, though. They're the darlings with the big money and the big fame.

Again, Goodell is only working for the owners. A lot of the things Goodell takes the fall for are owner-driven. He/they are not evil, they are trying to expand the brand as much as possible and keep the maximum amount of money flowing.

The worst part is, I've [i]liked[/i] Goodell's heavy-handed approach to discipline -- I just don't like every other thing he's done thus far.

Paul Tagliabue set Goodell up for failure by being so lackadaiscal with off-field issues and player safety. But even with all that Goodell has done in response to those issues, he continues to dig a deeper hole for himself by contradicting himself at every turn. Though he works for the owners, Goodell bends to their whim too frequently.

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1355437006' post='1260458']
one egg to hatch in London, one in LA, one in Toronto and one in Mexico... now that's a basket of a division... can see it though they'll go 14 and only leave the top in conference get the bye (in current 32 teams format)
[/quote]

Mexico, England AND Canada?! I don't even think Goodell's that delusional! And I don't think SoCal has room for another team, frankly. There's a reason the Rams moved to Oakland.

[quote name='Sizzlebshu' timestamp='1355436123' post='1260449']

I dislike TNF and MNF because the dilute the excitement of the game. [b]More does not mean better.[/b] The great thing about football is the anticipation for Sunday, the anxiety over whether or not the team will win that crucial game to just barely make the playoff cut. If anything we need less football not more.
[/quote]

This is the key. Short term wise, 18 games can be good but long term, that is when issues arise. Let me say this, NASCAR(I know not many here watch but this is a perfect example) use to only have a 31 race schedule in 1996. They slowly increased up until the current amount of races on the schedule, 36. It was understandable because back then NASCAR was gaining major popularity so there was more demand for more races to be on the schedule. Now in 2012 fans say 36 races is too many races and that it's too much NASCAR.

In the NFL, they use to not have 16 games either, and slowly increased the amount up to 16 regular season games. Then you have the playoffs, and that right there is the perfect amount of NFL, it's not too much, it's not too little but it's enough to feed the fans until the next season. They are giving us the right amount of NFL and not over stuffing our plate to the point where we would actually say it's too much NFL. That would be where the NFL will end up if they go to 18 games, it will be too much and long term wise it won't be any good at all.

Also while I was doing my radio show earlier today, I got an email from one of my listeners of my radio show and this wasn't your typical question. This is a true legit question that I was asked, he asked if there was some way Roger Goodell could be impeached.

I would have never thought NFL could EVER decline in popularity.

But if anyone can do it, Goodell can. He would screw our sports.

I like the idea of adding a 7th seed. I only checked back to 2006, but no team with a losing record would have made the playoffs as the 7th seed. So the idea that a 6-10 team would make it probably would not happen.

I'd also like to add one rule change... You get a home playoff game for winning your division, expect if you have a losing record like Seattle did. In that case you get reseeded and forfeit your right to a home game.

Or how about this, you can only win your division if you have the best record AND have a winning record. If no team in the division has a winning record then that division does not represent in the playoffs that year. They pick another team from a division with a winning record.

[quote name='flaccopoe' timestamp='1355463755' post='1260681']
There's a reason the Rams moved to Oakland.
[/quote]

Uh....ok. :)

I know what you mean. They keep talking about the Jags or even the Rams moving back to LA, but LA doesn't like losers, and won't support one.

Expanding the playoffs would be a terrible mistake. A big reason why the NFL is so popular is because every game is important unlike the NBA and MLB. Expanding the playoffs could ruin the NFL as we know it today

Dumb idea imo. I don't want to see some garbage 8-8 team or some 7-9 team somehow squeak by. No thanks. Keep it the way it is. It works just fine.

[quote name='CorvusCorax' timestamp='1356783788' post='1281631']
Dumb idea imo. I don't want to see some garbage 8-8 team or some 7-9 team somehow squeak by. No thanks. Keep it the way it is. It works just fine.
[/quote]

Already happened, and they beat the defending champions