59 replies to this topic

#1 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,143 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

The last two losses have been absolutely brutal to me. I have been 100% emotionally drained after the losses the past two weeks getting "Batch Slapped" and then last week imploding to a backup QB the way we did.

With that said, I believe:
1. If we would have pulled out the win in Pittsburgh, even losing like we did in Washington.......or
2. After we lost to Pittsburgh, if we could have pulled off an OT win in Washington - Cam would still be here, because I think it actually took both those loses for the final straw to break.

So, if you believe that like I do, answer this question:

If you could change the past two games to wins, but would have to finish the regular season and playoffs with Cam Cameron as our offensive coordinator calling the plays would you do it? Yes or No

My answer to the question is no. I think the past two weeks were a blessing in disguise and I really want to see what we can do with Jim Caldwell. If we can get some guys healthy and start building some momentum, I still feel we have a shot (even playing on the road) to make a run! Go Ravens!!

#2 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Don't really know how you can answer that until we see what Caldwell does with the offense...

Could be a disaster in disguise.

#3 Ngata Chance

Ngata Chance

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Yes.
"Flacco got a hug from owner Bisciotti after game.. Flacco told him: “that felt good.. That was big”

That seems like it was worded wrong...

#4 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

Definite maybe right now......

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#5 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Don't really know how you can answer that until we see what Caldwell does with the offense...

True and, not lol. Cam is gone. Despite what he says, with his absolutely glowing report of Cam, I do not believe this was Harbaugh's decision in the least. We don't know what Caldwell will bring for our offense and it could well be a disaster for what is left of this season and the post-season. We do, however, know what we had with Cam and if we win those games, no matter what happened in the post-season, I think that cancer would still be with us next season. No matter what this season brings, we are rid of Cam. If we implode and Caldwell is butt awful, at least we know we get someone new next season.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#6 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

You won't be able to judge Caldwell at all this season. He's still got to operate out of Cam's playbook. He's still going to be running the same type of system. There's no time to overhaul the thing at this point. We're just going to be seeing Caldwell's STYLE of play-calling and game-planning, versus Cam's. But personally, I don't think Cam had a bigger single issue than his playbook and the system he implemented. Sure, his game-planning wasn't always right (but I think it usually was), and his in-game adjustments were always lacking (game-plan was often good but as the defense adjusted, Cam failed to properly adjust). But, those issues were not as big of a problem as the dreadfully predictable, old-fashioned playbook that didn't have any plays in there to help the receivers get open within the frame of time that the offensive line could protect Flacco.

We won't see what this offense can do until we have a new playbook!

Edited by callahan09, 12 December 2012 - 12:37 PM.

#7 bpytnjr58

bpytnjr58

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Yes....It will pay off down the road. Caldwell is short term and i do not feel the Ravens will go far in the playoffs even if Cameron was still OC.

#8 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

I would have rather clinched the division with a win over Pitt.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#9 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

Oh yeah, Can someone +1 this guy simply for using the term "Batch-Slapped". Its perfect!

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#10 Twistidfunk

Twistidfunk

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

WInning is always better

#11 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,212 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Can Caldwell play corner?

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#12 Guest_Moderator 6_*

Guest_Moderator 6_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

This question will be better asked in Feburary.

#13 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

I think it is what needed to be done regardless of what Caldwell can do. First off, I don't believe Caldwell can be any worse in his play calling and situation play calling more specifically. Second, at least now we know Cam will not be back for next season, and can spend the off season finding a proper coordinator if Caldwell does do a terrible job. Regardless of what goes on these next few weeks, I think this was a blessing.

#14 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,376 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

I agree. I think we have a better chance of winning a SB without Cam than with him regardless of seeding.

@gabefergy

#15 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

True and, not lol. Cam is gone. Despite what he says, with his absolutely glowing report of Cam, I do not believe this was Harbaugh's decision in the least. We don't know what Caldwell will bring for our offense and it could well be a disaster for what is left of this season and the post-season. We do, however, know what we had with Cam and if we win those games, no matter what happened in the post-season, I think that cancer would still be with us next season. No matter what this season brings, we are rid of Cam. If we implode and Caldwell is butt awful, at least we know we get someone new next season.

I agree, I don't think it was Harbaugh's decision. I think it's pretty clear that this came from Steve Bisciotti and Harbaugh finally agreed to go along with it. I also think it's good that Cam is gone so either we work with Caldwell to develop a new offensive system in the off-season, or we pursue another OC and develop a new system with them.

You won't be able to judge Caldwell at all this season. He's still got to operate out of Cam's playbook. He's still going to be running the same type of system. There's no time to overhaul the thing at this point. We're just going to be seeing Caldwell's STYLE of play-calling and game-planning, versus Cam's. But personally, I don't think Cam had a bigger single issue than his playbook and the system he implemented. Sure, his game-planning wasn't always right (but I think it usually was), and his in-game adjustments were always lacking (game-plan was often good but as the defense adjusted, Cam failed to properly adjust). But, those issues were not as big of a problem as the dreadfully predictable, old-fashioned playbook that didn't have any plays in there to help the receivers get open within the frame of time that the offensive line could protect Flacco.

We won't see what this offense can do until we have a new playbook!

I partially agree. I think the biggest thing plagued Cam was his playcalling - not necessarily his playbook. I mean, yes we have a very vanilla offense, but we've always seemed to go out on the field and have a run-run-pass-punt offensive scheme. I think we will be able to judge whether or not Caldwell can call plays (which is a big IF, because he's never been a play caller in the NFL) and they should be able to add new plays to the playbook to get rid of some vanilla-ness.

I think it is what needed to be done regardless of what Caldwell can do. First off, I don't believe Caldwell can be any worse in his play calling and situation play calling more specifically. Second, at least now we know Cam will not be back for next season, and can spend the off season finding a proper coordinator if Caldwell does do a terrible job. Regardless of what goes on these next few weeks, I think this was a blessing.

We have yet to see Caldwell's playcalling ability as I wrote above. Cam wasn't exactly the greatest playcaller (read: worst ever) so there isn't really a high bar set for Caldwell.

My issue right now is that if Caldwell does perform terribly, can we chalk it up as him being a terrible OC, or just blame it on Cam's playbook/vanilla style of offense?

#16 TreTheRaven

TreTheRaven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Not sure honestly at this time. I think a lot would then vary on the remaining 3 games as well. Not knowing what the out-come would be, and never knowing if those games would take an emotional toll on the body as well.

#17 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,890 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Honestly, even if we pulled off the wins, the lack of offense in the 2nd half would of still probably booted Cam out of bmore

Edited by Alexir, 12 December 2012 - 02:04 PM.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#18 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'll take the losses and no Cam all day and twice on Sundays. We're making the playoffs anyway, so whatever.

I don't think we'll see much difference in the short term but this is better for the long term. If Flacco is exposed in these next four (at least) games, the organization will know what to do moving forward.

#19 cobrajet

cobrajet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,143 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

This question will be better asked in Feburary.

Fair enough, but I am very thankful for all the responses so far. I think you can tell by my answer that I am optimistic about Caldwell, because I truly feel we had zero shot going anywhere this season with Cam.

Edited by cobrajet, 12 December 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#20 Latch

Latch

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

I think Caldwell is more of a substitute coordinator at this point. If there's a noticeable improvement he may stick around, but if not then Ozzie and Steve will probably make a move for Norv Turner or some other coach. Hopefully, losing 2 games in a row was a wake-up call if anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users