Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cobrajet

Blessing in disguise? Answer Yes or No

65 posts in this topic

The last two losses have been absolutely brutal to me. I have been 100% emotionally drained after the losses the past two weeks getting "Batch Slapped" and then last week imploding to a backup QB the way we did.

With that said, I believe:
1. If we would have pulled out the win in Pittsburgh, even losing like we did in Washington.......or
2. After we lost to Pittsburgh, if we could have pulled off an OT win in Washington - Cam would still be here, because I think it actually took both those loses for the final straw to break[b].[/b]

So, if you believe that like I do, answer this question:

[b]If you could change the past two games to wins, but would have to finish the regular season and playoffs with Cam Cameron as our offensive coordinator calling the plays would you do it? [/b][b]Yes or No[/b]

My answer to the question is no. I think the past two weeks were a blessing in disguise and I really want to see what we can do with Jim Caldwell. If we can get some guys healthy and start building some momentum, I still feel we have a shot (even playing on the road) to make a run! Go Ravens!!

[quote name='terpsnation' timestamp='1355332754' post='1259143']
Don't really know how you can answer that until we see what Caldwell does with the offense...

Could be a disaster in disguise.
[/quote]

True and, not lol. Cam is gone. Despite what he says, with his absolutely glowing report of Cam, I do not believe this was Harbaugh's decision in the least. We don't know what Caldwell will bring for our offense and it could well be a disaster for what is left of this season and the post-season. We do, however, know what we had with Cam and if we win those games, no matter what happened in the post-season, I think that cancer would still be with us next season. No matter what this season brings, we are rid of Cam. If we implode and Caldwell is butt awful, at least we know we get someone new next season.

Don't really know how you can answer that until we see what Caldwell does with the offense...

[/quote]

You won't be able to judge Caldwell at all this season. He's still got to operate out of Cam's playbook. He's still going to be running the same type of system. There's no time to overhaul the thing at this point. We're just going to be seeing Caldwell's STYLE of play-calling and game-planning, versus Cam's. But personally, I don't think Cam had a bigger single issue than his playbook and the system he implemented. Sure, his game-planning wasn't always right (but I think it usually was), and his in-game adjustments were always lacking (game-plan was often good but as the defense adjusted, Cam failed to properly adjust). But, those issues were not as big of a problem as the dreadfully predictable, old-fashioned playbook that didn't have any plays in there to help the receivers get open within the frame of time that the offensive line could protect Flacco.

We won't see what this offense can do until we have a new playbook!

Yes....It will pay off down the road. Caldwell is short term and i do not feel the Ravens will go far in the playoffs even if Cameron was still OC.

[/quote]

I think it is what needed to be done regardless of what Caldwell can do. First off, I don't believe Caldwell can be any worse in his play calling and situation play calling more specifically. Second, at least now we know Cam will not be back for next season, and can spend the off season finding a proper coordinator if Caldwell does do a terrible job. Regardless of what goes on these next few weeks, I think this was a blessing.

[quote name='ravensdfan' timestamp='1355332947' post='1259149']
True and, not lol. Cam is gone. Despite what he says, with his absolutely glowing report of Cam, I do not believe this was Harbaugh's decision in the least. We don't know what Caldwell will bring for our offense and it could well be a disaster for what is left of this season and the post-season. We do, however, know what we had with Cam and if we win those games, no matter what happened in the post-season, I think that cancer would still be with us next season. No matter what this season brings, we are rid of Cam. If we implode and Caldwell is butt awful, at least we know we get someone new next season.
[/quote]
I agree, I don't think it was Harbaugh's decision. I think it's pretty clear that this came from Steve Bisciotti and Harbaugh finally agreed to go along with it. I also think it's good that Cam is gone so either we work with Caldwell to develop a new offensive system in the off-season, or we pursue another OC and develop a new system with them.

[quote name='callahan09' timestamp='1355333796' post='1259175']
You won't be able to judge Caldwell at all this season. He's still got to operate out of Cam's playbook. He's still going to be running the same type of system. There's no time to overhaul the thing at this point. We're just going to be seeing Caldwell's STYLE of play-calling and game-planning, versus Cam's. But personally, I don't think Cam had a bigger single issue than his playbook and the system he implemented. Sure, his game-planning wasn't always right (but I think it usually was), and his in-game adjustments were always lacking (game-plan was often good but as the defense adjusted, Cam failed to properly adjust). But, those issues were not as big of a problem as the dreadfully predictable, old-fashioned playbook that didn't have any plays in there to help the receivers get open within the frame of time that the offensive line could protect Flacco.

We won't see what this offense can do until we have a new playbook!
[/quote]
I partially agree. I think the biggest thing plagued Cam was his playcalling - not necessarily his playbook. I mean, yes we have a very vanilla offense, but we've always seemed to go out on the field and have a run-run-pass-punt offensive scheme. I think we will be able to judge whether or not Caldwell can call plays (which is a big IF, because he's never been a play caller in the NFL) and they should be able to add new plays to the playbook to get rid of some vanilla-ness.

[quote name='dirtybird10' timestamp='1355336741' post='1259262']
I think it is what needed to be done regardless of what Caldwell can do. First off, I don't believe Caldwell can be any worse in his play calling and situation play calling more specifically. Second, at least now we know Cam will not be back for next season, and can spend the off season finding a proper coordinator if Caldwell does do a terrible job. Regardless of what goes on these next few weeks, I think this was a blessing.
[/quote]
We have yet to see Caldwell's playcalling ability as I wrote above. Cam wasn't exactly the greatest playcaller (read: worst ever) so there isn't really a high bar set for Caldwell.

My issue right now is that if Caldwell does perform terribly, can we chalk it up as him being a terrible OC, or just blame it on Cam's playbook/vanilla style of offense?

Not sure honestly at this time. I think a lot would then vary on the remaining 3 games as well. Not knowing what the out-come would be, and never knowing if those games would take an emotional toll on the body as well.

Honestly, even if we pulled off the wins, the lack of offense in the 2nd half would of still probably booted Cam out of bmore

I'll take the losses and no Cam all day and twice on Sundays. We're making the playoffs anyway, so whatever.

I don't think we'll see much difference in the short term but this is better for the long term. If Flacco is exposed in these next four (at least) games, the organization will know what to do moving forward.

[quote name='Moderator 6' timestamp='1355335893' post='1259237']
This question will be better asked in Feburary.
[/quote]
Fair enough, but I am very thankful for all the responses so far. I think you can tell by my answer that I am optimistic about Caldwell, because I truly feel we had zero shot going anywhere this season with Cam.

I think Caldwell is more of a substitute coordinator at this point. If there's a noticeable improvement he may stick around, but if not then Ozzie and Steve will probably make a move for Norv Turner or some other coach. Hopefully, losing 2 games in a row was a wake-up call if anything.

[quote name='cobrajet' timestamp='1355332491' post='1259138']
The last two losses have been absolutely brutal to me. I have been 100% emotionally drained after the losses the past two weeks getting "Batch Slapped" and then last week imploding to a backup QB the way we did.

With that said, I believe:
1. If we would have pulled out the win in Pittsburgh, even losing like we did in Washington.......or
2. After we lost to Pittsburgh, if we could have[b] pulled off an OT win in Washington - Cam would still be here, because I think it actually took both those loses for the final straw to break.[/b]

So, if you believe that like I do, answer this question:

[b]If you could change the past two games to wins, but would have to finish the regular season and playoffs with Cam Cameron as our offensive coordinator calling the plays would you do it? [/b][b]Yes or No[/b]

My answer to the question is no. I think the past two weeks were a blessing in disguise and I really want to see what we can do with Jim Caldwell. If we can get some guys healthy and start building some momentum, I still feel we have a shot (even playing on the road) to make a run! Go Ravens!!
[/quote]

I honestly think they would have gotten rid of Cam even if we won against the REDSKINS. I did not see Cam getting the boot at all. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Also i thought the play calling was slightly, slightly better the last two weeks, but thats not really saying much , is it.[/background][/size][/font][/color]

Guess you could say , i completely gave up on it. Glad he is gone.

Hoping we get ANDY REID as the O.C. next season when he gets the boot.

[quote name='Latch' timestamp='1355340451' post='1259332']
I think Caldwell is more of a substitute coordinator at this point. If there's a noticeable improvement he may stick around, but if not then Ozzie and Steve will probably make a move for [b]Norv Turner[/b] or some other coach. Hopefully, losing 2 games in a row was a wake-up call if anything.
[/quote]

Rather have Andy Reid, Andy will throw the ball. Norv won't.

[quote name='PeRK82' timestamp='1355343004' post='1259411']
Rather have Andy Reid, Andy will throw the ball. Norv won't.
[/quote]

he makes michael vick and nick foles of all people throw 50+ times a game. enough said.

Caldwell is temporary in any scenario on any other team but with the Ravens he could be the new OC. I mean we did actually hire Harb's who had zero experience as a coach. (which showed big time this season) As he did not handle controversy very well and the owner had to step in and do his job. So yeah, why not Caldwell as the next OC right.

[quote name='Moderator 6' timestamp='1355335893' post='1259237']
This question will be better asked in Feburary.
[/quote]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Can we shut the thread down until then?..... I'm kidding.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Seriously though, can we?[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]No, seriously... I'm with a lot of the others. Until we see what happens over the course of at least the next four weeks, you really can't answer this. We'll have a little insight as to what Caldwell will bring and how the offense will work under him.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Am I glad Cam is gone? Yes. "Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy" as my father used to say. I wish him the best, but it was definitely time to move on. This offense had hit its ceiling under his coordinating.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]~ Cosmic[/i][/font]

[quote name='CosmicRedPanda' timestamp='1355349398' post='1259501']
[b][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][b]Can we shut the thread down until then?..... I'm kidding.[/b][/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][b]Seriously though, can we?[/b][/i][/font][/b]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i][b]No, seriously.[/b].. I'm with a lot of the others. Until we see what happens over the course of at least the next four weeks, you really can't answer this. We'll have a little insight as to what Caldwell will bring and how the offense will work under him.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]Am I glad Cam is gone? Yes. "Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy" as my father used to say. I wish him the best, but it was definitely time to move on. This offense had hit its ceiling under his coordinating.[/i][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]~ Cosmic[/i][/font]
[/quote]
Now you're confusing me! :)

To answer your question, no :P

to be successful in life....there are times when you must take risks. you can't always play it safe to get to where you are trying to go! you have to be bold enough to step out of the mold of the status quo in doing the same old things, the same old way, and expecting different results. i'm excited about this change! let's move forward!

~Mili

Yes it was a blessing in disguise. We are in the playoffs anyway unless we lose out and the Pitt-Cincy game ends in a tie,along
with them both winning their other two games .

I think Harbs knew we would go nowhere in the playoffs this year without a shakeup on offense that will require us to score more points because our defense is awful primarily due to a massive amount of injuries.Having Johnson or whatever his name was covering Garcon is all you need to know about the heath of our D.

Your hypothetical question is interesting. The consideration to replace Cam apparently started after the Pittsburgh loss. If we had beaten the Redskins, I doubt the move would have been made. The offense bounced back and scored 28 points on the road. In fact, Cam's offense produced enough points in both games to be victorious. In both games, the defense and/or ST let us down. If we had won both games, the decision to replace Cam would have made absolutely no sense IMO. Our record would have been 11-2 and we would have already clinched our division. The perception of many sports fans is that the decision is a sign of panic and desperation. Some fans question the timing. I prefer to believe it was not motivated by anyone's ego or a sense of panic and desperation but rather out of a sense of urgency. In light of the back-to-back losses, I agree with the decision to dismiss Cam now because I think there is still hope that we can salvage the season. To answer to your question, any decision to dismiss Cam even if we won the last two games would have to take into consideration Cam's body of work as an OC in those games but it is very difficult to imagine a scenario where he would be dismissed if our record was now 11-2. During our SB year,we had five games in a row where our offense stunk up the field. So, my answer is NO! The jury is still out whether it is a blessing in disguise IMO. That will all depend on how the season ends.