18 replies to this topic

#1 mdrsharon

mdrsharon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Obviously we are having our issues, but has anyone noticed how bad the calls have been lately?
The not a touchdown in the Steeler game, and the overturned fumble call?
Not to mention all of the ridiculous pass interference calls - for or against us, they are ruining the game!

#2 The Raven

The Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,478 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Wah wah wah! Officiating sucks!

Sorry, no sympathy here! That is a BS excuse. Bad calls happen! It's up to the team to play well enough to make them a non factor! Every team gets them at some time or another. It's a crappy excuse.

#3 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

It was a td in the Pitt game. All of our losses were because the team made mistakes or didnt play well enough. Can't blame the refs this season. We have been getting some favorable calls as well.

#4 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

We have gotten a decent amount of calls our way. The PI is a bit ridiculous and the Flacco "sack" call was honestly the dumbest thing I have ever seen. You could say we have one a couple games from poor officiating and lost a couple so it's all fair in my opinion.

#5 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I'm not fond of using the officiating argument because every team can make it. There are always bad calls. The only time I can definitively say off the top of my head where poor officiating cost a team a game was back with the replacement refs, where Green Bay was robbed.

Yeah, I've seen holding not get called many times, on defense and offense. It happens. Good teams overcome even bad officiating.

#6 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

ya gotta play better than the calls.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#7 frozen joe flacco fan

frozen joe flacco fan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

The officiating this year, in particular, has been, slightly less than good. IMO the replacement refs cost us a game. The officiating in the Skins game was not particularly good either. However, it does no good to complain. Anyone who has ever coached knows that there will always be poor officiating. Your best hope is that the officiating, if bad, is consistently bad for both teams. Here is where I have a problem with the NFL. I sincerely believe that some of the NFL officials have it in for the Ravens. However, it is IMO the Ravens' fault. Some of our players have been outspoken and openly critical of the officiating. Frankly, all that does is to introduce bias into the close calls and/or no calls that are made. It is up to our coaching staff to instill in its players that it is unacceptable to complain publicly about the officiating. That's but one anecdotal example of the discipline that this team lacks. Another is the number of stupid penalties we commit in every game. It doesn't matter whether you are a rookie, a great player like Ed Reed. The players need to buckle up their chin straps and keep their traps shut the rest of the way. Vince Lombardi said it best, " Competition doesn't build character; it exposes it." What made the Earl of Baltimore such a great manager was that he was able to take the ire of the officials upon himself (i.e., he worked the officials), which allowed his players to focus on playing baseball. The officials expect the head coaches to complain about calls. Duh, the red flag! They do not appreciate it when players complain and its human nature that they will show the players who is boss. If you missed the two illegal blocks on the 69 yard punt return in OT in the Skins game, you really missed an atrocious no call for people who earn so much money to throw yellow flags.

#8 mdrsharon

mdrsharon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

The officiating this year, in particular, has been, slightly less than good. IMO the replacement refs cost us a game. The officiating in the Skins game was not particularly good either. However, it does no good to complain. Anyone who has ever coached knows that there will always be poor officiating. Your best hope is that the officiating, if bad, is consistently bad for both teams. Here is where I have a problem with the NFL. I sincerely believe that some of the NFL officials have it in for the Ravens. However, it is IMO the Ravens' fault. Some of our players have been outspoken and openly critical of the officiating. Frankly, all that does is to introduce bias into the close calls and/or no calls that are made. It is up to our coaching staff to instill in its players that it is unacceptable to complain publicly about the officiating. That's but one anecdotal example of the discipline that this team lacks. Another is the number of stupid penalties we commit in every game. It doesn't matter whether you are a rookie, a great player like Ed Reed. The players need to buckle up their chin straps and keep their traps shut the rest of the way. Vince Lombardi said it best, " Competition doesn't build character; it exposes it." What made the Earl of Baltimore such a great manager was that he was able to take the ire of the officials upon himself (i.e., he worked the officials), which allowed his players to focus on playing baseball. The officials expect the head coaches to complain about calls. Duh, the red flag! They do not appreciate it when players complain and its human nature that they will show the players who is boss. If you missed the two illegal blocks on the 69 yard punt return in OT in the Skins game, you really missed an atrocious no call for people who earn so much money to throw yellow flags.

thank you!
of course if we play "better" we cannot blame the refs, but I really agree that the officiating is killing our game.
and bad calls can ruin the course of the game.

#9 1/28/01

1/28/01

Error 404

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,233 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

TD in Pitt was correct call
Non-fumble recovery was correct call
The rest - poop happens!
Posted Image

#10 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,814 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Sorry, no sympathy here! That is a BS excuse. Bad calls happen! It's up to the team to play well enough to make them a non factor! Every team gets them at some time or another. It's a crappy excuse.

IDY you got negged for that. But, that is a BS excuse. But I do think the refs pick on us a bit more. Not saying we lose bc of it, but IDT that they are fair!

#11 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I don't think the OP was saying we were getting the short end of the stick with the officiating. He was saying it has been bad all the way around. More so than we normally expect. With that I would have to agree. Questionable calls for us and against us. It just slows the game down and is non productive.
It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#12 Tyler

Tyler

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'm not whining. The skins deserved to win. But anyone see the obvious block in the back on that punt return?
Follow Me on Twitter:
@T_Burke58

#13 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,181 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

What td in Pitt are you on about?

#14 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

probably the guy (maybe Miller) touching the corner of the endzone with the ball as he was going out of bounds.

#15 PeRK82

PeRK82

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I ll agree with you ,EXCEPT that David Reed fumble recovery. That was B.S., should have been game over. You have to think, it was ruled a Fumble recovery and Overturned. That was B.S.

#16 PeRK82

PeRK82

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

What td in Pitt are you on about?

Put it this way, It was a TD. I didn't think it wasn't . He broke the plane and yes he (his body) was O.B. but he didn't touch the ground until he touched the cone.

#17 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Green Bay called, they said we need to shut up about bad calls....

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#18 funky141

funky141

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Couldn't agree more, good team find away to get past the officials, good or bad

#19 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,181 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

probably the guy (maybe Miller) touching the corner of the endzone with the ball as he was going out of bounds.

oh yea. Jo was the main winge on the board about it. Td no arguments here, right call. Next?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users