Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Ray Rice Reacts To Offensive Coordinator Change

92 posts in this topic

The fifth-year running back doesn't expect a drastic change in the offense or run-pass balance.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ray-Rice-Reacts-To-Offensive-Coordinator-Change/d5e2dece-6f9b-4087-9320-f876046a1b67]View the full article[/url]

Can this please be the last story about Cam Cameron, he's Gone!! Finally. Lets move on, he's now in the past.

OK, everyone in the Ravens organization knows specifically why Cameron was let go. Nobody releases a OC with three games left and a 9-4 record heading towards the playoffs without a substantial reason.

But....everyone has the class to not drag around mud about who, what, why, and where of it all. So, let it go.

It's not important the "whys" or "whos", what IS important now is what can the Ravens do to maximize the chances of winning a Superbowl?

Too much distraction! Let's focus on Denver!

GO RAVENS!

[quote name='Zeus' timestamp='1355258601' post='1258270']
Can this please be the last story about Cam Cameron, he's Gone!! Finally. Lets move on, he's now in the past.
[/quote]

I wouldn't count on it. The official announcement came but 24 hours ago. What has happened is virtually unprecedented, for a playoff team to can a coordinator in week 14 of the season. Dismissing Cam has been a topic people on these boards have been discussing for nearly 2 years. Now that it has happened, it is going to be the focus for some time to come.

I expect you'll be hearing about it for the rest of the season as we see how this move "plays out" and into the off-season as it is discussed how the offense flowed with Caldwell in charge and whether we should retain his services or look elsewhere for a fresh approach.

One thing a classy professional does, is what Ray Rice and others on this team will say pertaining to Cam, and we shouldn't expect anything different. But behind closed doors obviously other things are and have been said. Its are job as fans to do the BASHING when it needs to be done, and thankfully Harbs and the Org. finally said enough is enough.

I guess my thought is if Caldwell was going to make changes would he tell everybody about it or just go out and surprise opponents? I think, too that part of football is psyching your opponent each week and keep them guessing. What's more if he uses the same schemes and actually is able to get the players (qb & receivers) on the same page more often that is a huge difference. I think this team has the talent to be as high scoring as the Patriots but has been held back by lack of preperation/coaching. Say what you will, but changes in high places tend to motivate the staff in more ways than one.

nice article! great hearing Rice's views and expectation about Caldwell taking over asthe O.C. there is something new and fresh in the air. change is never easy but change is necessary! i can't wait to see what our offense will become beginning on Sunday. let's goooo!

~Mili

I love Rice, love what he's done for this team over the years, but this not askin for more touches thing just bothers me. Its meant to induce thoughts of how selfless and noble, but all I can think is the exact opposite. If my boss paid me millions to stand around and do nothing, yeh, I wouldnt complain either. You're the third highest paid running back in NFL history!!!.....you need to be involved, period.

I don't like to hear Caldwell getting too much credit for Manning. Any OC will look like the best with him. Let's not expect Joe to be the next Manning.

class act rice. i wish cam the best as well. i think the bigger issue here is our o-line. im sure jim will add slants and work the middle of the field soon enough but none of that will matter if drives are stalled because the line cannot get enough push in short yardage situations or open huge holes for rice leach and pierce and give flacco time to throw. i do agree that we need to cut down on the deep and long routes and focus on time consuming drives. it will take time folks so be patient. go eagles cowboys 49ers colts and ravens!!

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, December 11, 2012 - Off topic · Report post

Posted
3 minutes ago

Joe flacco needs to work on doing different things other than bombing it down the field, like short screens to rice, slant routes to torrey would be good cause he is great at making ppl miss and getting yards after the catch they need to be unpredictable and make put the Defence on their heels then he can take advantage of it by airing it out when the defence bites. one more thing.. I think deen peas should be more aggressive with his play calling dial and up more blitz on the defence. the ravens are playing safe on defence giving the receivers alot of space to opeerate we need to be more aggressive and press on em so the wide outs wont be able to time their patterns. I think cover 1 press blitz would be be nice at times and disguising blitz. I know we lost a couple key starters on defence but we still play decent enough to win games. once ray lewis comes back I hope it gives the D a huge spark cause I believe the ravens can get hot at the right time and possibly go all the way but we gotta come together as a unit and unleash!! on both sides of the ball.

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, December 11, 2012 - Off topic · Report post

Baby Ray, so when is the offense going to mature? You keep reiterating this a growing offense, when do you get off the pablum and onto solid food. This is the fourteen week of the season, for goodness sake, it's time to grow up!! Maybe it's Joe holding you all back, and not Cam,think about that. Joe is still making rookie errors, not getting the ball to his hot read, being inaccurate,not extending plays by getting out of the pocket or simply just throwing the ball away. Joe needs to take full responsibility for his short comings, and try to better his game. He wants a big time contract, but his play of late says don't pay him because maybe he's reached his ceiling. These next three games maybe the tell tale of which Joe we got. We've grown weary of good Joe, bad Joe. How bout consistent Joe!!

i hope caldwell works in some roll out quick passes on 3rd downs to help flacco not get blind sided especially when we are on our side of the 50 yd. line. quick screens to smith and jones with pitta dickson and boldin blocking. some creativity would be nice. good luck jim i think we are going to be in good hands with you.

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, December 11, 2012 - Wrong thread · Report post

I know this has nothing to do with this but asa jackson is suspended for 4 games for performance enhancing drugs man this team can get a break we diff going to the super bowl with this team!

[quote name='mettro79' timestamp='1355262471' post='1258353']
Once again Ray Rice shows how he's a stand up guy.
[/quote]

Pure class . I have never seen Rice say anything disruptive or negative. Nor have I ever hear him turn on the BS-generator and speak without saying anything (though Harbaugh seems to do that enough for the whole organization...).

I'd be in real trouble if had to say anything negative about Rice. And surely not only because I'm a biased Ravens fan...

bio

Just a thought...In the last couple years this is the first time we have lost 2 in a row, the first time we have had 7 starters on D to replace, another new D coordinator and we are still in good shape to win the division. I am not sure what people want but it seems like we have one of the best teams in the league over the last 5 years and still people like to coach from the comfort of the house after the the fact. Enjoy the sport and all that comes with it. Most teams wish they had what we got. Peace Out.

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, December 11, 2012 - Response to off topic post · Report post

[quote name='Johnwilson' timestamp='1355262244' post='1258346']
I know this has nothing to do with this but asa jackson is suspended for 4 games for performance enhancing drugs man this team can get a break we diff going to the super bowl with this team!
[/quote]

Well, TBH I don't think this suspension will make our job any harder... Asa hasn't played one single defensive snap this season. Which is no wonder, he's a rookie after all. His time is still to come.

bio

[quote name='mtgpmarshall' timestamp='1355263128' post='1258370']
Just a thought...In the last couple years this is the first time we have lost 2 in a row, the first time we have had 7 starters on D to replace, another new D coordinator and we are still in good shape to win the division. I am not sure what people want but it seems like we have one of the best teams in the league over the last 5 years and still people like to coach from the comfort of the house after the the fact. Enjoy the sport and all that comes with it. Most teams wish they had what we got. Peace Out.
[/quote]

I've been saying throughout the season that we aren't this good because of our coaches, but in spite of them. I still think the main reason behind the fact that we're 9-4 and not, say 5-8 is that we have a very strong roster, full of guys who can decide a close game on their own.

bio

Posted · Hidden by Grapple Raven, December 12, 2012 - Response to off topic post · Report post

[quote name='MissRay27' timestamp='1355262047' post='1258339']
Baby Ray, so when is the offense going to mature? You keep reiterating this a growing offense, when do you get off the pablum and onto solid food. This is the fourteen week of the season, for goodness sake, it's time to grow up!! Maybe it's Joe holding you all back, and not Cam,think about that. Joe is still making rookie errors, not getting the ball to his hot read, being inaccurate,not extending plays by getting out of the pocket or simply just throwing the ball away. Joe needs to take full responsibility for his short comings, and try to better his game. He wants a big time contract, but his play of late says don't pay him because maybe he's reached his ceiling. These next three games maybe the tell tale of which Joe we got. We've grown weary of good Joe, bad Joe. How bout consistent Joe!!
[/quote]

I understand the irritation at Ray's calling this a "growing" offense, but I'm not going to lose it over these kinds of comments. These guys don't want to say anything, so they try their best not to upset the team. What they truly think stays where it belongs ... behind closed doors and in their own locker room.

As far as Joe goes ... you are right - no more excuses. Put up with a decent degree of consistency or shut up. My gut tells me he may improve, but not dramatically. I just don't know how all of what we are seeing - the happy feet, the lack of an internal clock that leads to his penchant for getting strip sacked, the wild overthrows on short simple routes - are all on Cam. We'll soon see if we would need to bring in Professor Dumbledore as our OC to cure Joe of his flaws.

I'm just hoping that we've seen the last of the situation where we abandon the run on a 7 point deficit in the 3rd quarter and hope that we can adjust to changing defenses and provide Joe with an approach that can allow him to get the ball out quicker on routes designed to be run when a blitz is coming.

I'm dying to see how this is going to play out.

I really would love to see them use Ray more on offense. I think he would have made the difference in the Steelers game. Why not throw a few passes when you have the ball at your own 20 with time on the clock and one time out remaining? I think that it would have been wrong not to complain about it. The botched fumble recovery might have cost us an easy victory. Just a FG instead of the interception on that ill-fated drive would have sealed the deal. One thing is for certain, we have a tough schedule from here on out and no lead is safe anymore with our banged up defense.