Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] 5 Questions For A Jim Caldwell Offense

100 posts in this topic

A look at the different factors that go into a change at offensive coordinator.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/5-Questions-For-A-Jim-Caldwell-Offense/06977e64-edb2-446a-8226-fab40786b1d9]View the full article[/url]

jim caldwell helped lead the colts to a super bowl... cam cameron helped lead the dolphins to one of the worst seasons in NFL history... just sayin

Ray Rice will be moving the chains as Caldwell is no dummy. He will get Ray his touches via run and pass.

Can't wait !!!

Anything will be better than what we were putting out there under Cameron. And I like the element of surprise at home against Denver, who won't know how to plan for us this week

Only thing with Ray rice and Cam was that Cam always called plays to get Ray through the center and guard which I hated. Ray has always been better cutting back to the outside behind the tackles and TE's. Pierce would be more of a guy I would run down the middle cause he is a lot bigger and can really keep his legs turning when those big DL get on him. More Sweeps and outside runs for Ray will instantly make us better. A lot more Zone rushing (it was working in Washington) but cam got away from the zone scheme. I think we are about to see a lot of no-huddle and quick tempo offense for the last three games and also a lot more quick short and intermediate throws to help with flaccos release. This move can only make us better. (I hope)

if he calls plays on 3rd down where the WR actually runs a route that will get enough yards to make it...he will be a vast improvement over Cam. Tired of seeing 3rd and 8 and all the WR's run 5 yard button hooks/ins and outs....moronic.

Offensive Coordinators are not born, they ger their "bones' on the job! Let Jim Caldwell be the "Figurehead O.C.-by-committee" this season and if he does well, fine,.... or, until such time as Norv Turner decides to send his kids to Mid-Atlantic schools at season's end! *wink*

Jim will still make Joe E-Lite better, Turner will make the whole Offense better!

when ray rice has 20 carries a game we have a much higher winning percentage. Then that's when you can take Torrey deep, but you have to keep teams honest with screens, crossers, and hitches.

maybe, just maybe, for this next game... caldwell should be helping on the D side of the ball... i mean who knows mr manning more than him from our staff

How about replacing Oher on the left side with the guy who did the job last year at a much better level. If changes are going to be made let's not forget he let both end rushers open shots at Flacco the last two weeks causing strip sacks which led to the points by the opposing team that got the opposing team back in the game. Protect Flacco and give him time and the offense will shine. The decisions about the O-line cost us more than anything else this year. Flacco is a pocket passer, pocket passers need at least 6 blockers on every play and the remaining receivers need to learn how to get separation and catch the darn ball.

Im sick of the vanilla flavor. I cant stand anything vanilla no more, icecream,sundaes, nothing i want a lil of everything now open this offense up change the philosophy and rally together around caldwell communicate better and come together as a offense!

One more question who plans to fix the o-line with yanda out birk is starting to get pushed around ,,,,,,again and michael oher is getting blown up .Reid is turning into a penaalty machine I think joe is going to handle his business might help if the online get there busniess in gear

I think with yanda out we will see a return of mckinnie fat or not he is needed esp with yanda out .

Cameron had a lot to do with the Oline playing bad as well. If you are going to run a play action 7-step drop pass, its probably not the best idea to leave your blind side tackle on an island with the opposing team's best pass rusher. Hopefully Caldwell will chip with a TE/RB on those plays going forward. Not making an excuse for Oher's average play, but Mckinnie is an old garbage tackle who won't even be on the roster next year.

Caldwell can tbe any worse than Cameron was, period! All I want to see is something other than the basic vanilla plays that we have used for the past 4 years.

[quote name='Purple&Black' timestamp='1355241952' post='1257875']
when ray rice has 20 carries a game we have a much higher winning percentage. Then that's when you can take Torrey deep, but you have to keep teams honest with screens, crossers, and hitches.
[/quote]

Good point and in my opinion was the final straw for Cam. We were having success running the ball and we still managed to get Torrey the only once? This happened after a week that Rice didn't receive a touch in the fourth quarter. You can't continue to lose games and when you look at the stats your 2 playmakers don't receive touches.

I think you will see a more up-tempo game and alot more no-huddle trying to keep Flacco in a steady rhythm and the rest of the offense on the same page.Cameron just killed that on offense when the ravens were flowing Cam always pulled back for reasons I could never understand and I think thats where the disconnect was between him and Flacco and the rest of the offense.

I'm happy that Caldwell isn't Cam.

But I also realize that Peyton could likely win ~12 games on his own with a scarecrow holding a clipboard as his coach. Caldwell inherited a really good team that Dungy built. And left that team with a record almost as bad as Cam's Dolphins.

I'd love to see the offense suddenly become a top-10 offense. But I'd be happy to see the offense become more consistent, move the ball, use up the clock, and score points. If Caldwell can do that, great. I he can't do that, then I hope we find someone who can next year.

Gotta love these groundbreaking questions. (So do you plan on using what they call a "forward pass?") ("Are you a boxers guy, or do you prefer briefs?")

berkely raven you forgot to mention that caldwell lost manning in the entire last season and didn't have a really good backup. Nor did you mention that he also was mannings qb coach during mannings best years. nuff said.

I've been wondering why we use Torrey Smith the way we do. Just because he is blazing fast doesn't mean we have to send him on deep routes. I actually think opposing defenses would have a fit if we fed him the ball on more short routes and let him make a guy or two miss.

I really like the sound of running WR screens to Torrey more often. The Steelers and Skins have success with these screens and we have Anquan "so strong" Boldin who can throw up blocks outside the numbers better than more wide receivers. Plus when opposing defenses start expecting these plays, they are more likely to press, which can be risky against guys as fast as Torrey and as strong as Boldin.

Just something I would like to see more of :)

Berkeley_Raven, I was scant milli-seconds from hitting the Plus until I saw the "left the team" part of your statement! Yes, Dungy built the team and yes, Caldwell took over but you failed to mention that Peyton Manning wasn't playing for that vaunted offense!

Now, I am certain that Jim Caldwell is savvy enough to see that, right now, Joe E-Lite can't carry Peyton's cleats, so he is tasked, right now, with getting input from his staff and creating game plans to beat Denver and Cincy!

We'd love to "run the table" but we can survive losing to Ely because he's NFC but not to an AFC team! 11 and 5 as AFC-North Champs ain't too shabby!

Caldwell has been here long enough to witness Cam's piss poor play calling firsthand and i believe that he has learned more of what "NOT" to do and therefore, knowing "WHAT" to do (in order for the offense to be successful) should come relatively easy for him. remember, he has Joe, Rice, and Q to lean on. i believe that these guys will step it up big time in order to help Caldwell be successful as our new O.C. let the no huddle revolution begin! lol!

~Mili

As long as Flacco is happy and has his no huddle offense I think we will do great!! Caldwell is qualified and a good coach, he has will now have to step up! #Istillbelieve

Even handicapped with the loss of Peyton, and being stuck with Kerry Collins, Orlovsky, and Painter (who was almost our #3 QB, and looking a lot better than he did in blue), Caldwell should have mustered out more than 2 wins. He benefited as much, if not more, from his relationship with Peyton.

I'd love to see Caldwell turn Joe into the second coming of Johnny U. But I won't be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Seriously all we need on Offense is a better O-LINE darn-it. Oher is not a " blind side " blocker , his push offs arnt good. .. Just not happy with our offensive line play at all. excluding yanda.

[quote name='themind'seye09' timestamp='1355245472' post='1257968']
I've been wondering why we use Torrey Smith the way we do. Just because he is blazing fast doesn't mean we have to send him on deep routes. I actually think opposing defenses would have a fit if we fed him the ball on more short routes and let him make a guy or two miss.

I really like the sound of running WR screens to Torrey more often. The Steelers and Skins have success with these screens and we have Anquan "so strong" Boldin who can throw up blocks outside the numbers better than more wide receivers. Plus when opposing defenses start expecting these plays, they are more likely to press, which can be risky against guys as fast as Torrey and as strong as Boldin.

Just something I would like to see more of :)
[/quote]

Well hooefully we will now, now that Cam is gone. Hopefully we will see all of our receivers being used differently, because under Cam, no one on our offense was used to their full potential. We have a 12 cylinder offense that has been running on 4 cylinders for 5 years now.

[quote name='Fastfingers' timestamp='1355242151' post='1257882']
We have one of the best kickers. Get him involved more.
[/quote]Exactly. We have trouble getting it close when we need one. I don't think Cam had a drive plan for FG position.

get the kicker more involved? The only way I want him more involved is kicking more points-after the touchdowns

the only thing better than Q pointing to the scoreboard would be if Joe first snap stands up and starts pointing around like peyton....regardless of the play man would I laugh. Seriously though, I wouldn't expect much different, he doesn't seem like much of a gambler either. More screens, more screens more screens. Expecially with all the pressure Joe gets, I just don't see why this hasn't been an option before...

The key to Ray Rice's skill set is to get him in space! Plus, Torrey's much more dangerous in space, midfield, than he is streaking for under-thrown balls!

Dennis needs more timed releases to get him some separation and "Q" is "Q" - get him the ball!

All of the above are schemes used by successful playoff-bound teams who don't necessarily have all the weapons we have!

I think we are still going to see a healthy dose of Rice, but the no-huddle is going to be better handled. Our points per game is going to increase in my mind.

all eyes should not be on flacco, they should be on andy moeller!! he along with the o-line needs a kick in there rear

For the so called hurry up/no huddle offense to be of any benefit, you have to move the ball, get first downs and score. Having a hurry up offense that is great at three and outs helps no one but the other team. Imagine playing for our defense lately and barely having time to catch your breath and its time to get back out there. It also takes a good QB who is effective at reading defenses and making adjustments/calling audibles. Right now, we don't have the personel to effectively run it on a regular basis. Plus, there's alot to be said about those long, clock eating drives and scoring six points. Man, does that make a defense happy and well rested. I hope we don't go to the hurry up alot. Flacco is no Manning or Brady and folks need to accept that and get used to it. Plus, how about scraping up just a bit of emotion, Average Joe? This next game is huge and I just hope we can find a way to get a "W".

For those knocking our OL, its not all their fault. It would help if we had an OC who called creative plays where the whole world knows whats coming. Also having a QB who knows how to move up in the pocket, double pump, move around a bit, even take off once in awhile would make a big difference. Our OL has had the deck stacked against them from day one. Are they great? No. Can and should they improve? For sure. It's just not as much their fault as some make it out to be. Better playcalling and a QB not cemented in place is what we need.

Players have the rest of the week to take a breath, process the change in offensive leadership, workout a kink or 3 and kick Denver's collective butts on Sunday.

Go Ravens ... thanks for the Hope n Change.

@NCMan: running the ball only chews up clock time if you can actually get a 1st down; the only reason that worked for us last night (probably the first time we've called consecutive successful run plays all season) was because Joe threw 3 first half Td's and they were double covering receivers. Welcome to the 21st century. The Pass sets up the run.

Don't get me wrong, we need a balanced attack to wear defenses out and to keep them honest as well as for bad weather games.

[quote name='Raveninexile' timestamp='1355250249' post='1258103']
@NCMan: running the ball only chews up clock time if you can actually get a 1st down; the only reason that worked for us last night (probably the first time we've called consecutive successful run plays all season) was because Joe threw 3 first half Td's and they were double covering receivers. Welcome to the 21st century. The Pass sets up the run.
[/quote]

Hate to disagree with you but Ray had 4 carries for 66 yards so it was no accident that our TE was single covered in the end zone and Joe did make a great pass. It's no accident that we were able to playaction and have Boldin open twice. The run has always and forever will setup the pass. Don't let guys like Peyton and Tom fool you that it's the opposite. Those guys are aliens.

[quote name='fusuymada' timestamp='1355242050' post='1257881']
How about replacing Oher on the left side with the guy who did the job last year at a much better level. If changes are going to be made let's not forget he let both end rushers open shots at Flacco the last two weeks causing strip sacks which led to the points by the opposing team that got the opposing team back in the game. Protect Flacco and give him time and the offense will shine. The decisions about the O-line cost us more than anything else this year. Flacco is a pocket passer, pocket passers need at least 6 blockers on every play and the remaining receivers need to learn how to get separation and catch the darn ball.
[/quote] Yes, and high percentage, chain moving plays will help as well. When everyone is going deep, Flacco is stuck waiting for the play to develope...and when you run the same type of plays over and over, they hardly develope. So yes, Flacco is a pocket passer, but so is Brady. But notice how one offense actually moves methodically, while the other moves in either big chunks, or doesn't move at all.

These Al Davis/Daryle Lamonica, 7 step drops need to be seen seldomly, if at all. We need 3 steps, and bang! Let the WRs do their YAC work!!!

Just because Flacco has a cannon arm, it doesn't mean he needs to throw 65 yards downfield 85% of the time!!!

@Raveninexile....not sure what your point was, but I hope Caldwell helps us get a "W" this week. Something had to change.

Bill Belichick and Tom Brady run NE's offense as a team specific offense...analyze a defense and attack the weakness. Every week/team is a new offense. Do we have to be so plain vanilla and run Ray 20 times a game? Shouldn't the offense ATTACK the DEFENSE?

I have to admit, watching Brady and the Pats offense last night was both exciting and frustrating. Frustrating because I can't help but watch a well oiled top notch efficient offense like that and wonder why we don't run some of those plays and/or use our players like they do. Well, Cam is gone and maybe that will change. I'd like to see us use Doss the way they use Welker. We've got the weapons on Offense.

[quote name='Bruce_Almty' timestamp='1355251237' post='1258129']
Bill Belichick and Tom Brady run NE's offense as a team specific offense...analyze a defense and attack the weakness. Every week/team is a new offense. Do we have to be so plain vanilla and run Ray 20 times a game? Shouldn't the offense ATTACK the DEFENSE?
[/quote]

Are you kidding me? A new offense every week?

Once again Brady is an alien, BUT you are not going to convince me that he is running a different offense every week. Every team has their base set of plays that they are going to run every week. One week a vertical pass to Welker may not be the best option, but the next week it may be an option depending on the other team's defense. But don't think all of a sudden they are running a new offensive play that has Welker running a deep because they all of a sudden has changed up their offense. Just one week the defense allowed him to get open and Tom threw to him, but the next week on the same play the defense didn't allow him to get open and Tom didn't throw to him.

so the fans got their wish and Cam is gone. Now our fans want a new DC. Coordinators don't create great defenses with average defensive players. You need great players for that. Anyone see the NFL Network show about Ray Lewis' DC who went off to be head coaches?
Where are they now? Nolan, DelRio, Ryan, Singletary, Marvin Lewis. None have produced Super Bowls or dominant defenses without Ray Lewis. Leave Dean Pees alone.

[quote name='NCMan' timestamp='1355251615' post='1258133']
I have to admit, watching Brady and the Pats offense last night was both exciting and frustrating. Frustrating because I can't help but watch a well oiled top notch efficient offense like that and wonder why we don't run some of those plays and/or use our players like they do. Well, Cam is gone and maybe that will change. I'd like to see us use Doss the way they use Welker. We've got the weapons on Offense.
[/quote]

I agree and disagree. Tom Brady is Tom Brady and we can't expect Joe to be like him. Were I agree with you is we don't use our weapons in a creative way. How many times have we run a WR screen to Torrey? How many times do we single Ray Rice on a LB and try a slant or let him over deep on a LB? How many times do we have Rice and Pierce on the field the same time? How many times do we incorporate Tyrod in the offense running the wildcat? How many times do we do a reverse pass or flea flicker? We have several guys that we can incorporate in our offense to do these type of things and if we have 1 or 2 big plays a game just by using a couple of creative things each week would help out the offense.