Training Camp      Stadium Practices     

Watch LIVE Press Conferences Saturday at 4:00 pm ET

Jerry Rosburg, Gary Kubiak, and Dean Pees will address the media following training camp practice.
*Time is subject to change
Close

Photo

31st in penalties

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 descent into the maelstrom

descent into the maelstrom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

I don't understand why there's almost no talk about how undisciplined we are with respect to penalties. We are 31st in the NFL. Rice has just over 100 yards more rushing for the season than we have in penalty yards. In other words, almost all of his ground game just barely makes up for stupid mistakes moving us backwards. I wonder if our coaches don't understand basic arithmetic, That's the only reason I can see that keeps them from addressing this issue.

In each of our 3 close losses, we committed costly penalties late. There are a lot of places to improve this team, but it seems to me that basic skills and discipline would be the most simple and productive place to start. (Yes, I know that some are bad calls, but those are a distinct minority. That doesn't excuse the rest of our idiocy.)

#2 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,275 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

We do lack discipline, but remember we had the replacement refs for the first few weeks. In one of those games, they called an astronomical amount of penalties. No doubt we're still highly penalized, but it is skewed a bit.

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#3 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,101 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

We do lack discipline, but remember we had the replacement refs for the first few weeks. In one of those games, they called an astronomical amount of penalties. No doubt we're still highly penalized, but it is skewed a bit.

skewed for everyone. All teams were on the same playing field so that's not a good arguement

#4 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,671 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Save for 2009, the team has been in the bottom or dead last in total penalties and penalty yardage throughout the Harbaugh era. Pretty bad that the problem's never really been fixed.

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 11 December 2012 - 10:49 AM.

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#5 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,275 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

skewed for everyone. All teams were on the same playing field so that's not a good arguement

I know what you're saying. However, there was one game where they set the record for penalties in a game, for both teams. One of those teams was us.

Edited by rmw10, 11 December 2012 - 10:50 AM.

Proud Owner/GM/Coach of the Portland Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

#6 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

We have had a few extra false starts that come along with the youth on the O line. But I think about the BS "unnecessary roughness" calls against Pollard, Ed, Haloti, etc.. Those have to inflate the yardage. Tack on some PI calls and I'm not sure you can draw the conclusion that the Ravens have been "undisciplined" this year.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#7 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

If Harbs first year (the Frank Walker days) we were heavily penalized. Then he seemed to clean it up for a couple of years... Now it seems as if we're back to the old ways. Needs to get corrected.

#8 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Save for 2009, the team has been in the bottom or dead last in total penalties and penalty yardage throughout the Harbaugh era. Pretty bad that the problem's never really been fixed.

You fail to mention that the Ravens ranked near the bottom for years prior to Harbaugh's arrival as well.

I think it's well documented that we have had the "Bad Boy" image for years and the refs have seemed to always call our games, shall I say, pretty tight.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#9 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,671 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

You fail to mention that the Ravens ranked near the bottom for years prior to Harbaugh's arrival as well.

I think it's well documented that we have had the "Bad Boy" image for years and the refs have seemed to always call our games, shall I say, pretty tight.

Billick's teams were undesciplined. For anyone that's followed this team long, that should be common knowledge. But I didn't mention that because I don't think it's a major factor to the current team. Harbaugh has been coaching this team going on five full seasons. It's a much different squad than the last one Billick coached. I'm not putting the penalty problems squarely on him but he and his staff do deserve some blame.

As for image, the only year I think that played a noticeable factor was '09 when the DBs were getting called for PI seemingly other down.

I'd say the bigger issue has been indiscipline by the o-line and DBs just getting beat and being forced to grab.
"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#10 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,348 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

It was fixed last year. I figured this topic was going to come up so I investigated a bit. I believe the team was fourth in terms of lowest penalties last year. That being said, it is a major issue this year and can't just be attributed to being a younger team. I thought Harbaugh fixed this problem and that was something he could hang his hat on, but it's been a bit ridiculous this year. And there are so many dumb penalties, constantly getting roughing the passer type crap.

#11 nk02442

nk02442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

YEP.
I may be bias, but i see an unproportional amount of questionable/bad penalties against the Ravens then most teams. I consider myself a football fan and if there is a game on, I am most likey watching it.

Ngatas Penalty was a clear example. Textbook clean hit into RG3 chest.

Hell if your going to take a 15yarder anyway, might as well go for the head and knock him out for the rest of the season.

Edited by nk02442, 11 December 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#12 nk02442

nk02442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

That was ONE year out of 5. You must have selectivley forgot about the Frank Walker years.

#13 Twistidfunk

Twistidfunk

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

I don't think you can look at yards as much as #of you penalties. PI calls really swing penalty yards.

Either way though we have a lot of penalties

#14 black blood purple passion

black blood purple passion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

YEP.
I may be bias, but i see an unproportional amount of questionable/bad penalties against the Ravens then most teams. I consider myself a football fan and if there is a game on, I am most likey watching it.

Ngatas Penalty was a clear example. Textbook clean hit into RG3 chest.

Hell if your going to take a 15yarder anyway, might as well go for the head and knock him out for the rest of the season.

That was my coaches theory on facemasks, if your gonna do it, make it a 15 yarder and brake his neck...lol needless to say our team had a bad boy image as well, and the refs hated us.

#15 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,079 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

2011 & 2010 were good years. Not sure what happened this year. Perhaps the lack of the real refs at training camp hurt us more than people think. Remember, Harbaugh would bring the refs here as consultants during camp to get the guys ready.

That's my best guess.

#16 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,079 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

That was my coaches theory on facemasks, if your gonna do it, make it a 15 yarder and brake his neck...lol needless to say our team had a bad boy image as well, and the refs hated us.

Yeah, except if the real players do that, we have suspensions on top of fines & penalties. Lol, I know that wasn't a suggestion from you, just saying in case someone else gets the idea.

#17 black blood purple passion

black blood purple passion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yeah, except if the real players do that, we have suspensions on top of fines & penalties. Lol, I know that wasn't a suggestion from you, just saying in case someone else gets the idea.

lol he was a very dirty coach, I never played dirty though because your going to get what you give, and I didn't feel the desire to walk with a permanent limp due to a cheap shot at me knee....or worse.

our penalties are infuriating though, and does anyone find its almost laughable when we get them. We'll play all game perfect, then in the 4th quarter we'll finally get some momentum then offside, holding, facemasks, etc etc all when we can't afford to lose an inch...

#18 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

That's what happens when you are starting younger players. The vets have a much less problem with penalties but with all the young guys starting it happens a lot more.

#19 baltravens

baltravens

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

I am not following us until the end of the year. Penalties, injuries, coaching, Ozzie, and Cameron have all put me in the dumper.

#20 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

If Harbs first year (the Frank Walker days) we were heavily penalized. Then he seemed to clean it up for a couple of years... Now it seems as if we're back to the old ways. Needs to get corrected.

It it wernt for him we would of have just twenty penalty yards that season. ;)
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users