78 replies to this topic

#1 Worthy

Worthy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

With the Patriots win over the Texans tonight, the only team that stands in their way on the rest of their schedule is the 49ers. They have 3 games left with 49ers, Jags, and Dolphins. With a Ravens' win on Sunday over the Broncos, and a 49er victory over the Patriots, that would still give us the opportunity for a #2 seed. However, even if the Ravens win, the Patriots can simply win out their schedule and control the #2 seed.

We need to take care of business this Sunday and with a win -- we'd be AFC North Champs along with a home playoff game.

But this is my question to y'all. IF the Patriots win on Sunday night against the 49ers, do you rest your core players that have been injured throughout the season -- or at least really make sure their snaps are reduced dramatically so we're healthy going into the post season and perhaps lose a few games -- or do you try to win every game and perhaps go into the post season banged up?

Personally, I'd be inclined to make sure that Suggs, Ray Lewis, Ngata, Arthur Jones, Ed Reed, Pollard, Marshall Yanda, Matt Birk and Boldin were as healthy as possible for a playoff run. So I'd reduce their roles big time if the Pats win over the 49ers. Plus this is real game time experience for the younger players to see what they can do with the salary cap really affecting this team next year.

I would like to see what Gino Gradkowski can do now that he's got a 1/2 year of experience under his belt and see if he's ready to step up next year. Can Tandon Doss be that possession type receiver? How much help do we need in the offseason along our DL -- so let's take an extensive look at Hall and Tyson. I'd like to see how developed C. Brown and Asa are in real time coverage.

The bottom line is that we need to take care of business on Sunday. But if the Pats win, I'm inclined to rest our defense starters a reduced role against the Giants and Bengals to get them as healthy as possible for a real playoff run this year. As hard as it is -- I'd be telling Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs and Ngata (I realize these men would eat me for breakfast! LOL) for the sake of a Super Bowl run -- you'all need to accept a 20 snap role the next 2 weeks and get rested for our run at the Super Bowl! I'd rather go into the playoff picture losing a few games and being healthy on defense then trying to win out. This team has enough veteran leadership, and enough playoff experience, to win it this year! The problem seems to be -- are we healthy enough to win it?

So what do you think?

#2 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

Good question. I'd rest em. Let everyone try to get as healthy as possible if the division is locked and start worrying about the post season.

#3 usmccharles

usmccharles

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

Ive never been a fan of resting players. You take the chance of showing up rusty and considering how inconsistent we have been i would think the more reps the better. But when you talk about players that are already injured, thats a case by case situation imo. I dont think suggs or ray should play until the post season, or just highly reduce their snaps.

Edit-I guess i could throw ed in there considering hes always hurt.

Edited by usmccharles, 11 December 2012 - 05:59 AM.

KCCO

#4 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,826 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

Im not sure losing in epic proportion with 2nd stringers and putting a media circus on us 24/7 will do us any good.

History shows resting players has never done much to help teams win superbowl. The packers, colts, falcons all tried it. They all ate dirt.

#5 Worthy

Worthy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:39 AM

Im not sure losing in epic proportion with 2nd stringers and putting a media circus on us 24/7 will do us any good.

History shows resting players has never done much to help teams win superbowl. The packers, colts, falcons all tried it. They all ate dirt.

Who says we'd lose in epic proportions? I wasn't suggesting a total sitting. But limiting snaps to key 3rd down situations in games for Suggs, Ray Lewis and Reed down the stretch won't hurt. Those teams you mentioned had bye weeks along with sitting the final game. So it was a 2 game rest for them. I'm not saying sitting them completely -- but putting them in prime situations to maximize the benefits of having our best team on the field while getting them healthy for a playoff run!

#6 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

If we have the AFC north locked up and winning more games would do nothing to advance us, then rest them. Let them heal, they need it. I would still have the offense play some just to get a chance to gell with whatever changes that Caldwell has planned.
It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#7 Worthy

Worthy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

If we have the AFC north locked up and winning more games would do nothing to advance us, then rest them. Let them heal, they need it. I would still have the offense play some just to get a chance to gell with whatever changes that Caldwell has planned.

I think the offense should play out with the exception of the lineman that could use the rest -- Birk and Yanda as well as limiting snaps for Boldin just to see how well Tandon Doss can play his position. I think Flacco should keep on playing to keep his rhythm going into the playoffs. Perhaps limit Rices touches to 10 or so if the hip pointer is a concern.

#8 EricH

EricH

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

If the Pats beat the 49ers and we have they and/or the Texans in our future, do you seriously think it even matters?
And I'm not looking for 'any given Sunday' rha-rha.
I mean both of those teams are at a completely different level than the Ravens.

Watching the Pats last night just made me scratch my head. THAT was an amazing display of offense against an excellent defense.

#9 Worthy

Worthy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

Watching the Pats last night just made me scratch my head. THAT was an amazing display of offense against an excellent defense.

True! But we did beat the Pats this year already! And we should have beat them last year.

#10 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,032 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

It seems to me, they have 3 teams in their way.. Miami plays NE tough. They could beat them.

#11 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,032 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

If the Pats beat the 49ers and we have they and/or the Texans in our future, do you seriously think it even matters?
And I'm not looking for 'any given Sunday' rha-rha.
I mean both of those teams are at a completely different level than the Ravens.

Was it really that amazing? The few prolific offenses the Texans have played... NE, GB, DET ... they lost 2 of them and it should have been all three... the Turkey Day Debacle was a gift. People seem to think Houston was unbeatable. Folks forget that they had extra motivation from a tough loss to GB, THEN a bye week, then they play the Ravens... We were in horrible position to win that game, especially on the road, with our newfound injury issues..

Edited by H8R, 11 December 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#12 EricH

EricH

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

I'm hoping the 49ers play them strong and we figure P. Manning out this year. That would give me some hope. ;)

#13 EricH

EricH

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

the Turkey Day Debacle was a gift.

True :D

#14 CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

We have not secured a playoff berth yet. The more games we win, the better our chances of securing a top seed. If by chance our records tie with New England's I believe we have the tie breaker.

We are better off winning out, carrying momentum into the playoffs.

Edited by CorvusCorax, 11 December 2012 - 08:35 AM.

Posted Image

#15 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,032 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

I didn't include the Denver game, because let's be honest.. the GOAT wasn't at full strength yet.

#16 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Beating the Broncos with that hall of fame QB and that pass rush? I don't see it happening, we couldn't beat him when we were healthy

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#17 CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Beating the Broncos with that hall of fame QB and that pass rush? I don't see it happening, we couldn't beat him when we were healthy

That's what concerns me. It's going to be an ugly game. I think I might miss it too.

Posted Image

#18 Guest_llwillow1231_*

Guest_llwillow1231_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

when we beat denver and IF the patriots lose we should rest the defense . I think the more time the offense gets to play the better my only fear is flacco getting hurt then we are done before we even start.

#19 Guest_wasabiebird_*

Guest_wasabiebird_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

We will not beat the broncos we are too injured I don't see joe being able to keep up with peyton. and there's no way kapernick beats brady . we are going on the road this year for playoffs . eli and dalton we got .

Edited by wasabiebird, 11 December 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#20 Latch

Latch

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Win out! We need to put ourselves in the best position for the playoffs, and everyone would be jumping all over us if we basically folded when we won our division. I agree that the second string could use the reps, but that's not our top priority right now—our top priority is getting to New Orleans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users