Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

acosta2277

Dean Pees Next In Line?

132 posts in this topic

With Cam Cameron fired, is Dean Pees next to get fired? I really want him fired. I know its not a "nice" thing to say, but i want him to never have a coaching job down to the pop-Warner level ever again. He has taken this once "Great" defense and made them horrific. Ill give him a little slack we have a bunch of injuries. But even at our healthiest, our defense was still nearly invisible. The bottom line is that, were making major adjustments to our coaching staff, and Dean Pees needs to be apart of one of our adjustments.

Pfff, Pees has done a great job considering the best player on our defense was out before the first snap of the season and our two greatest players in Suggs and Ray Lewis haven't seen a single snap together this year in the regular season. 'Bunch of injuries' doesn't really cover starting the third, fourth, fifth CBs, LBs who are really STers, your All Pro DT being hurt most of the season and horrible linebacking corps. it's a miracle we aren't getting blown out like we did against Houston every game. Give credit where it's due, Pees is doing a heck of a job.

[quote name='rlh445' timestamp='1355182832' post='1256770']
Pfff, Pees has done a great job considering the best player on our defense was out before the first snap of the season and our two greatest players in Suggs and Ray Lewis haven't seen a single snap together this year in the regular season. 'Bunch of injuries' doesn't really cover starting the third, fourth, fifth CBs, LBs who are really STers, your All Pro NT being hurt most of the season and horrible linebacking corps. it's a miracle we aren't getting blown out like we did against Houston every game. Give credit where it's due, Pees is doing a heck of a job.
[/quote]Thank you,
Any non-Ravens fan looks at our defense and says "Who is that" We have a squad full of 2nd stringers and injured ex pro bowlers. Very few exceptions to that man. I'm not saying that he's as good as Chuck was, nor am I a Dean Pees fan but he's done everything he can do. And players are responding to his efforts, look at Author Jones out there balling now. Paul Kruger looking like a promising pass rusher again.

So you want the players to learn an all new defense once again? Pees gets a pass this season, if he can't do anything when our D is healthy and our top players are out there then we can discuss firing him.

Everyone saying he is doing a good job... We had everybody at the beginning of the season and the defense still sucked. Pees is Mattison 2.0. Zone coverage does not work for the Ravens. WRs on the other team are always wide open.

[quote name='JO_75' timestamp='1355183253' post='1256787']
So you want the players to learn an all new defense once again? Pees gets a pass this season, if he can't do anything when our D is healthy and our top players are out there then we can discuss firing him.
[/quote]
Enthusiastically Seconded!

Why would anyone want to keep him? Remember when Rex was here, and the defense actually strategically blitzed from different angles with a purpose? That doesnt happen anymore. Its a four man rush, whichever four players it doesnt matter, but we are sitting back in zone, hoping that three 300 pounders +suggs/kruger can generate a rush. I wanna see aggressive defense again. It doesnt matter which players we have and dont have, there are still PLENTY of players left that can run a complex and successful scheme.

Rushing four is not Ravens football.

[quote name='tctony' timestamp='1355183334' post='1256795']
Everyone saying he is doing a good job... We had everybody at the beginning of the season and the defense still sucked. Pees is Mattison 2.0. Zone coverage does not work for the Ravens. WRs on the other team are always wide open.
[/quote]
It is hard to play man to man when your two best man to man CBs are out, and you have trash with Cary Williams in. Move Grahm ahead next season, draft a man to man DB

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1355183436' post='1256802']
It is hard to play man to man when your two best man to man CBs are out, and you have trash with Cary Williams in. Move Grahm ahead next season, draft a man to man DB
[/quote]

Cary is not trash. Cary is the 2nd best corner on this team with everyone healthy.

[quote name='Warren2621' timestamp='1355183425' post='1256800']
Why would anyone want to keep him? Remember when Rex was here, and the defense actually strategically blitzed from different angles with a purpose? That doesnt happen anymore. Its a four man rush, whichever four players it doesnt matter, but we are sitting back in zone, hoping that three 300 pounders +suggs/kruger can generate a rush. I wanna see aggressive defense again. It doesnt matter which players we have and dont have, there are still PLENTY of players left that can run a complex and successful scheme.

[/quote]I hear you man... But Rex Ryan had some of the best defensive talent this league has ever seen. His Jets defense is having the same issues as our defense is having.

One can be as fancy as they want to be with their blitzes, but if your defenders don't reach the QB the defense is getting scorched.

[/quote]

Mattison fielded a top 10 defense during his tenure, so I hope Pees is the second, upgraded version. Zone coverage has worked fine for us in the past. Stop being a 'what have you done for me lately' fan.

[quote name='Warren2621' timestamp='1355183425' post='1256800']

[/quote]

Yea, I do remember when Rex did that. I also remember it getting us straight torched every which way but up as well. Nobody EVER wants to talk about THAT aspect of 'Organized Chaos' though. Pfft. Rex Ryan had one of the most prolific defenses in the history of football to work with, if he tried using that same strategy with the guys we have now no amount of points scored by the offense would be enough. Take off the Rex/blitz/Ravens 2000 defense shades, guys!

No. Pees can't be faulted for injuries and for the fact that our D-Line outside of Ngata is so sub-par that it isn't even funny. Load up on defense through the Draft/FA and see what he can do with a healthy defense.

[quote name='rlh445' timestamp='1355184138' post='1256823']
Yea, I do remember when Rex did that. I also remember it getting us straight torched every which way but up as well. Nobody EVER wants to talk about THAT aspect of 'Organized Chaos' though. Pfft. Rex Ryan had one of the most prolific defenses in the history of football to work with, if he tried using that same strategy with the guys we have now no amount of points scored by the offense would be enough. Take off the Rex/blitz/Ravens 2000 defense shades, guys!
[/quote]I don't even bring that up because most wont acknowledge it lol. This was the reason we always lost to Peyton, he read the blitzes and picked us apart.

[quote name='rlh445' timestamp='1355184007' post='1256820']
Mattison fielded a top 10 defense during his tenure, so I hope Pees is the second, upgraded version. Zone coverage has worked fine for us in the past. Stop being a 'what have you done for me lately' fan.
[/quote]

Mattison coasted off the immense talent we had. His Ravens defense was terrible compared to what he came before and after him.

NFL - Not for long. You're judged by what you've done lately. Lately i.e. this entire season, Pees has had a lackluster scheme and his defense can't make a critical stop, ever. Prevent defense on the 2 yard line? SMH.

I'd like him gone. The massive amount of injuries has certainly not helped him any, but Pees' scheme is just wrong. The Ravens defense should be really aggressively, and with our corners we should be player press-man coverage. Zone defense does not work in today's league, especially when your pass rush is essentially non-existent. These quarterbacks are too good nowadays, they will carve up a zone defense if they have the time.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1355184998' post='1256847']
He's not who I want gone next. I have a couple, one being our o line coach.
[/quote]

andy moeller.

[/quote] Actually we didn't have Suggs to start

My other question is why people are continually clamoring for our back-end to play more press coverage? Have you guys been watching any football this season? Webby in man is fine, Cary in man is a disaster. The guy hardly looks back, seems surprised when the guy he's supposed to be covering has the ball thrown to him and quite frankly even WITH five to ten yards of cushion in front of him still somehow gets burned - and you want this guy on an island with a half decent receiver with Ed Reed (who is making horrrrrible decisions this year with subpar tackling) having to babysit him?! Okay. Maybe if Webb was healthy and Jimmy we could try to get more into a press coverage type rhythm. Right now, I totally get why we're using a zone set with periodic spot man coverage because quite frankly, there's a reason we're giving up yards but not TDs, and the reason is our guys NEED that cushion whether we as fans like it or not.

[quote name='tctony' timestamp='1355184914' post='1256841']

Mattison coasted off the immense talent we had. His Ravens defense was terrible compared to what he came before and after him.

NFL - Not for long. You're judged by what you've done lately. Lately i.e. this entire season, Pees has had a lackluster scheme and his defense can't make a critical stop, ever. Prevent defense on the 2 yard line? SMH.
[/quote] So having the best red zone D for most of the season isn't considered to be consistently making critical stops?

I've said all along, Pees is doing the best he can with what he has had available. He has made adjustments on the fly and figured out ways to win games. Our Red Zone defense has been elite for much of the season and our scoring defense is still top 10 in points allowed.

I'm not sure how anyone can expect this defense to be any better than what it is considering all the injuries. The fact that Cary Williams is the best CB on this team says enough by itself.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1355184998' post='1256847']
He's not who I want gone next. I have a couple, one being our o line coach.
[/quote]

Moeller is another one that needs to go.

[/quote]

Suggs was out. Kruger and Upshaw can't start together. Suggs effectively shut down the run game on his side of the field and rushed the passer at the same time. He and Ngata (who was hurt) are the ones who should be drawing double teams. Have you seen how well Kruger has done since Suggs came back? Suggs and Ngata practically take up 4 players on the offensive line. Our Nose Tackles are horrible.

If we started the season with Suggs Ray Lewis WEBB all starting this would have turned out differently. Upshaw has made so much progress especially since he has pretty much been playing as the number one OLB this year.

I don't blame Pees for any of this. He has to call zone because you can't simply run man coverage all the time. Just because our corners and linebackers have been playing awful zone coverage doesn't make it Pees fault. I haven't agreed with his play calling all the time but you can run man coverage and blitzes every down. It just doesn't work like that. The defense should be able to do it all.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1355186435' post='1256891']
I've said all along, Pees is doing the best he can with what he has had available. He has made adjustments on the fly and figured out ways to win games. Our Red Zone defense has been elite for much of the season and our scoring defense is still top 10 in points allowed.

I'm not sure how anyone can expect this defense to be any better than what it is considering all the injuries. The fact that Cary Williams is the best CB on this team says enough by itself.
[/quote]

Dang it !
get out of my head.
That was going to be my EXACT post.

Really people. Pees saw a problem and made adjustments. Since week three ( ? ) our defense has been dropping like flies.
We will have hot dog vendors and parking attendants from M&T suiting up and playing on defense pretty soon.

With the tools at Pees disposal he is doing JUST FINE. No not great, just fine.
Lets talk with a healthy team then go from there.

You guys are blind. Please look at the last drive against the Redskins and tell me thats good defense - go ahead, tell me.

Moeller needs to go before Pees does. At least with the injury-riddled defense we have, they've at least gotten a little better. Kruger and Art Jones are figuring out how to pass rush and our thin CBs are playing pretty well all things considered. Our biggest weakness now that Cam is gone (hopefully Caldwell isn't a huge dissapointment) is our O-line and LBs. If you give him another year, Mr. Pees can restore the Ravens defensive name.

Dean Pees is a miracle worker as far as I'm concerned. He's really turned the unit around. In the last game,(prior to the final drive) he made half time adjustments and shut down one of the most unpredictable and explosive offenses in football with most of his starters on the sidelines.

Dude, we might be blind but you sure are deaf.
WE KNOW THE DEFENSE IS FLAWED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you break your leg you dont put a band aid on it.

With the rag tag crew we have for defense even Rex, or Pagano, or who ever else you can come up with would struggle.

Its like asking a milk truck to perform like a Mazzaratti.

Dean Pees loves the 3man pass rush... lets hope the Jets let go of Rex Ryan and he wants to come back home.

Our defense isn't playing great because we lack great players.

Webb is out
Lewis is out
Suggs has been out
Ngata is banged up
Ed Reed is 1/5 of what he used to be

Bernard Pollard is our best player out there.

[quote name='Alexir' timestamp='1355191670' post='1257084']
Our defense isn't playing great because we lack great players.

Webb is out
Lewis is out
Suggs has been out
Ngata is banged up
Ed Reed is 1/5 of what he used to be

Bernard Pollard is our best player out there.
[/quote]
Exactly. Anyone that doesn't know or understand this just leaves me scratching my head. All our top players or either injured or too banged up to plau 100% and we have a bunch of guys that never started before trying to step up playing in a new defense as far as Pees coming in.

They will give Pees the benefit of doubt due to the massive number of injuries on defense

Starters injured: Suggs,Lewis,Webb ,Ngata,McPhee ,Smith,Ellerbe,McLain ,Pollard ,Reed and on and on

You can't judge Pees accurately yet because of this

Um...zone defense doesn't work. If we aren't going to cover anybody, we might as well bring pressure. That being said, in years past, we used to disguise our pressure, now we just stand there and let the QB read it.

He hasn't even been here one season and has had a rash of injuries to deal with. Once again, excuse the pun, but lets not be too "rash" with this. Cam had the better part of 5 years here - Pees is our 4th defensive coordinator in 5 years, and he has no Suggs, no Webb, no Lewis, unhealthy Ngata, etc. More importantly, who would we get to replace him? We struck gold with Pags, but honestly how many people out there thought Pags would do what he did last year? Certainly not me. We could just as easily promote a guy and he could be worse than this.

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1355192975' post='1257148']
Um...zone defense doesn't work. If we aren't going to cover anybody, we might as well bring pressure. That being said, in years past, we used to disguise our pressure, now we just stand there and let the QB read it.
[/quote]

Again....who is bringing the pass rush? Upshaw and Kruger....Our defense isn't like the old times, too many injuries and too young.

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1355194039' post='1257192']
He hasn't even been here one season and has had a rash of injuries to deal with. Once again, excuse the pun, but lets not be too "rash" with this. Cam had the better part of 5 years here - Pees is our 4th defensive coordinator in 5 years, and he has no Suggs, no Webb, no Lewis, unhealthy Ngata, etc. More importantly, who would we get to replace him? We struck gold with Pags, but honestly how many people out there thought Pags would do what he did last year? Certainly not me. We could just as easily promote a guy and he could be worse than this.
[/quote]

I also question whether Suggs is healthy as I have not seen the same burst of years past. Smith is out. Ellerbe is out. McClain went out in the 2nd half of Skins game. McPhee has been out. Reed is hurt. Lewis is out.

I would like to see some zone blitzing if we are going to play zone to create some pressure and not giving QBs all day to throw against us.

[quote name='Alexir' timestamp='1355194629' post='1257219']

Again....who is bringing the pass rush? Upshaw and Kruger....Our defense isn't like the old times, too many injuries and too young.
[/quote]

I would be happy with Graham on a cb blitz or something

For me the jury is still out on Pees. The salary cap really did this defense in. we just lost too many integral players. I am not sure anyone could have done much better.

[quote name='tctony' timestamp='1355183565' post='1256809']
Cary is not trash. Cary is the 2nd best corner on this team with everyone healthy.
[/quote]
Considering this team only has one corner who I even want to see on the field outside of special teams, thats not very reasurring. Cary gets Torched, has poor fundementals, and for some reason, after playing the game for 15+ years- doesn not grasp the concept of playing the ball.

[quote name='jaege' timestamp='1355195472' post='1257252']
For me the jury is still out on Pees. The salary cap really did this defense in. we just lost too many integral players. I am not sure anyone could have done much better.
[/quote]

That and keeping lewis and reed around. Belecheck would have traded both of them to needy teams for 1st rounders and restocked his team with top 15 talent. That is why they are the best team in football and ravens are going to look the the eagles as long as the current crew stays in charge.

[quote name='nk02442' timestamp='1355195632' post='1257261']
Considering this team only has one corner who I even want to see on the field outside of special teams, thats not very reasurring. [b]Cary[/b] gets Torched, has poor fundementals, and for some reason, after playing the game for 15+ years- doesn not grasp the concept of playing the ball.
[/quote]

Cary's been playing for 15+ years? What Cary are you talking about?

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1355195785' post='1257263']
Cary's been playing for 15+ years? What Cary are you talking about?
[/quote]

I think he's referring to the fact that, since Cary Williams will be 28 at the end of the month, and he's probably played football since middle school, he's been playing for at least 15 years.

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1355195909' post='1257273']
I think he's referring to the fact that, since Cary Williams will be 28 at the end of the month, and he's probably played football since middle school, he's been playing for at least 15 years.
[/quote]

Oh, i thought he meant NFL experience. My apologies then nk02442

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1355196002' post='1257276']
Oh, i thought he meant NFL experience. My apologies then nk02442
[/quote]

Yea I assume most of these guys have played since they were little unless they are freaks like Jimmy Grahm or JPP.

No Biggy.

One thing I was irked about with Pees game plan in the Skins game was on the onset he used a very light formation. Once the front seven was a base 34 with Ngata, Jones, Kemo/Cody the Skins run game was slowed down considerably. The 43 front used at the start of the game could not stop the run at all, Pees did adjust, I will give him that.

Also with our secondary(no Webb/Smith) and pass rush weakened(no Suggs) it is nearly impossible to play anything but bend, don't break offense.

I am really upset when our defense are playing like them Redskins, but I can't blame Pees with all of our superstars out with injuries. If we have half of our superstars back, Pees will make haters eating crows......

[quote name='nk02442' timestamp='1355195740' post='1257262']
That and keeping lewis and reed around. Belecheck would have traded both of them to needy teams for 1st rounders and restocked his team with top 15 talent. That is why they are the best team in football and ravens are going to look the the eagles as long as the current crew stays in charge.
[/quote]

Wow. You are even more ruthless than I am. Lol. Reed and Lewis are draws for the fans. This is still a business, and it is about making money. Winning certainly helps in that effort, but there are financially productive teams that never win. The personalities also add to the fan experience and draw them in. After all we are not buying Ravens jerseys, we are buying Lewis or Ngata or Smith jerseys. A player that is still reasonably productive but is still a cash cow is a player that an owner wants to keep.