89 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,804 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

The Ravens offense won’t undergo major changes, but Jim Caldwell may implement minor tweaks.

View the full article

#2 KidNme

KidNme

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Good luck!
That's all I have to say.
3 games left in the regular season to work it out.
It will be interesting if Caldwell gives Joe the reins or is he just going to be more creative with the playbook.
Another exciting bit of news that will make this home game against Denver, all that much better!
GO RAVENS!

#3 Bohica5

Bohica5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

As long as he makes joe Peytonlike......He's got a full time gig....

#4 Berkeley_Raven

Berkeley_Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I don't mind the plays, I mind the way they were utilized. Cam was predictable and uninspired.

Best of luck Mr. Caldwell, earn that invite back to have the job next year.

#5 grand prix

grand prix

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

long overdue

#6 RavenFan28105

RavenFan28105

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

I love how you all complain about Cameron and now we fire him, you complain about Caldwell. Everyone has to start somewhere so give this man a chance. Plus, it really can't get worse than having Cam Cameron. So please just give this man a chance before you start bashing him.

#7 JakeNumber55

JakeNumber55

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

I was wondering this one thing, in the game yesterday one of the broadcasters said Flacco loves the no-huddle and wish he could run it all game. If he likes it so much why arent we running it?

#8 ravinmaniac52

ravinmaniac52

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

So you fire the coach who's Offensive System you still going to use?

Is that kind of like moving in with the girl you got divorced from?

#9 Purple Dawg 96

Purple Dawg 96

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Give Joe the Rock! He knows when to Run and Pass from the Shotgun! And Caldwell, can tweak that! 30 points a game is a "MUST"!

#10 frankthebunny

frankthebunny

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

"Minor tweaks" like, hmmmm, I don't know... actually using the middle of the field? Maybe implementing more than 3 routes for receivers?

#11 ravens7575

ravens7575

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

It may sound strange, but Cameron actually had some good plays in his system. The problem is he rarely used them and ran bad plays at critical junctions. Here's hoping Caldwell will have more of a feel for the game than Cam did. Let Joe run his no-huddle while giving Rice the appropriate number of touches (which is what we did for the first four games of the season!)

#12 blitzking33

blitzking33

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

So you fire the coach who's Offensive System you still going to use?

Is that kind of like moving in with the girl you got divorced from?

Not quite. You can use the same system and put other guys that are more suited for the role. You can also use the same system and use it strategically by knowing when to use it.
I mean, you don't actually want a new playbook in a week do you?

#13 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,022 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

Of course not, you can't install a new system in a week.

We just need better situational playcalling. No deep bombs on 3rd and 2.

#14 GO_Ravens

GO_Ravens

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

@ravinmaniac52--- Why would Caldwell tell the media that he's going to change the system any wy it's none of there business of course you tell them there will be no changes then the opposing team wouldn't know what to expect.

#15 WLARavensFan

WLARavensFan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Cam's plays weren't the problem; it was his play calling. There's a big difference, hence why Caldwell is using the same system not to mention it's the end of the season and you can't implement a new system in a week. Cam's plays were decent, and some quite good. The problem was the order in which he called said plays. Typical three-down call for Cam: shot 50 yards downfield to Torrey that goes incomplete (that hasn't been working all season) and then a run play on second down for three yards to set Joe up for third and long. He never gave Joe a chance. The other famous Cam three down plays were run-run-pass, which of course leads to three and out when you do it over and over again.

#16 btfan2

btfan2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

I don't have a problem with letting Cam go. I do have a problem with taking a guy who has never been an OC and putting him in that position.

He was not the head coach at Indy Manning was, thats why when Manning got hurt they won how many games 1??

He's been Joe's QB coach for 6-7 months and Joe has gotten worse. I don't think Harbaugh or Biscotti look very deep. On paper Caldwell had a winning team. Just like the Bronco's do now what's the common denominator - Manning.

It seems to me Harbaugh got mad at Cam yesterday and boom he's gone. There was no thought, look at the big picture, concern about next month. Harbaugh is not a good decision maker, he is not a thoughtful person and certainly not a very good coach.

He is a good manager and a great song and dance man. We have lost out depth with players, made bad decisions with talent. Harbaugh walked in the Ravens org and took over a very,very good team, now the depth is almost depleted and we are barey ordinary. Because harbaugh is barey ordinary.

This not a hate Harbaugh post, he's a good man, Cam is a good man. I just watch these decisions that end up hurting the team and wonder who's paying attention.

I'm hoping Caldwell turns out to be great. Of course anyone paying attention knows we are not going to the SB, not with this "D" and all these injuries. That's the main reason I think Harbaugh is not being honest, hey thats just me.

#17 Balmere Boy

Balmere Boy

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Use the middle of the field, indeed. Crossing patterns, pickoffs, no more four yard passes when you need fifteen. Get the ball to Ray six or seven yards out and let him GO. If he calls the same stuff cameron did I suggest he be fored post haste.

#18 CQ1

CQ1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Please toss out the vanilla and TWEAK with a little innovation !
DO NOT coordinate Joe as if he is / were Peyton Manning. He is not. I'll be happy if he just runs out of the pocket a few times a game :)

Edited by Grapple Raven, 10 December 2012 - 10:14 PM.
Profanity

#19 Joebag

Joebag

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

I tried to hang in there with Cam but must agree a change in direction is likely overdue. This has been a crazy year for the Ravens and about as brutal as ever on the Ravens faithful. Nevertheless, we are 9 - 4 and in pretty good shape. We won some games we shouldn't have and lossed some we should have won so I guess it's all a wash.

Going forward, I hope to see more misdirection in our play-calling. We had one or two awesome drives yesterday where we were really pounding the rock before switching over to a few vanilla pass plays. Other teams have no choice but to respect our play-action, especially when we're jamming the ball down their throats on the ground, and I don't think Cam appreciated this fact enough to exploit it in our passing game.

Either way, onward and upward...

Good luck Jim!

Go Ravens!

#20 WLARavensFan

WLARavensFan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

@Balmere....exactly! It was either a 4-yard pass when 15 yards were needed, or a 50-yard pass when only 8 yards were needed. Cam never used the middle of the field and his play calling was always feast or famine. There was a complete lack of balance. Hoping for some improvements, but reasonably not expecting too much given the situation. I am really hoping Caldwell can make in-game adjustments better. That was my biggest pet peeve with Cam. He just refused to adjust. Hence the past two games - blowing big leads in the second half. The offense disappeared in the second half of the last two games, putting far too much pressure on an injury-riddled defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users