Photo

The Team Is Fine(this year and years to come)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Relax, guys.First of all, Cam is gone. It is a new day and the loss is now behind us. People are acting like it is the end of the world. The ravens have a chance to win this year and for years to come.
Offense:
We have a QB that does not lose games for us and has come up big for us(chargers, patriots).

A running back tandem that will be good for a long time and a fb that will lay huge blocks on people.

A wide recievers corp that has loads of talent. Boldin is no slouch and torrey smith is devloping into a fine NO.1. Jacoby is underused, but should be used more this season. In the future. doss and thompson could really produce next year, not to mention streeter(a guy who could have been a second-rounder if he stayed in school).And we could be welcoming, depending on flacco's contract and reed and lewis, dwayne bowe on to our team.

Tight ends are fine. Pitta is a solid reciever, not a very good blocker. Dickson has improved in that regard. We might not keep both and we could draft one with our abundance of supplementary picks next year.

Now, Offensive line. Yanda is a pro bowler and osemele will mold into a solid right tackle. I even believe reid has shown flashes of brilliance(look at block for rice td in pittsburgh game at baltimore). Birk has not been awful but he has regressed. This can be fixed easily with a fa acquisition or Gino.

Oher, however, has lost us 3 games this season. Philly, Pittsburgh, Yesterday. He is a solid run blocker, but is not quick enough to handle pass protection. This is partly on cam for calling so many long developing routes, but he has to improve or he may get let go in 2014. Other than that, they've done an awesome job run blocking despite a crowded box,cam's lousy in-game adjustments.

All in all, the offense has the talent to be top 10 or 15 at the bare minimum. That should change from now on.
Special Teams:They are awesome and lets hope they don't regress.

Defense
D-Line:Guys, they have improved from the kansas city and dallas debacle.Haloti looks close to 100 percent and art jones has proved Ozzie is a genius . Pernell is just getting back also and could make an impact later in the season.I think he may have lost weight too to regain some explosiveness. Kemoeatu is garbage personified. He really is a glowing weakspot. Cody is better but cant handle increased snaps even though he is not playing to his potential. Overall, run defense is better even yesterday(inside linebackers caused the massive yardage in pass and run) and pass rush is finally . If only it was there earlier in the season.

Linebackers: Outside,I believe we have a bright, bright future. Kruger needs to be resigned at the expense of reed or willams.Upshaw was not great yesterday but has been a viable contributor. So has Albert, but now we know why he is not a 3 down player(cant cover)
And Suggs should be healthy next season.Don't count him out yet this year either.

Inside, ellerbe should be resigned at the same priority as kruger. He is a beast on inside blitzes, something we lacked yesterday, and can do an adequate job covering. ray is not the same ray. lets hope mcclain is okay and will benefit from the defense getting healthier. Inside is okay this season but we could use a new one in the draft.

Secondary:
Corners should be set for years depending on webbs health status, he'll be back he knows how to rehab from the injury. Corey and jimmy should be good to go. Cary has not been bad these past games. If you remember, Chris johnson got picked on last game, not cary. However, we probably cant afford/need him at this point, depending on webb's health during the offseason.

Safety has been bad. Pollard has done his job as the "bonecrusher", but Ed Reed is not the same. He does not have the same explosiveness and cannot just guess and get to the ball like he used. he will probly walk.(hey another 8 million out of the cap for bowe or another fa).

Guys, it may seem I am writing a memoir or something but I think it is time we, as raven fans, take it easy. They have always been a winner and it is time we reciprocate what they have done for us by having FAITH. the team may have needs at LT, ILB,S,NT,but they can still win it all depending on the defense regaining its health(ellerbee and suggs) and the offense finally realizing its pontential, good riddance CAM.

Lets beat the broncos and show the world the RAVENS ARE THE DEFINITION OF RESILIENCE AND TOUGHNESS

#2 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Can I say I honestly think we now have a chance to win it all? Would that mike me crazy? I know we haven't seen how Caldwell will call games our the offense will produce but I like our chances now with Cam gone. I feel the offense will play looser and Flacco finally gets the control he wanted putting less stress on th defense hopefully cause we now sustain drives and kill clock.

#3 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

I believe there is hope for the future. I thing caldwell probably has a decent knowledge of the system and can implement it better than cameron.

#4 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

I would plus one you if I were not on a phone
Banned

#5 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

This is all true. I am happy with WRs, RBs, QBs. I feel we have the talent to win there. We have good DL prospects but we need a DE or a NT. I'm personally all for moving Ngata to NT with McPhee & Jones as bookends but I doubt that happens. I dislike our LBs not named Upshaw, Kruger, Suggs, Ellerbe & Lewis. I think McClain should be cut and eat the loss & draft a replacement & keep Ellerbe.

As for the debaclde that is our OL, I don't think it's as bad as some say. Oher's play has dropped off but it's not horrid. He may benefit from our change in coordinator. I am still for moving Oher to LG with KO at RT & drafting a guy like Aboushi as our LT. Other than that we have good prospects at OL. I think an OL of KO, Oher, Gradkowski, & Yanda is pretty mean.

Our CBs need help from the pass rush but they're good man. I like Brown, Jackson, Webb, Smith & Graham. Williams will be gone and that's OK-- we can lose him. Safety, well, we have Pollard & Reed's play has dipped. Maybe we can re-sign Reed for less now. I still think he tests FA but returns. We also have Omar Brown & Chris Thompson behind them.

As for TE, not sure why guys think we're not tendering Dickson next year. He's not going anywhere. He and Pitta will stay. I see us drafting another TE in case we can't keep both or don't want to keep both in 2014.

#6 tctony

tctony

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

The defense we are currently fielding will prevent us from doing anything.

Losing Ellerbe has had a big impact on us, I think.

Now...we should hopefully be getting Ray and Suggs back - who knows how that will effect the team. Maybe they'll get on their grind here and step it up. Maybe Jimmy Smith will make an appearance?

The offense will need to rally around the fact that we have dumped Cam. Hopefully they pull it together and start putting up 30+ a game like they are capable of.

GO RAVENS!

Posted Image

#7 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

Cam being gone is great, but it still doesn't fix our piece of 'you know what' defense.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#8 nk02442

nk02442

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

I wish I could live in La La land too. Wishfull thinking is nice but does not consitiute fact. Stop making wild rationaliztions and inprobable predictions when all the evidence would prove otherwise.

This team will regress without Better coaching, Better QB play (or QB) and some STELLAR drafting the next few years.
Something tells me, that based on lack of action the last years, all of these will not happen anytime soon.

#9 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,134 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Champions are tempered by adversity and overcome the impossible.

Why are the Ravens winners? Because they find ways to win, even when they shouldn't.

As long as the team keeps winning, the team is fine. As a fan, would you rather take risks and struggle through years of rebuilding and hope for a championship; or would you rather be contenders for years and have greater, solid chances at a title?

Posted Image

#10 tctony

tctony

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

As long as the team keeps winning, the team is fine. As a fan, would you rather take risks and struggle through years of rebuilding and hope for a championship; or would you rather be contenders for years and have greater, solid chances at a title?

That is the complete wrong attitude and the thing that irks me about some people on this forum.

This team is not "fine." They made a great PR move today by firing Cam, because the majority of fans are rightfully displeased with how this team has played.

This is a team with high expectations that they have earned. They quite frankly are not living up to them. There is a difference between winning because you're good and winning because you're lucky. Luck runs out, greatness doesn't. This team is a couple bounces away from being tied with Cleveland right now.

This team needs to man up and get the thing done. They have the talent. Now put the pieces together. Don't talk about it - be about it. Show us a consistent effort and performance from week to week. Don't drop 41 points one week, then struggle to put up 20 the next. Don't leave the other teams WRs wide open. Maybe you're adjusting to a new scheme in Week 2, but you shouldn't be in Week 13 or 14 or 15 or whatever week we're in.

Quite honestly, with this year's Ravens team, I'd rather us be struggling. This year's team shows you that they have potential to be great, but still likes to lay up their stinkers.

GO RAVENS!

Posted Image

#11 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,134 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

That is the complete wrong attitude and the thing that irks me about some people on this forum.

This is the philosophical dichotomy that this team presents us: as a fan, does it matter to you whether the team wins a Super Bowl pretty or wins a Super Bowl ugly?

It's a catch-22. No right or wrong answer. I see what you mean about striving to play better, but at the end of the day, I personally don't care how the team plays as long as they keep winning.

Posted Image

#12 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

This is the philosophical dichotomy that this team presents us: as a fan, does it matter to you whether the team wins a Super Bowl pretty or wins a Super Bowl ugly?

It's a catch-22. No right or wrong answer. I see what you mean about striving to play better, but at the end of the day, I personally don't care how the team plays as long as they keep winning.

I'd rather miss the playoffs this year in order to force the front office to see that changes need to be made so we can be great for years to come than get to the Superbowl this year and have the front office decide that the team is great the way it is and go into "head in the sand mode".

In my opinion, the Ravens' consistent winning is the reason we've been stuck with Cam for 3 years longer than it took to realize there are better coordinators out there.

Edited by NaveSenrag, 10 December 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#13 Latch

Latch

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

So excited for the game on Sunday so I can see what Caldwell can do. I think if we survive our next two games, it will be hard to say that Ravens aren't contenders, especially considering their only legitimate loss (by a margin of more than 3 points) was against Houston.

#14 TXRaven

TXRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

I believe we will indeed be fine but we do have some issues to address going forward. We have been pounded by the injury bug this yearWith Webb, Lewis, McPee, Smith, Suggs and Brown,Elerbe and now maybe McClain all missing time on the defense and Reed and Ngata playing hurt and Dixon , Pitta, and now it appears Yanda missing time on offense, and now Rice and Leech being banged up. It really has been a nightmare in that respect but we are still in good shape at 9-4 and in 1st place in our division.

#15 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

I wish I could live in La La land too. Wishfull thinking is nice but does not consitiute fact. Stop making wild rationaliztions and inprobable predictions when all the evidence would prove otherwise.

This team will regress without Better coaching, Better QB play (or QB) and some STELLAR drafting the next few years.
Something tells me, that based on lack of action the last years, all of these will not happen anytime soon.

What is the evidence that points to a poor future for years to come?
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#16 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

This team is not "fine." They made a great PR move today by firing Cam, because the majority of fans are rightfully displeased with how this team has played.

This is a team with high expectations that they have earned. They quite frankly are not living up to them. There is a difference between winning because you're good and winning because you're lucky. Luck runs out, greatness doesn't. This team is a couple bounces away from being tied with Cleveland right now.

This team needs to man up and get the thing done. They have the talent. Now put the pieces together. Don't talk about it - be about it. Show us a consistent effort and performance from week to week. Don't drop 41 points one week, then struggle to put up 20 the next. Don't leave the other teams WRs wide open. Maybe you're adjusting to a new scheme in Week 2, but you shouldn't be in Week 13 or 14 or 15 or whatever week we're in.

Quite honestly, with this year's Ravens team, I'd rather us be struggling. This year's team shows you that they have potential to be great, but still likes to lay up their stinkers.

We are also a couple plays from being atop the conference. Luck plays a major role for every single team in the league
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#17 BMORE_96

BMORE_96

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Fellas, I meant this to be a topic that would discuss why the team is not stuck in quick sand.

It may have been revealed that the front office knew cam sucked and brought Caldwell just in case this would happen. John probably displayed favoritism but the cloud has been lifted.

Rex may just be back next year, and the team does not have big holes.

And, we have this year. It is not over yet. This is not blind optimism but a fan having faith in his team and knowing this year is not the last

#18 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

What is the evidence that points to a poor future for years to come?

The evidence may come soon... if our offense fails with a new coordinator even it is an in house coordinator... Caldwell knows football and you can't blame him for the Colts 2-14 season... they were built totally around Peyton and when he went down the wheels fell off. Flacco is an average qb and we can't afford to pay him the big bucks and rebuild this team. Our defense will be there but only when we are healthy... it has not been bad with 2nd and 3rd stringers leading the team but our QB still can not read a defense or blitz when it is coming. Hate me if you want but if we resign him we will cut his go to target in Boldin and fill the team with cheap verterans. I want if we faulter in the next three games to see what Taylor can do... it may send a message to Flacco and the League that his asking price is too high... if he leaves then we can spend the money on a LT and Nose. Build our offense around the young talent we have. Flacco and T Smith have not been on the same page this year and we have young talent on offense that can gel with a new qb... or even Taylor. Keeping Boldin for his remaining year will help him (taylor)get his feet wet like Flacco did with Mason in his first year. And I have said that if we lose out we can always look for Johnny Football in 14 or 15 and maybe because I am a Hurricane fan but Morris as a late round pick (strong arm, big and mobile). That is what I want going into next year, win or lose Caldwell or someone new. Time for change and it starts not just next year but maybe now.

Edited by ravensfan520, 10 December 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#19 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

So excited for the game on Sunday so I can see what Caldwell can do. I think if we survive our next two games, it will be hard to say that Ravens aren't contenders, especially considering their only legitimate loss (by a margin of more than 3 points) was against Houston.

Look at what Brady is doing to the Houston Defense... why can't our Elite QB do that.

#20 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Look at what Brady is doing to the Houston Defense... why can't our Elite QB do that.

No Oline, Crap OC, not a genius level IQ coordinator. The Oline gets a pass bc of youth, but now Cam is gone!
Banned

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users