19 replies to this topic

#1 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

So that Week 17 game might end up being the deciding factor as to whether Cincinnati or Pittsburgh makes the playoffs.

Assuming(hoping migh be the better words choice) the Ravens can win one of the next 2 games... which would guarantee a Playoff spot, would you be okay with "throwing" or playing reserves in Week 17?

Not only does it give the starters a chance to rest since they won't have the luxury of a BYE week... but it might end up giving the Bengals a win and eliminating the Steelers from playoff contention.

And of course, since reserves likely won't be playing in the playoffs, it gives the team another chance in regular season action to see what they have talent-wise.

#2 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,586 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

So that Week 17 game might end up being the deciding factor as to whether Cincinnati or Pittsburgh makes the playoffs.

Assuming(hoping migh be the better words choice) the Ravens can win one of the next 2 games... which would guarantee a Playoff spot, would you be okay with "throwing" or playing reserves in Week 17?

Not only does it give the starters a chance to rest since they won't have the luxury of a BYE week... but it might end up giving the Bengals a win and eliminating the Steelers from playoff contention.

And of course, since reserves likely won't be playing in the playoffs, it gives the team another chance in regular season action to see what they have talent-wise.

Like its been said. We don't even have to win one more game as long as the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati game doesn't end in a tie.

With a new OC. I think we need all the additional practice (gametime) we can get. Let's go into the playoffs winning against a divisional foe. Plus the Bengals aren't anything less to fear than the Steelers.

Really the Pittsburgh-Cincy game matters more than this game. The winner goes, loser doesn't. This game might not even matter either way.

Edited by PuRock, 10 December 2012 - 01:25 PM.

Posted Image

#3 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,905 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Like its been said. We don't even have to win one more game as long as the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati game doesn't even end in a tie.

With a new OC. I think we need all the additional practice (gametime) we can get. Let's go into the playoffs winning against a divisional foe. Plus the Bengals aren't anything less to fear than the Steelers.

Really the Pittsburgh-CINCY game matters more than this game. The winner goes, loser doesn't. This game might not even matter either way.

Think this is what you meant.

#4 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,586 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Think this is what you meant.

Have a habit of doing that lately.
Posted Image

#5 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Like its been said. We don't even have to win one more game as long as the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati game doesn't end in a tie.

Really the Pittsburgh-Cincy game matters more than this game. The winner goes, loser doesn't. This game might not even matter either way.

Assuming the game doesn't matter from the standpoint that it doesn't eliminate Pittsburgh...

Would you rather "go out on a win against a division opponent" playing starters?

Or would you rather give the starters as much rest as possible?

If that game ends up meaning the division or wildcard.... is home field more important than basically a bye week for the starters?

#6 descent into the maelstrom

descent into the maelstrom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

I think fourth seed is fine. Gives us a home playoff game, which looks to be against Indy. Really nothing bad about that. It's pretty unlikely we get a bye at this point, though it's certainly still possible.

#7 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

At this point, its still too early to think about stuff like that. The Colts and Texans still have to play 2 games, at this point who knows the winner of those games.

If the Ravens can't gain position, then i think the offense plays the entire game, but the defensive starts don't. As someone said, the Bengals Steelers game will be huge because, winner puts themself in a great position to make the playoffs. However based on what the Colts do, you might have a situation where you are playing the Bengals in back to back weeks. If those guys are fighting for their season, you don't want your players going half speed against a team going 110%.

I think if the Ravens can bounce back and defeat the Broncos and NYG, I think you'll see week 17 used as a bye week of sorts for the injuries and older guys.

mj5v69.jpg

#8 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

In any case i would much rather have Cincy in the play offs and the Steelers out. Not only is it because i hate the team, it is the fact that both teams play way better against each other and seem to more aggressive. The rivalry has taken an ugly turn and right now we do not need any part of the Steelers.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#9 Ben_7toBrown_84

Ben_7toBrown_84

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Let's say the Steelers beat the Cowboys on Sunday and then lose to the Bengals next Sunday, and let's say if that happens the Ravens split their next 2 games with the Broncos and Giants which would clinch the division for them but also put them at 5 losses. The Ravens might be in a situation where they have already clinched the division going into their last game in Cincy and they can no longer improve their seeding by getting a bye week or anything. They will either be the 3 or the 4. If that indeed is the case and like I said the Steelers beat Dallas and then turn around and lose to the Bengals at home next week the only way the Steelers would be able to get in the playoffs then is if they beat the Browns and they would then need the Ravens to absolutely beat the Bengals in Cincy so that they both would finish 9-7 but the Steelers would win the tiebraker with a better division record then the Bengals at 3-3 to their 2-4. The bottom line is if you are the Steelers you do NOT under any circumstances want to put your fate in the hands of the Ravens to have to win a game to help you get in the playoffs especially if they have nothing to play for. Because you can bet your last dollar that Harbaugh and that whole Ravens team will know the scenario and you can take it to the bank that they will tank that game on purpose so that the Steelers do not get into the playoffs and the Bengals do. I think Harbaugh hates the Steelers that much and the animosity is so strong that he would have no problem doing that.

Now you can say on here what you want about their being no difference between playing the Steelers and the Bengals in the playoffs and that is a load of crap in my opinion. The Steelers have a ton of players with not only a ton of playoff experience but Super Bowl experience and Super Bowl winning experience and they have players that know how to win and know what the playoffs are all about. They also have Ben Roethlisberger back who when and if he is on is one of the most dangerous QB's you dont want to face in the playoffs. Now you look at the Steelers and then you compare that to facing the a team like the Bengals. What have the Bengals done the last 4-5 years that would make you fear them more then a team with a ton of playoff experience like the Steelers?? What have they proven?? Sure they made the playoffs last year but the bottom line is they dont win playoff games, when they do get to the playoffs they dont win, The jury is still out on a guy like Andy Dalton who has had some success but has yet to prove he is a big time QB and can beat teams like the Ravens or the Steelers when it matters. So while I am a Steelers fan no doubt and I am not just saying this because I am but anybody who is going to come on here and say that there is more reason to be just as scared if not more scared to play a team like the Bengals over the Steelers is a bit delusional in my opinion...

#10 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,504 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

If we beat the Bengals, we win the division. We'd be at 10-6 at least, any Cinci and Pitt both have 6 losses already and lose the tiebreakers to us. The games against the Giants and Broncos technically only give us seeding advantages, with the capability of winning the division beforehand. With ANY win, we have the division.

#11 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Can we get through weeks 15 and 16 first... Thanks!
Banned

#12 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

The last time a team let the Bengals creep in they lost. I'd rather play to win.

#13 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

We need to win one of the last three games and the Bengals will have to be our win. That would get us into the play offs and most likely the Bengals out. Would love to see the Steelers out because ben will be back and if we cannot beat Batch how do we beat a future HOF player ? We need to play smart and keep our Defense off of the field in every game as much as possible as they can only hurt our cause.

#14 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

This will be the only game we win......

#15 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

By no means are we out of the play off picture if we lose out. Some very strange things need to happen to eliminate us but we need to be on track with either the offense or defense along with our steady special teams play. In any case though how far do you think we really go in the play offs. one and done, 2 and out at best right.

#16 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Whew this is a bit of early speculation here, but as fans we have the luxury of taking a peek at the remaining schedule.

So while it's a tough schedule, I think the Ravens can find a way to win a game or two. If we can win a game or two our chances of getting a homefield play-off game or advantage goes up tremendously especially if we beat the Broncos/Bengals or both. If you look at the last two super bowl winners they didn't rank high in the power rankings or even look like a lock to get to the play-offs. But what those teams did was start to play their best football in December.

If we can do that, AND get a little healthier then I think we can shock the world in February.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#17 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Whew this is a bit of early speculation here, but as fans we have the luxury of taking a peek at the remaining schedule.

So while it's a tough schedule, I think the Ravens can find a way to win a game or two. If we can win a game or two our chances of getting a homefield play-off game or advantage goes up tremendously especially if we beat the Broncos/Bengals or both. If you look at the last two super bowl winners they didn't rank high in the power rankings or even look like a lock to get to the play-offs. But what those teams did was start to play their best football in December.

If we can do that, AND get a little healthier then I think we can shock the world in February.

Out of the three which 2 do we beat in your opinion friend. My choices would be Giants and Bengals.

#18 blazeon32

blazeon32

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

By no means are we out of the play off picture if we lose out. Some very strange things need to happen to eliminate us but we need to be on track with either the offense or defense along with our steady special teams play. In any case though how far do you think we really go in the play offs. one and done, 2 and out at best right.

Nope. I believe we're in even if we lose the rest of our games. THe only way we can be knocked out is if we lose out and the Steelers and Bengals tie. It's very doubtful that will happen. We just need one win in the next three games to clinch the division, but I really don't want the team backing into the playoffs.

#19 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

I am not scared if we are playing against either the Bengals or the Steelers; what scares me to most is our offense don't step up and continue playing inconsistently. If this Sunday Joe beats Manning like he did it against Brady, I'm confident that we're moving forward as contending playoff team.
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#20 NaveSenrag

NaveSenrag

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Why bother? Our offense needs all of the practice it can get and most of our defensive starters will be resting anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users