29 replies to this topic

#1 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

If the Oline is only giving Joe 3-4 seconds on a Blitzing down, why are we not incorporating a short passing game with a speedy receiver to allow Joe to get the ball out of his hands quicker? The lack thereof has cost us at least 3 losses this year IMO.

#2 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Look what Torre did on that quick slant in SD, 60 yards. Did we try that yesterday with him? Are we saving that play for the super bowl, like we have been saving Ray Rice?

#3 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,741 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

Cam's offense doesn't incorporate many short routes. It's been especially clear the past three seasons.
"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#4 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Cam's offense doesn't incorporate many short routes. It's been especially clear the past three seasons.

That would be a real easy fix to an Oline that can't sustain a block, and possibly prevent another Flacco fumble.

#5 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

I mean look at Brady/Welker combo, quick release, we need a speedy receiver to do this, like Torre, Jacoby, or RR.

#6 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,741 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

That would be a real easy fix to an Oline that can't sustain a block, and possibly prevent another Flacco fumble.

You're preaching to the choir but as we've seen numerous times with the OC, he'd rather stick to his game-plan than make an adjustment.

Posted Image

#7 Dfence4champs2052

Dfence4champs2052

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Look what Torre did on that quick slant in SD, 60 yards. Did we try that yesterday with him? Are we saving that play for the super bowl, like we have been saving Ray Rice?

For some reason, they don't have Torrey run the entire route tree. You are right that slant was nice and he made their defense pay. Again, no adjustments. Terrible coaching.

<p>2ilg2yr.jpg
SIG COURTESY OF BALTIMOREFLACCO!

#8 CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Where is Jacoby Jones on offense?

Posted Image

#9 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

Isn't that why the squealers incorporated a short passing game bc Ben kept getting hit with similar Oline issues and passing routes?

#10 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,741 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Where is Jacoby Jones on offense?

An afterthought.

He saw one target yesterday while Leach and Pierce got a combined four. Ridiculous.

Posted Image

#11 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,353 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

If the Oline is only giving Joe 3-4 seconds on a Blitzing down, why are we not incorporating a short passing game with a speedy receiver to allow Joe to get the ball out of his hands quicker? The lack thereof has cost us at least 3 losses this year IMO.

Like ER said. Its the coordinator. His Air Coryell system doesn't call for it. And Cam is a Stickler.

Isn't that why the squealers incorporated a short passing game bc Ben kept getting hit with similar Oline issues and passing routes?

Same Answer. New Coordinator. It really didn't have to do with Ben as much as it did with Haley's style. Plus Ben's pressures come more from him holding the ball and shifting the pocket than the line itself.

Edited by PuRock, 10 December 2012 - 11:21 AM.

Posted Image

#12 billick

billick

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

It is only used on 4 th & 29.
Offensive Genuis & Quarterback Guru

#13 dirtybird10

dirtybird10

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Because that would be something a good offense would (and often does) incorporate. Often times you see the more prolific offenses making big plays with passes that only travel 5-8 yards down field, but put the receiver in a position to break open. Our offense seems to think a big pass play can only come in the form of 20+ yards through the air. Either that or a 5 yard pass that must be caught and downed on the spot.I am hoping with the removal of Cam, this may change. :)

Edited by dirtybird10, 10 December 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#14 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,126 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

now that Cam is FINALLY out and Caldwell is in...i guess that we'll see more of these routes and others (that Cam failed to use) that'll make Joe more successful as a QB. maaaaan....i'm excited right now!

~Mili

Militant X 1

RayLewisSig1_zps3a0863e0.png

"I May be Done but I'm not Gone!"

- Ray Lewis

#15 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,166 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

That wasn't a slant. That was a shallow cross. But point taken.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#16 The Prestige

The Prestige

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Now that he's THE MAN, Caldwell can talk to Flacco and the receivers about sight adjustments and changing routes pre-snap and during a play.

If I were running the offense, I'd have 3WR-4WR when running "no huddle".

I'd put Torrey Smith out there all the time, Boldin close to 55% of the time, and use David Reed and Deonte Thompson even more often than Jacoby Jones, who I still love. They could grade out the receivers every Monday. The wide outs who play well will get more snaps in the next one.

Also, I could not be happier with how Harbaugh handled the presser. Usually, he tries to pass blame around which has to irritate receivers and backs who played their tails off. He had a forceful, yet humble tone today. He knows that while the move was a popular one among players, it was still big for him to show he had no doubt about his decision.

#17 nextgen_RavensFan

nextgen_RavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I think we will get a big dose of the short drop offs nows that work well for us and our guys can make plays after the catch. Man i miss Mason. He was crazy good gaining yards after the catch.
This spot reserved for Super Bowl celebratory images !!

#18 Gashman

Gashman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Jaws just said on ESPN that Cams demise was the routes he kept having the receivers run. They need a modern offense with bunches and rubs to create separation. AMEN

#19 DavidJGuyton

DavidJGuyton

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

I have been asking this question for 2 or 3 years myself. Seems like it's always a handoff to Rice or a 50 yarder to Smith. All fine and dandy but the short pass works SO well for other teams....and for us when we try it. Just look how well Boldin and Pitta do when Joe hits them at 5-10 yars upfield.
Mighty Hammer Down!
Go Ravens

#20 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

hopefully by "minor tweaks" shortening the routes is one of them. our oline just can't take it anymore.
"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users