Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gashman

Where is the short passing game?

30 posts in this topic

If the Oline is only giving Joe 3-4 seconds on a Blitzing down, why are we not incorporating a short passing game with a speedy receiver to allow Joe to get the ball out of his hands quicker? The lack thereof has cost us at least 3 losses this year IMO.

Look what Torre did on that quick slant in SD, 60 yards. Did we try that yesterday with him? Are we saving that play for the super bowl, like we have been saving Ray Rice?

Cam's offense doesn't incorporate many short routes. It's been especially clear the past three seasons.

[quote name='Ed_Reed20' timestamp='1355153928' post='1255162']
Cam's offense doesn't incorporate many short routes. It's been especially clear the past three seasons.
[/quote]

That would be a real easy fix to an Oline that can't sustain a block, and possibly prevent another Flacco fumble.

I mean look at Brady/Welker combo, quick release, we need a speedy receiver to do this, like Torre, Jacoby, or RR.

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1355154604' post='1255195']
That would be a real easy fix to an Oline that can't sustain a block, and possibly prevent another Flacco fumble.
[/quote]

You're preaching to the choir but as we've seen numerous times with the OC, he'd rather stick to his game-plan than make an adjustment.

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1355153678' post='1255149']
Look what Torre did on that quick slant in SD, 60 yards. Did we try that yesterday with him? Are we saving that play for the super bowl, like we have been saving Ray Rice?
[/quote]

For some reason, they don't have Torrey run the entire route tree. You are right that slant was nice and he made their defense pay. Again, no adjustments. Terrible coaching.

Isn't that why the squealers incorporated a short passing game bc Ben kept getting hit with similar Oline issues and passing routes?

[quote name='CorvusCorax' timestamp='1355155885' post='1255258']
Where is Jacoby Jones on offense?
[/quote]

An afterthought.

He saw one target yesterday while Leach and Pierce got a combined four. Ridiculous.

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1355153562' post='1255145']
If the Oline is only giving Joe 3-4 seconds on a Blitzing down, why are we not incorporating a short passing game with a speedy receiver to allow Joe to get the ball out of his hands quicker? The lack thereof has cost us at least 3 losses this year IMO.
[/quote]

Like ER said. Its the coordinator. His Air Coryell system doesn't call for it. And Cam is a Stickler.

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1355156181' post='1255274']
Isn't that why the squealers incorporated a short passing game bc Ben kept getting hit with similar Oline issues and passing routes?
[/quote]

Same Answer. New Coordinator. It really didn't have to do with Ben as much as it did with Haley's style. Plus Ben's pressures come more from him holding the ball and shifting the pocket than the line itself.

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1355153562' post='1255145']
[/quote]

Because that would be something a good offense would (and often does) incorporate. Often times you see the more prolific offenses making big plays with passes that only travel 5-8 yards down field, but put the receiver in a position to break open. Our offense seems to think a big pass play can only come in the form of 20+ yards through the air. Either that or a 5 yard pass that must be caught and downed on the spot.I am hoping with the removal of Cam, this may change. :)

now that Cam is FINALLY out and Caldwell is in...i guess that we'll see more of these routes and others (that Cam failed to use) that'll make Joe more successful as a QB. maaaaan....i'm excited right now!

~Mili

[quote name='Gashman' timestamp='1355153678' post='1255149']
[/quote]
That wasn't a slant. That was a shallow cross. But point taken.

Now that he's THE MAN, Caldwell can talk to Flacco and the receivers about sight adjustments and changing routes pre-snap and during a play.

If I were running the offense, I'd have 3WR-4WR when running "no huddle".

I'd put Torrey Smith out there all the time, Boldin close to 55% of the time, and use David Reed and Deonte Thompson even more often than Jacoby Jones, who I still love. They could grade out the receivers every Monday. The wide outs who play well will get more snaps in the next one.

Also, I could not be happier with how Harbaugh handled the presser. Usually, he tries to pass blame around which has to irritate receivers and backs who played their tails off. He had a forceful, yet humble tone today. He knows that while the move was a popular one among players, it was still big for him to show he had no doubt about his decision.

I think we will get a big dose of the short drop offs nows that work well for us and our guys can make plays after the catch. Man i miss Mason. He was crazy good gaining yards after the catch.

Jaws just said on ESPN that Cams demise was the routes he kept having the receivers run. They need a modern offense with bunches and rubs to create separation. AMEN

I have been asking this question for 2 or 3 years myself. Seems like it's always a handoff to Rice or a 50 yarder to Smith. All fine and dandy but the short pass works SO well for other teams....and for us when we try it. Just look how well Boldin and Pitta do when Joe hits them at 5-10 yars upfield.

hopefully by "minor tweaks" shortening the routes is one of them. our oline just can't take it anymore.

[/quote]

My thought exactly. The guy's notched, what, a single offensive TD all year? I'd think with his returning chops he'd be great with a few dink an dunk passes.

It's amazing watching the Pats/Texans how many passes are thrown to the middle of the field, both offenses have hot read quick slants built in in case pressure come usually in bunches.....<whew> I am so glad to see this happen, I am hoping we see some real offense next week

I'm hoping Caldwell's ideas do a number on this offense. Q should be in the slot, the tight ends should be used in the middle more, Torrey and Jacoby can run those routes - heck, not a single one of our guys, Torrey, Q, Jacoby, Tandon, LaQuan, Reed, Deonte - was ever primarily used as an outside the numbers receiver before they got here.

Actually the oline besides other did a good job. The culprit is mainly cam and the passing game. We should have went for 300 yards passing against these guys who have the worst secondary in the nfl. A change is coming, a good one. I wonder how joe is feeling?

[quote name='BMORE_96' timestamp='1355200005' post='1257392']
Actually the oline besides other did a good job. The culprit is mainly cam and the passing game. We should have went for 300 yards passing against these guys who have the worst secondary in the nfl. A change is coming, a good one. I wonder how joe is feeling?
[/quote]
Happy lol'

[/quote]

lol. The only times he's on camera is either when he's returning balls or on the sidelines with his helmet off.

I'm very excited about the prospect of a quick passing offense under Caldwell; I'm sure he'll implement it given the players we have, specifically Q and even Doss