Ravens at Texans      Roster      Game Rewind   

Photo

Merged: Coaching Decisions that cost us...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 PDO

PDO

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Quite simply...

#1) After the Rice TD, we should have gone for two. The risk is that you don't get it, and you're still up by 7, and you lose the chance of winning by stopping the two point convert. The reward is that if you get it, it's now a two possession game and likely over. Maybe they get it, maybe they don't, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt us.

#2) Taking the ball first in OT. The way the rules are set up now, you're MUCH better off to get the ball second, especially given the injury to RGIII. Let a 2nd round rookie try and move the ball, and if he doesn't, you're likely just needing a first down, maybe two, to kick the game winning FG...

Neither of those calls would have been conventional, but either one of them would have given us a better opportunity at winning.

#2 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Quite simply...

#1) After the Rice TD, we should have gone for two. The risk is that you don't get it, and you're still up by 7, and you lose the chance of winning by stopping the two point convert. The reward is that if you get it, it's now a two possession game and likely over. Maybe they get it, maybe they don't, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt us.

I actually thought about that as well. The defense was getting gashed again because they're plugs. Belichick would have gone for it. I think most coaches would have.

#3 Bravens292

Bravens292

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

and don't forget "playing not to lose" during the end of the 1st half.....
"Thats what white guys do when they're excited" - Joe Flacco

#4 Dfence4champs2052

Dfence4champs2052

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

Yes, because we had a much better chance of holding them to a field goal then marching and scoring a TD on our first possession. We all know why that is.

<p>2ilg2yr.jpg
SIG COURTESY OF BALTIMOREFLACCO!

#5 RedFire

RedFire

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

You drive down the field with 29secs and 1 timeout to get in field goal range....bottom line!

#6 i82much

i82much

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

Chicken-crap, playing scared, cowardice. Timid BS that is just not good enough to get us to the promised land.

#7 display name

display name

Gotham's Reckoning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

Harbs is a great offseason/motivational coach. But a terrible in-game coach.
Terrible.

The Raven, on 03 Jan 2012-624 PM, said:

"You have reached your quota of negative votes for the day"

VIVA LA BUTT-FUMBLE!!!

Malkavian Raven, on 4 June 2014, said: "Display's off his meds again. Alert the white coats with the butterfly nets."

#8 Ragin'Raven

Ragin'Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

I was sort of wondering why they didn't try to throw the ball deep down the field on the last drive before halftime. You at least try for one long pass.

I'm a mama of three boys. Nothing scares or disgusts me anymore. 

#9 MTRavensFan

MTRavensFan

Pro Bowler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

Horrible, horrible coaching decisions.
29 seconds, 2 time outs, and we just lay down and give up?
Total lack of confidence in your players, fearful play-calling is no way to win a game, much less a championship.

As much as I love Harbs, whoever is responsible for that decision deserves to be fired. Our guys played their hearts out, they deserve better than this.

"I would suggest not wringing those hands so hard that you sprain them. Take a chill pill." - Eisenbergf4ia7s.jpg

#10 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Harbs is a great offseason/motivational coach. But a terrible in-game coach.
Terrible.

He is chicken out and thought if we hold on to the lead, we will win; but but with 28th ranked defense in the league??

wow....I agree Harbs has been an outstanding coach in the offseason but in game is just horrific as ever been.

PS: what's up with playing not to lose or playing 60 min game?
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#11 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Horrible, horrible coaching decisions.
29 seconds, 2 time outs, and we just lay down and give up?
Total lack of confidence in your players, fearful play-calling is no way to win a game, much less a championship.

As much as I love Harbs, whoever is responsible for that decision deserves to be fired. Our guys played their hearts out, they deserve better than this.

It's like you have 2min running offense without timeout...stupid not to put some more points against hot coming RGIII offense. Besides, does Harbs still think our used to be defense bail us out again?
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#12 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Did this irritate anyone else?

Before the half you have 44 sec and two TOs, yet you take the knee?

Before the end of the regulation, 30 secs and a timeout, and again, you take the knee?

Why not give one of the best kickers in the league a shot? Where is the killer instinct on this coaching staff? And if you (the coaches) have so little faith in Flacco to move the ball, then why do you want him here?

#13 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Did this irritate anyone else?

Before the half you have 44 sec and two TOs, yet you take the knee?

Before the end of the regulation, 30 secs and a timeout, and again, you take the knee?

Why not give one of the best kickers in the league a shot? Where is the killer instinct on this coaching staff? And if you (the coaches) have so little faith in Flacco to move the ball, then why do you want him here?

And if there's a fumble or a tipped pass you'd give the game away. If it's under 45 seconds, which is statistically about 10 yards, you have a much greater chance of losing going for it. It's called playing smart.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#14 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

And if there's a fumble or a tipped pass you'd give the game away. If it's under 45 seconds, which is statistically about 10 yards, you have a much greater chance of losing going for it. It's called playing smart.

I can understand not doing it at the end of regulation, where a mistake loses the game.

But why not do it before the half, when you not only have the lead, but you get the ball to start the second half? That to me is cowardice.

Edited by ratedr, 09 December 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#15 i82much

i82much

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

I can deal with losing, but least die with your boots on.

#16 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

I can understand not doing it at the end of regulation, where a mistake loses the game.

But why not do it before the half, when you not only have the lead, but you get the ball to start the second half? That to me is cowardice.

Because it's 30 seconds left, and in obvious passing situations your QB can get hurt. If there's a minute on the clock you go for it. If there's 50 it depends. If it's 40 or less, you don't go for it. Period. Unless you get the ball around the 40.

Officially.

#17 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

That's Harbs' gameplan ahead of time; let's play convervative and not turning the ball over. Well, we turn over the ball 2 times during crucial time. I think Harbs is choking badly, not believing in his players......

It's downright horrific for our coaching staffs.....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#18 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,440 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Because it's 30 seconds left, and in obvious passing situations your QB can get hurt. If there's a minute on the clock you go for it. If there's 50 it depends. If it's 40 or less, you don't go for it. Period. Unless you get the ball around the 40.

It was 44 seconds with 2 timeouts in your pocket.

#19 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

It was 44 seconds with 2 timeouts in your pocket.

We were at the 20 right?

Officially.

#20 Latch

Latch

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Totally agree with both of these points, I just think that once again Harbs (i love the guy, but he's a little bit of a softie) stuck to the safe side of things. Although deep passes at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarter could have cost turnovers, have you ever heard of the expression 'go down fighting'? Plain and simple, the coaches and the players laid down for Washington today.