Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhstandard

Trading Oher?

129 posts in this topic

He is probably the worst player starting on the team right now. He was getting beat nearly every play whether in the run or in the pass. Osemele has a bright future ahead of him at RT and Oher would is not the type of player to make the switch to Guard.

I say trade him this offseason to the Cardinals for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Sign Jake Long who struggled this year and suffered an injury. He should come at a low price and i'm sure will be much much better than Oher will ever be.

i don't think its worth it but i definitely don't want him at LT. someone find a LT so he and KO can play their natural positions.

I'm waiting for the Oher fans to come out. I wonder if things have changed since my original thread against him.

Mckinne isn't that great either, LT is definitely a big question going into this upcoming offseason.

He started great this year, but has totally dropped off these last few games. The oline needs reshuffled. He needs moved to left guard, and we need a left tackle.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1355091953' post='1253289']
He started great this year, but has totally dropped off these last few games. The oline needs reshuffled. He needs moved to left guard, and we need a left tackle.
[/quote]Do you think KO would be a better G than Oher

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1355091184' post='1253172']
He is probably the worst player starting on the team right now. He was getting beat nearly every play whether in the run or in the pass. Osemele has a bright future ahead of him at RT and Oher would is not the type of player to make the switch to Guard.

I say trade him this offseason to the Cardinals for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Sign Jake Long who struggled this year and suffered an injury. He should come at a low price and i'm sure will be much much better than Oher will ever be.
[/quote]

I've been saying this for the last 2 years. Oher is too much of a liability in pass protection. He is a capable run blocker, this is why he was playing RT in years past, but if you watched him at RT during passing plays, he is just as awful pass protecting. Back up players in the NFL can pass protect better at RT. So obviously, he is too much of a liability at LT and at best a RT if he starts. But my argument is that the guy just isn't a starter in the NFL. If we want to be a versatile offense that can also pass the ball, we cannot start Oher at all. Osemelie looks to be a solid future starter, in fact he could possibly become the Ravens long term LT with more experience. I think Jah Reid looked pretty good at RT, from the little i saw from him as a rookie last season, and has potential to be our long term RT even. This is why i thought the best position for Oher is to move inside to LG. He has the skills to be a good LG and wouldn't be responsbile for picking up pass rushers from the outside. Obviously if we could trade him and get something it would be great, but i don't think he is worth much and we are still looking for a long term LG, why not just use Oher?

Oher is fine. Has plenty of potential..... Put him back at RT next year. Go for Jake Long. Never worry about protecting Joe again.

[quote name='Cville-Raven' timestamp='1355092005' post='1253299']
Do you think KO would be a better G than Oher
[/quote][quote name='Cville-Raven' timestamp='1355092005' post='1253299']
Do you think KO would be a better G than Oher
[/quote]the question should be who's the better right tackle
E

[quote name='jimmypowder' timestamp='1355091599' post='1253236']
[b]Oher is a RT plain & simple .[/b]

Time to see McKinnie at LT and Oher at RT

Osemele at LG
[/quote]

Exactly. Dumb people force square pegs in round holes. This team is terrible plain and simple. I will give him the fact Joe made zero line adjustments on two sacks where there were 5 blitzers....but Oher was a turnstyle.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1355093073' post='1253404']
Oher is fine. Has plenty of potential..... Put him back at RT next year. Go for Jake Long. Never worry about protecting Joe again.
[/quote]

I'd be very onboard with this plan.

[quote name='Dfence4champs2052' timestamp='1355093741' post='1253467']
I'd be very onboard with this plan.
[/quote]
The only problem is that Cam Cameron is trying to be conservative, so he convinced Oz to do this as well.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1355093073' post='1253404']
[/quote]

Honestly, i'd rather have Osemele at RT than Oher. Oher was getting beat on the right side and Osemele is doing better and he's only a rookie.

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1355095839' post='1253635']
Honestly, i'd rather have Osemele at RT than Oher. Oher was getting beat on the right side and Osemele is doing better and he's only a rookie.
[/quote]

The way its looking, if Yanda's injury is serious, we may have to slide Osemele inside to RG. Unless they just stick with Bobbie Williams there. I hope not though.

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1355091184' post='1253172']

[/quote]
1) Birk is by far the worst starter he provides almost no protection.
2) You are out of your mind if you think we could afford an All-Pro caliber LT.
3) You are out of your mind if you think Long would come at a low price.
4) How would you know he is not the type of player to switch to guard?
5) Why would you trade one of our very few serviceable tackles since you know we would have zero depth if we traded him?

[quote name='Miami Hurricane' timestamp='1355096387' post='1253692']
1) Birk is by far the worst starter he provides almost no protection.
2) You are out of your mind if you think we could afford an All-Pro caliber LT.
3) You are out of your mind if you think Long would come out a low price.
4) How would you know he is not the type of player to switch to guard?
5) Why would you trade one of our very few serviceable tackles since you know we would have zero depth if we traded him?
[/quote]
I want to get Long, but thats Unrealistic to an extreme

Oher is a guard, he is a great run blocker, average pass blocker. McKinnie is a finesse pass blocker but gets the job done.

Smoked by Trent Cole in Philly, cost us the game. Embarrassed by Liuget on 4th and 1 in San Diego. Didn't block a single person in Rice's TD run last week. Smoked by James Harrison yet again last week, cost us the game. Abused by Kerrigan and gave up another strip sack to someone else, again costing the game. The combination of Oher's halfhearted footwork and Flacco's awareness costs us more games from blindside DE strip sacks than probably any team in the league.

His first step is blindingly quick, and that's all he's got. After that, he does a single punch and watches as his man proceeds to run past him, no footwork at all. Quick feet are useless if you only use them on your first step swing out.

He's frequently a low effort run blocker, just jumps out puts a hand or two on a guy and stops blocking to watch Rice run. He gets credited with being a great run blocker, I don't see it.

The defenses of he's a good RT and was so promising in his rookie year I find to both be false and baseless.

I hate not liking the dude, he's a guy you'd obviously love to root for, but he's...not good, and was never better than average on his infrequent best days.

You know, the real problem with trading Oher is finding someone who would want him.

I thought Oher started off the season well, but only recently he really hasnt played well. LT is definitely a concern, as is LG. I hate having multiple positions of concern on the offensive line.

[quote name='Free Agent' timestamp='1355104499' post='1254252']
I thought Oher started off the season well, but only recently he really hasnt played well. LT is definitely a concern, as is LG. I hate having multiple positions of concern on the offensive line.
[/quote]

the good thing is both KO and Oher can play LG/RT so just getting that LT is really key. if we find a LT, everything else should fall in place.

[quote name='Bravens292' timestamp='1355104869' post='1254278']
the good thing is both KO and Oher can play LG/RT so just getting that LT is really key. if we find a LT, everything else should fall in place.
[/quote]
Even RT. If we could play Osemele at guard we'd be better off as well. Basically we're one lineman short of a starting 5. But yes, ideally we'd have an LT.

That being said, don't plan on seeing a tackle drafted in the first round for quite sometime. Unless we have a really bad season and get a top 15 pick.

[quote name='Free Agent' timestamp='1355104499' post='1254252']
I thought Oher started off the season well, but only recently he really hasnt played well. LT is definitely a concern, [b]as is LG[/b]. I hate having multiple positions of concern on the offensive line.
[/quote]

I thought Harewood did a good job to start the season, so I'm still trying to figure out what happened to that guy. I don't think Reid has been that terrible, and with a halfway decent LT next to him he'd be good. LT is definitely a problem. When you play in a division with the edge rushers the Ravens consistently face you have to have someone that can match up against them. Every time they play the Steelers, Oher proves he is incapable of that task.

Im tired of moving all the lineman around and out of their natural positions. Get a LT and they can focus on their position and our oline will be a whole lot better.

Honestly, I trade Oher for a copy of 'The Blindside' DVD. Then I'd get to see some real OL blocking.

[quote name='ravefan52' timestamp='1355105098' post='1254294']
Im tired of moving all the lineman around and out of their natural positions. Get a LT and they can focus on their position and our oline will be a whole lot better.
[/quote]
This.Oher is giving it his best try, but he is simply not a LT.I agree. Put him in at RT and find a LT.McKinnie should do for now. By Flacco not having a superior pocket sense, he needs the best LT available/possible.