Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] The Caw: What It's Like Living In Redskins Country

28 posts in this topic

Ma'ake Kemoeatu and Torrey Smith help me explain the difference in fan bases.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/The-Caw-What-Its-Like-Living-In-Redskins-Country/97cff758-cd16-46e2-b0ec-b130c84172a7]View the full article[/url]

I dont even consider the Redskins being the team for Washington D.C.

The majority of people living in DC aren't even redskins fans.I know this becuase I am from DC.

One reason for this is becuase the stadium isn't even in DC. Maybe it was Redskins country in the late 60's and up to the early 90's when the stadium was stillin DC but not anymore.

The stadium is located in Landover, MD. It's about 10 min from DC. Or 5 minutes if you know your way around.

So when Ryan Mink says Redskins country it's not how he makes it sound.

Now Baltimore deserves to be called Ravens country.

I used to work in Baltimore and everytime that I go there I will see Ravens logo's, billboards, and true fans almost everywhere I go.

Not to mention the M&T Bank stadium is the main landmark you will see when you enter or leave Baltimore depending on which way you go.

And last but not least. Baltimore even named a street after Ray Lewis. Now that's Ravens country.

I never realized I was born in Redskins territory until my friends in middle school told me. I just assumed since I was born in MD and since the Ravens uniform had the MD flag on it, that the Ravens represented all of MD. I didn't know Redskins "country" went deep into MD. But I was too dedicated to the Ravens when I found out about that so I didn't switch teams.

I am also from the same area Ryan Mink is from and had to grow up around redskin fanatics all my life. When i started watching football I noticed 2 clear differences between both teams, a well run organization and a terribly run organization. I can understand old school skins fans loving the skins, but to me the skins aren't the same organization since Snyder took over. What they are better at than anybody else is creating hype every year, hyping under-performing old bums they spend crazy money on, hyping under-performing terrible draft picks, hyping under-performing coaches, and trading away 75% of their good draft picks. Snyder knows how to make money, even as an NFL franchise owner, but he can't win in the NFL because he doesn't know how to build a team. The Ravens are the exact opposite, build through the draft and create your own players. The guys we let go after getting the best out of them are the same type of players the Skins take pride in signing. I'm not saying the Skins can't win this game, RG3 is a great player, but it won't be long before defenses have tape on him and figure out how to stop him like Cam Newton. Football is a team sport, and the Redskins will be losing for years to come.

[quote name='EpicRavensfan2!' timestamp='1355009243' post='1249837']
now the writers are insulting the ravens fans....
[/quote]I guess Ryan Mink is happy with just making the playoffs every year :/

Im sorry but I didnt see anywhere in the article where Brian Mink insulted the Ravens. If you're talking about the statement that we're 6-2 and ticked, well its true. Most fans were ticked about how we won. We HAVE gotten fat on our wins and expect to win and to dominate especially on defense and the domination just hasnt been there in most games.
Do we still love our Ravens. We sure do. But we like our guys to bring the pain so we can demand the respect we believe we deserve.

@feartheflock and @EpicRavensfans2! I am happy with making the playoffs every year. Really happy. I'd be a lot happier if the Ravens won the Super Bowl, but making the playoffs every year for the past four is incredibly difficult and something that should be appreciated, not taken granted of IMO. Not trying to insult Ravens fans at all though. I understand the desire for the Lombardi. I have it too :)

My name is Mod2 and I was a Redskins fan until 1998 lol My husbands best friend got tired of my ' enemy' colors and took my to 2 games that year-- by half time of the first one my husband was at the ticket office getting a PSL contract. We actually went to the WC game against the Lions because of free tickets, a parking pass and we weren't ready for football to end. In my observation the fans changed after moving from RFK to Raljohn, I can't put my finger on it, unless it was the change in ownership.

We're going to continue winning against them. Just because RG3 knows how to move doesn't mean he knows how to beat elite teams in the AFC. We'll see how much he enjoys having Haloti fall on him in the pocket.

[quote name='feartheflock' timestamp='1355009275' post='1249838']
I never realized I was born in Redskins territory until my friends in middle school told me. I just assumed since I was born in MD and since the Ravens uniform had the MD flag on it, that the Ravens represented all of MD. I didn't know Redskins "country" went deep into MD. But I was too dedicated to the Ravens when I found out about that so I didn't switch teams.
[/quote]
The Baltimore Ravens ARE a Maryland team. The Washington Deadskins.... are not. They just couldn't afford or want to buy property in that cesspool called Washington D.C....

featherflock: Aren't you glad you're a Ravens fan? Great ownership, passionate fans and motivated and dedicated athletes....

Lucky... us fans.

living in the Chesapeake/Virginia Beach area, i too, am surrounded by skins fans. since the arrival of RG3 and their few wins....i've been seeing their gear all over the place and have to listen to the smack talk of my friends who are skins fans. i need this win tomorrow! hear me Ravens? i said...i need this win tomorrow! silence the noise....please!

~Mili

I'm from Northern Virginia and this is sooooo true. Every year they think they're super bowl bound and then they do awful. But for once I think they have a great future in RG3. Unfortunately take him away and there still a pretty bad team. Tomorrow is no gimme and the ravens better win or I'll be hearing it for the next 4 years.

I live in Virginia beach and if you see anything that looks like a raven item just rip your eyes out cause its highly unlikely... lol.. what u gonna see is of course steelers, cowboys and redskins. I had the pleasure of going to the mall and a store was called Americas team and it was just Steelers n cowboys stuff, guess what they closed cause it wasn't no raven stuff in there lol I love to see raven fans anytime one comes to my job I give them a huge discount... go ravenssss

My mom is a redskins Fan, i dont mind the redskins. Theyre a pretty humble fan base. More humble than ravens fans thats for sure. We do get mad over every loss and they lose all the time. Lol

I am old school - I remember practicing the Unitas to Mitchell bomb until we had it down. My neighbors were all-county in Howard County in the late 1970's. Yep I'm old school.

However, half of my wife's family are die-hard skins fans (and still are). She and I were at the game against the Giants when the Skins last made the playoffs. I even have a friend who plays in the Redskins Band. I made do while Baltimore had no football, forgive me. I even have a Stallions cap around here somewhere.

What I noticed when the Ravens first got here was the Skins fans in my family assumed that all discussions of Football were about the Skins. The Ravens fans not so much. I thought it was funny because I could see they were each talking by each other.

The last time they played the Ravens had their playoff spot pretty much locked up and the Skins were in dire need of a win. This time I think that the Ravens need it more. Hopefully FedEx isn't too far away from Russell Street. Go Ravens!

I'm a diehard ravens fan ,my husband a die hard skins fan since the colts left town. we watch both games every week usually together when scheduling allows. They are passionate and right now they are very happy there team is winning and excited about RG3 . I don't think they are as intense as ravens fans . I love the ravens win lose or draw I am happy when we win sad when we lose but they never lose my support ever . i can not wait to see where we go , playoffs, one and done ,superbowl which is my biggest dream for them . if not i will always be watching supporting and defending :)

Another old timer chiming in with, hopefully, cogent comments. I was born in charm city but lived most of my life in Mont. Co. But most of relatives stayed in B;More's environs and me and the siblings cut our football teeth with Unitas, Berry, Moore, Parker, "Big Daddy" Lipscomb Etc. and never wavered in our support of all B'More teams. Even when the Colts slimed their way out of town we hung tough and waited patiently for football to come to it's senses and return to charm city. It' just too bad that the two teams don't play in the same division because then we'd have a true rivalry matching the one with the Steelers. Regardless, it sure would be nice to take this one for the bragging rights over here. Go Ravens

Just remember the Skins voted (expansion) to keep us out of the NFL. They never wanted us. They did all they could to avoid us being here. Lets make Snyder and his rats pay for it. My heart goes out to Art Modell in this one. We must win this for Art.

I work in an office full of redskins fan . today is a must win or i have to call out sick for a week ....lol

If your from MD and your not a RAVENS fan then You are a TRAITOR. When i was a young child,we didn't have a FOOTBALL team, my dad would watch REDSKINS games because that was the closest team and the only thing that was airing i guess.