Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i82much

HEAP!

27 posts in this topic

Ok, I know. Bad idea. It can't be a good idea to sign him and expect him to come in and actually play. But, hey - we're fans, not coaches, so let's play devil's advocate. Don't be so serious.

Now, onto typical fan jibberish :) How many plays a game would the guy have to be in to be worth having on the roster? 10, 15? If the guy picks up two first downs a game, is it worth it? At the end of the day, Flacco probably wouldn't take long to get back into sync with him. So, if he's healthy, why the heck not? This team needs a lift anyway.

SIGN HEAP.

Signed,
A Completely Unrealistic Ravens Fanboy

I'd be on board with it. Theres nothing that could really go wrong.

But the only realistic way we'll sign him if its just a one day contract so he could retire as a Raven.

[quote name='RBates' timestamp='1354908822' post='1249069']
Why? bring back Todd heap. Let him play if he can pass a physical.
[/quote]

Maybe he could play QB?

I don't see it happening. He's been injured off and on since 2007. Hard to think we would sign him for anything else other than a 1-day contract to retire a Raven.

If we make the super bowl sign him then, let him play and catch a td, then we win and he retires.

Signing him now would be pointless he'd be no better or more useful than Pitta

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1354912433' post='1249107']
I don't see it happening. He's been injured off and on since 2007. Hard to think we would sign him for anything else other than a 1-day contract to retire a Raven.
[/quote]

We can thank Billick and Boller for Heap as he gave up his back and shoulders to try to catch Bollers "passes". Boller hung him out to dry many times. Billick being a stubborn dope could not admit he was wrong and Boller just stank up the field.

[quote name='i82much' timestamp='1354907307' post='1249047']
Ok, I know. Bad idea. It can't be a good idea to sign him and expect him to come in and actually play. But, hey - we're fans, not coaches, so let's play devil's advocate. Don't be so serious.

Now, onto typical fan jibberish :) How many plays a game would the guy have to be in to be worth having on the roster? 10, 15? If the guy picks up two first downs a game, is it worth it? At the end of the day, Flacco probably wouldn't take long to get back into sync with him. So, if he's healthy, why the heck not? This team needs a lift anyway.

SIGN HEAP.

Signed,
[/quote]

not to be too serious here.....but a few of us already knew that someone would create a thread for this....hypothetical or not.....once the news that Heap got released dropped. here is my take: why bring an aging injury prone TE back here when we have two young lions in Dickson and Pitta....The White TE that catches everything....and who is everywhere you need him to be.....so don't leave home without him....in the lineup? c'mon man! lol!
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn209/MilitantX1/smh.gif[/img]
~Mili

Lol, I knew this was coming. Well, I'll say this much: I don't see anything completely wrong, but there would need to be some questions answered first before signing him back.

1) Can he pass a physical?
2) How much?
3) Who do we cut for him?
4) Can he pick up our offense? (Shouldn't be that hard...not that complicated apparently)
5) Can he block effectively, at the same level or preferably better than Dickson, Pitta, or Bajema?
6) Can he still catch?
7) Will he even be healthy for the remainder of the season?
8) Will Bajema give him his jersey back?

Heap, when healthy, was money. In his prime he was often rated above Gonzalez. But he's got to be toast by now.

Todd took a lot of big hits in awkward positions and 99% of the time made the catch. Unfortunately that dedication and desire often rewarded him with damaging injuries. A shame because he was one that could always be depended upon to make the big play when needed.

[quote name='lgcs27288' timestamp='1354911989' post='1249103']
Maybe he could play QB?
[/quote]
I was hoping maybe you could play it.

[quote name='purplesky' timestamp='1354925363' post='1249271']

I was hoping maybe you could play it.
[/quote]

I was 3rd string QB (emergency QB, as I was a WR/FS) in high school, so.....

[quote name='1/28/01' timestamp='1354925587' post='1249275']
[/quote]
I was emergency everything in highschool, but we only had 15 people on the team....still won the championship though!

About Heap though...if he could play, why stunt the development of our other TE's? Thats a problem our team has, not trusting youngsters to hold their own, and burying them behind veterans. Let Dickson and Pitta figure their game out.

[/quote]
Too bad, I have never heard of a starting NFL quarterback in the modern era who had not played college football. However, with your FS experience, do you want to supplant Ed?

Heap has 499 career receptions.

It would be rad to sign him for one game, let him get one reception to give him an even 500 and we can all go
"Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap " one last time and he can retire as a Raven.

Yep, predictions came true.
How much money would he want?
That's a big factor. If he's not good enough for the CARDINALS, we might wanna think twice.
Maybe I'll be OK with it, but for the right price and assuming he's healthy, which he probably isn't. I don't think Ozzie will do it. It's not how he works.
There will be a LOT of drama involved.
1-day contract sounds more realistic.

[/quote]
Sorry two negs I could only fix one.

I'm having déjà vu. Isn't there already a thread on this exact same subject? Maybe it's the peyote.

[quote name='purplesky' timestamp='1354925954' post='1249283']

Too bad, I have never heard of a starting NFL quarterback in the modern era who had not played college football. However, with your FS experience, do you want to supplant Ed?
[/quote]

YES! Please!

Cut Bajema, Sign Heap as the #3 TE. Have him back up Pitta while Dickson is out, and just Deactivate Heap for each game when he comes back. We only run with two TE per game and I'd rather have Heap on the sideline in street clothes being a Ravens legend than Billy Bajema.

[quote name='ravensfan2424' timestamp='1355017636' post='1249896']
Cut Bajema, Sign Heap as the #3 TE. Have him back up Pitta while Dickson is out, and just Deactivate Heap for each game when he comes back. We only run with two TE per game and I'd rather have Heap on the sideline in street clothes being a Ravens legend than Billy Bajema.
[/quote]

Heap is done. He can't even get on the field at this point.

[quote name='i82much' timestamp='1354907307' post='1249047']

Now, onto typical fan jibberish :) How many plays a game would the guy have to be in to be worth having on the roster? 10, 15? If the guy picks up two first downs a game, is it worth it? At the end of the day, Flacco probably wouldn't take long to get back into sync with him. [b]So, if he's healthy, why the heck not? [/b] This team needs a lift anyway.

SIGN HEAP.

Signed,
[/quote]

Uh, hahaha have you been on this board long? We're ALL serious, and most of us are realistic. As far as the bolded, I think you answered your own question there. When in the last few years has Heap been healthy and stayed that way? Yea, that's why not. Sorry, I'm not going to gush and stuff over Heap. I've moved on, now I'm in love with Pitta!

[quote name='K-Dog' timestamp='1354929075' post='1249322']
Heap has 499 career receptions.

It would be rad to sign him for one game, let him get one reception to give him an even 500 and we can all go
"Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap " one last time and he can retire as a Raven.
[/quote]
Did not know that. And that would be cool!
Remember the article he paid for in the Baltimore Sun when the Cardinals came to Baltimore? Very classy guy. LOTS of respect for Todd.